Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,609 members, 7,820,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters (994 Views)

UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY : THE GENOCIDAL MILITARY DICTATOR BUHARI – Bruce Fein / Buhari Receives Winners Of 2016 Nigerian National Merit Award (Photos) / Recession: 3 Nigerian National Assets Buhari Must Not Sell- RMAFC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters by Adekorya: 4:55pm On Jul 25, 2016
It is a disturbing irony that Nigerian lawmakers, besides their knack for sponsoring anti-people bills, have gained considerable notoriety for lawless conduct and outright rascality. This conduct, which has attracted untold opprobrium and significantly bastardized the Nigerian identity, is a skewed image of responsible lawmakers.

But whatever the kind of garment we may choose to robe them in, they remain the product of a shameful people with no self-worth - they are the product of our own doing! This is why questions such as: 'how on earth did Dino Melaye become a Nigerian lawmaker?' represent the most dim-witted question(s) any Nigerian should be heard asking, at a time when the most unscrupulous political candidate can secure the vote of a Nigerian with only the mere flash of ill-gotten Naira notes (the 's' in 'notes' is employed only for the sake of dignity). The Nigerian electorate is so vulnerable, ignorant and desperate that these Machiavellian ploys by the oppressors succeed with no one raising the crucial question of credibility and probity.

These are the nauseous circumstances under which Mr. Dino Melaye got ushered into what was supposed to be one of the most hallowed houses in the land, and which has given him the 'senator' appellation. Sadly, very sadly indeed, it is a grievous situation that is bound to stay with us for a long time. At the height of Dino Melaye's recent scandal, I was privileged to have perused and heard a plethora of critical reactions, but it is my personal opinion to assert that we are without the moral competence to question Mr Dino Melaye's deleterious conduct. The rationale for this is not unfathomable. If, for instance, fresh elections were held today, Nigerians will throng to the polls and re-produce a mass of Dino Melayes and Bukola Sarakis. That is the tragedy of our nation, from which our political and social retrogression stem. It is like cladding a mad man in ceremonial robes and expect him to admire his new looks for the simple fact that he has spent years roaming the streets ungarbed.

That said, Dino Melaye is not alone in this show of infamy. Misconduct has tragically become synonymous with Nigerian 'lawmakers' (or should it be lawbreakers?), and a whole people have had to put up with the ignominy created by a group of people whose conduct should be the archetype of excellence in the Nigerian life. Obviously, moral excellence in this respect is totally out of the question as we have seen them create discreditable scenes on countless occasions.

In the recent past, and precisely in July of 2013, the Rivers State House of Assembly hugged the limelight when members of the House staged what was completely an eyesore - an eyesore that naturally debased the Nigerian character. A similar occurrence manifested on the floor of the National Assembly in June of 2015. During these grotesque occurrences, there were flying punches, flying chairs, missing or broken maces, hospitalized people, to say the least. But the grandest of them all came on the 20th day of November, 2014 when our 'distinguished' lawmakers were caught on cameras throughout the world whilst scaling the fence of the National Assembly complex, on the day security operatives locked the entrance of the complex in a move that was politically driven. That day remains indelibly gloomy in the political history of Nigeria - a day created by indiscipline, nurtured by impunity and embraced by docility.

At this stage, it is not clear if these ruinous acts by the nation's 'lawmakers', which are tantamount to hooliganism, have in a little way spared the sanctity of the Nigerian state. Indeed, there is bound to be wholesale anarchy when the man who enacts laws is the first to pick up a sledgehammer to smite the same laws he enacts.

At school, we were taught about the importance of history in the life of any nation or individual, and how history shapes present events. It follows therefore, quite naturally, that Dino Melaye and Company are good students who astutely studied the history of the Nigerian Senate. In their study, Melaye and his unruly colleagues have learnt, indefectibly too, that anyone who aspires being a ,member of the House must indeed embody misconduct, ,lawlessness, grand scale corruption, hooliganism, and so on and so forth.

