Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,004 members, 7,835,408 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? (22503 Views)

Under-30 Nigerian Lady Bags A Ph.d In Nuclear Physics (photos) / UNIZIK Lecturer Gets Refrigerator From His Final Year Project Students / Professor's Wife Bags Ph.d In Mathematics, Son Bags Degree In Engineering. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by teacherbim(f): 11:06am On Jul 25, 2016
Why is S not pronounce in Island?kweshion

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by unite4real: 11:06am On Jul 25, 2016
Ask the Queen
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by Dottore: 11:07am On Jul 25, 2016
Patience Jonathan must know the answer
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by Kellzmann01(m): 11:08am On Jul 25, 2016
let me think
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by TUMIC(m): 11:09am On Jul 25, 2016
WHY IS THERE MAN INSIDE WOMAN, SINCE MAN WAS FIRST CREATED. AND WOMAN WAS CREATED FROM MAN OR WOMAN WAS FIRST CREATED AND THEN GAVE BIRTH TO MAN...
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by FunmyKemmy(f): 11:09am On Jul 25, 2016
Me sef dey wonder o.
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by hibykhay: 11:09am On Jul 25, 2016
D same tin dt made 'O' to disappear in pronunciation bt'O' is present in pronounce..... English is kinda complicated....#mythought

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by Jdesilentkiller(m): 11:10am On Jul 25, 2016
That's what happens if you take your mother's tongue to interpret English language.
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by Nobody: 11:11am On Jul 25, 2016
What happens is this: when you shorten "refrigerator" to the one-syllable "fridge" you move the "g" from the beginning of a syllable (re-fri-ger...) to the END of one.

In English, g is often "soft" (sounding like "j"wink at the beginning of a syllable, before e, i or y (germ, "giraffe, gyrate).

But at the END of a syllable/word it doesn't quite work that way. G all by itself at the end is always treated as "hard" --as in rig, bag...

OR when you DO find a "soft g" sound closing a word it is followed by e, AND the preceding vowel is LONG. For example: age, page, etc.

So, by English spelling conventions, "frig" would rhyme with "rig" and "frige" would rhyme with "OBLIGE"

The way English usually solves this problem -- when there is a g at the end of a syllable/word after a SHORT vowel, you write in the "d" --to represent a sound which is already actually part of the 'soft g sound'. There are many examples of this: badge, ridge, ledge, lodge, budge

(If the adding of a D seems odd, notice that j/soft g is actually not one sound, but a combination of two: d + 'zh'; a related sound, only not using the voice is the combination t + sh, which we commonly represent with "ch". 'zh', if it looks odd, is simply the "voiced" version of "sh". It is the sound made by the Z in "azure"wink

Actually, I believe the REAL problem here stems from the different ORIGINS of two sets of words. The words ending with "-dge" are generally of Old English lineage, whereas the final (-ge) are from Latin, mostly through French. So although "refrigerator" comes from a Latin word, "fridge" accomodates itself to the common pattern used for the 'original English' forms.

Kindly visit site www.LifeDrama.com.ng

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by seunny4lif(m): 11:11am On Jul 25, 2016
grin grin grin
You worst oooooh cheesy
CACAWA:
[size=18pt]simple question.

Fridge was a English sentence made from a before language which were not yet confirmed as talking thing before Lord Luggard comes to send mungo-park to check where River Niger starts.

Are you getting my point now bros?
You can phoning me for better explanations I don't like to blowing big grammar inside the Internet.

[/size]
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by davibid: 11:11am On Jul 25, 2016
Ask refrigerator where it kept its own 'D'

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by seunny4lif(m): 11:11am On Jul 25, 2016
shocked
I no understand of you ooooooh grin cheesy
CollinsWeGlobe:
What happens is this: when you shorten "refrigerator" to the one-syllable "fridge" you move the "g" from the beginning of a syllable (re-fri-ger...) to the END of one.

