Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,314 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today (2364 Views)

Trump Speaks Against Racism, Calls KKK, Neo-nazis, White Supremacists ‘repugnant / "KKK" In The White House / Donald Trump America's Next President: Rise Of Racism: Race Wars! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by sukkot: 10:37am On Jul 18, 2016
at the republic convention in cleveland

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/avatars/bxpye50r9b8nv7qv9di2trpqeb3spojb1332928[/img]
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by sukkot: 10:40am On Jul 18, 2016
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by sukkot: 10:41am On Jul 18, 2016
mynd44 do the needful brah. this is important. FP. RACE WARS TODAY IN AMERICA wink
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by LGDON: 11:35am On Jul 18, 2016
Why are they going to the republican convention

What concern Trump with the injustice in America judicial system

Why can't they direct their greviance to that co*ck sucker in White House ...Obama.

The democrats has failed to protect blacks in America. ..is Trump their president?

If they think they re crazy, Trump supporters are crazier

Trump is only trying to clean up the mess Obama administration created.

Anyway I wish them good luck at the convention.
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Appleyard(m): 12:29pm On Jul 18, 2016
Now this was what I have long said and feared. The passive attitude of the US government towards police brutality is what has given rise to the recent "eye for an eye" war like behaviour. However, I still believe it won't get to that level of a wide range racial war, because most whites are aware of the situation, and a good number of them have also fallen victim to psychopathic law enforcement agents at various levels. Therefore, the main crux would be the people against the state. But the real danger is the press. Instead of propagating the root cause of this whole brouhaha, I will not be surprised if they come out twisting facts and paint the whole picture to make it look like it is a war strictly between Blacks and Whites.
That's one thing they know how to do.
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Missy89(f): 12:45pm On Jul 18, 2016
Appleyard:
Now this was what I have long said and feared. The passive attitude of the US government towards police brutality is what has given rise to the recent "eye for an eye" war like behaviour. However, I still believe it won't get to that level of a wide range racial war, because most whites are aware of the situation, and a good number of them have also fallen victim to psychopathic law enforcement agents at various levels. Therefore, the main crux would be the people against the state. But the real danger is the press. Instead of propagating the root cause of this whole brouhaha, I will not be surprised if they come out twisting facts and paint the whole picture to make it look like it is a war strictly between Blacks and Whites.

Lol.
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Lucasbalo(m): 1:51pm On Jul 18, 2016
Appleyard:
Appleyard, you are absolutely on point. This is what people like us are crying out about and some people are castigating us for. Anyone with a functioning medulla will know that militants will take advantage of all the police brutality to enhance their personal agenda. When a 12 year old boy was shot by police for playing with a toy gun within 4 seconds of his arrival at the park where the little boy was playing with his cousins. When Micheal Mcdonald was shot 16 times in Chicago while walking away from police and they try to cover it up but the police car camera revealed the truth. When Eric Gardener was screaming i can't breath after being tackled by 7 white officers. There are so many cases like that all over the country. It's a systematic problem in America and needs to be wiped out. Who knows whose turn is next God forbids. It's a tragedy for police officers to be killed and it's a tragedy for innocent civilians to be killed too. Police is not a jury, judge and executioner. This is a big stain on America and hopefully things will get better.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Appleyard(m): 3:47pm On Jul 18, 2016
Lucasbalo:
Appleyard, you are absolutely on point. This is what people like us are crying out about and some people are castigating us for. Anyone with a functioning medulla will know that militants will take advantage of all the police brutality to enhance their personal agenda. When a 12 year old boy was shot by police for playing with a toy gun within 4 seconds of his arrival at the park where the little boy was playing with his cousins. When Micheal Mcdonald was shot 16 times in Chicago while walking away from police and they try to cover it up but the police car camera revealed the truth. When Eric Gardener was screaming i can't breath after being tackled by 7 white officers. There are so many cases like that all over the country. It's a systematic problem in America and needs to be wiped out. Who knows whose turn is next God forbids. It's a tragedy for police officers to be killed and it's a tragedy for innocent civilians to be killed too. Police is not a jury, judge and executioner. This is a big stain on America and hopefully things will get better.

Once again, you are correct. Criminal gangs like you rightly said, are now taking advantage of the situation. But like we have said many a time, there is no winner in this whole mess, because it is the innocent-whether on the Police or civilian side-that get killed at the end of the day. Its always a lose-lose all the time.

On the other hand, it is only those who are wired to die with their eyes wide open, that will continue to denounce such a glaring threat and stain on America, until they will come face to face with this monster someday; only that there might be no time to regret.

1 Like

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Lucasbalo(m): 4:13pm On Jul 18, 2016
Appleyard:

Once again, you are correct. Criminal gangs like you rightly said, are now taking advantage of the situation. But like we have said many a time, there is no winner in this whole mess, because it is the innocent-whether on the Police or civilian side-that get killed at the end of the day. Its always a lose-lose all the time.

