Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,488 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List (21526 Views)

70-Year-Old Woman Banished For Having Sex: Maria Ude Nwachi Intervenes / Sunny Blu Opukiri, Gospel Artiste Assaulted By Police For Defending A Keke Rider / Zambian Woman Burns Her Husband & Sister For Having Sex. Graphic Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 21, 2016
limeta:
A zoo is a zoo... sorry
I agree. And an animal is an animal.
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by PrinceEvolution(m): 1:44pm On Jul 21, 2016
DONT worry bro..i grew up in the police barracks i know them like yesterday.buh i dont tweet never saw the relevance buh i have the app on my phone ..perhaps lateron at night i might decide to register..i will search you out ok..??
3rdlegxxx:

ur thinking just like me... all these comments and opinions are wasting here, dude u on twitter, OP u too?
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by MEGAWATCH: 1:44pm On Jul 21, 2016
I HAVE SAID THIS, AND I WILL KEEP SAYING IT. THERE COMES A TIME WHEN THE NIGERIA POLICE OFFICERS WILL PUSH NIGERIANS TO THE WALL, NIGERIANS WILL START KIKLING THE POLICEMEN DAILY. THE EARLIER THE POLICE REALIZES THIS THE BETTER FOR THE COUNTRY AS A WHOLE, NOBODY HAS THE MONOPOLY OF WICKEDNESS AND VIOLENCE.
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by Francoolee(m): 1:45pm On Jul 21, 2016
Your own better now. What about my broda wey dem stop at one of deir checkpoint in ijebu-ode, ogun state, obalende area, and ask abt evry papers wich he gave to them, knowin deres nothing again, dey asked of his waec result, dats hw he got to pay 5k bfor dem leave am..

2 Likes

Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by ponpon(m): 1:47pm On Jul 21, 2016
MEGAWATCH:
I HAVE SAID THIS, AND I WILL KEEP SAYING IT. THERE COMES A TIME WHEN THE NIGERIA POLICE OFFICERS WILL PUSH NIGERIANS TO THE WALL, NIGERIANS WILL START KIKLING THE POLICEMEN DAILY. THE EARLIER THE POLICE REALIZES THIS THE BETTER FOR THE COUNTRY AS A WHOLE, NOBODY HAS THE MONOPOLY OF WICKEDNESS AND VIOLENCE.

The earlier the police realize they are just a tiny spec in the entire population, it might be too late
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by hefelove(m): 1:48pm On Jul 21, 2016
Francoolee:
Your own better now. What about my broda wey dem stop at one of deir checkpoint in ijebu-ode, ogun state, obalende area, and ask abt evry papers wich he gave to them, knowin deres nothing again, dey asked of his waec result, dats hw he got to pay 5k bfor dem leave am..
Waec result? lmaooooooooooo I don die loooooooooooooooool
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by limeta(f): 1:48pm On Jul 21, 2016
Timbuktou:

I agree. And an animal is an animal.

Depend on where you standing
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by Richy4(m): 1:50pm On Jul 21, 2016
Op u mean u got harassed and almost got arrested because u got a foreign contact?

Anyways I'm glad a lot of Naira landers would be recruited this year, I equally know they have one or two ideas that having a foreign contact does not make one a thief...

I hope they will go and sanitize the illiteracy hoovering over the Nigerian police force..
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by 3rdlegxxx(m): 1:56pm On Jul 21, 2016
PrinceEvolution:
DONT worry bro..i grew up in the police barracks i know them like yesterday.buh i dont tweet never saw the relevance buh i have the app on my phone ..perhaps lateron at night i might decide to register..i will search you out ok..??

