Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,164 members, 7,818,536 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

We Should Decentralised Power.ibb - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Should Decentralised Power.ibb (547 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu: 419 Okorocha Belongs To IBB Gay Cult; Killed White Man, Dad Hausa / Saraki, Politicians Queue To Shake Goodluck Jonathan At IBB's Daughter's Wedding / New Photo Of Ibrahim Babangida (IBB) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

We Should Decentralised Power.ibb by xprezboy: 8:51am On Jul 19, 2016
Former military president, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (IBB), has decried much concentration of power at the centre urging that power should be decentralized to the federated units. Speaking in Abuja at the Leadership Independence Conference organized by the Leadership Newspaper on Nigeria at 50, Babangida said, there was the need to devolve more powers to the states and the local governments.

“The Federal Government is holding a lot of responsibilities and you can go down and make sure that you elect a president who would have time to go and play golf, tennis or watch soccer because the federating units are very strong. They can survive on their own. So, all you need is to provide leadership at the highest level and the federal government may be only talking about defence, foreign policy, economy et cetera. I see that happening in the next 50 years.”

Continuing, Babangida said, we knew the problem of the country and we should lay a proper foundation for a new Nigeria. “I think the question we should ask ourselves should be: How do we feel? A lot of us will not be 50 yet but then, the foundation stone must be laid down as from October 1, 2010.
“And from everything we have said, I found out that we can now go back and say we want to build a truly Federal Nigeria in concept and in practice. The operative units should be allowed to grow at their own pace; at their own time and allow them to control their own resources within their own states. In other words, through the federal and regional. I think the time to start building is now,” Babangida stated.
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential aspirant further said we should start laying foundation for a private-driven economy. “I also believe that we should lay now, the foundation for a private-sector-driven economy not the commanding height of the economy being dominated by government.
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/sept/30/national-30-09-2010-015.htm
Re: We Should Decentralised Power.ibb by pode(m): 9:18am On Jul 19, 2016
It is easy for you to pass this information to your brother in power than the common man on the street
Re: We Should Decentralised Power.ibb by buhahaha: 9:21am On Jul 19, 2016
I agree with you hundred times..this is the solution, allow everyone to concentrate on their own side and survive on their own... but will they agree? They enjoy the monopoly of power, monopoly of military, Allocations and all that. Nigeria is too big for this present system .

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Missing Police Vehicles Found, Details Of Their Whereabouts Uncovered / Dambazzau Protected By Mafians/cabals In Buhari's Govt-junaid Mohd / Quote By GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.