On the other hand, it is only those who are wired to die with their eyes wide open, that will continue to denounce such a glaring threat and stain on America, until they will come face to face with this monster someday; only that there might be no time to regret.
You nailed it. Why would anyone with an ounce of brain deny all the racial profiling of Black men. A Republican Conservative Senator and a clean cut very articulate guy Tim Scott admitted that he was stopped by police officers in DC 7 times in one year for no apparent reasons and some non entity on nairaland is telling me that I am jumping to conclusion about police harassment of blacks. It beats imagination which kind of upbringing will make someone that self hating.

2 Likes

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Missy89(f): 5:33pm On Jul 18, 2016
Appleyard:

Lol

When will you stop pandering? Come on man
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by vedaxcool(m): 7:53pm On Jul 18, 2016
I hope the black folks be smart enough to avoid this needless gun battles... they will get massacred and years down the line some fool who wasn't born when it all happened will say sorry will purge the US of mostly black folks. There is something just weird about this whole killing black business that even extremist like the black panthers should be bothered, in most of the case the police needlessly used extreme force when they had little need for it, clearly there is an unseen hand planning something very drastic that should make all take calm calculated decisions not hot headed action or seeking gun battles.
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Appleyard(m): 9:10pm On Jul 18, 2016
Lucasbalo:
You nailed it. Why would anyone with an ounce of brain deny all the racial profiling of Black men. A Republican Conservative Senator and a clean cut very articulate guy Tim Scott admitted that he was stopped by police officers in DC 7 times in one year for no apparent reasons and some non entity on nairaland is telling me that I am jumping to conclusion about police harassment of blacks. It beats imagination which kind of upbringing will make someone that self hating.

My brother, believe me when I say there are people who are so delusional to the extent that they can even deny their own reflection from a standing mirror. Anyone who denies that racial profiling has not been part of US criminal justice system, is a complete deluded fellow, one beyond redemption. When I was in the school studying law, I came across a lot of American textbooks on criminology, and almost all of the criminologists made mention of this glaring fact. And guess what: majority of the criminologists are of white origin.

It is futile trying to nail a pin into a brick wall. We can only pray that the chicken don't come home to roost across their destiny one of these days, for they just might not have the chance to reminisce on this fact again.

Meanwhile, the officer who was accused for the death of Freddy Grey, have just been cleared of ANY wrong doing. It means that Freddy Grey inflicted the multiple wounds and brutality upon himself.

Heaven is watching.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Lucasbalo(m): 9:31pm On Jul 18, 2016
Appleyard:

My brother, believe me when I say there are people who are so delusional to the extent that they can even deny their own reflection from a standing mirror. Anyone who denies that racial profiling has not been part of US criminal justice system, is a complete deluded fellow, one beyond redemption. When I was in the school studying law, I came across a lot of American textbooks on criminology, and almost all of the criminologists made mention of this glaring fact. And guess what: majority of the criminologists are of white origin.

It is futile trying to nail a pin into a brick wall. We can only pray that the chicken don't come home to roost across their destiny one of these days, for they just might not have the chance to reminisce on this fact again.

Meanwhile, the officer who was accused for the death of Freddy Grey, have just been cleared of ANY wrong doing. It means that Freddy Grey inflicted the multiple wounds and brutality upon himself.

Heaven is watching.
During slavery time there were two types of Negroes. The Field Negroes and the House Negroes. The House Negroes eats crumps that falls off the tables of their masters and because of that they are always snitching on the Field Negroes. The same still apply today. Self hating is an incurable disease. The difference now is that the House Negroes now are not getting good crumps from the masters. Every Race and Tribe have their Judases. The successful Blacks that are Billionaires and Millionaires were from inner cities and they align with the Progressives. Racism is well and alive in US and only irrational thinking people will deny that. I have Republican friends in my office that acknowledged that pure bigotry is the cause of all this police harassment. Google Bigots in Law Enforcement and find out how White Nationalists are jumping into law enforcement just to Harass minorities.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Lucasbalo(m): 9:32pm On Jul 18, 2016
Appleyard:

Heaven is watching.
During slavery time there were two types of Negroes. The Field Negroes and the House Negroes. The House Negroes eats crumps that falls off the tables of their masters and because of that they are always snitching on the Field Negroes. The same still apply today. Self hating is an incurable disease. The difference now is that the House Negroes now are not getting good crimps from the masters. Every Race and Tribe have their Judases. The successful Blacks that are Billionaires and Millionaires were from inner cities and they align with the Progressives. Racism is well and alive in US and only irrational thinking people will deny that. I have Republican friends in my office that acknowledged that pure bigotry is the cause of all this police harassment. Google Bigots in Law Enforcement and find out how White Nationalists are jumping into law enforcement just to harass minorities.

1 Like

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Missy89(f): 9:40pm On Jul 18, 2016
Appleyard:

Heaven is watching.