alrite man... twitter is by far the coolest social networking site and app i know, i have used Facebook and the rest but the real time effect and crowd it gathers and how the whole world loves and know it is what makes it a good tool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by olureignforever: 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2016
Thank God for your Stars. Some people are not so lucky. The prison is filled with innocent people, some died in the process, some are swaps to criminals. Just thank God.
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by hahn(m): 2:00pm On Jul 21, 2016
sszest:
I have always read news of police brutality online but never fully understood what the victims went through until I had a first hand experience on Wednesday, 13th July, 2016.
On that very day, which has become a day I will never forget in my life, I was headed to jibowu to assist my sister get a bus back to the east after her visit to Lagos. Just before the park area, there was a police checkpoint and as I was walking towards the park with my sister, one of the police officers at the checkpoint signaled me to come. When I went to answer him, he demanded for my phone, I brought it out, he collected it and started scrolling through my contacts. The next thing I heard was "You are a criminal! Wetin foreign number dey do for your phone?……...". The contact in question is that of my school friend who just went to the UK for his masters program, but before I could say Jack, I have been pushed into their vehicle, a danfo bus with the registration number, XU754LND.
Each time I demanded to know what exactly my crime was, the response I got was something like "Keep Quiet! Shut Up! You are a thief! You are a criminal!…..."
My sister was not also spared of the harassment. At that point, I had to raise my voice attracting passerby's who also demanded to know when having a foreign contact has become a crime. Suddenly, their oga instructed them to move.
I don't know how the thoughts came to me but before they moved, I jumped out of the bus through the window. With the heightened tension and the increasing number of people gathering there, they just threw my phone at me and sped off.

The following day, a friend of mine suggested I make a report at a police station. I took the advice and went to Alagbon Police Statio, Ikoyi. Do you know what they told me there? That since they no longer have my phone, I shouldn't worry, that "It's a normal thing". The Nigerian police literally told me that harassment of innocent citizens is a normal thing. Who else do I report to?

My understanding is that there are dozens of similar cases that go unnoticed daily especially in Lagos. As it is, I think the only way police brutality may be put to a near end is by giving such cases as much publicity as possible. May be at some point in the future, someone in a position of authority may be touched to take genuine actions to put an end to it and not just pay lip service.

Rossikk, you dumb twit. Did you see the bolded? That happened to Nigerians in Nigeria o and you were on the other thread talking about the justice system like it has ever helped anyone. Dingo like you tongue

@ sszest, just forget the issue. Nigerian police are a bunch of twats. Na their way undecided
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by PrinceEvolution(m): 2:03pm On Jul 21, 2016
am not even a fan of facebook i like facts ,i like to learn and always know..be up to date in all..have atleast an atom of knowledge just about everything..facebook is now a platform for fake lives and gossips..not a fan.
3rdlegxxx:

alrite man... twitter is by far the coolest social networking site and app i know, i have used Facebook and the rest but the real time effect and crowd it gathers and how the whole world loves and know it is what makes it a good tool
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by Miles300: 2:03pm On Jul 21, 2016
This is the most corrupt govt institution .. It needs an overhauling and reform .. When I hear they are fighting corruption I laff.. The first point of call to fight corruption should be from the security agencies .. If they are discipline enough I can see nigeria great again ..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by waxxydude: 2:09pm On Jul 21, 2016
limeta:

My guy you a good person don,t get me wrong.
But good people die, why bad people live prosper and multiply.
You need to travel out to see human countries .
A zoo is a zoo... sorry
Yea it's only normal. It's easier to be bad than good, destroy than create. I'm not so a good person cause i gat bad things i do, but, my life, i try to help as much & be highly lawful.

Which country? outside africa? Yeah, yo forgetting that majority blackmen have black heart. I've been to some W.African countries and sadly nothing to write home about especially compared to white world. Leaders, blackmen, blackheart.

One day, just one day i WILL change that. So till then, don't allow any demon under the facade "politician" divide you, make you hate your fellow COMMON man. Don't fight for them, let them die for you.