In English, g is often "soft" (sounding like "j"wink at the beginning of a syllable, before e, i or y (germ, "giraffe, gyrate).

But at the END of a syllable/word it doesn't quite work that way. G all by itself at the end is always treated as "hard" --as in rig, bag...

OR when you DO find a "soft g" sound closing a word it is followed by e, AND the preceding vowel is LONG. For example: age, page, etc.

So, by English spelling conventions, "frig" would rhyme with "rig" and "frige" would rhyme with "OBLIGE"

The way English usually solves this problem -- when there is a g at the end of a syllable/word after a SHORT vowel, you write in the "d" --to represent a sound which is already actually part of the 'soft g sound'. There are many examples of this: badge, ridge, ledge, lodge, budge

(If the adding of a D seems odd, notice that j/soft g is actually not one sound, but a combination of two: d + 'zh'; a related sound, only not using the voice is the combination t + sh, which we commonly represent with "ch". 'zh', if it looks odd, is simply the "voiced" version of "sh". It is the sound made by the Z in "azure"wink

Actually, I believe the REAL problem here stems from the different ORIGINS of two sets of words. The words ending with "-dge" are generally of Old English lineage, whereas the final (-ge) are from Latin, mostly through French. So although "refrigerator" comes from a Latin word, "fridge" accomodates itself to the common pattern used for the 'original English' forms.

Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 25, 2016
If you feel is not important to you, you can remove it when writing sentence related to it.

To me is not an issue.

Study of phonetics explain why ok, if d is not included it simply mean another thing.
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by Anthony496(m): 11:13am On Jul 25, 2016
cheesy :DFridge is. Singular while refrigerator is plural lol
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by Samakus(m): 11:17am On Jul 25, 2016
gurunlocker:
This is on FP? I blame the economy.... it is even affecting nairaland threads

If a youth like you could grumble about an intellectual discourse as this (where you can learn and improve intellectually) making fp, then, I lose hope in Nigeria.

Two things are permissible here. Either that you're among the sickening number of our 'end time' young persons on NL that are eternally excited at seeing sagged mammary glands of our Godforsaken celebrities or you're grand praise singer of Lalasticlala's unending affection for snakes, hence, its continued appearance on fp.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by stchinedu: 11:19am On Jul 25, 2016
Lemme ask Google...

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by Slickest(m): 11:21am On Jul 25, 2016
The "grin" is a clue to a hidden treasure...

Did u ever ask urslf why "ANGER" and "DANGER" are not pronounced the same way? Its this same D.

U think D'banj just chose a name for himslf, its the D factor, he found the treasure. U think GOD chose D to complete his 3 letter name out of 26 letters?
What is this worl"grin" without a D...infact what is nairalan"grin" without a D?
Ur nobo"grin"y without a D.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by stchinedu: 11:23am On Jul 25, 2016
Samakus:

If a youth like you could grumble about an intellectual discourse as this (where you can learn and improve intellectually) making fp, then, I lose hope in Nigeria.

Two things are permissible here. Either that you're among the sickening number of our 'end time' young persons on NL that are eternally excited at seeing sagged mammary glands of our Godforsaken celebrities or you're grand praise singer of Lalasticlala's unending affection for snakes, hence, its continued appearance on fp.

Epic!
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by gurunlocker: 11:24am On Jul 25, 2016
Samakus:

From your post, I am certain you are foolish.... WTF! does my post in any way sound to you as something serious? you don't have sense of humor? If you don't know a joke post, just bypass.... Check my posts here, if you see anything related to what you quoted up there.... I've seen this kind of topic in form of pictures here before and I learned.... Don't just quote people if you have nothing reasonable to say....

Lastly, not everyone you meet here can be referred to as "young person", OK? Get that into your stinking brain....

This is Monday, get something doing....
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by Nobody: 11:26am On Jul 25, 2016
CACAWA:
[size=18pt]simple question.

Fridge was a English sentence made from a before language which were not yet confirmed as talking thing before Lord Luggard comes to send mungo-park to check where River Niger starts.

