Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,014 members, 7,817,987 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Born Again, What Does It Mean? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Born Again, What Does It Mean? (976 Views)

How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / "Firstborn" Does It Mean First Created? Jehovah's Witness! / I Saw A Snake In My Dream. What Does It Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Born Again, What Does It Mean? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Sep 15, 2009
This topic, Born Again, is understood differently by different Christian Organisation.
For example Jehovah's Witnesses say you are born again not to live on earth but for the coming kingdom. BLW believes a born again Christian cannot sin even if he fornicates for example because it is not in the nature of the born again christian to commit sin.
There are different theologies surrounding this topic. So what is the real meaning of Born Again according to the Bible.
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by GODSON2009(m): 1:24am On Sep 16, 2009
being born again means to be dead to sin,the sinful world and all its filthy lucres and then ressurect i.e being born again(not literally)into a new life and new way of doing things,serving the lord,
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by Nobody: 6:49am On Sep 16, 2009
@Godson
being Born Again, is it an instant thing or a gradual process? Is it based on works or on faith? Is salvation the same as being born again? Why does BLW preach that a born again christian cannot commit sin? Expecting your reply.
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by MrCrackles(m): 12:40pm On Sep 16, 2009
GODSON2009:

being born again means to be dead to sin,the sinful world and all its filthy lucres and then ressurect i.e being born again(not literally)into a new life and new way of doing things,serving the lord,
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by plappville(f): 2:06am On Sep 03, 2012
babaearly: This topic, Born Again, is understood differently by different Christian Organisation.
For example Jehovah's Witnesses say you are born again not to live on earth but for the coming kingdom. BLW believes a born again Christian cannot sin even if he fornicates for example because it is not in the nature of the born again christian to commit sin.
There are different theologies surrounding this topic. So what is the real meaning of Born Again according to the Bible.

I used to understand it this way before, but the truth is that We cant be “born again” in this life with our physical body . Christ is the First born from the dead. (first Born again) (Colossians 1:15-18) 
And he says His kingdom is not of this world ( John 18:36) this means, The kingdom of God Is not here now. Notice when Nicodemus asked  Christ about how to be saved (enter into the Kingdom) (John 3:1-6) the reply was “Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God” Nicodemus did not get the msg. But "HOW?“ Jesus replied, Except a man be born of water [the first physica human birth after conversion] and of the "Spirit" [At the resurrection], he cannot enter into the kingdom of God” As we are not yet SPIRIT, but Flesh and Blood, we cannot enter into God’s kingdom.  because Paul made it clearer that “flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God” (I Cor. 15:50). Professing Jesus Christ does not make us Born again but made us "new creatures",( 2 Corinthians 5:17) (Rom 6:4) (ezekiel36:26.) New in everything that we do. Our physical and spiritual living/ways will become new.
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by CrazyMan(m): 8:24am On Sep 03, 2012
Take your time to read this passage, and I believe it would be much clearer to you.

[b]John 3:1-12 Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him."

3 Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again."

4 "How can someone be born when they are old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother's womb to be born!"

5 Jesus answered, "Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

9 "How can this be?" Nicodemus asked.

10 "You are Israel's teacher," said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things? 11 Very truly I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12 I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,15 that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him."

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. 19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.[/b]
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by esere826: 8:36am On Sep 03, 2012
@OP

'Born again' was referred to only once in the bible. But I guess that our fear of the after life made christians adopt its usage so profiously. Please also remember that Nicodemus did not ask christ about going to heaven before christ explained the meaning of born again to him. this should tell us something really deep.
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by Image123(m): 11:00am On Sep 03, 2012
to be born again is to be born a second time, the first being the physical birth and the second being spiritual birth as a child of God, a new creature.
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by plappville(f): 3:02pm On Sep 03, 2012
Image123: to be born again is to be born a second time, the first being the physical birth and the second being spiritual birth as a child of God, a new creature.

Being a new creature you still live in the "flesh and blood" (physical) which the bible stated that You cannot enter the kingdom of God. flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God” (I Cor. 15:50). Entering into Gods kingdom is inheriting it. Have u entered the Kingdom now?

But you will habe been a new creature since you denouced ur bad past to follow Christ. You will become born again during ressuraction.
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by oiseworld: 4:49pm On Sep 03, 2012
plappville:

Being a new creature you still live in the "flesh and blood" (physical) which the bible stated that You cannot enter the kingdom of God. flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God” (I Cor. 15:50). Entering into Gods kingdom is inheriting it. Have u entered the Kingdom now?

But you will habe been a new creature since you denouced ur bad past to follow Christ. You will become born again during ressuraction.

this your interpretation is powerful, i can't stop laughing.
when the Bible says living in the flesh it means you are controlled by the flesh and when it says you must be born of the spirit it also means to be controlled by the spirit. being controlled by the spirit is to understand that the spirit has great influence over the physical(flesh) and decide to take control of the spirit.

