Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour (1320 Views)

Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? / Bakerhughes Injustice To Sacked Workers / Abdullahi Olatoye, The Windscreen Cleaner : A Victim Of Our Lost Humanity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by OAUTemitayo: 11:29pm On Jul 21, 2016
I really don't know where to start this from but I will try and be concise with my write-up.
My father is a medical laboratory technologist who has worked with Sacred Heart Hospital, Abeokuta (The first hospital in Nigeria) in the past. He worked there for over 15 years before he was compulsorily sacked due to some agitations by the labour union of which he was the secretary.
After their disengagement they were paid tokens as gratuities. Under the employment terms of agreement there, they were supposed to be placed on a monthly pension.
After waiting for some period of time for their monthly pension to be effected, they lodged a complaint with the hospital on the unnecessary delay of their pension entitlements. That was when they got the shocker, 'they are no more entitled to monthly pension'!, so said the hospital.
Agitated, they forwarded a petition to the Nigerian labour congress who promised to intervene and ensured that their pension entitlements are paid.
After a back and forth between NLC and the hospital management, NLC advised them to write a petition to the catholic diocese of Abeokuta since it is the owner of the hospital. After, repeated attempts to make the diocese to intervene in the issue met a wall, they initiated legal proceedings against the hospital. However they were unable to finance the accommodation fees of the lawyer who is an NLC lawyer seconded to handle their case. The then archbishop of the diocese advised them to withdraw the case from the court considering the financial burden it was putting on them and embrace dialogue. This they did.
After this there were several meetings between them and the hospital management with promises that their pension would be paid.
This is an issue that has been dragged since around 1995.
Some of the people have already accepted fate and destiny despite the suffering they are going through. Some of them spent over 20 years of their age with this hospital.
This issue rendered many of the people penniless.
My father refused to give up and is still pursuing all possible avenues to claim his rightful entitlements but recently I noticed he seems to be loosing steam so I made some enquiries and he broke down in tears lamenting how life has been harsh on him because he spent a sizeable part of his life working for a religious institutions that is supposed to be upright and just. Tears started rolling down my eyes. I decided I would do anything I can do.
This is injustice of the highest order.
It wasn't a contract job.
They were not dismissed for any offence.
They were disengaged because of the clash they had with the hospital management.
I don't really know how to fight this injustice.
I need the help of nairalanders.
Whatever form of assistance you can render to fight this injustice would be greatly appreciated.
Please pardon my grammar as I typed this from a mobile phone during the heat of the moment.
This happened to my own father .
Cc: Lalasticlala
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by OAUTemitayo: 11:31pm On Jul 21, 2016
I don't know how to fight this. This is sickening
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by OAUTemitayo: 11:41pm On Jul 21, 2016
I am thinking of writing a petition to the Catholic church of Nigeria. My father is suffering all because Catholic church refused to pay his pension dues
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by SamuelAnyawu(m): 11:56pm On Jul 21, 2016
Really sad cry
But i Never Knew Catholic hospitals pay pensions cool

Is he fighting for his full gratuity or pension?
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by Nobody: 12:01am On Jul 22, 2016
The Catholic Church has a good history of labour exploitation. But what is so annoying about the whole issue is that most of the so called Rev. Sisters that work in their various establishments are rogues, embezzling monies from local and international donor agencies that fund some of their organizations. I have a first hand experience and only wish they can be exposed for their inhuman treatment of staff that work for them.
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by OAUTemitayo: 12:02am On Jul 22, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:
Really sad cry
But i Never Knew Catholic hospitals pay pensions cool

