Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,438 members, 7,850,535 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:17 AM

Buhari Was Right - Corruption is the Greatest Challenge In Nigeria - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Buhari Was Right - Corruption is the Greatest Challenge In Nigeria (402 Views)

Six Things We Grow Up To Know Was Right And Wrong,strictly For 90's Generations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Was Right - Corruption is the Greatest Challenge In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 20, 2016
Ms Pratibha Devisingh Patil, an Indian politician who served as the 12th President of India from 2007 to 2012 and also a member of the Indian National Congress: The only woman to hold the office, whilst giving her farewell speech on the eve of her hand-over as the president of India, said
“Corruption is the enemy of development, and of good governance.”
Corruption, a problem that has been hunting our dear nation for decades has reached its acme in the past years, making our blossoming economy to crumble at this sensitive junction. Corruption is a great menace which has bedeviled a large percent of the planet and not only Nigeria, is now a challenging challenge, which we as citizens, and our leaders at various sectors must fight headlong because it’s a generic problem.
Corruption, the umbrella under which all other challenges of the country are nursed, is a cankerworm which has slew a lot of people, either through injustice or penury. President Buhari, in an interview with Christiane Amanpour of Cable News Network once said, “if we don’t kill corruption, corruption will kill us.” Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines corruption as “impairment of integrity, virtue, or moral principle.”
Corruption is a chameleon which manifests itself in different colours which includes; extortion, cronyism, bribery among others.
Corruption poses a serious developmental challenge. Resources meant for the development and growth of the nation are tapped off to personal pockets. There is an improper promotion of unworthy workers by flouting the due process. Corruption makes the rich richer and the poor poorer, which has led to many depression cases, thereby leading to the yearly increase in mortality rate. It has become the true breeder of insecurity as corruption gives ways to looting of funds pumped out for purchase of weaponry. For example, the recent case of Sambo Dasuki embezzlement of a certain amount of money meant for the purchase of weapons to fight against the Boko haram sect. which has more sophisticated weapons than our gallant army. His corrupt act, as since then led to the death of a handful of soldiers and helpless civilians. It also leads to the punishment of the innocent and petting of the guilty, which has promoted wrongdoings in some way. The greatest weapon corruption has taken away from us is trust.
If I am opportuned to be in a position that grants me the power to tackle this great and old enemy of ours, these are the solutions I would prescribe:
Firstly, the strengthening our education sector and sensitization of the masses. Education will serve as an eye-opener to the citizens, making then understand their position, as a citizen. Education should be either free or affordable, because it’s a right and it’s right to have it. It makes the people easy to govern. Many of Nigeria’s citizens are ignorant of their right, duty and obligations as a citizen which is a factor that always gives corruption an abode to hide. They take part in aiding and abetting and believe it’s an act of showing love. Corruption is nursed from even the family, because of lack of sensitization (further education). Education should be made a must for every child and if possible every citizen.
Also, there should be independence of law enforcement agencies like the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC). I will grant these agencies independence outrightly giving them the power to arrest, prosecute, and punish anyone caught in any act of corruption without considering status and power. Thereafter immunity for government officers in power will be faulted. Intelligence property will be added to the agencies to further equip them, because the offenders also develop periodic routes to escape from the axe of the law. This intelligence property will make arrest and prosecution faster than ever.
On the whole, the government, the citizens, and every stakeholders has individual roles to play in ensuring corruption is nailed and buried, because it’s a disease that affect both poor and rich and nothing far from the endemic Ebola Virus. Therefore, to effectively solve this problem of ours, all reasonable solutions proffered by intellectuals must be considered. We must also be ready for the task, because it will be a war-demanding approach.
Share your views on how to curb it in the comment box

https://scholarzine./2016/07/20/corruption-greatest-challenge-in-nigeria/
Re: Buhari Was Right - Corruption is the Greatest Challenge In Nigeria by divinehand2003(m): 5:17pm On Jul 20, 2016
I don't agree with Buhari's opinion.

For me, the greatest enemy of the Nigerian nation is MEDIOCRITY AND IGNORANCE, defined simply as a gross inability to see the bigger picture of a potentially great nation.

Nigeria was once defined by a renowned Professor as '' A PLACE WHERE THINGS ARE DONE INCOMPLETELY WITH MEDIOCRES AT THE HELM OF AFFAIRS". I think he is correct.

If our leadership is faulty, our followership will be sick and blind.
Re: Buhari Was Right - Corruption is the Greatest Challenge In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 20, 2016
divinehand2003:
I don't agree with Buhari's opinion.

For me, the greatest enemy of the Nigerian nation is MEDIOCRITY AND IGNORANCE, defined simply as a gross inability to see the bigger picture of a potentially great nation.

Nigeria was once defined by a renowned Professor as '' A PLACE WHERE THINGS ARE DONE INCOMPLETELY WITH MEDIOCRES AT THE HELM OF AFFAIRS". I think he is correct.

If our leadership is faulty, our followership will be sick and blind.
Do you know Corruption is the tool that brings incompetent leaders into helms of affairs?

(1) (Reply)

#savemayowa: We Won’t Stop Raising Money, Say Entertainers / Latest UNILAG News. / 3 Things You Need To Know About People With Aspergers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.