Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,727 members, 7,820,516 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time (26167 Views)

Have You Been Praying At Nighttime?? Adopt This Tactic And You Shall See / Elderly Catholic Woman Has Mistakenly Been Praying Every Day To Elrond From.... / The Wrong Way To Be An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by Mediapace: 1:13pm On Jul 17, 2016
That is why one must always be prepared for death,heaven is real.

If you can pray very well,all weapons fashioned by evil-doers will not prosper

All those purnished by evil doers ,their fathers must have sinned and the bible says PARENT SINS WILL BE REVENGED ON CHILDREN
STFUareyouG0d:
you mean he'll do all these things after the evil doer has prevailed and killed the person?
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by bukason212(m): 1:20pm On Jul 17, 2016
pweeryambre:
How come wretched people pray more and they are still poor...
that's not true
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by adedayoadedeji(m): 1:21pm On Jul 17, 2016
STFUareyouG0d:
Why does God ignore prayers?
Isiah 59v1-3 Behold, the LORD’s hand is not shortened, That it cannot save; Nor His ear heavy, That it cannot hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; 2 And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear. For your hands are defiled with blood, 3 And your fingers with iniquity; Your lips have spoken lies, Your tongue has muttered perversity.
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by linearity: 1:22pm On Jul 17, 2016
coolviv:

The Hail Mary

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you. Blessed art though amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God (Jesus is God), pray for all sinners, now and at the hour of our death Amen.

As you can see, we ask her to pray for us. Just like you ask your parents or pastor to pray for you. We believe she is heaven with Jesus and is in a good position to pray for us.

The mysteries of the Holy Rosary.

The Joyful Mysteries
The Annunciation (Conception of Jesus )
The Visitation ( Mary's visit to Elizabeth, mother of John the Baptist)
The Birth of our Lord Jesus Christ.
The Presentation (Presenting of the child Jesus in the temple)
The Finding of the Child Jesus in the temple ( where he went to preach while his parents were looking for him)

The Sorrowful Mystery( The journey of Jesus towards his crucifixion)

The Glorious Mystery (His Resurrection from the death and glorious ascention into heaven)

The Luminous Mystery ( The Baptism of Jesus and his journey of miracles..turning water to wine, transfiguration and proclamation of the Kingdom of God)

These are the prayers with which the Holy Rosary is prayed. Note that everything about it is centered on the Lord Jesus and his life on earth. Just like the connection the world recognises in a mother &child, so we believe that Mary and Jesus were connected here on earth and are still connected today in heaven.

Now you don't necessarily have to believe in this or practice it but you can at least respect it the way you respect the mother of your dearest friend. You don't need to be a Catholic to get favours from her..You just need to ask as we are all her children whether we love her or not. You could be like the woman in one of her many stories where a childless woman went to one of her statues and said, ' I heard you can give children, please give me a child' and by God's grace she got it.

It's not easy to explain how she works but you just notice little little extraordinary graces or good luck in some things while leaving your life normally.

For more information on these things, Google is your friend.

Mary is the mother of the man Jesus and not the mother of the God Jesus.

The man Jesus was born flesh and blood, dwelled among us, tempted as we are, suffered, cried, and later crucified.

The God Jesus has no beginning, was not born, He created all things including Mary, Before Abramham He was, He can't be tempted, never suffered, never cried, etc....Mary a mere mortal cannot be the mother of this Jesus.

Try to understand the true concept of trinity and the dual person of Jesus and you will know that, Mary is only the mother of the man Jesus.
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by bukason212(m): 1:24pm On Jul 17, 2016
Zoharariel:
It baffles me that in this digital age where logic prevails over faith & some biblical concocted contradictory bullocks, some people still kneel & pray to an imaginary white-bearded sky fairy.

If prayer works, would Nigeria not have been transformed into a Paradise by now?

PS: Quote me with your nonsense & receive the flaming javelin of Ogun Lakaaye Oshimale straight to your heart - Awon oniranu gbogbo! grin
are you traditionist? at first, I thought u are an atheist but I read further n became confused.
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 17, 2016
Mediapace:
That is why one must always be prepared for death,heaven is real.