Can you name those text books? I would love to read them. Thank you.
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Appleyard(m): 9:52pm On Jul 18, 2016
vedaxcool:
I hope the black folks be smart enough to avoid this needless gun battles... they will get massacred and years down the line some fool who wasn't born when it all happened will say sorry will purge the US of mostly black folks. There is something just weird about this whole killing black business that even extremist like the black panthers should be bothered, in most of the case the police needlessly used extreme force when they had little need for it, clearly there is an unseen hand planning something very drastic that should make all take calm calculated decisions not hot headed action or seeking gun battles.

There we go. Just be ready to defend the bolded because, some deluded minds that seem to come from another planet, will soon come here and tag you a "conspiracy theorist", because to them, nothing is ever real. Even for the likes of blind Steven Wonders, its not that hard to see that the way some of the shootings were carried out, were intended to provoke a response. If not, how do you explain shooting somebody 12 times while he was walking away posing no threat at all? Like you said, the black brothers must be extremely careful: they might just be foolishly walking into a dangerous trap.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by vedaxcool(m): 10:07pm On Jul 18, 2016
Appleyard:

There we go. Just be ready to defend the bolded because, some deluded minds that seem to come from another planet, will soon come here and tag you a "conspiracy theorist", because to them, nothing is ever real. Even for the likes of blind Steven Wonders, its not that hard to see that the way some of the shootings were carried out, were intended to provoke a response. If not, how do you explain shooting somebody 12 times while he was walking away posing no threat at all? Like you said, the black brothers must be extremely careful: they might just be foolishly walking into a dangerous trap.

Just because it is a conspiracy theory doesn't make it false...

https://www.nairaland.com/1407763/5-conspiracy-theories-which-turned

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Appleyard(m): 10:13pm On Jul 18, 2016
vedaxcool:
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Appleyard(m): 10:32pm On Jul 18, 2016
Missy89:

Can you name those text books? I would love to read them. Thank you.
Have you heard of NOUN? visits their e-library, you would have a field day..... Thank you.
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Missy89(f): 10:41pm On Jul 18, 2016
Appleyard:
Have you heard of NOUN? visits their e-library, you would have a field day..... Thank you.

You said you read some books that specifically told you that there is institutional racism written by American criminologists.

I just want the names of those books so i can read them so give me the names

Thank you
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Appleyard(m): 10:44pm On Jul 18, 2016
Lucasbalo:
During slavery time there were two types of Negroes. The Field Negroes and the House Negroes. The House Negroes eats crumps that falls off the tables of their masters and because of that they are always snitching on the Field Negroes. The same still apply today. Self hating is an incurable disease. The difference now is that the House Negroes now are not getting good crimps from the masters. Every Race and Tribe have their Judases. The successful Blacks that are Billionaires and Millionaires were from inner cities and they align with the Progressives. Racism is well and alive in US and only irrational thinking people will deny that. I have Republican friends in my office that acknowledged that pure bigotry is the cause of all this police harassment. Google Bigots in Law Enforcement and find out how White Nationalists are jumping into law enforcement just to harass minorities.

Interesting piece, man.

1 Like

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Missy89(f): 10:54pm On Jul 18, 2016
Appleyard, why did you leave the thread without giving me the names of those books?

I think i would love to read them.

Thank you
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Appleyard(m): 11:19pm On Jul 18, 2016
Missy89:

You said you read some books that specifically told you that there is institutional racism written by American criminologists.

I just want the names of those books so i can read them so give me the names

Thank you

And I Gave you a name to play with, as I don't have time for frivolities. But for the love I have for thee, I will leave you with some of this names, which are only a tip of the iceberg, my love.

https://lib.law.washington.edu/content/guides/racecrim

Please darling, don't forget to leave a kiss behind when you are through with them, and make sure you crosscheck NOUN for further exposition. I still love you, you know. cool
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Missy89(f): 12:10am On Jul 19, 2016
Appleyard:

And I Gave you a name to play with, as I don't have time for frivolities. But for the love I have for thee, I will leave you with some of this names, which are only a tip of the iceberg, my love.

https://lib.law.washington.edu/content/guides/racecrim

Please darling, don't forget to leave a kiss behind when you are through with them, and make sure you crosscheck NOUN for further exposition. I still love you, you know. cool

Lol. Trying to mask your ignorance with sweet words eh?

