Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,405 members, 7,836,630 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

Building An Online Business In Nigeria (2016 And Beyond) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Building An Online Business In Nigeria (2016 And Beyond) (667 Views)

29 Richest People In Nigeria 2016: Sire Emeka Offor Makes The List. / Top Ten Richest Personalities In Nigeria 2016 And Their Networth / Top 10 Online Shopping Websites In Nigeria (2016 Updated) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Building An Online Business In Nigeria (2016 And Beyond) by iwriterng(m): 3:33am On Jul 21, 2016
You Simply Can’t Succeed Overnight!

It’s very much possible to make a sustainable living from online business even when you reside in Nigeria. Gone are the days when it was extremely difficult to access the internet. Now it’s the easiest thing. There are cheap data everywhere, and the internet is considerably faster than it was several years ago.

You’ve got no excuse, if this is something you really want to do.

However, there are several misconception about building online businesses in Nigeria. Many people assume it’s a click and earn kind of thing. Once you get started, then you should start earning money right away. This explains why a larger percentage of people end up quitting after few weeks of trial.

“…Well, it’s not for me…” or you hear them say “… It’s a scam, it doesn’t work…”

The truth remains that, it works. People make living by building businesses online. And it can work for you as well. All you need is the proper information and the willingness to keep trying until you get it right.

The truth here is that, building a business online is quite similar to building a business online. You won’t quit an offline business because it fails to make reasonable profit after a month or two, will you? If the answer is yes, why then would you quit online business that early?

Breaking The Ice
For any online business you intend to get into, it’s important to give it time. Yes! It’s as simple as that. Be persistent and give it time. Don’t just quit along the way.

Normally, when I start a new venture, I’d give it my best for a year and see where it’s headed. A year is enough to know what the prospects are. They problem with most people is that, they spend just two months with full dedication, then abandon the project for another year, they pick up pace for another two months, then abandon it again…. Seriously? It doesn’t work like that.

Just be dedicated for the first year, and by the end of the first calendar year, you would be sure as regards whether you should keep at it or move on to the nest thing.

What You Need:

Really, there are not magic formula to success. What works for me would probably not work for you. You can only try the available options until something works. Yes. That’s how online business works.

However, here are the basic things you need to know about building online business in Nigeria.

What Type Of Business?

… There are tons of online businesses. The list is numerous. I am not even talking of MMM here (that’s not a business). I am talking of serious profitable online business. I only know a few, and would try to list some of them here.

The problem with most people is that, they get it mixed up. They don’t even know what they’re doing, they just jump into something, and after few month if it does not work out, then jump to something else. I call this the shiny object syndrome. I think we’ve all been there before.

Knowing the type of business you want to invest your time in would go a long way in keeping you focused until you break the ice.

Find a brief list of popular online businesses below.

Blogging

Freelance Writing

Web Development/Design

SEO services

Importation Business

Affiliate Marketing

App Development

Ebook Publishing

Drop Shipping

Graphic Design

Advertising Agency

Editing

Those are the few that comes to head right now.

Once you make a decision on what type of business you’d like to pursue, the next thing is to educate yourself about the entire process involved in such business.

Thankfully, there are several resources on Google, you simply can’t exhaust the information on Google. Read as much as you can. Follow people in the same industry as you. Ask questions and get started once you acquire the necessary information.

Don’t be shy, you can always learn on the job. You’re allowed to make mistakes as well. We all do.

Persistence Is The Key.

One of my favorite quote goes thus:

There are years when nothing happens, and there are days when years happens.

It’s self explanatory. Keep at it. Don’t stop until you reach that level of success you desire.

I’d be fooling you to tell you it’s very easy to make money online. No, it’s not. It takes great amount of effort. But one of the most important virtue that you need is persistence.

Once you’re able to stick to the plan, you would get there, sooner than later.

Source

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Experience Running A Cold Room/frozen Food Business / Worldremit Lauds CBN On Restoration Of International Money Transfer Operators / Skye Bank Shares Hit Record Low As Investors’ Fears Thicken

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.