That the Nigerian state is presently battling a dire ailment is clearly not a mendacious claim. It desperately needs a leader(s) whose desire to serve is honest and reassuring to stir the nation to a safe destination. If this is not done, Nigeria will remain a big joke in the hands of these clowns.

Elias Ozikpu is a playwright, novelist, essayist, polemicist and a thinker. He is a restless African

http://saharareporters.com/2016/07/25/nigerian-national-assembly-madhouse-nation-elias-ozikpu

Re: Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters by sarrki(m): 4:56pm On Jul 25, 2016
Chai Chai Sahara reporters you call our hallowed chambers MAD house ?

I believe in freedom of speech and investigative journalism but I think there should be a boundary
Sahara reporters have not reported any GOOD thing about Nigeria ever.
Re: Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters by goodgood2(m): 5:00pm On Jul 25, 2016
There is no difference between Nigeria National Assembly and a psychiatric home.

BTW, if Ireneony turns down my advances, I'd beat her and impregnate her, and nothing will happen.
Re: Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters by maxman01: 5:13pm On Jul 25, 2016
Lol
Re: Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters by quinnboy: 5:25pm On Jul 25, 2016
Misleading headline...... nice piece but emphasis was on Dino, the act of few does not define the act of all.
Re: Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters by Adekorya: 5:32pm On Jul 25, 2016
sarrki:

I believe in freedom of speech and investigative journalism but I think there should be a boundary

Is it not mad house?

A house where the development and eradication of corruption in Nigeria is bn hidererd.

A house where the leaders paded budget for their personal gain and their pocket enrichment.
Re: Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jul 25, 2016
CORRECTION

The whole of Nigeria is a madhouse, with the president as the crazy in chief
Re: Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters by Sealeddeal(m): 5:52pm On Jul 25, 2016
I didn't care to read all the garbages put up there by the Sahara reporters. It is clear that SW media house, which used to, eulogize Dino Melaya for protesting against Ngozi Iweala, is now against him for protesting the bad conducts of Remi Tinubu.
Unfortunately, Dino is a cat with nine lives. SW media doesn't work in kogi.
Re: Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters by sarrki(m): 5:58pm On Jul 25, 2016
Sealeddeal:
I didn't care to read all the garbages put up there by the Sahara reporters. It is clear that SW media house, which used to, eulogize Dino Melaya for protesting against Ngozi Iweala, is now against him for protesting the bad conducts of Remi Tinubu.
Unfortunately, Dino is a cat with nine lives. SW media doesn't work in kogi.

" I didn't care to read all garbageset put up there by Sahara reporters. It is clear that SW media house"

If you didn't read it how were you able to comment ?
That's how your HERO melaye talk without Thinking
Re: Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 25, 2016
sarrki:

It's actually worse than a mad house. It's a massive waste of scarce resources.
Re: Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters by Almaiga: 6:06pm On Jul 25, 2016
What do you expect from the woman beater, groundnut seller, Garri drinker...........

Re: Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters by Achuwa1(m): 6:08pm On Jul 25, 2016
saharareporters just trying to protect their paymasters wife.
its a pity that they are mobile & have no office in Nigeria,until they have a functional office in Nigeria then i will take them serious.
Re: Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters by youngeagle(m): 6:33pm On Jul 25, 2016
So sad we still spend huge amount from hard working Nigerians tax to feed these rascals.
Re: Nigerian National Assembly: The Madhouse Of A Nation- Sahara Repoters by yhemsy62(m): 6:49pm On Jul 25, 2016
sarrki:

Pls tell me about the good thing to tell about this country

(1) (Reply)

The Hausa And Forex. / Obama Flew Over Nigeria To See How Far With The Promised Change (funny Pics) / President Buhari’s Driver Sa’idu Afaka, Returns Missing Money To Saudi Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.