Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,644 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Institutionalized Religious Discrimination In Nigeria? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Institutionalized Religious Discrimination In Nigeria? (793 Views)

Satanic Temple Sues Twitter For ‘religious Discrimination’ / Discrimination In The Body Of Christ – Brainzcoded / My Collection Of Religious Memes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Institutionalized Religious Discrimination In Nigeria? by IdomaLikita: 1:16pm On Jul 24, 2016
something happened to me last week that got me thinking about the so-called Secularity of the Nigerian State. I visited a Public Hospital to check my IOP, and while providing my Biodata to the RecordsOofficer to fill out in my folder, he got to the Column for Religion and asked if i was a muslim or christian and I jokingly told him 'none of the above'. He got offended and asked me not to waste his time, at that point I decided to take it further by telling him i was a traditionalist. To my surprise, He told me blankly that He would not fill that on the form,that i must choose between Islam or Christianity. Other people on the queue joined him to rain insults on me that i was wasting their time. i reluctantly told him to write whatever he feels like and he 'gave me' Christianity.
when i went home that day, i couldnt help thinking. Does it mean i cannot be a Hindu, Buddhist or Freethinker in Nigeria and be recognized by State? Why do most Govt Biodata forms (Exam Portals,Employment Portals, Passport, etc) mandate me to choose between the two religions?
Are we truly secular or pretending to be? Is this not an overt form of religious discrimination?

2 Likes

Re: Institutionalized Religious Discrimination In Nigeria? by Tournel(m): 5:17am On Nov 13, 2017
As a non-religious person, I have that problem. Luckily, Immigration documents have column for "Other"
Re: Institutionalized Religious Discrimination In Nigeria? by 0temAtum: 6:14am On Nov 13, 2017
Na wa o.
Re: Institutionalized Religious Discrimination In Nigeria? by dalaman: 6:34am On Nov 13, 2017
And some people here will be telling us that there is no religious discrimination in Nigeria against the non religious people.

If a traditionalist can be openly discriminated( something that happens a lot of the time) upon what more of an atheist, agnostic or irreligious person?

2 Likes

Re: Institutionalized Religious Discrimination In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:07am On Nov 13, 2017
Op,you are correct..traditionalists and people of other faiths in Nigeria are actually marginalised..everything about Nigeria being a secular state is all a Facade.
This is why Christains get public holidays for their festivals,Muslims gets same but the Traditionalists dont.

Christains (& muslims) are quick to say "Love your neighbour as yourself" but From what I see happening in Nigeria,they hate their neighbour.
You need to hear what the church behind my house preaches against traditionalists,calling them evil,candidates of 'hell' and whatnot. So much for being peace-loving

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is Masturbation A Sin / Girl Reveals True Story Behind Apostle Suleiman's Sex Scandal / Ambode Sacks Chaplain For Disrespecting Wife:Priest,Family Thrown Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.