Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

No First Class For Me, Thanks! – Michael Roman - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No First Class For Me, Thanks! – Michael Roman (847 Views)

Dorcas Oche Graduates With First Class In Pharmacy From Rajiv Gandhi University / Raji Khalid Olatunji, 19-Year-Old UNILORIN First Class Graduand Of Sociology / 188 Students Bag First Class Honours At Covenant University's 12th Convocation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No First Class For Me, Thanks! – Michael Roman by EduRegard: 3:26am On Jul 20, 2016

Quiz time : Who was the best graduating student in your school last year? What about the year before? No body knows. No body cares. It seems like the glory that comes with graduating with a first class don't out last the convocation day. I still have a picture on my phone of a best graduating student of a state university being rewarded with a mug by the governor of the very state. A mug!!!

If a first class is really worth it, trust me Ayo Dada will be a household name. Alas, he is not. The young man created a buzz when he graduated from the university of lagos with a 5.0 CGPA. He got pats on the back from one or two brands and the Lagos state house of representatives and that was it. He surfaced later claiming all those that promised financial assistance did not live up to their promise. Why should they?

See, a first class degree do not reflect intellectual prowess. Its all a game of memory. Who can remember what in the exam hall. It doesn't reflect intelligence or creativity. Little wonderful 95% of the top people in the across various walks of life are not first class graduates.
Every student I know is primarily obsessed with GPA. I don't subscribe to that! Every student should be concerned with creating stuff. We should have students in mechanical engineering building kerosene powered cars. Dramatic arts students should be shooting scenes in Kenya. Pharmacy students should brainstorm cures for cancer.

Rather, we all want to read what our lecturers spoon feed us and vomit it back on our exam answer scripts. And the result? My friends will say la cram la pour. We end up cramming but not understanding. They use all sort of codes and formulas, all in a bid to score over 70 in the course but their intelligence quotient is something like 17.

This should stop! Like someone said, most students chase first class degree so as to secure a job in companies started by third class graduates and dropouts. I don't need a first class degree. A first class personality will do.

No First Class For Me, Thanks.

SOURCE : http://eduregard.com/no-first-class-thanks-michael-roman/

cc lalasticlala seun mynd44

1 Like

Re: No First Class For Me, Thanks! – Michael Roman by fuckpro: 4:09am On Jul 20, 2016
EduRegard:

Quiz time : Who was the best graduating student in your school last year? What about the year before? No body knows. No body cares. It seems like the glory that comes with graduating with a first class don't out last the convocation day. I still have a picture on my phone of a best graduating student of a state university being rewarded with a mug by the governor of the very state. A mug!!!

If a first class is really worth it, trust me Ayo Dada will be a household name. Alas, he is not. The young man created a buzz when he graduated from the university of lagos with a 5.0 CGPA. He got pats on the back from one or two brands and the Lagos state house of representatives and that was it. He surfaced later claiming all those that promised financial assistance did not live up to their promise. Why should they?

See, a first class degree do not reflect intellectual prowess. Its all a game of memory. Who can remember what in the exam hall. It doesn't reflect intelligence or creativity. Little wonderful 95% of the top people in the across various walks of life are not first class graduates.
Every student I know is primarily obsessed with GPA. I don't subscribe to that! Every student should be concerned with creating stuff. We should have students in mechanical engineering building kerosene powered cars. Dramatic arts students should be shooting scenes in Kenya. Pharmacy students should brainstorm cures for cancer.

Rather, we all want to read what our lecturers spoon feed us and vomit it back on our exam answer scripts. And the result? My friends will say la cram la pour. We end up cramming but not understanding. They use all sort of codes and formulas, all in a bid to score over 70 in the course but their intelligence quotient is something like 17.

This should stop! Like someone said, most students chase first class degree so as to secure a job in companies started by third class graduates and dropouts. I don't need a first class degree. A first class personality will do.

No First Class For Me, Thanks.

SOURCE : http://eduregard.com/no-first-class-thanks-michael-roman/
Re: No First Class For Me, Thanks! – Michael Roman by maxti: 5:06am On Jul 20, 2016
Seen.
Re: No First Class For Me, Thanks! – Michael Roman by adioolayi(m): 5:48am On Jul 20, 2016
Agony of a defeated Soul.....Yes, you maybe better in other aspect of life...but for that particular task of going to school, being at a dept., going through same rigours of academics with your colleagues and someone or some people had firstclass while you are struggling for thirdclass or Pass...YOUR ARE SIMPLY A FAILURE!

Why should you opt for less when the best is firstclass what you will do with it or become in life is another thing entirely...this kind of mentality is for the failed. ....and deep down the op would have struggled for excellence but failed!

2 Likes

Re: No First Class For Me, Thanks! – Michael Roman by deltateam: 6:20am On Jul 20, 2016
adioolayi:
Agony of a defeated Soul.....Yes, you maybe better in other aspect of life...but for that particular task of going to school, being at a dept., going through same rigours of academics with your colleagues and someone or some people had firstclass while you are struggling for thirdclass or Pass...YOUR ARE SIMPLY A FAILURE!

Why should you opt for less when the best is firstclass what you will do with it or become in life is another thing entirely...this kind of mentality is for the failed. ....and deep down the op would have struggled for excellence but failed!

Don't mind op. Op is embittered with life and probably frustrated. He needs prayers and counselling cos he's losing it.

Having a first class is more than La cram LA pour according to op's parlance. If first class was easy, why is everybody not getting it?

First class is for the diligent, the patient, studious and bright students. God is also involved cos all wisdom belongs to Him.
Re: No First Class For Me, Thanks! – Michael Roman by Slimberry1(f): 8:54am On Jul 20, 2016
Having a first class does not stop you from been the best in other aspects of life,in fact it should be an added advantage for you in other things you are engaged in, its outrightly not an excuse I would take from an "unsuccessful" first class graduate undecided I love first class graduates, I envy them but I detest first class graduates who lack critical thinking, problem solving intelligence.
Re: No First Class For Me, Thanks! – Michael Roman by Esso95(m): 9:11am On Jul 20, 2016
OP, please can you divulge those blue chip coys established by Nigerian third class graduates and drop-outs?
Hey, don't even mention the cliche-Mark and Bill. They've an intrinsic story which your kind have shut the minds of their eyes to see.
Just duvulge here the top blue chip coys established by Nigerian third class graduates and drop-outs which first class graduates are jostling for.
Re: No First Class For Me, Thanks! – Michael Roman by sammyscholar(m): 9:28am On Jul 20, 2016
Slimberry1:
Having a first class does not stop you from been the best in other aspects of life,in fact it should be an added advantage for you in other things you are engaged in, its outrightly not an excuse I would take from an "unsuccessful" first class graduate undecided I love first class graduates, I envy them but I detest first class graduates who lack critical thinking, problem solving intelligence.
you spoke my mind.

1 Like

Re: No First Class For Me, Thanks! – Michael Roman by EduRegard: 12:54pm On Jul 20, 2016
cc mynd44 lalasticlala seun

(1) (Reply)

2016 Admission Status Checker / . / Why Yoruba Is Great

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.