Maybe i can't make you stop calling home Zoo, but, babe yo don't see humans in a Zoo.
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by ocheejemb: 2:16pm On Jul 21, 2016
sszest:
I have always read news of police brutality online but never fully understood what the victims went through until I had a first hand experience on Wednesday, 13th July, 2016.
On that very day, which has become a day I will never forget in my life, I was headed to jibowu to assist my sister get a bus back to the east after her visit to Lagos. Just before the park area, there was a police checkpoint and as I was walking towards the park with my sister, one of the police officers at the checkpoint signaled me to come. When I went to answer him, he demanded for my phone, I brought it out, he collected it and started scrolling through my contacts. The next thing I heard was "You are a criminal! Wetin foreign number dey do for your phone?……...". The contact in question is that of my school friend who just went to the UK for his masters program, but before I could say Jack, I have been pushed into their vehicle, a danfo bus with the registration number, XU754LND.
Each time I demanded to know what exactly my crime was, the response I got was something like "Keep Quiet! Shut Up! You are a thief! You are a criminal!…..."
My sister was not also spared of the harassment. At that point, I had to raise my voice attracting passerby's who also demanded to know when having a foreign contact has become a crime. Suddenly, their oga instructed them to move.
I don't know how the thoughts came to me but before they moved, I jumped out of the bus through the window. With the heightened tension and the increasing number of people gathering there, they just threw my phone at me and sped off.

The following day, a friend of mine suggested I make a report at a police station. I took the advice and went to Alagbon Police Statio, Ikoyi. Do you know what they told me there? That since they no longer have my phone, I shouldn't worry, that "It's a normal thing". The Nigerian police literally told me that harassment of innocent citizens is a normal thing. Who else do I report to?

My understanding is that there are dozens of similar cases that go unnoticed daily especially in Lagos. As it is, I think the only way police brutality may be put to a near end is by giving such cases as much publicity as possible. May be at some point in the future, someone in a position of authority may be touched to take genuine actions to put an end to it and not just pay lip service.

Was one of them a huge yellow guy. They did this to me a few years ago too. I went to thier office and then they let me go. It was harassment but they didn't hurt me sha. They had two other guys in the bus though, and where negotiating a bribe.
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by ceasare: 2:19pm On Jul 21, 2016
@ OP I. Think we should all not let things fly like that
It isn't enough we all condemn what happened to the OP
But by retweeting and sharing on social media most of the
Police officers doing this will stop.they continue becos no one
Reports them.if u have a name or force ID nos of just one of
Them it would go a long way and the officer at alagbon who
Told you to go and forget it you should write or petition the
Commissioner of police Lagos state and copy the IG even if they
Didn't respond it will be on records and if possible write some press house
With ur narration of what happen and plead they publish in their dailies
And see result .....
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by waxxydude: 2:27pm On Jul 21, 2016
Deen77:

Do you know how many black police kill in America every year, just of recent they have to shot 15 police officers 5 dead.
Bruh, i don't get yo..
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by viso311: 2:31pm On Jul 21, 2016
that wz how dey stop me at mile2 busstop last yr november on a Saturday. dey search my bag nd go thru my fone for almost one hr looking for sometin to pin me down, wen dey cld not find anything, d guy now ask me why i passworded everything on my fone nd i said if my fone gets lost no one can access my documents. immediately d police man branded me a yahoo guy. bfore dey alow me to go i have to pay dem for time wasting,i can hear dere superior shouting at d man not to alow me go since ve delayed dem.i have d policeman pics on my fone nd he neva knew,bt i decided to let it go nd delete his pics.
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by 3rdlegxxx(m): 2:33pm On Jul 21, 2016
PrinceEvolution:
am not even a fan of facebook i like facts ,i like to learn and always know..be up to date in all..have atleast an atom of knowledge just about everything..facebook is now a platform for fake lives and gossips..not a fan.

Facebook Nigeria you mean.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 21, 2016
Vanquay16:
Remembered when I stepped into Muritala fresh from HS...The uglies zoned in on my Beats, wrists watch and started shouting

"Anything for the boys"...It was disgusting to my 18 yr old brain, the worst was it inflated my Dads ego and he proceeded to bring out a wad of cash and gave them smiling and with an air of arrogance and pomposity (...Maybe corruption really is in every cultural Nigerian.