If you can pray very well,all weapons fashioned by evil-doers will not prosper

All those purnished by evil doers ,their fathers must have sinned and the bible says PARENT SINS WILL BE REVENGED ON CHILDREN
1. I'm not a good prayer somebody. I don't have the strenght

2. Isn't it cruel to suffer for my father's sin?

I believe in God. I love Him. I know no other God but Him. But then, as much as I tried to understand and know him more, I seem farther and more confused. Can He just reveal Himself to me? Can He not?
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by stanislaus67(m): 1:32pm On Jul 17, 2016
rattlesnake:
Why do Catholic pray to Mary sef
Because u are a Rattlesnake
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by sukkot: 1:35pm On Jul 17, 2016
jojosweet:
what is dayummm I keep seeing it.
its a funky adaptation of ' DAMN ' lol
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by Piptoes(f): 1:39pm On Jul 17, 2016
Flexherbal:
Can prayers be answered without faith?
That bible recorded that it was the faith of the woman with the issue of blood that made healed her.
Think of how to please God and be good to those around you.
the Bible says "And without faith it is impossible to please God... for HE that cometh to God must believe that he is, and HE is a rewarder of them that diligently seek HIM". Heb 11:6 (kjv)
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by sukkot: 1:44pm On Jul 17, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
The ANYTHING in that sentence, is a hyperbole
because in the real sense, you're to ask for anything within reason, ask for anything within your remit
If you ask the wrong thing, ask the wrong way, ask the wrong side of God, ask the wrong time, ask the whatever left not mentioned and you'll be a long time waiting for request to be grant

Sukkot is not an attention seeker but a bohemian

Prayer is the key, not faith
Faith is part of all the ingredients
Faith is part of a whole lot of other dynamics of getting prayers answered

Praying hard, having the biggest faith and zero doubts, wont stop you obeying the law of gravity, jumping of a tall storey building without a parachute

Click on a wrong part of any Nairaland page, hoping for a page load, is pointless
Such action of clicking or typing on a wrong section, of any Nairaland page is incapable of producing any useful result
because Seun (i.e. the god of Nairaland) hadnt coded anything to that section of the page to respond, obey or react to

STFUareyouG0d says below: Not all prayers are answered
Luke 18:1, Jesus teaches that men always ought to pray and not lose heart
This within reason, ask within your remit
Pray not the wrong thing, pray not the wrong way, pray not the wrong side of God, pray not at the wrong time,
in short, be 24/7 in communication with God without wavering
indeed my kind Sir, indeed, a bohemian lost in space cheesy
SALUTE

1 Like

Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by christisreal: 2:00pm On Jul 17, 2016
iliyande:
The most common prayer among Christians is the "Lord's Prayer", which according to the gospel accounts (e.g. Matthew 6:9-13) is how Jesus taught his disciples to pray. "The Lord's Prayer" is a model for prayers of adoration, confession and petition in Christianity.

Much of our prayer life can sometimes become about how much faith we have. We think that our prayers are answered when there is maximum faith and minimal doubt in our hearts. Otherwise it's best we try again.

But the power of prayer lies not on our faith, but on the finished work of Christ.

Faith is wonderful, and the Bible says that it is faith that pleases God. But is it also the determinant of whether our prayers get answered and how fast they get answered?

So much of the teachings on prayer nowadays focus on having more and more faith. These teachings say:

● "You should believe God more when you pray for the sick."

● "Stop doubting when you pray for financial provision and God will open the flood gates of heaven."

● "Your family isn't saved yet because when you pray, you don't pray with conviction."

Faith is important and vital to our everyday life. But do we really gain more faith in prayer by believing more and learning to doubt less? Isn't that in essence trying to get our prayers answered by our own strength?

When we think this way, then we fail to realise how faith really comes. Faith comes not by our own ability to believe or our own ability to remove doubts.

We need faith, but sadly many of us have misunderstood faith. We think it's about how much we read the Bible, how much we think about God's goodness, how much we shut out the fear when praying, or how much we cry and kneel when praying. When we think of faith this way, it now becomes faith relying on our attempts and no longer on God's power.

Hebrews 8:1-2 reminds us that it is through Jesus alone that we can now approach God in prayer. He is the high priest that mediates for us and stands on our behalf before the Father to come to His presence and offer worship, gratefulness and petition. That's why we end every prayer by saying "in Jesus' name."