God is a spirit and they that worship him MUST worship him in spirit and in truth. soo being born of the spirit is to be influence by God and his desires.
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by Image123(m): 5:17pm On Sep 03, 2012
plappville:

you HAVE TO BE born again before you can enter the kingdom of God. Except a man be born again, he cannot, must not, and would not enter into the kingdom of God.
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by Kobojunkie: 6:57pm On Apr 20, 2023
This topic, Born Again, is understood differently by different Christian Organisation.
As Jesus Christ explained in His sermon to Nicodemus, Man was born flesh and blood from his mother's womb. Jesus Christ told you this in His Gospel, affirming what God said in the beginning when He pointed out that man was made from the clay of this earth, not spirit - Genesis 2 vs 6 - 7
5 Jesus answered, “Believe me when I say that everyone must be born from water and the Spirit. Anyone who is not born from water and the Spirit cannot enter God’s kingdom.
6 The only life people get from their human parents is physical. But the new life that the Spirit gives a person is spiritual.
7 Don’t be surprised that I told you, ‘You must be born again.’
8 The wind blows wherever it wants to. You hear it, but you don’t know where it is coming from or where it is going. It is the same with everyone who is born from the Spirit.”
9 Nicodemus asked, “How is all this possible?”
10 Jesus said, “You are an important teacher of Israel, and you still don’t understand these things?
11 The truth is, we talk about what we know. We tell about what we have seen. But you people don’t accept what we tell you.
12 I have told you about things here on earth, but you do not believe me. So I’m sure you will not believe me if I tell you about heavenly things!
13 The only one who has ever gone up to heaven is the one who came down from heaven—the Son of Man.
14 “Moses lifted up the snake in the desert. It is the same with the Son of Man. He must be lifted up too.
15 Then everyone who believes in him can have eternal life.”
16 Yes, God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son so that everyone who believes in him would not be lost but have eternal life.
17 God sent his Son into the world. He did not send him to judge the world guilty but to save the world through him. - John 3 vs 5 - 17
Jesus Christ went on to explain in the passage above that being born-again means to be born of the Spirit of Eternal Life , and He, the Spirit of Eternal Life wields control over those who are born of Him turning them in whichever direction He—Spirit of Eternal Life — chooses aka Spiritual possession. Basically, to be born of the Spirit of (Eternal Life) is to be possessed by the Spirit of Eternal Life . undecided

So, if you have yet to be possessed by the Spirit of Eternal Life, you have yet to become born-again, and enter into the Kingdom of God. If you do not have a controlling spirit living inside of you eternally or at least 24/7, you are not born-again. Of utmost is that one has to be born-again before one can enter into the Kingdom of God either through the broad Gate which leads to eternal damnation at the end, or through the narrow gate which leads to eternal reward at its end - Matthew 7 vs 13 - 14 & Luke 13 vs 22 - 30.
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by Kobojunkie: 7:04pm On Apr 20, 2023
GODSON2009:
1. That statement is a bloody lie! No where in the context of the conversation which Jesus Christ had with Nicodemus regarding the subject — born-again— was the problem of sin raised - John 3 vs 1 - 21. undecided
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:06pm On Apr 20, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Many things Jesus said were taken out of context by misinformed churchgoers. The verse most people quotes regarding born again is not talking to all Christians but as usual some impostors who have been misled by their cravings for material possessions {Philippians 3:18-19} these people are the ones misleading others {2Timothy 3:13} saying everyone must be born again.

Nicodemus was the one and only person Jesus directly talked to about being born again it was never mentioned again so what happened?

The first century Jews had a high court and all members of this court serve as the religious rulers among the Jews {John 3:1 compare to Luke 18:18} this ruling class strongly believe that they've prepared themselves ready for the Kingdom of the promised Messiah (Christ) as they're seeing to the affairs of the Jewish nation and teaching their people God's word.
The group was made up of two fractions:
Pharisees ~ Religious ruling class based on the reformation of the temple and edited laws of Moses, they have added their own meaning to the laws and this was affected by what they learned from pagan customs like Babylon and Greece, they felt the God of Abraham is higher than all others so they forbid their people from mentioning His name this is a misinterpretation of what was written in the Mosaic laws. Exodus 20:7
Sadducees ~ Religious ruling class arranged by Herod Antipas the Judea King. This group only sit in the court to protect the interest of King Herod so they also add their own opinion which often leads to arguments between the two groups {Act 23:6-7} however the Roman government colonizing them decreed that if they want to be recognized by Roman empire they must agree as one (this was used as a snare to make them disagree so that both will be cancelled) but the two groups agreed.
The Roman government also forced them to agree that any of the two groups can produce the High Priest of the Jews even though this is in total contrast to what was written in God's law both groups agreed as they're desperately interested in being part of the political movement.
Their major concern is that the Messiah (Christ) will come and lead them into conquest first against Rome and all other powerful nations of the earth {Daniel 2:44} so that they will rule forever with the Christ as written in the prophecies! Isaiah 9:6-7