OP please shut your police brutality, At least you are not being killed for being a black male

And whats this young baboon talking about..so d op shouldnt speak out because ur poor neighborhood is being terrorised by white police...abeg stick ur head deep in d toilet bowl n sniff ur sh!.t. seems u need a quick fix n u ran out of it

2 Likes

Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by SaintUlot: 2:35pm On Jul 21, 2016
Make money daily directly into your bank account. Check my signature to get started
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by PrinceEvolution(m): 2:36pm On Jul 21, 2016
hahahahahahahahahahahahah...no comment.
3rdlegxxx:

Facebook Nigeria you mean.
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by waxxydude: 2:37pm On Jul 21, 2016
Kenmoris22:
but is there any difference between Nigeria and Zoo .mention them pls
You and your entire family makes the diff bruh. Go check what a zoo is, how it operates and who/what you find in there. Do yo see yourself and family there?

On the heavier side, it'd be a shame if after years biafra don't materialize, you'd a family of your own here in a zoo (as you call her). What would yo tell your kids?
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by otokx(m): 2:50pm On Jul 21, 2016
Where they not wearing Uniforms? Why did you not get at least one of their names? So police operate from Danfo bus in Lagos?
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by Ejanla07: 2:54pm On Jul 21, 2016
sszest:

if u have ever lived in festac. u go understand. any young guy living in festac dat drive baby boy end of discussion, spider,,camry. will understand police harrassment.

the way police dey do wen dey see young guy in festac driving spider

and wen dey re sure u re not legit but u re clean dat moment

1 Like

Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by blackprowler: 3:00pm On Jul 21, 2016
waxxydude:
So are yo tryna tell me there weren't any ibo man in their midst? Look, i'm not against your biafra but calling my country and the country you were born in a zoo? Doesn't make you an animal? undecided undecided

Polite questions require polite answers.

I certainly wish fervently that you one day fall into the hands of Nigeria one day with a story you'll beg to believe is a dream; then I would see what your sentiments are. The OP is unduly polite sef. To me, Nigerian society is a jungle, with most people as apes. They've not reached 2016 human level. A zoo is an organised place

1 Like

Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by lobiologs(m): 3:04pm On Jul 21, 2016
"It's a normal thing" if he had gone there with a voice recorder or a video recorder and that had gone viral on the Internet, we would be the laughing stock of the world...
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 21, 2016
wickedworld:

Oh yes I am with u, it is time for change and we the masses must change this criminal actitude of Nigeria police it is getting too much.

They are the real criminals, rapist, killer, liar because they think they are the law.

Time has come the masses fight Nigeria police if possible jungle justice for them if the FG will not look into their case.

It's tweeting time. Yh, I got u guys back. If you are in don't just comment or like this. Head to twitter and comment about this but to easily trend there should be a unique #tag. What u say folks?
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by lmm4real: 3:27pm On Jul 21, 2016
sszest:

Welcome to the daily life of an average young man in Benin City.
See the police here check ur whattap, ask you to login to ur facebook account and even ur BBM is not speared. They even call all the foreign numbers on your phone just to be sure.

1 Like

Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by Ranchhoddas: 3:27pm On Jul 21, 2016
A land of apes and savages. Lawless nation.
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by comeandmarry: 3:30pm On Jul 21, 2016
When they see me in my tripple black 4wheels,dem go shout. ..park.
License, who owns dis car,
What do you do for a living,
Have you heard of Internet scam
Can I see your phone
Oya bring it.
I dont remember my password
You dey try me ba,
By d time we drill you,u go know if you dey under umbrella abi na under duress you dey.
Im sure hez a yahoo guy

If i dey go out,na torchlight.
If i carry car,I be soldier.

I get immunity men
Re: I Was Harrased By Police For Having A Foreign Number On Contact List by comeandmarry: 3:33pm On Jul 21, 2016
Benin police be agbero. Just carry torchlight incase you Wan enta town..as a wise Street boy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ebeng, University Lecturer In Calabar Shot Dead By Gunmen / Mentally-Deranged Anglican Priest Sets ATM Of Imo Microfinance Bank, Aba On Fire / Stranded Boat Passengers Cry For Help As Gunmen Kidnap All The Men On Boat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.