Book 1

Mario L. Barnes & Robert S. Chang, Analyzing Stops, Citations, and Searches in Washington and Beyond, 35 Seattle U. L. Rev. 673 (2012)

Racial disproportionality in the criminal justice system is a fact. But the fact of racial disproportionality is the beginning and not the end of the conversation. The fact that blacks are overrepresented in stop, arrest, charge, pretrial detention, conviction, and incarceration statistics demonstrates only correlation and not causation.A number of commentators caution that disproportionality and the overrepresentation of blacks, Native-Americans, and Hispanics in Washington State’s prisons do not prove racial discrimination. Further, the fact of disproportionality at each stage of criminal justice processing does not prove that racial discrimination occurs at each particular stage. For example, the observed disproportionality at imprisonment might merely be a downstream artifact of disproportionality at conviction, which might in turn be a downstream artifact of pretrial detention, charge, arrest, or stop. Closer analysis of each stage is required in order to determine whether observed disproportionality is a product of legally relevant factors as opposed to suggesting more strongly that race plays an illegitimate role. This Article seeks to examine more closely the disproportionality with regard to traffic stops, citations, and searches. We focus on three reports produced by a team of researchers from Washington State University (WSU) that examine Washington State Patrol traffic stops, citations, and searches.

Book 2

Tal Klement & Elizabeth Siggins, A Window of Opportunity: Addressing the Complexities of the Relationship between Drug Enforcement and Racial Disparity in Seattle, 1 Seattle J. Soc. just. 165 (2002).

Our analysis suggests that there is a relationship between police drug enforcement and racial disparity that is complex and indirect, but not impossible to address. This relationship does not mean that the police are intentionally targeting persons of color. Instead, drug enforcement practices focus on visible street-level markets, which tend disproportionately to involve persons of color, but which are not necessarily reflective of all drug markets in Seattle. There are a number of factors that contribute to this complex relationship:
The Seattle Police Department’s mandate with respect to drug enforcement is unclear. . . .
The response-driven nature of drug enforcement does not necessarily fit the complex realities of drug markets. . . .
Seattle Police Department enforcement efforts target a limited conception of the harm of drug use and markets. . . .
The current focus on “sellers” versus “buyers” is problematic.
There is an important window of opportunity to address these issues. -- pp. 169-70

Book 3

Clayton Mosher et al., The Importance of Context in Understanding Biased Policing: State Patrol Traffic Citations in Washington State, 9 Police Practice and Research 43 (2008).

Abstract: Several studies have provided evidence that racial profiling on the part of law enforcement agencies in the USA is a widespread problem. In contrast to most extant analyses of biased policing, our multivariate analyses of approximately 1.6 million traffic stops by the Washington State Patrol disaggregate the data from the state level to smaller jurisdictions and examine differences in rates of citation for several minority groups. The analyses reveal that, when racial/ethnic differences in the commission of traffic violations are taken into account, the initial effects of race/ethnicity on the probability of receiving a citation are greatly attenuated.

Book 4

J. Mitchell Pickerill, Clayton Mosher & Travis C. Pratt, Search and Seizure, Racial Profiling, and Traffic Stops: A Disparate Impact Framework, 31 Law & Policy 1 (2009).

Abstract: In response to nationwide attention to the issue of racial profiling, numerous law enforcement agencies have reexamined their policies and collected data on the racial demographics of motorists stopped and searched by police. This article advocates a disparate impact framework for understanding the relationship between race and searches and seizures. Using data on the Washington State Patrol, analysis indicates that disparities in the proportions of racial minorities searched by the Patrol are likely not the result of intentional or purposeful discrimination. Additionally, factors such as age, sex, time of day, and the number of violations that motivated the stop affect the likelihood of a search

Book 5

Robert D. Crutchfield, Racial and Ethnic Disparities in the Prosecution of Felony Cases in King County : Final Report (Olympia, Wash.: Washington State Minority and Justice Commission, Office of the Administrator for the Courts,[1995])

Abstract (from National Criminal Justice Reference Service): The study attempted to determine whether and under what circumstances the race and ethnicity of adult persons accused of felony crimes in King County influenced, either directly or indirectly, prosecutorial decisionmaking and the processing of felony criminal cases by the prosecuting attorney. Procedures and standards which the King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office adopted, which are reevaluated and changed regularly, appeared to produce cases handled in a systematic way based on legally relevant factors. Even so, there were some observable differences by race of offenders in case processing outcomes. The study could not draw definite conclusions as to the sources of those differences. Racial and ethnic differences in criminal justice are not necessarily the result of individuals making biased decisions, but may appear because of the adoption of laws and policies that differentially affect segments of the population. Notes, bibliography, tables, appendix

Book 6

Robert D. Crutchfield et al., Racial / Ethnic Disparities and Exceptional Sentences in Washington State : [Final Report] (Olympia, Wash.: Washington State Minority and Justice Commission, Office of the Administrator for the Courts,[1993])

we conclude that exceptional sentences, both above and below the standard range, are used infrequently and that the relationship between race/ethnicity and the imposition of these sentences is very complex. Therefore, even though it appears that race has a modest effect on sentencing outside the standard range, simplistic notions about race and exceptional sentencing should be avoided. -- p. 3

Book 7

Rodney L. Engen et al., The Impact of Race and Ethnicity on Charging and Sentencing Processes for Drug Offenders in Three Counties of Washington State: Final Report (1999).