So when Jesus of Nazareth began performing up to expectation just as it was written in the scriptures many of them realized that at last the Messiah (Christ) has arrived but instead of coming into their midst and planning with them on how to proceed with the things written Jesus was going to poor and sinful Jews who only manage to pick few things from the teachings of their religious rulers so it was like what they expected totally differs from what the young man (Jesus) is doing!

This is why some of them like Nicodemus went to seek Jesus' approval secretly {John 3:2} and trust Jesus who is highly intelligent he quickly hit the nail on the head by telling Nicodemus that what that group is expecting none of them can have it unless they humble become part of his disciples and forgo all their political ambitions {Luke 18:18-23} so they must be baptized as disciples of Christ and await the baptism by the spirit which only belongs to those who will be fully prepared to work for the Christ {John 3:3-6 compare to Matthew 20:20-23} many Jews surely got baptized in water and became Jesus' disciples but before long most of them deserted Jesus when he used an illustration to emphasize what they needed to do before they can be part of his ruling team! John 6:48-66

However twelve of all his disciples stood firm knowing fully well that there's no other place or group they can be to gain salvation {John 6:67-69} but despite all their suffering with Jesus one out of the twelve also lost in the race! John 6:70-71

By the time God will baptize the first set of Christ's co-rulers among the Jews 120 loyal disciples of Christ were together faithfully praying to God in Jesus name in anticipation of the promises of God and what Jesus told them, that was the day they were baptized as the first set of Christ's co-rulers to become BORN AGAIN Christians! Act 2:1-4

The spirit of God would have chosen all the co-rulers among the Jews only while all other nations will have to gain salvation through them {Zechariah 8:23} but most Jews weren't ready {Matthew 22:4-5} in fact they were criticizing the faith in Christ Jesus {Matthew 22:6 compare to Act 5:28, 40} that's why the invitation to become part of Christ's co-rulers was extended to people of other nations! Matthew 22:7-10 compare to John 1:11-12

From the beginning Jerusalem supposed to be the government house of God's Kingdom {Isaiah 2:3} but the Jews has brought a big curse on that city {Matthew 23:37-38} that's why Jesus told his disciples bad bad things that will happen to their city {Matthew 24:1-2} they became devastated because if Jerusalem is destroyed again after Christ has come then where are they going to stay as Christ's co-rulers? That's why Jesus said:

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Exercise faith in God; exercise faith also in me. In the house of my Father are many dwelling places. Otherwise, I would have told you, for I am going my way to prepare a place for you. Also, if I go my way and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will receive you home to myself, so that where I am you also may be." John 14:1-3

So it's not all Christians that needed to become BORN AGAIN rather it's only those that will rule with Christ and it's not by effort or ability because it's God Himself who selects them Jesus have no say in the selection of those going to rule with him {Matthew 20:23} he can only teach them if they act on what he taught God Himself does the selection!

May you have PEACE! smiley
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by MightySparrow: 7:27pm On Apr 20, 2023
[quote author=MaxInDHouse post=122643374][/quote]

1Pet.1.23 - For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

It is not mentioned again kwa?

This epistle was written not to a particular people like Romans, Colossians etc. It is general epistle.

Roman 10: 9 - 10
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:29pm On Apr 20, 2023
Papa Oyedepo atheist pikin! grin

MightySparrow:

1Pet.1.23 - For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. It is not mentioned again kwa?
This epistle was written not to a particular people like Romans, Colossians etc. It is general epistle. Roman 10: 9 - 10
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by Kobojunkie: 7:30pm On Apr 20, 2023
■ being Born Again, is it an instant thing or a gradual process?
■ Is it based on works or on faith?
■ Is salvation the same as being born again?
■ Why does BLW preach that a born again christian cannot commit sin? Expecting your reply.
1. The process starts from the moment you decide to make the change from following the Old Law of Moses to following the New Law and Covenant in the Kingdom of God. As Jesus Christ made clear, you have to be born of Water and born of Spirit in order to then gain access to the Kingdom of God (either through the Broad gate or the narrow gate - Matthew 7 vs 13 - 14- depending on your approach to things). undecided

