Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,944 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

Achebe Gets Professional Chair In Ivy League University - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Achebe Gets Professional Chair In Ivy League University (1184 Views)

Unyime-ivy King’s Burning Hurt Set For Public Presentation / UNYIME-IVY KING – “burning Hurt” Akwa Ibom’s Bestfemale Literary Fiction Writer / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Achebe Gets Professional Chair In Ivy League University by AloyEmeka6: 9:36pm On Sep 15, 2009
Achebe gets new professorial chair in U.S. varsity
From Laolu Akande, New York

RENOWNED Nigerian writer, Chinua Achebe, has been named to a professorial chair at one of the universities considered an ivy league school in the United States (U.S.), Brown University, in Providence Rhode Island.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/sep/15/31.html

The university is the seventh oldest U.S. higher education institution and was founded before the American Independence in 1764, while the country was still a colony of the British.

The university's president, Ruth J. Simmons and Dr. Tricia Rose, the chairman of the university's Africana Department, confirmed the appointment in a statement circulated at the weekend in the U.S.

According to the president of the university, "Brown is delighted" to be associated with Achebe's work.

In his reaction yesterday to the appointment, Achebe told The Guardian that "President Ruth Simmons has provided an unusual opportunity for me to continue my life's work at one of the world's greatest institutions - Brown University."

Achebe, the author of the classic, Things Fall Apart, added that "I am delighted to be invited to contribute in my small way to her - Brown University - vision to bring all the world's cultures including Africa onto the world stage in conversation."

Up till now, Achebe has been with Bard University, another private U.S. college in upstate New York. He spoke glowingly of his 19-years relationship with Bard and his determination to continue his association with that university.

At Bard, Achebe was the Charles P. Stevenson Professor of Languages and Literature and at Brown, he will be the David and Marianna Fisher University Professor and Professor of Africana Studies.

He said: "My history and ongoing relationship with Bard is very important to me. I want to preserve and enhance the excellent and gratifying work that we have begun and will maintain at Bard. President Leon Botstein and my many colleagues at Bard have my enduring gratitude for their vision and commitment to my life's work."

In the announcement from Brown University, the U.S. ivy league school described Achebe as an "internationally acclaimed Nigerian novelist."

Brown University said Achebe was the "acknowledged godfather to many African writers," adding that "for many decades, Achebe has worked to build greater understanding of Africa through his uncompromising political commentary, social critique and creative writing."

Dr. Tricia Rose, chair of the Department of Africana Studies, also commended Achebe, saying: "We are honoured and thrilled to welcome Professor Achebe to Africana studies and to the Brown community. He is a towering figure in African literature and post-colonial thought. We will benefit enormously from his on-going insights into the necessity and complexity of global, cross-racial translations and exchanges."

Prof. Achebe, who rejected a national award from the Obasanjo administration a few years ago, served for a time as editor of the African Writers Series for Heinemann Publishing.

He is the author of many novels, collections of short stories, poetry and essays.
Re: Achebe Gets Professional Chair In Ivy League University by semid4lyfe(m): 10:00pm On Sep 15, 2009
Wonderful News! I'm happy for him.

I doff my hat for the greatest novelist/writer to ever emerge from Africa.
Re: Achebe Gets Professional Chair In Ivy League University by zmurda(m): 10:59pm On Sep 15, 2009
Nice.
Re: Achebe Gets Professional Chair In Ivy League University by AloyEmeka6: 11:17pm On Sep 16, 2009
semid4lyfe:

Wonderful News! I'm happy for him.

I doff my hat for the greatest novelist/writer to ever emerge from Africa. 

Ngugi wa thiongo.

Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o (born January 5, 1938[1]) is a Kenyan author, formerly working in English and now working in Gĩkũyũ. His work includes novels, plays, short stories, essays and scholarship, criticism and children's literature. He is the founder and editor of the Gikuyu-language journal, Mutiiri. Ngugi went into exile following his release from a Kenyan prison in 1977; living in the United States, he taught at Yale University for some years, and has since also taught at New York University, with a dual professorship in Comparative Literature and Performance Studies, and the University of California, Irvine.
[size=14pt]"The reason why Ngugi is the greatest writer to have come from East and Central Africa is because, like Peter Abrahams in South Africa and Chinua Achebe in West Africa, he writes about big subjects."[/size][2] "The three writers are for literature what Kwame Nkrumah, Jomo Kenyatta and Nelson Mandela are for politics."[2] It has been noted that "it is very difficult for writers like Meja Mwangi, Francis D. Imbuga and Jared Angira to enjoy Ngugi's prominence, because the paths they have chosen are smaller. They do not directly draw from history."
Re: Achebe Gets Professional Chair In Ivy League University by naliakar: 2:54am On Sep 17, 2009
Achebe deserves it. He is far greater than the recognition bestows. Ngugi is great too just as Soyinka, Ghana's Ayi kwei Armah, Senegal's Sembene Ousmane or Cameroon's Ferdinard Oyono. Other writers have their moments and sometimes it is hard to get a common template for comparing writers.
Re: Achebe Gets Professional Chair In Ivy League University by AloyEmeka6: 7:19am On Oct 29, 2009
Yesoooooooooooooo
Re: Achebe Gets Professional Chair In Ivy League University by SEFAGO(m): 10:20am On Oct 30, 2009
Achebe is one of the most brilliant minds that graced Africa. I am so proud he is from Nigeria grin grin grin. I think he is prolly the most famous african in the world
Re: Achebe Gets Professional Chair In Ivy League University by jaybee3(m): 10:27am On Oct 30, 2009
SEFAGO:

Achebe is one of the most brilliant minds that graced Africa. I am so proud he is from Nigeria grin grin grin. I think he is prolly the most famous african in the world
Mandela
Re: Achebe Gets Professional Chair In Ivy League University by SEFAGO(m): 10:30am On Oct 30, 2009
Mandela

the guy was a freedom fighter- but yeah i forgot Mandela, well Achebe is second. I think Achebe is respected for his brilliance and Mandela is seen just like MLK.

(1) (Reply)

Visa Lottery: A Tool In The Hands Of Modern Slave Masters / What Is Joy? A Short Story / 51 Words You Should Know How To Pronounce [part 2]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.