Two central findings emerge from this study. First, this study demonstrates that charges are routinely changed between initial filing and conviction, suggesting that the decision-making that occurs prior to sentencing often has a greater impact on the punishment that offenders receive than does the exercise of discretion in sentencing. If there are differences in the way these decisions are made for different racial and ethnic groups, such differences could contribute to sentencing disparities that would be masked by “legal” factors (i.e., attributed to differences in offending behavior) at the sentencing stage. The second finding central to this report is that these changes in the severity of charges are, for the most part, not related to race or ethnicity. While we found some small differences in charging decisions, those did not consistently advantage or disadvantage any particular group of offenders. We conclude, therefore, that the data provide no evidence that race and ethnicity are important factors affecting charging decisions for drug offenders.

I can keep going. Did you even check the link you posted? Where did you get your law degree again?

grin
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Horus(m): 12:45am On Jul 19, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqYrbTGo6nM

[size=14pt]Huey P. Newton Gun Club and New Black Panther Party Members march on MLK Blvd[/size]
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Appleyard(m): 1:11pm On Jul 19, 2016
Missy89:

Lol. Trying to mask your ignorance with sweet words eh?

Book 1

Mario L. Barnes & Robert S. Chang, Analyzing Stops, Citations, and Searches in Washington and Beyond, 35 Seattle U. L. Rev. 673 (2012)

Racial disproportionality in the criminal justice system is a fact. [b]But the fact of racial disproportionality is the beginning and not the end of the conversation. The fact that blacks are overrepresented in stop, arrest, charge, pretrial detention, conviction, and incarceration statistics demonstrates only correlation and not causation.A number of commentators caution that disproportionality and the overrepresentation of blacks, Native-Americans, and Hispanics in Washington State’s prisons do not prove racial discrimination.

Small girl..grin Always dancing across an avalanche of admissibility, yet unable to comprehend the truth, as a result of self inflicted mendacious posture. You even failed to note the difference between disproportionality and disparity. But don't you worry, love. I ain't giving up on you yet.

Look below and find out for yourself the underlining summation of these various authors, they all could not deny one thing; and that's Racial Bias . the criminal justice system, even though they couldn't agree in totality. And that was the reason I referenced them at the first place: They simply argued to The Contrary and for The contrary, despite limiting their views to just one single state. So, take a seat girl, and learn from thy husband. cool. Nest time, learn to read in between the lines of a given text.

Further, the fact of disproportionality at each stage of criminal justice processing does not prove that racial discrimination occurs at each particular stage. For example, the observed disproportionality at imprisonment might merely be a downstream artifact of disproportionality at conviction, which might in turn be a downstream artifact of pretrial detention, charge, arrest, or stop. Closer analysis of each stage is required in order to determine whether observed disproportionality is a product of legally relevant factors as opposed to suggesting more strongly that race plays an illegitimate role. This Article seeks to examine more closely the disproportionality with regard to traffic stops, citations, and searches. We focus on three reports produced by a team of researchers from Washington State University (WSU) that examine Washington State Patrol traffic stops, citations, and searches.

They agreed that racial discrimination occurs at some stages, but not on each or all of the stages, even in Washington.

Book 2

Tal Klement & Elizabeth Siggins, A Window of Opportunity: Addressing the Complexities of the Relationship between Drug Enforcement and Racial Disparity in Seattle, 1 Seattle J. Soc. just. 165 (2002).

Our analysis suggests that there is a relationship between police drug enforcement and racial disparity that is complex and indirect, but not impossible to address. This relationship does not mean that the police are intentionally targeting persons of color. Instead, drug enforcement practices focus on visible street-level markets, which tend disproportionately to involve persons of color, but which are not necessarily reflective of all drug markets in Seattle. There are a number of factors that contribute to this complex relationship:
The Seattle Police Department’s mandate with respect to drug enforcement is unclear. . . .
The response-driven nature of drug enforcement does not necessarily fit the complex realities of drug markets. . . .
Seattle Police Department enforcement efforts target a limited conception of the harm of drug use and markets. . . .
The current focus on “sellers” versus “buyers” is problematic.
There is an important window of opportunity to address these issues. -- pp. 169-70

They agreed there is racial disparity in police duties to crimes, despite being of the opinion that the police may not be intentionally targeting minorities, and also conceded that to verify this claim is very COMPLEX at the bolded. And even suggested addressing this issues. They never ruled out racism.

Book 3

Clayton Mosher et al., The Importance of Context in Understanding Biased Policing: State Patrol Traffic Citations in Washington State, 9 Police Practice and Research 43 (2008).