Many believers pray today thinking it's their faithfulness that will get prayers answered. We watch for keywords, traditions and rudiments unawarely thinking that's what will get our prayers answered.

Even the simplest of prayers will be answered when we realise that it's God's faithfulness and not ours that answers prayers.

God's faithfulness to hear and answer our prayers does not depend on our rudiments, our works, or our ability to shut our doubts and fears. It's God that works out our faith and it is His perfect love that casts out our fears.
wow!!!Perfectly written.Thanks for the piece.Keep it up

1 Like

Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by leahcimzil: 2:26pm On Jul 17, 2016
so you identified the problem, but gave no solution. Welldone
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by ANAKONDA: 2:36pm On Jul 17, 2016
Thank you.
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by j3r3myk3n(m): 2:48pm On Jul 17, 2016
Peritus:
What happens to "anything you ask in my name, believe that you have it and you shall have it.

Well, on the flip side, many Christians, more especially the pastors, now qualify and quantify God's blessing with material gains. This has gotten to a stage that we believe God is owing us for serving Him or doing what He commanded. Many churches have forgotten the kingdom of God and are leading their members into seeking material wealth first.

Faith is required to actuate our desires, yes, but some of the things we call faith are actually selfishness in disguise and irrational material lust, or putting God to test (like confronting a lion). There are situations that call for God's will to be done, but we are always afraid to ask for His will. For instance you cant see a beautiful lady with bad character and pray that God should change her character and make her ur wife, instead of asking God to show u ur wife. Sometimes we give God unnecessary conditions forgetting that He is not a puppet.

We all need faith to function as Christians. Believe, don't entertain doubt, but let not ur fleshly desires take a lead, lest you become heavily disappointed.

God bless you sir
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 17, 2016
So asking God to deliver us from evil doers should be timed?
MuttleyLaff:
The ANYTHING in that sentence, is a hyperbole
because in the real sense, you're to ask for anything within reason, ask for anything within your remit
If you ask the wrong thing, ask the wrong way, ask the wrong side of God, ask the wrong time, ask the whatever left not mentioned and you'll be a long time waiting for request to be grant

Sukkot is not an attention seeker but a bohemian

Prayer is the key, not faith
Faith is part of all the ingredients
Faith is part of a whole lot of other dynamics of getting prayers answered

Praying hard, having the biggest faith and zero doubts, wont stop you obeying the law of gravity, jumping of a tall storey building without a parachute

Click on a wrong part of any Nairaland page, hoping for a page load, is pointless
Such action of clicking or typing on a wrong section, of any Nairaland page is incapable of producing any useful result
because Seun (i.e. the god of Nairaland) hadnt coded anything to that section of the page to respond, obey or react to

STFUareyouG0d says below: Not all prayers are answered
Luke 18:1, Jesus teaches that men always ought to pray and not lose heart
This within reason, ask within your remit
Pray not the wrong thing, pray not the wrong way, pray not the wrong side of God, pray not at the wrong time,
in short, be 24/7 in communication with God without wavering
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by iliyande(m): 3:37pm On Jul 17, 2016
cybercares:
Op, I disagree with you... The no 1 prerequisite for prayer is Faith. If you have faith in God you can do all things and everything. FAITH is very important in the life of every Christian.

Well, from my own understanding, some poor Christian don't think they are poor because they feel they are rich in the Lord and they are at peace with themselves. so they don't pray for riches like you and I, they will rather pray for more souls be saved they also believe riches can make you miss the kingdom of God.

You are rich does not mean you are loved by God and if one is poor does not mean his prayer has not been answered. Because some christains want worldly riches while others crave for heavenly riches.

I was a Muslim. I gave my life to Jesus less than 2 months ago and ever since then I have been at peace and my life has really transformed gracefully. Please like/share my post to welcome me. THANKS

Sir, I didn't not dispute the fact that faith is part Christian race, but faith is not the ultimate in the race.

welcome to Christ's way of life.

Did you convert through faith?
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by Ayatullah(m): 3:40pm On Jul 17, 2016
iliyande:
The most common prayer among Christians is the "Lord's Prayer", which according to the gospel accounts (e.g. Matthew 6:9-13) is how Jesus taught his disciples to pray. "The Lord's Prayer" is a model for prayers of adoration, confession and petition in Christianity.

