Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,219 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know (42863 Views)

Village Generates Electricity From Cow Faeces / Nigerian Man Generates Electricity From Potatoes(photos+video) / Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by honourableAy: 10:05am On Jul 21, 2016
We can generate a lot from uranium n with our resources,we can have up to 4000mwt from it,the only issue is that it is dangerous.
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Khoded(m): 10:20am On Jul 21, 2016
Are u fucking kidding me? nuclear? Nigeria is not even close to ready for this, so many security issues going on already, we should protest against this if they re serious about it, we have boko haram already ISIS... i don't even think any institution/school has uranium in their store, even advanced countries are very sensitive bout it + in the history of this country what have we ever managed well, we don't even have tap water..#FG-u-made-me-really-sad, #Fg-bole-n-be.
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by ogtavia(m): 10:22am On Jul 21, 2016
isn't any idiot goin to think of biogas..why do they think of things that will be harmful to the common man...the waste generated in lagos is enough to power 60% of Lagos...it will even help us clean up our country.....kai...what has Nigeria done to deserve clueless buffoons as leaders since 1960....

3 Likes

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by lurdkriss: 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2016
Ok undecided
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by MadCow1: 2:19pm On Jul 21, 2016
mrphysics:
Today, we read https://www.nairaland.com/3236793/fg-set-generate-electricity-uranium about the move by the federal government to generate electricity from the element Uranium, i read how many people opposed it while some agreed to it, let us briefly highlight some things about the heavy element Uranium.

a., Uranium is a very heavy metal which can be used as an abundant source of concentrated energy .Uranium occurs in most rocks in concentrations of 2 to 4 parts per million and is as common in the Earth's crust as tin, tungsten and molybdenum. Uranium occurs in seawater, and can be recovered from the oceans.

b.
Uranium was discovered in 1789 by Martin Klaproth, a German chemist, in the mineral called pitchblende. It was named after the planet Uranus, which had been discovered eight years earlier.
Uranium was apparently formed in supernovas about 6.6 billion years ago. While it is not common in the solar system, today its slow radioactive decay provides the main source of heat inside the Earth, causing convection and continental drift.

c.

The high density of uranium means that it also finds uses in the keels of yachts and as counterweights for aircraft control surfaces, as well as for radiation shielding.
Uranium has a melting point of 1132°C. The chemical symbol for uranium is U.

Let's keep going

Dedicated to my grandmother who left me to the world beyond today 20/7/2016 @ exactly 10:00 a.m. she was 72yrs, Till her death Oshiahu Rose Ngwuta was a peaceful woman. We will miss you.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/nuclear-fuel-cycle/introduction/what-is-uranium-how-does-it-work.aspx

OP.. God bless your Grams and grant her peace in the afterlife.
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by olucomf: 7:52pm On Jul 21, 2016
MicroBox:
@OP Good research..
-Nuclear plant needs water to cool off so those in the riverine areas should start thinking....
-Their would be a radioactive leak around the plant so the hosting state should start thinking......
-Disposing radioactive waste is now a global challenge which in recent times was done illegally by some so called developed nations.....
-The difference between nuclear energy and nuclear bomb is just how the fission is tempered......
-
-
-
The world is now a global village and international communities always monitor activities of any nuclear plant around the world so safety is always guarantee...
-To generate power with alternative energy sources is more expensive hence if you want to power Lagos with solar energy, you will need up to half of Lagos by land to install your panels....
-I personally still support Nuclear energy to generate electricity than any other energy sources.....
-Sensitive parts of any nuclear plant are always handle by professionals.....
-There would be training and retraining of personnel....
-Industries and investors will flood Nigeria....
-Nigeria will be rich...
-Nigeria will be great again....
-If it's not working, there are companies that specializes in shutting down, decommissioning and destroying nuclear plants around the world....
-It's better we give it a trial...

I support you mai brother..
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by fanficgirl(f): 9:49pm On Jul 21, 2016
Idiot leaders all deserve a slow death angry. Why doesn't someone just assasinate them already? This is what Niger Delta militants should be doing, killing them off slowly. Clueless barbaric set of imbeciles. Why can't you use coal, wind, solar, water to generate electricity? Stupid Northern leaders with the brain capacity of a goat. And we wonder why are average IQ is so low with idiotic Northern leaders like them?
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by igbanbajo(m): 6:22am On Jul 22, 2016
mrphysics:
Today, we read https://www.nairaland.com/3236793/fg-set-generate-electricity-uranium about the move by the federal government to generate electricity from the element Uranium, i read how many people opposed it while some agreed to it, let us briefly highlight some things about the heavy element Uranium.