Abstract: Several studies have provided evidence that racial profiling on the part of law enforcement agencies in the USA is a widespread problem. In contrast to most extant analyses of biased policing, our multivariate analyses of approximately 1.6 million traffic stops by the Washington State Patrol disaggregate the data from the state level to smaller jurisdictions and examine differences in rates of citation for several minority groups. The analyses reveal that, when racial/ethnic differences in the commission of traffic violations are taken into account, the initial effects of race/ethnicity on the probability of receiving a citation are greatly attenuated.
Again, they conceded that other studies attested to racial profiling, even though that of Washington seeks otherwise, neither did it outrightly denounced it.

Book 4

J. Mitchell Pickerill, Clayton Mosher & Travis C. Pratt, Search and Seizure, Racial Profiling, and Traffic Stops: A Disparate Impact Framework, 31 Law & Policy 1 (2009).

Abstract: In response to nationwide attention to the issue of racial profiling, numerous law enforcement agencies have reexamined their policies and collected data on the racial demographics of motorists stopped and searched by police. This article advocates a disparate impact framework for understanding the relationship between race and searches and seizures. Using data on the Washington State Patrol, analysis indicates that disparities in the proportions of racial minorities searched by the Patrol are likely not the result of intentional or purposeful discrimination. Additionally, factors such as age, sex, time of day, and the number of violations that motivated the stop affect the likelihood of a search [quote] It admitted that the issue of racial profiling is nationwide, and even at the bolded, the analysis of Washington are held to be "likely", not absolutely without "racial profiling."

[quote]Book 5

Robert D. Crutchfield, Racial and Ethnic Disparities in the Prosecution of Felony Cases in King County : Final Report (Olympia, Wash.: Washington State Minority and Justice Commission, Office of the Administrator for the Courts,[1995])

Abstract (from National Criminal Justice Reference Service): The study attempted to determine whether and under what circumstances the race and ethnicity of adult persons accused of felony crimes in King County influenced, either directly or indirectly, prosecutorial decisionmaking and the processing of felony criminal cases by the prosecuting attorney. Procedures and standards which the King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office adopted, which are reevaluated and changed regularly, appeared to produce cases handled in a systematic way based on legally relevant factors. Even so, there were some observable differences by race of offenders in case processing outcomes. The study could not draw definite conclusions as to the sources of those differences. Racial and ethnic differences in criminal justice are not necessarily the result of individuals making biased decisions, but may appear because of the adoption of laws and policies that differentially affect segments of the population. Notes, bibliography, tables, appendix

They Noted racial differences and could not draw conclusion s as to what caused such differences. And by the use of the term "not necessarily", they admitted that racial profiling might have also been the cause as well.

Book 6

Robert D. Crutchfield et al., Racial / Ethnic Disparities and Exceptional Sentences in Washington State : [Final Report] (Olympia, Wash.: Washington State Minority and Justice Commission, Office of the Administrator for the Courts,[1993]

we conclude that exceptional sentences, both above and below the standard range, are used infrequently and that the relationship between race/ethnicity and the imposition of these sentences is very complex. Therefore, even though it appears that race has a modest effect on sentencing outside the standard range, simplistic notions about race and exceptional sentencing should be avoided. -- p. 3
Again, they admitted the complexity of this fact, but admitted also that racism has an effect in the justice system.

Book 7

Rodney L. Engen et al., The Impact of Race and Ethnicity on Charging and Sentencing Processes for Drug Offenders in Three Counties of Washington State: Final Report (1999).

While we found some small differences in charging decisions,...
So, they. also found evidence of racial profiling and bias in charging and prosecution, even though they couldn't base their final summation on it...? And all this are just only for one state.. Interesting. cheesy

I can go on and on naming many more examples, and the practical facts are there for all to see. Facts don't lie. cool

Racial profiling is alive in the US, and is only a blind man that would denounced it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Lucasbalo(m): 2:35pm On Jul 19, 2016
Appleyard:

Small girl..grin Always dancing across an avalanche of admissibility, yet unable to comprehend the truth, as a result of self inflicted mendacious posture. You even failed to note the difference between disproportionality and disparity. But don't you worry, love. I ain't giving up on you yet.

Look below and find out for yourself the underlining summation of these various authors, they all could not deny one thing; and that's Racial Bias . the criminal justice system, even though they couldn't agree in totality. And that was the reason I referenced them at the first place: They simply argued to The Contrary and for The contrary, despite limiting their views to just one single state. So, take a seat girl, and learn from thy husband. cool. Nest time, learn to read in between the lines of a given text.

They agreed that racial discrimination occurs at some stages, but not on each or all of the stages, even in Washington.

They agreed there is racial disparity in police duties to crimes, despite being of the opinion that the police may not be intentionally targeting minorities, and also conceded that to verify this claim is very COMPLEX at the bolded. And even suggested addressing this issues. They never ruled out racism.

Again, they conceded that other studies attested to racial profiling, even though that of Washington seeks otherwise, neither did it outrightly denounced it.