Much of our prayer life can sometimes become about how much faith we have. We think that our prayers are answered when there is maximum faith and minimal doubt in our hearts. Otherwise it's best we try again.

But the power of prayer lies not on our faith, but on the finished work of Christ.

Faith is wonderful, and the Bible says that it is faith that pleases God. But is it also the determinant of whether our prayers get answered and how fast they get answered?

So much of the teachings on prayer nowadays focus on having more and more faith. These teachings say:

● "Stop doubting when you pray for financial provision and God will open the flood gates of heaven."

● "Your family isn't saved yet because when you pray, you don't pray with conviction."

Faith is important and vital to our everyday life. But do we really gain more faith in prayer by believing more and learning to doubt less? Isn't that in essence trying to get our prayers answered by our own strength?

When we think this way, then we fail to realise how faith really comes. Faith comes not by our own ability to believe or our own ability to remove doubts.

We need faith, but sadly many of us have misunderstood faith. We think it's about how much we read the Bible, how much we think about God's goodness, how much we shut out the fear when praying, or how much we cry and kneel when praying. When we think of faith this way, it now becomes faith relying on our attempts and no longer on God's power.

Hebrews 8:1-2 reminds us that it is through Jesus alone that we can now approach God in prayer. He is the high priest that mediates for us and stands on our behalf before the Father to come to His presence and offer worship, gratefulness and petition. That's why we end every prayer by saying "in Jesus' name."

Many believers pray today thinking it's their faithfulness that will get prayers answered. We watch for keywords, traditions and rudiments unawarely thinking that's what will get our prayers answered.

Even the simplest of prayers will be answered when we realise that it's God's faithfulness and not ours that answers prayers.

God's faithfulness to hear and answer our prayers does not depend on our rudiments, our works, or our ability to shut our doubts and fears. It's God that works out our faith and it is His perfect love that casts out our fears.

[b]Now you can see that Jesus' teaching of the Lord's prayer in Mathew 6:9-13 is a solemn prayer which does not call for a shouting or wailing competition. Jesus not only teaches the prayer he offered it along with his followers.

But things have changed with every denomination using their own wisdom to form their own prayer, a lot of which dwell on prosperity and are repetitive and nothing but a shouting match which Jesus frowned at when he says:
"Don't recite the same prayer over and over as the
heathens do, who think prayers are answered if
they are repeated again and again (shouting )..."
Mathew 6:7

That prayer taught by Jesus Christ is PERFECT. It is also noteworthy that the prayer does not end "In Jesus Name", but with a simple Amen. It is a prayer to be offered in humility to the Almighty God alone and alone.

Lastly Jesus totally condemn prayer as a form of showmanship and pop culture when he says:

"When you pray, don't be like the Hypocrites who pretend piety by praying publicly on street corners (Hotels, Parks etc) where everyone can see them......when you pray go away by yourself, all alone and shut the door behind you....." - Mathew 6:5-6

Therefore it is very clear that there is nowhere Jesus taught his followers to submit prayer request to any mortal called pastor or reverend father or shepherd or primate.[/b]
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by basingstoke: 3:45pm On Jul 17, 2016
rattlesnake:
Becos she is the mother of God
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by pauldiola: 3:58pm On Jul 17, 2016
na answer b d koko
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by Mediapace: 4:21pm On Jul 17, 2016
GOD can never reveal his face to anyone,NO ONE EVEN PRAY TO SEE HIS FACE COS AS WE WERE TOLD IN THE BIBLE HIS BACKWARD SHADOW HE TURNED TO MOSES WAS LIKE A ..... Of fire

The only thing i know about God is that he was created in my image
STFUareyouG0d:
1. I'm not a good prayer somebody. I don't have the strenght

2. Isn't it cruel to suffer for my father's sin?

I believe in God. I love Him. I know no other God but Him. But then, as much as I tried to understand and know him more, I seem farther and more confused. Can He just reveal Himself to me? Can He not?
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by FuckYouMods: 4:22pm On Jul 17, 2016
Teniolasmart:
2nd to comment........a front page material......;what a an achievement
CORRECTED
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by Bekkichi: 4:34pm On Jul 17, 2016
falconey:

[color=#990000][/color]

Sometimes His answer is no! Doesn't mean He ignored.
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by Ayatullah(m): 5:28pm On Jul 17, 2016
basingstoke:
Becos she is the mother of God

This is blasphemy! How can God Almighty be linked to a mother? The attributes of God among which is "The self existing" should let you know that God can NEVER be associated with a mother. Read your bible with an open mind and you will be a sane and sound mind.
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jul 17, 2016
rattlesnake:

Mary is the mediatrix of all graces .we pray through Mary for her intercession .she intreceeds for us being the mother of God .
Mary is full of grace , born without stain of sin.
Mary knew no decay ,she was assumed into heaven and in union with her son, Christ our lord .

now, your prayers and hers which one gets a quicker reply ?

