Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,127 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory (7840 Views)

David Mark Drives Through Loko-Oweto Road To Otukpo As Project Nears Completion / PDP Can’t Continue With ‘imposition Of Candidates’ — David Mark / Tribunal Upholds David Mark’s Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by ijustdey: 1:20pm On Jul 22, 2016
The Court of Appeal sitting in Makurdi in Benue state today upheld the victory of a former Senate President, David Mark, as earlier pronounced by the lower National Assembly Election Petition Tribunal.

Justice Oyebisi Omoleye who led the three-man panel struck out the case brought before it by the All Progressives Congress (APC)'s candidate, Daniel Onjeh for lacking merit.

The panel held that the appellant (Onjeh) filed his petition out of time as required by the Electoral Law, therefore, rendering the petition incompetent and so, "the appeal is dismissed."

According to Omoleye, the appellant petition was filed on the 22nd day of declaration of the election result by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) which affirmed Mark of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as senator representing Benue South senatorial district.

Daily Trust reports that the rerun election between Mark and Onjeh held on February 20, this year and results were declared by INEC the following day, February 21 but Onjeh had filed his petition on March 13, one day later than the required 21-day as stipulated by law.

Onjeh had approached the tribunal asking it to declare him winner of the poll for which INEC earlier affirmed Mark as scoring the highest votes to return back to the senate after he was sacked in October last year by Justice Peter Ige's appeal panel which ordered the rerun.

But, in her ruling on June 30, Justice Chinyere Gloria Anulube of the lower tribunal held that Onjeh's petition was filed out of the stipulated 21 days as enshrined in the Nigerian constitution, adding that, the petition was "defective and incurably bad."

Mark had emerged winner of the repeated election with a total votes of 84,192 to beat his APC's opponent, Onjeh who scored 71, 621 votes leaving a difference of 12,571 votes between them.

The INEC's Chief returning officer, Prof. Ishaq Shuaibu Enegi declared the result exactly 6:20am on Sunday, February 21.

Reacting to today's judgment, counsel to Mark, Ken Ikonne simply said he was happy.

But, the counsel to Onjeh, Sunday Ayegba said: "we are not happy with the decision of the appeal panel but there is nothing we can do."

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/politics/appeal-court-upholds-mark-victory/156407.html

Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by UltimatedeBest(m): 1:49pm On Jul 22, 2016
We all knew it will go d way of Sen. Mark, Onjeh would have eaten d humble pie wen d re-run election result was declared. Congrats to Mark and I wish Onjeh all d best in his future political aspirations.

9 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by Ayoswit(f): 2:13pm On Jul 22, 2016
congrats, this is a well deserved victory.

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by IffaCatchYouEhn(m): 2:15pm On Jul 22, 2016
I'm commentless undecided

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by Ezenwammadu(m): 2:15pm On Jul 22, 2016
This onjeh reminds me of the small bird nza who after a heavy meal challenged his personal god to a fight

I don't know how that boy thinks he can floor a political heavy weight

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by izzou(m): 2:15pm On Jul 22, 2016
I still regret why i didnt study law

I for dey make am for this Buhari era

cool

2 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by 9jatatafo(m): 2:16pm On Jul 22, 2016
Ok
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by samilaki: 2:20pm On Jul 22, 2016
A lion will always b a lion n a puppy will always b a puppy! Congrat 2 u sir. Bobo Daniel start 4 house assembly @lst or learn 4rm Young Alhaji!

4 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by Prince202020(m): 2:20pm On Jul 22, 2016
David Mark after this one no come again o, Me personally no go gree you win again.
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by Xflint(m): 2:21pm On Jul 22, 2016
izzou:
I still regret why i didnt study law

I for dey make am for this Buhari era

cool
u can still head back to school. Never too late

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by Princelegacylemoha(m): 2:22pm On Jul 22, 2016
Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by segzyj(m): 2:22pm On Jul 22, 2016
Its expected
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by izzou(m): 2:23pm On Jul 22, 2016
Xflint:

u can still head back to school. Never too late

Strike too much

Before i go graduate, maybe this opportunity must have disappeared

cool
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 22, 2016
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by Longevo(m): 2:30pm On Jul 22, 2016
CONGRATULATIONS MR. MARK

2 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by caRo1188: 2:33pm On Jul 22, 2016
we've heard
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 22, 2016
I don't know why kept having dreams of David Mark becoming the Senate President before the end of this year!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by ogwucheveekee(f): 2:50pm On Jul 22, 2016
David it is!david it should be again not the best but better than them..dude has tried enough for idoma.just one thing left by GODs grace and you have nailed it!
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 22, 2016
Congrats to David
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by bishopkay: 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2016
Oya make Onjeh go appeal to world court ni
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 22, 2016
Ok! it's now time to change the change.

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by passionate88: 3:38pm On Jul 22, 2016
Zombies won't like this

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by passionate88: 3:43pm On Jul 22, 2016

But, the counsel to Onjeh, Sunday Ayegba said: "we are not happy with the decision of the appeal panel but there is nothing we can do

meet the dullard na, he could threaten the justices
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by teebillz: 3:50pm On Jul 22, 2016
This APC Daniel Onjeh no dey taya?
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by emmabest2000(m): 3:55pm On Jul 22, 2016
Congratulations Mr Mark ....

Meanwhile ........

David Mark to all his haters grin

Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by eddyslim(m): 4:04pm On Jul 22, 2016
Congratulations Senator David Mark.
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by AKMoney1(m): 5:43pm On Jul 22, 2016
This man jazz dey work pass technology.... I hail the longest serving Nigerian politifian.. cheesy
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 22, 2016
David is David. He prove to ounje abi onje le pe oruko eh dat lion is still the king of the jungle
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jul 22, 2016
egbonnla:
I don't know why kept having dreams of David Mark becoming the Senate President before the end of this year!
you have nothing to worry about. I have no ambition of becoming the Senate president again. I gat bigger plans to salvage our dear nation so stop day dreaming.
Re: Appeal Court Upholds David Mark's Victory by Smitsam: 8:59pm On Jul 22, 2016
just after few days of meeting Buhari.... God is just watching

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Dismiss Claim Of Attack On Atiku’s Witnesses / Samon Akanni Oladiti: Governors, Politicians Hijacked NNPC’s ₦621Bn Road Fund / I Can't Believe This Is The Wike That Has Been Running Mouth Like Tap - Pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.