Is he fighting for his full gratuity or pension?
He is fighting for his monthly pension allowance to which he is duly entitled to. People who retired before them are being paid but because they had altercations with the management they are being denied their right
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by dokiOloye(m): 2:31am On Jul 22, 2016
Remove d "catholic church" in ur title and just mention d name of d hospital in question.
Thanks.
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by dokiOloye(m): 2:34am On Jul 22, 2016
kaorama:
The Catholic Church has a good history of labour exploitation. But what is so annoying about the whole issue is that most of the so called Rev. Sisters that work in their various establishments are rogues, embezzling monies from local and international donor agencies that fund some of their organizations. I have a first hand experience and only wish they can be exposed for their inhuman treatment of staff that work for them.
Pls,what do they do wt d money U are alleging they embezzle?
Do they use it to build house in their fathers' compound or spend it on their children abi buy cars or expensive clothes?
Pls answer,I'm curious.
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by Nobody: 3:59am On Jul 22, 2016
dokiOloye:
Pls,what do they do wt d money U are alleging they embezzle?
Do they use it to build house in their fathers' compound or spend it on their children abi buy cars or expensive clothes?
Pls answer,I'm curious.

Exactly. Some of them also run big shops at nearby shopping complexes. How would you believe a so called Matron could mismanage monies meant for health workers attending to HIV patients while such a staff who may be a medical doctor would go home with less than 90k per month?
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by OAUTemitayo: 4:46am On Jul 22, 2016
dokiOloye:
Remove d "catholic church" in ur title and just mention d name of d hospital in question.
Thanks.
Well there is no justification to do that. Catholic diocese have been aware of this issue for the past 15 years and didn't do anything about. Moreover, they are the owner of the hospital.
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by OAUTemitayo: 4:50am On Jul 22, 2016
Lalasticlala this thread is not suppose to be here. Mynd44 why did you move this thread here?
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by SirVintageCock: 8:15am On Jul 22, 2016
You are in on a long thing here.

Any written agreement to justify your claims and arguments, cos they might sue you for defamation or maybe libel something...
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by agitator: 8:58am On Jul 22, 2016
I don't really know the content and terms of the employment agreement. But most times when someone is sacked as against retirement the person losses all claims to pensions and in come instances even gratuity. undecided undecided undecided

OAUTemitayo:

It wasn't a contract job.
They were not dismissed for any offence.
They were disengaged because of the clash they had with the hospital management.
Cc: Lalasticlala

If the hospital management can disengage them because of clash, then there must be terms in the agreement supporting this, otherwise it is illegal. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by OAUTemitayo: 12:26pm On Jul 22, 2016
dp
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by OAUTemitayo: 12:30pm On Jul 22, 2016
agitator:
I don't really know the content and terms of the employment agreement. But most times when someone is sacked as against retirement the person losses all claims to pensions and in come instances even gratuity. undecided undecided undecided

If the hospital management can disengage them because of clash, then there must be terms in the agreement supporting this, otherwise it is illegal. undecided undecided undecided
The hospital management has never denied the fact that this people are entitled to their monthly pension. They said under new rules they are not entitled to it. But the people said the new terms were implemented after their disengagement which the management did not deny.
They urged them to withdraw the case from court then and embrace dialogue which they did but the dialogue have been on for the past ten years.
They just keep telling them to wait.....
Wait till how many years....
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by akaahs(m): 9:39pm On Jul 22, 2016
Ops i 'll advice u to forward ur fathers complain to BEREKETE FAMILY of DR ordinary Ahmed Musa in abuja. He 'll surely fight for ur father.
Re: Catholic Church And Injustice To Humanity, Dignity And Labour by donifez(m): 3:06am On Sep 02, 2016
I hope this get to front-page, they opted for out of court because it will enable the supposed pensioners win in the long run. The problem is money to finance lawyers for the case. Since it is a come today - come tomorrow thing, it will only lead to frustration.

If you can write to any human right organisation, there might be an headway.

I hope your dad has legal documents were the supposed hospital insisted on paying them monthly?

This thread should be on front-page because that is where it will be given full hearing and advice.

Please lalasticlala take this to the front-page. Thanks!.

(1) (Reply)

Lady: If My Manager Touches My Boobs Unauthorized, This Must Happen(video) / How To Create USA Paypal Account Without Fear Of Ban / All You Need To Know About Bgfunds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.