You are absolutely right again. Only a brainstem will argue about not seeing racial profilling in America. I remember a case of the richest black woman in US by name Oprah Winfrey walks in a high end store on Magnificent Mile in Chicago and a lowly store employee closed the door on spotting her. It became a big scandal here in Chicago and all over the country and the store had to apologize for that. That's a billionaire not some lowly paid self hating white rear kissing foam in the mouth house negro.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Missy89(f): 2:43pm On Jul 19, 2016
Appleyard:

Lmfao

Keep contradicting youself. Surprised you dont know how silly you sound right now

Where did you get your law degree again?
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Missy89(f): 2:51pm On Jul 19, 2016
Lucasbalo:
You are absolutely right again. Only a brainstem will argue about not seeing racial profilling in America. I remember a case of the richest black woman in US by name Oprah Winfrey walks in a high end store on Magnificent Mile in Chicago and a lowly store employee closed the door on spotting her. It became a big scandal here in Chicago and all over the country and the store had to apologize for that. That's a billionaire not some lowly paid self hating white rear kissing foam in the mouth house negro.

Village id1ot i see you are still having trouble comprehending simple things. No one will deny that racism exists. That is a fact

But if you say an institution is racist, you have to point out to the policies of that institution that is inherently racist to a certain group.

How does Oprah's experience in a store directly means any institution is racist?
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Lucasbalo(m): 3:04pm On Jul 19, 2016
Missy89:

Village id1ot i see you are still having trouble comprehending simple things. No one will deny that racism exists. That is a fact

But if you say an institution is racist, you have to point out to the policies of that institution that is inherently racist to a certain group.

How does Oprah's experience in a store directly means that any institution is racist?

I thought I was directing my comments to Appleyard. Why don't you stay off my mentions. If I am a village idiot, what are you ?. Please, don't let us go there. I will ignore the village idiot part and if you continue, I will unleash on you.

2 Likes

Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Missy89(f): 3:08pm On Jul 19, 2016
Lucasbalo:
I thought I was directing my comments to Appleyard. Why don't you stay off my mentions. If I am a village idiot, what are you ?. Please, don't let us go there. I will ignore the village idiot part and if you continue, I will unleash on you.

You responded to the replied he posted to me hence my response. If you dont want me to quote you, stay on your lane.
Re: Race Wars Today ? Maybe ? Kkk Vs Black Panther In Cleveland Today by Appleyard(m): 10:08pm On Jul 19, 2016
Missy89:

Lmfao

Keep contradicting youself. Surprised you dont know how silly you sound right now

Where did you get your law degree again?

grin grin grin
Any time you're caught in the middle, you scream like the little girl that you are. I still find it hard to believe that you are actually arguing this, to begin with. But all the same, I still love you. I haven't even given you half of all the evidence out there yet, and even though I know it's futile trying to get a pin through a brick wall, I will still try out of love for you. cool So, honey, please tell, apart from Tim Scot, which other White Congress man had been stopped needlessly 7 times in DC?

Now read this: from Another White Law Professor.

Bill Quigley Law Professor,
Loyola University New Orleans.

The biggest crime in the U.S. criminal justice
system is that it is a race-based institution
where African-Americans are directly targeted
and punished in a much more aggressive way
than white people.
Saying the US criminal system is racist may be
politically controversial in some circles. But the
facts are overwhelming. No real debate about
that. Below I set out numerous examples of
these facts.
The question is - are these facts the mistakes
of an otherwise good system, or are they
evidence that the racist criminal justice system
is working exactly as intended? Is the US
criminal justice system operated to marginalize
and control millions of African Americans?
Information on race is available for each step of
the criminal justice system - from the use of
drugs, police stops, arrests, getting out on bail,
legal representation, jury selection, trial,
sentencing, prison, parole and freedom. Look
what these facts show.

One. The US has seen a surge in arrests and
putting people in jail over the last four
decades. Most of the reason is the war on
drugs. Yet whites and blacks engage in drug
offenses, possession and sales, at roughly
comparable rates - according to a report on
race and drug enforcement published by Human
Rights Watch in May 2008. While African
Americans comprise 13% of the US population
and 14% of monthly drug users they are 37% of
the people arrested for drug offenses -
according to 2009 Congressional testimony by
Marc Mauer of The Sentencing Project.

Two. The police stop blacks and Latinos at
rates that are much higher than whites. In New
York City, where people of color make up about
half of the population, 80% of the NYPD stops
were of blacks and Latinos. When whites were
stopped, only 8% were frisked. When blacks
and Latinos are stopped 85% were frisked
according to information provided by the
NYPD. The same is true most other places as
well. In a California study, the ACLU found
blacks are three times more likely to be stopped
than whites.

Three. Since 1970, drug arrests have
skyrocketed rising from 320,000 to close to 1.6
million according to the Bureau of Justice
Statistics of the U.S. Department of Justice.
African Americans are arrested for drug
offenses at rates 2 to 11 times higher than the
rate for whites - according to a May 2009
report on disparity in drug arrests by Human
Rights Watch.

