Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,445 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

Arase Accused Of Confiscating 24 Police Cars - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Arase Accused Of Confiscating 24 Police Cars (392 Views)

Arase Left With 24 Police Vehicles –acting IG / Buhari Presents A Gift To Arase, Outgoing IG Of Police ( Photos) / Buhari Shops For Arase’s Replacement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Arase Accused Of Confiscating 24 Police Cars by Jerrypolo(m): 9:47am On Jul 18, 2016
Former IGP, Solomon Arase has been accused of taking away 24 cars following his retirement
– Acting inspector general of police (IGP) Ibrahim Idris says Arase is only entitled to four vehicles upon retirement
– Says the former IGP and other retired officers have been told to return the vehicles they took
Former inspector general of police, Solomon Arase in being investigated for the disappearance of many vehicles parked at force headquarters following his retirement.
According to The Punch, the acting inspector general of police (IGP), Ibrahim Idris, told newsmen in Abuja on Sunday July 17, that the former IGP alone allegedly took 24 vehicles, while other retired deputy inspector-generals of police (DIG) also went away with quite many.
Idris said as a former IGP, Arase was only entitled to four vehicles, adding that the former IGP and other retired officers have been told to return the vehicles they took.
He said: “A week before I was announced, when you look through my office window, you could see so many cars. But the cars all disappeared when I came in.
‘’What I did was to assign a directive to the Special Investigative Unit, SFU, for them to investigate all vehicles’ purchases and donations to the police in the last three years.
“When I took over, there were no vehicles. I discovered that the last IG went away with 24 vehicles, including two BMWs.
‘’The DIGs took seven, others eight. And they left me with an old vehicle. Even the one I follow the President with the last time I went for an engagement, the President asked what I was doing with that kind of vehicle.
‘’The headlight has changed colour, which means it was parked for long under the rain. But the new ones that were bought, including an Armoured BMW 7 series, he took them away. So, I wrote to him and reminded him of the need to return the vehicles.
‘’When a policeman retires as IG, DIG, AIG or CP he is entitled to some vehicles. And so, he should take his entitlement and return the extra. I believe four vehicles are enough for an average person. What does one need 24 vehicles for?”
The IGP said the force also plans to investigate the irregularities in promotion, assuring policemen that due diligence would be done.
Recalling that he spent five years as commissioner of police, while some of his juniors were promoted above him, he said he could feel the pains of those who felt marginalised by the promotion.
Though, Arase could not be reached for comment, a source close to the former police boss has denied allegations that Arase went away with 24 vehicles.
The source described Arase as the embodiment of a professional officer who will not stoop so low to confiscate operational equipment which he fought for the police to have, into personal use.
“In this era of anti-corruption crusade which Arase fought in the Police force in all ramifications, how can the same Arase turn around to soil his integrity built over the years with operational vehicles.”
The source alleged that the accusations against Arase was a plot by mischief to discredit the former IGP for the tough stance he took both administratively and sticking to the rule of law and fairness in the manner he ran the police force during his tenure.
Meanwhile, the military officers indicted in the arms deal scandal may be dismissed from office this week.
This follows a report on The Punch that the officers implicated in the report will be interrogated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) this week.
The accused officers include two former military chiefs, Lieutenant-General Azubuike Ihejirika and Lt.-Gen. Kenneth Minimah.
Source: www-naij-com.0.freebasics.com/894383-anti-corruption-war-solomon-arase-lands-big-trouble.html?source=index_main&iorg_service_id_internal=692981340802115">https://https-www-naij-com.0.freebasics.com/894383-anti-corruption-war-solomon-arase-lands-big-trouble.html?source=index_main&iorg_service_id_internal=692981340802115%3BAfrjsFroZ0JdDISg
Re: Arase Accused Of Confiscating 24 Police Cars by Dottore: 9:50am On Jul 18, 2016
*clears throat *
it's not possible to open fowl's nyash [public office holder/politician] without seeing shiit, whether fresh or dried shiit..
...Igbo proverb 1890
Re: Arase Accused Of Confiscating 24 Police Cars by Mynd44: 10:12am On Jul 18, 2016

(1) (Reply)

Which Kind Change Be This / Man Shot By Police After He Attacked Two Officers With A Machete / Nigerian Navy Arrest Two Suspected Members Of Niger Delta Avengers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.