To be born of Spirit means to be born of the Spirit of Eternal life aka grace, and He, as described by Jesus Christ in John 3 vs 5 - 8, is not a passive passenger that possesses you. What this means is that when He comes onboard of you — when you are born of Him— you will be aware of His presence. And His presence — a new consciousness in you— means you are [b]eternally [/b]bound to the New Covenant and the Kingdom of God — there is no going back after that handshake. undecided

2. Pretty much because you cannot be born again if you do not obey the simple commands required for the process to take place. Faith refers to work done in trust and obedience to the teachings and commandments of God, in this case, Jesus Christ — God's Law in the Kingdom of God. undecided

3. There are two salvations offered by Jesus Christ actually. The first you experience when you become born-again is salvation from the penalty of Death that was upon you before as a result of God's Judgement against all sinners of Israel. undecided

4. The religion of Christianity is founded on the doctrines and traditions of men i.e. lies that have nothing to do with that which is in fact stated in scripture and are the works of the antichrists— false teachers and false prophets — that Jesus Christ warned His disciples to steer clear of. undecided
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by MightySparrow: 7:33pm On Apr 20, 2023
MaxInDHouse:
Papa Oyedepo atheist pikin! grin

Proudly pentecostal. Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:35pm On Apr 20, 2023
MightySparrow:

Proudly pentecostal. Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!

Oya begin quoting Romans 10:2-3 to justify the useless religion Oyedepo arranged to gather faithless miscreants like you.
Please explain how you people are submitting to the righteousness of God as written in God's word not how you're blindly following Oyedepo! cheesy
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by bobestman(m): 7:44pm On Apr 20, 2023
I am born before
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by Kobojunkie: 8:46pm On Apr 20, 2023
plappville:
■ I used to understand it this way before, but the truth is that We cant be “born again” in this life with our physical body . Christ is the First born from the dead. (first Born again) (Colossians 1:15-18) 
■ And he says His kingdom is not of this world ( John 18:36) this means, The kingdom of God Is not here now. Notice when Nicodemus asked  Christ about how to be saved (enter into the Kingdom) (John 3:1-6) the reply was “Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God” Nicodemus did not get the msg.
■ But "HOW?“ Jesus replied, Except a man be born of water [the first physical human birth after conversion] and of the "Spirit" [At the resurrection], he cannot enter into the kingdom of God”
■ As we are not yet SPIRIT, but Flesh and Blood, we cannot enter into God’s kingdom.  because Paul made it clearer that “flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God” (I Cor. 15:50).
■ Professing Jesus Christ does not make us Born again but made us "new creatures",( 2 Corinthians 5:17) (Rom 6:4) (ezekiel36:26.) New in everything that we do. Our physical and spiritual living/ways will become new. 
1. But Jesus Christ said it is possible to be born-again in this life hence the reason why He offered the Kingdom of God to us living, not to the dead.

2. The Kingdom of God itself arrived after, not before, Jesus Christ was resurrected from the dead, and this was almost 2000 years ago. undecided

3. Jesus Christ never indicated in the context of that conversation that the death and resurrection of the individual were necessary so I am not certain why you feel the need to add that of your own.

4. You acquire a spirit when you become born-again. Again, only those who are alive can enter into the Kingdom of God. The dead cannot do that. undecided

5. Indeed, as Jesus Christ explained in the context of[b] John 3 vs 1 - 21[/b], to become born again no be by mouth but by action. undecided
Re: Born Again, What Does It Mean? by Kobojunkie: 9:21pm On Apr 21, 2023
esere826:
@OP

'Born again' was referred to only once in the bible. But I guess that our fear of the after life made christians adopt its usage so profiously. Please also remember that Nicodemus did not ask christ about going to heaven before christ explained the meaning of born again to him. this should tell us something really deep.
Man was born flesh and blood from his mother's womb. Jesus Christ told you this in His Gospel, affirming what God said in the beginning when He pointed out that man was made from the clay of this earth, not spirit - Genesis 2 vs 6 - 7
5 Jesus answered, “Believe me when I say that everyone must be born from water and the Spirit. Anyone who is not born from water and the Spirit cannot enter God’s kingdom.
6 The only life people get from their human parents is physical. But the new life that the Spirit gives a person is spiritual.
7 Don’t be surprised that I told you, ‘You must be born again.’
8 The wind blows wherever it wants to. You hear it, but you don’t know where it is coming from or where it is going. It is the same with everyone who is born from the Spirit. - John 3 vs 5 - 8
You cannot ignore the detail given by Jesus Christ highlighted in blue above. To be born of the Spirit of the Eternal life of God is to be possessed by a power that wields control over your very being. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Where Is The Proliferation Of Churches Leading Us? / For Those Of You That Still Doubt The Existence Of Heaven And Hell! / A Powerful Warning - Lest We Forget The Message By David Wilkerson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.