Four. Once arrested, blacks are more likely to
remain in prison awaiting trial than whites. For
example, the New York state division of
criminal justice did a 1995 review of disparities
in processing felony arrests and found that in
some parts of New York blacks are 33% more
likely to be detained awaiting felony trials than
whites facing felony trials.

Five. Once arrested, 80% of the people in the
criminal justice system get a public defender for
their lawyer. Race plays a big role here as
well. Stop in any urban courtroom and look at
the color of the people who are waiting for
public defenders. Despite often heroic efforts
by public defenders the system gives them
much more work and much less money than the
prosecution. The American Bar Association,
not a radical bunch, reviewed the US public
defender system in 2004 and concluded “All too
often, defendants plead guilty, even if they are
innocent, without really understanding their
legal rights or what is occurring...The
fundamental right to a lawyer that America
assumes applies to everyone accused of
criminal conduct effectively does not exist in
practice for countless people across the US.”

Six. African Americans are frequently illegally
excluded from criminal jury service according to
a June 2010 study released by the Equal
Justice Initiative. For example in Houston
County, Alabama, 8 out of 10 African
Americans qualified for jury service have been
struck by prosecutors from serving on death
penalty cases.

Seven. Trials are rare. Only 3 to 5 percent of
criminal cases go to trial - the rest are plea
bargained. Most African Americans defendants
never get a trial. Most plea bargains consist of
promise of a longer sentence if a person
exercises their constitutional right to trial. As a
result, people caught up in the system, as the
American Bar Association points out, plead
guilty even when innocent. Why? As one
young man told me recently, “Who wouldn’t
rather do three years for a crime they didn’t
commit than risk twenty-five years for a crime
they didn’t do?”

Eight. The U.S. Sentencing Commission
reported in March 2010 that in the federal
system, black offenders receive sentences that
are 10% longer than white offenders for the
same crimes. Marc Mauer of the Sentencing
Project reports African Americans are 21% more
likely to receive mandatory minimum sentences
than white defendants and 20% more likely to be
sentenced to prison than white drug
defendants.

Nine. The longer the sentence, the more likely
it is that non-white people will be the ones
getting it. A July 2009 report by the
Sentencing Project found that two-thirds of the
people in the US with life sentences are non-
white. In New York, it is 83%.

Ten. As a result, African Americans, who are
13% of the population and 14% of drug users,
are not only 37% of the people arrested for
drugs but 56% of the people in state prisons for
drug offenses. Marc Mauer May 2009
Congressional Testimony for The Sentencing
Project.

Eleven. The US Bureau of Justice Statistics
concludes that the chance of a black male born
in 2001 of going to jail is 32% or 1 in three.
Latino males have a 17% chance and white
males have a 6% chance. Thus black boys are
five times and Latino boys nearly three times as
likely as white boys to go to jail.

Twelve. So, while African American juvenile
youth is but 16% of the population, they are
28% of juvenile arrests, 37% of the youth in
juvenile jails and 58% of the youth sent to adult
prisons. 2009 Criminal Justice Primer, The
Sentencing Project.

Thirteen. Remember that the US leads the
world in putting our own people into jail and
prison. The New York Times reported in 2008
that the US has five percent of the world’s
population but a quarter of the world’s
prisoners, over 2.3 million people behind bars,
dwarfing other nations. The US rate of
incarceration is five to eight times higher than
other highly developed countries and black
males are the largest percentage of inmates
according to ABC News and other studies.

Fourteen. Even when released from prison,
race continues to dominate. A study by
Professor Devah Pager of the University of
Wisconsin found that 17% of white job
applicants with criminal records received call
backs from employers while only 5% of black
job applicants with criminal records received
call backs. Race is so prominent in that study
that whites with criminal records actually
received better treatment than blacks without
criminal records!

So, what conclusions do these facts lead to?
The criminal justice system, from start to finish,
is seriously racist.

Professor Michelle Alexander concludes that it
is no coincidence that the criminal justice
system ramped up its processing of African
Americans just as the Jim Crow laws enforced
since the age of slavery ended. Her book, The
New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age
of Color blindness sees these facts as evidence
of the new way the US has decided to control
African Americans - a racialized system of
social control. The stigma of criminality
functions in much the same way as Jim Crow -
creating legal boundaries between them and
us, allowing legal discrimination against them,
removing the right to vote from millions, and
essentially warehousing a disposable
population of unwanted people. She calls it a
new caste system.

Poor whites and people of other ethnicity are
also subjected to this system of social control.
Because if poor whites or others get out of line,
they will be given the worst possible treatment,
they will be treated just like poor blacks.

At this stage, I will be expecting more screaming from my white never-do wrong wife, O Lucasbalo.cheesy I hope you ain't bleaching already, Dear Missy. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Checkout The Biography Of Ghana's President-elect, Nana Akufo-addo / Raoul Moat: Britain's Most Wanted Villain / World's Dopest Babalawo (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.