Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,691 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes (48828 Views)

Incredible Photos Of Nuclear Explosions / Big Python Almost Killed A Lady Cooking In Her Kitchen In Edo (Photos) / Effects Of Water Leaks In Nigerian Homes And Possible Ways To Curb Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by Amarabae(f): 2:46pm On Oct 10, 2019
none of us will be victims of gas accident

10 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by Mutemenot(m): 2:49pm On Oct 10, 2019
shegzhkn:
please I gat question on this , in an event of fire explosion from the gas cylinder and no extinguisher is available , I suppose the use of water is not bad , right ?

Using wet clothe to cover the gas frames (when the fire hasn't gone much is a good idea)

2 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 10, 2019
abkrgumel:
In my family house we don't put gas cylinder in the kitchen we keep it in backyard

Best safety precaution

5 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by Duggedised12(f): 2:56pm On Oct 10, 2019
shegzhkn:
please I gat question on this , in an event of fire explosion from the gas cylinder and no extinguisher is available , I suppose the use of water is not bad , right ?
not just water ,water mixed with detergent

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by babtoundey(m): 2:59pm On Oct 10, 2019
Thank you for this life rescuing information and education.

However, Can Science just helep us invent a reliable means of cooking without fire. Wouldn't it be fantastic if we can cook with water or just air?

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by Morenikeji070: 3:00pm On Oct 10, 2019
Good
Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by sanusi44z(m): 3:04pm On Oct 10, 2019
OgbanjeProphet:
my own be say, don't cook whenever you feel sleepy and you are alone.
It was during Ramadan, i woke up to boil egg, put the egg on the cooker, fell asleep while waiting for it to boil. The smoke in the room woke me up, water and egg dried up, smoke everywhere. It was God that saved me that day.

2 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by thundafire: 3:06pm On Oct 10, 2019
Is dat Seun babe blowing fire into dey pot,Bobo update ur site oh dey curse u or u think say na 1886 we dey
Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by SoNature(m): 3:10pm On Oct 10, 2019
shegzhkn:

Fires from cylinders are classified as Class C Fires. Where you don't have extinguishers, you can extinguish the fire in two ways:

1. The most effective method is to identify the source of the gas and terminate it at once.

2. You can use a fire blanket, some people use the good old blanket. However, fire blankets are made of materials that are resistant to all the classes of fire.

Please don't use water as it will worsen the condition.

3 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by alezzy13: 3:10pm On Oct 10, 2019
Never knee there was a difference between the red and blue cylinders

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by Nobody: 3:15pm On Oct 10, 2019
Rather than tubing, use copper pipe
Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by cenaman(m): 3:17pm On Oct 10, 2019
Post that is almost 4years na now una dey bring am for FP.

2 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by dalass(f): 3:20pm On Oct 10, 2019
Wow, front page after 3 years? grin

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by SenecaTheYonger: 3:27pm On Oct 10, 2019
divinehand2003:
Safety

Back to Bode. After several rounds of questioning and introspection, it was clear that his misfortune had come as a result of some faulty tubing connecting the cylinder to the cooker. If as little as 2% of LPG leaks out, it will form a flammable mixture with air. Within a confined space with no adequate ventilation, this can very easily cause an explosion.

Hoses and tubing on gas cylinders are one of the weakest points in the system, and it is important to pay attention to keeping these as safe for use as possible. One would be surprised at how easy it is to ensure safety, and how simplistic the safety instructions are, compared to the damage caused annually. The experts at Calor suggest:

*Keeping the tubing away from bright sunlight, dampness, abrasion and heavy weights.
*Replaces hoses every 5 years, as they are manufactured with a lifespan of 5 years
*Store the cylinders in a place where you have good ventilation. This is because LPG is heavier than air, and gravity ensures that it will flow along floors and and settle in pockets in the ground (if any). As a result, a leak and an ignition source are the only requirements for an explosion to occur. In addition to this, an unchecked leak will cause air to be displaced, increasing the chances of suffocation.
I appreciate your curiosity and the way you dove into the topic deeply. These are the kind of people Nigeria needs. Thanks for writing down your observations.
Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by dermmy(m): 3:32pm On Oct 10, 2019
babtoundey:

However, Can Science just helep us invent a reliable means of cooking without fire. Wouldn't it be fantastic if we can cook with water or just air?

Na here you still dey. People wey dey Mars don dey use water cook since 1960 when naija get independence.

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by zedman1(m): 3:35pm On Oct 10, 2019
deepwater:
Only post
Only comment

Some people ehn even if their name na grace them no go gree share undecided
If to say him no break am, walahi you for no read am all my sister. Very few persons have the patience to read long posts. I'm sure that was his reason.
Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by Kaybaba5(m): 3:52pm On Oct 10, 2019
God saved us
Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by shegzhkn: 3:56pm On Oct 10, 2019
SoNature:

Fires from cylinders are classified as Class C Fires. Where you don't have extinguishers, you can extinguish the fire in two ways:

1. The most effective method is to identify the source of the gas and terminate it at once.

2. You can use a fire blanket, some people use the good old blanket. However, fire blankets are made of materials that are resistant to all the classes of fire.

Please don't use water as it will worsen the condition.

Thanks boss.
Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by frozen70g(f): 3:57pm On Oct 10, 2019
shegzhkn:

Just use sand or blanket to quench the fire
Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by Legendguru: 4:00pm On Oct 10, 2019
smiley
Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by babtoundey(m): 4:06pm On Oct 10, 2019
dermmy:

Na here you still dey. People wey dey Mars don dey use water cook since 1960 when naija get independence.

Make that dividend of technological advancement locate us on time o. Man cannot be thinking of road, hospital, education and many hazards and still be thinking of gas explosion (on top food wey no even dey satisfactory)
Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by damilarea2(m): 4:08pm On Oct 10, 2019
shegzhkn:

You can use Pepsi, Coke or any drink that has enough gas inside. Open the cover, use your thumb to block it , shake it very well and face it towards the direction of the fire. It work well.

You can check YouTube for more video how to do it.
Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by femi4: 4:23pm On Oct 10, 2019
shegzhkn:
you cant use water on fire caused by oil and gas. You need co2 extinguisher or damped towel
Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by femi4: 4:28pm On Oct 10, 2019
babtoundey:

You need a source of heat to cook. Water and air doesn't belong to that category
Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by openmine(m): 4:36pm On Oct 10, 2019
very interesting topic!
Thanks for sharing this important information!

Re: How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes by mechanics(m): 4:41pm On Oct 10, 2019
So it means some gas explosion might have come from the gas cooker itself due to leakage somewhere.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See The Big Scorpion I Killed In My Office This Morning. ( Pics) / A Completely Unclad Man On Top Of A Powerline In Lagos- Photos. / Brain Teaser!!! Dead Wife...(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.