1 Like

Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by walexy14(m): 6:36pm On Jul 17, 2016
if we understand what it's to be in Convenant with someone we won't be struggling with Faith
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by Dcodo: 7:04pm On Jul 17, 2016
Flexherbal:
Can prayers be answered without faith?
That bible recorded that it was the faith of the woman with the issue of blood that made healed her.
Think of how to please God and be good to those around you.

She believed that God can heal her. Her faith was focused on Jesus who can heal. She trusted Christ for healing. Faith is misplaced each time we think we can acquire same by our effort. Faith is a gift from God
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by Dcodo: 7:34pm On Jul 17, 2016
Miles300:
Without faith u cannot receive from God , God doesn't help us work our faith , it's up to us to have faith in him , faith cometh by hearing . When u keep hearing the word of God it build your faith in him .. Jesus taught us that when we pray we should believe that we receive that which we have prayed for and we will have it ..

Faith is a gift from the Holy a Spirit ( 1 cor 12: 1-9). I know u believe that Holy is God.
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by JinX100: 7:46pm On Jul 17, 2016
rattlesnake:

Is that what the article is all about or you left your brain in the toilet sit while reading...
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by GreatManBee: 7:52pm On Jul 17, 2016
iliyande:

Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by coolviv: 8:33pm On Jul 17, 2016
linearity:

Mary is the mother of the man Jesus and not the mother of the God Jesus.

The man Jesus was born flesh and blood, dwelled among us, tempted as we are, suffered, cried, and later crucified.

The God Jesus has no beginning, was not born, He created all things including Mary, Before Abramham He was, He can't be tempted, never suffered, never cried, etc....Mary a mere mortal cannot be the mother of this Jesus.

Try to understand the true concept of trinity and the dual person of Jesus and you will know that, M ary is only the mother of the man Jesus.

Hahaha haha. ..so God sent us a fake Jesus while the real one was still in heaven.
Brother pls, He sent his only begotten son to the world....#HisONLYbegottenson. #Hebecameman.
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by coolviv: 8:42pm On Jul 17, 2016
Ayatullah:

This is blasphemy! How can God Almighty be linked to a mother? The attributes of God among which is "The self existing" should let you know that God can NEVER be associated with a mother. Read your bible with an open mind and you will be a sane and sound mind.

The Great and Mighty God became man and took all our iniquities so that we might be saved if we believe. He didn't jump down to earth from heaven which He had all the power to do. Instead He chose to be conceived...carried for 9 months and birthed with labour pains. Now if after all these, she is not His mother then as surely as your logic, your mother is not your mother...
Re: How We've Been Praying The Wrong Way All This Time by linearity: 8:50pm On Jul 17, 2016
coolviv:

Hahaha haha. ..so God sent us a fake Jesus while the real one was still in heaven.
Brother pls, He sent his only begotten son to the world....#HisONLYbegottenson. #Hebecameman.

You clearly do not understand what I said or have a very swallow understanding of the trinity and the persons of Jesus....The Jesus that was sent by God and born of Mary, was both Man and God...If you read the scriptures clearly, he was sometime referred to as Man and something as God.

His deity as God existed before the creation of the Universe and Mary cannot be the mother of the Jesus, the deity call God, He was before Abraham and Methuselah from the old testament even came to pay tithe to him as the high priest. Mary is only the mother of the Man - Jesus, the one whole was tempted as we were and suffered as we are....

Again, am speaking of the same Jesus.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

If Weed Plant Is From God Then Why Will It Be A Sin If You Use It / Obama's Unbiblical Declaration / Tunde Bakare - Ese: "Yunusa's Manhood Should Be Cut Off "

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.