a., Uranium is a very heavy metal which can be used as an abundant source of concentrated energy .Uranium occurs in most rocks in concentrations of 2 to 4 parts per million and is as common in the Earth's crust as tin, tungsten and molybdenum. Uranium occurs in seawater, and can be recovered from the oceans.

b.
Uranium was discovered in 1789 by Martin Klaproth, a German chemist, in the mineral called pitchblende. It was named after the planet Uranus, which had been discovered eight years earlier.
Uranium was apparently formed in supernovas about 6.6 billion years ago. While it is not common in the solar system, today its slow radioactive decay provides the main source of heat inside the Earth, causing convection and continental drift.

c.

The high density of uranium means that it also finds uses in the keels of yachts and as counterweights for aircraft control surfaces, as well as for radiation shielding.
Uranium has a melting point of 1132°C. The chemical symbol for uranium is U.

Let's keep going

Dedicated to my grandmother who left me to the world beyond today 20/7/2016 @ exactly 10:00 a.m. she was 72yrs, Till her death Oshiahu Rose Ngwuta was a peaceful woman. We will miss you.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/nuclear-fuel-cycle/introduction/what-is-uranium-how-does-it-work.aspx

Bookmarked
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by NigerianScholar: 6:58pm On Jul 22, 2016
Suntzung:
The country that suplied and install the reactor would also be responsible 4 the operations management and maintenance of the facility 4 several years b4 handing over to well trained local staffs.
Fg will pay in installments. And they will end up defaulting. This has happened several times
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Suntzung: 8:24pm On Jul 22, 2016
NigerianScholar:

Fg will pay in installments. And they will end up defaulting. This has happened several times
Any How Sha, but we realy need nuclear enargy in NIG.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by NigerianScholar: 9:58pm On Jul 22, 2016
Suntzung:
Any How Sha, but we realy need nuclear enargy in NIG.
We need energy not nuclear energy. We dont need nuclear waste In our already- polluted nation
And remember...accidents hhappen
Remember The Chernobyl accident, where the harmful effects of nuclear radiation on humans can even be witnessed today. Estimates conclude that somewhere between 15 000 and 30 000 people lost their lives in the Chernobyl aftermath and more than 2.5 million Ukrainians are still struggling with health problems related to nuclear waste
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 27, 2016
mrphysics:

So sorry sir, it's a name so pardon me. your take on the issue. do you think the government is making a nice move?
Nah. Nigeria is not ready for uranium.
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 27, 2016
RobinHez:

And u received 2 likes for this?? Sometimes I wonder.... lipsrsealed
The point of mentioning monikers, is to get their attention through their mentions. I actually stumbled upon this thread by accident. if not, It would have gone unseen.

Fact is, I get accused by people of ignoring mentions, when in fact, they're the ones misspelling my moniker.
Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by escapefromusa(f): 12:34am On Dec 13, 2016
kings09:
Do we need to know? Jst provide the electricity n while we enjoy it, ensure d nuclear plants r all located in d north manned by northern engineers. Pls don't come n tel us d north's climate is too hot for d plant to be sited there. An advanced country like Japan has not recovered from its Fukushima incident, na Nigeria wey neva achieve food security wan de use nuclear.

Re: FG To Generate Electricity From Uranium: Facts About Uranium You Should Know by mrgreene80: 2:08pm On Sep 29, 2018
Uranium and plutonium are both nuclear fuels used in the nuclear fission reaction that is controlled inside nuclear reactors.

These fuels (fossil fuels) are providing the heat required to produce steam (boiling water) and the steam will be used to rotate a turbine and generate clean electricity with the help of a generator connected to the spinning turbine.

The problem is that uranium, plutonium, and even thorium are all nuclear fuels represented by limited resources.

Due to the fact that these fuels used in the nuclear fission reaction are limited we can't consider nuclear power (produced by fission) a renewable energy source.

https://www.alternative-energies.net/is-nuclear-energy-renewable/

However, by using hydrogen in the nuclear fusion reaction to generate clean power (in the next decades) we can say that nuclear power produced this way, it is a renewable energy source because the main fuel used in the nuclear reaction is the simplest element hydrogen, which is also very abundant here on the planet and in the universe.

Image source: unsplash.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet Dreadnoughtus, Perhaps The Biggest Creature To Ever Walk The Planet. / Umar Maizaki Gets Scholarship In Gombe For Constructing NNPC Fuel Tanker Model / Rare Shiny Clouds Spotted On Mars (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.