Are you getting my point now bros?
You can phoning me for better explanations I don't like to blowing big grammar inside the Internet.

[/size]
At first I serious with your comments, lol....u just dey make me laff
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 25, 2016
Never notice that sha
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 25, 2016
dandydrey:
Why is there a "d" in "fridge", but not in
"refrigerator" or "refrigerate"?

Pls does anyone have an idea

Why W is double "U", despite the fact that we all know is double "V" (VV) ?
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by NovusHomo(m): 11:30am On Jul 25, 2016
laideh:

Why W is double "U", despite the fact that we all know is double "V" (VV) ?

Actually, it is pronounced "double v" in the french language.
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by Dbrainiac1(m): 11:33am On Jul 25, 2016
dandydrey:

Dumbest question of the week
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by owale51(m): 11:34am On Jul 25, 2016
Fridge is a complete sentence y refrigerator means to keep smtin cold inside fridge hahahahah lololol oyinbo no go kill us
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by Emyogalanya: 11:36am On Jul 25, 2016
Well don't have time to go into but that should be cos fridge is a noun refrigeration refrigerate are verbs and refrigerator is pronoun as in our local earthenware pots and sand fridge qualify as ref... Tors. And if u know that refrigerate means to remove or take away heat from any matter fridge itself is drived from the word freeze. So simply put a fringe (noun) is an instrument that freezes any matter. Pls note that English words (derivatives) usually change form and spellins as the meaning changes. For more informations : go back to school
dandydrey:

Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by henrixx(m): 11:36am On Jul 25, 2016
If e no dey make you put am na
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by martineverest(m): 11:37am On Jul 25, 2016
.....its called 'clipping' in english.......this particular clipping is quite different.its as a result of combination of old english and latin
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by davit: 11:37am On Jul 25, 2016
In multi-syllable words, vowels at the end of a syllable can say either their short or long sound, and you have to know the real word in order to know how to pronounce it. In the case of refrigerator, broken up like this: re/fri/ger/a/tor, the i is "open," and it's supposed to be pronounced short.

I guess people got bored of saying five-syllables when talking about an appliance, so they started referring to it with the "fridge" sound, and then they had to figure out how to spell it.

If you look at the "fridge" part of refrigerator, it's spelled frige. It doesn't look like the sound "fridge," right?

Now that it's a single-syllable word, the i isn't open anymore and its controlled by the e. That e is only a letter away from the i, which make the i sound long like it is in "bike" or "ice." But if you get rid of the e, now you have "frig," with a hard g. So we need to hang on to the e to keep that j sound.

If you put in a silent d, then it keeps the e from controlling the i, and now the i has the same short sound that matches the word refrigerator.

The "blocker d" is pretty common, and it's doing a similar function in words like fudge and grudge and bridge.

(That being said, these "rules" don't work for all spellings. I suspect people were consciously trying to spell fridge to "look right," as opposed to the thousands of words in English whose spellings follow strange and bizarre rules we barely remember. Like "vestige" totally works against the rules I just gave. That's English for you.)

Check www.languageclinic.webnode.com for more.
Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by pmadise(m): 11:37am On Jul 25, 2016
Fridge is a brand of refrigerator in those days just like we have Samsung, LG, Whirlpool, Thermocool, etc now. They are one of the 1st brands to manufacture a refrigerator. They made the product very popular.

So calling every refrigerator fridge is like calling every SUV Jeep or all needles indomie...etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A "D" In "Fridge", But Not In "Refrigerator" Or "Refrigerate"? by babyfaceafrica: 11:42am On Jul 25, 2016
CollinsWeGlobe:

I was following you because you were making sense,but you didn't provide answer to the question?...why are Nigerians like this?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

4 Uniabuja Students Killed In Auto Crash (photo) / Yoruba Cultural Day In My School(pictures) / More On Kim Ung- Yong, The Man Who Scored Highest Ever On An IQ Test As A Child.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.