Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,118 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Shettima Alli Monguno: A Nigerian Worthy Of Emulation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shettima Alli Monguno: A Nigerian Worthy Of Emulation (523 Views)

President Buhari, Abba Kyari, Monguno At Juma'at (Photos) / Northern Governors Hold A Meeting With Buratai & NSA Monguno (Photos) / Soldiers Kill Three Female Suicide Bombers In Monguno (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Shettima Alli Monguno: A Nigerian Worthy Of Emulation by JBismarck(m): 8:31am On Jul 23, 2016
I saw this writeup on Facebook and have decided to give it maximum publicity within my limited capacity. Enjoy it with clear, objective mind.

SHETTIMA ALI MONGUNO (1926 - 8 July, 2016)
Alhaji Shettima Ali Monguno died on Friday in Maiduguri at the very ripe age of 90.
I know u want to know who he was.
Well he was a politician of 1st and 2nd Republic about whom I think many politicians today should learn. He was a man of , not just high but very high integrity.
In 1974, as Minister of Petroleum and Energy, Shettima wanted to build his personal house in Maiduguri. He applied to the bank for a loan of N40,000. The bank wanted a guarrantor. He approached his boss, General Yakubu Gowon, Head of State and Commander-in-Chief, for a letter to this effect. Gowon refused, saying that it would amount to abuse of office for him to allow him take a loan to build the house.
End of story.
Shettima mulled his options.
Julius Berger was already well established then. He approached them to build the house for him.
They agreed.
On one condition.
JB would build the house and then rent it out for the number of years it would take to recover the N40k.
Shettima agreed. That was how he built his bungalow in Maiduguri.
Wait a minute.
He was Minister of Petroleum Resources then.
He was President of Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, OPEC.
Yet he didn't have the resources to build a house!
He could only do it via a BOOT (Build, Own, Operate and Transfer) arrangement with JB.
Why can't we have such men in power today again?
The answer is known to you and I.
Meanwhile, adieu Shettima Ali Monguno!
May God Change Our Current Leaders' Mind to Goodness and judge our unrepentant corrupt leaders quickly!....... Nice weekend

Lalasticlala Seun Mynd44 Obinoscopy Mogidi please help give this illustrious Nigerian the publicity he deserves. Tenku.

(1) (Reply)

Why The Nnewi Model Can Transform Nigeria / Arms Deal Probe Controversy: Where The Truth Lies / Here Are Two Possible Outcomes Of The Division Within Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.