Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist (17515 Views)

10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist / SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by ExAngel007(f): 4:24pm On Jul 26, 2016
Many people speak English as their first
language. It is one of the most commonly
spoken languages in the world.

Nigerians are very good at a number of things and one of them is inventing their own version of English which has become popular overtime.

Some of the words and phrase we use often
cannot be found in the dictionary. Some are
words you picked up from others and they
have become quite a norm. It is not only the uneducated folks that are guilty of using these wrong words as the very educated Nigerians also use the Englishlanguage inappropriately.

Below are words Nigerians use that doesn’t
exist in the English dictionary.

1. Go-slow: When Nigerians say go-slow, they mean congested traffic, which is wrong. The meaning of go-slow in the English dictionary is, a form of industrial action in which work or progress is deliberately delayed or slowed
down.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt3af54d01a3ng.f08f2dfd.jpg[/img]

2. Disvirgin: This word is used on a daily basis by many Nigerians when they intend to say a woman has lost her virginity. There is no word like disvirgin. The correct word to use is deflower. Disvirgin simply does not exist.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt3nukr616n7jg.549b6fc7.jpg[/img]

3. Trafigate: Nigerians use the word to describe a situation where a driver indicates to other drivers that he/she wants to take a turn. It is used so often, that it has started to sound like proper English.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt316hbror9k2g.90555ee0.jpg[/img]

4. Flashing: Every Nigerian knows “flashing” to mean when someone calls your mobile phone and cuts off before you answer. The word ‘flash’ is so common among Nigerians and its used at least once daily by many. Flash has different meanings but none has anything to do with a phone call. The word doesn’t exist in that sense in English.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt4qpjt7r8tel.fd0cba3b.jpg[/img]

5. Installmentally: Don’t be tempted to use the word ‘installmentally’. Though it soundscorrect, it isn’t. There is no such word in the English dictionary as it only exists only in the Nigerian edition of English language. The correct thing to say is ‘in installments’.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt3a95n7uplv2.71bb3a04.jpg[/img]

6. Opportuned: What exists in English dictionaries is ‘opportune,’ without ‘d’ at the
end. Opportune means ‘timely’ or ‘well-time,
especially convenient or appropriate for a
particular action or event. Opportuned is only
common in Nigerian English.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt6hkdetjaaof.e7b4f9ef.jpg[/img]

7. Cunny: This is a word which Nigerians use to describe someone that is being deceitful or crafty. The right word is cunning not cunny.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkytprt7m9c7qrs.2a47ec57.jpg[/img]

8. Next tomorrow: Most Nigerians generally use “next tomorrow” but there is not suchword as next tomorrow. Instead you should say, “a day after tomorrow”.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt61qd0cjokv2.d5b60a03.jpg[/img]

9. Packer: Nigerians probably got the word from pack. The right word is dustpan. Sincedustpan packs dirt, Nigerians like to call it packer.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt6chklkiap4f.6174b542.jpg[/img]

10. Pepperish: It is common to hear Nigerians describe a meal that has too much pepper in it as pepperish. The proper word should be ‘peppery’. No native English speaker uses the word pepperish” to describe the burning sensation we feel from eating pepper.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt1vbvbsjj0ug8.906786d7.jpg[/img]

https://www.naij.com/904625-guilty-10-common-words-nigerians-use-daily-show-cant-speak-english.html?source=index_latest

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by Jascon4: 4:29pm On Jul 26, 2016
Splendid re-orientation.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by MadCow1: 4:31pm On Jul 26, 2016
Shebi

nko.

[size=1pt]Lalasticlala........................................................................[/size]

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by jaybee3(m): 4:38pm On Jul 26, 2016
Are you an Ijesha man? They use trafficate not traffigate even though the correct term is Indicate

4 Likes

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by eleojo23: 4:40pm On Jul 26, 2016
Well, they now exist in Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by Chicagoesontop: 4:49pm On Jul 26, 2016
Nice One, Op More Grease To Your Elbow Just Because Of This Very Matured Thread !! Oya Mods Do Your Job, Front Page Things On My Mind !!
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by VampireeM(f): 4:52pm On Jul 26, 2016
[Packer is Packer! No time for Dustpan tautologycheesycheesycheesy

9 Likes

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by AJ01(m): 5:20pm On Jul 26, 2016
Oook we don hear. undecided
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by MetroBoomin: 5:23pm On Jul 26, 2016
Noted.
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by boman2014: 5:35pm On Jul 26, 2016
good one dear
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by kellz0(m): 5:47pm On Jul 26, 2016
even after reading this, i will still be using those words

7 Likes

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by Sirmuel1(m): 5:59pm On Jul 26, 2016
Flash....
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by InfinixMine: 6:04pm On Jul 26, 2016
Installmently... Op thank you!

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by goldeno10boy: 6:08pm On Jul 26, 2016
Well this is Nigeria and we use Nig-Eng dictionary.
Can you imagine telling a market woman you want to by "dustpan"

grin cheesy grin

5 Likes

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by shagking: 6:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
3. Trafigate: Nigerians use the word to describe a situation where a driver indicates to other drivers that he/she wants to take a turn. It is used so often, that it has started to sound like proper English.

Definition of Trafficate. To indicate with your Trafficator which direction you intend to go.
Definition of Trafficate | New Word Suggestion | Collins Dictionary
www.collinsdictionary.com/submission/11319/Trafficate

Please explain the above.

8 Likes

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by tempem: 6:12pm On Jul 26, 2016
The next tomorrow own no be here oh.
Others are:
Abi wink
Shebi cheesy
You nko? grin
I sha must go. grin

4 Likes

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by dharmieex: 6:12pm On Jul 26, 2016
leant something today again....Thanks Op
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by hardbody: 6:41pm On Jul 26, 2016
Those words are used for fun, it's not like anyone claims that they are queen's English. Abeg free we.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by Kassidy90(m): 6:45pm On Jul 26, 2016
Thanks Op but can't we invent some English words in Nigeria, must everything be imported I support made in Nigeria stuff even 9ja made grammar.. grin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by haconjy(m): 6:49pm On Jul 26, 2016
forget about existence, its understanding that matters...
is pounded yam, yam flower, beans cake, etc in dictionary? so far u know can interpret the words then u r good to go

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by haconjy(m): 6:51pm On Jul 26, 2016
forget about existence, its understanding that matters...
is pounded yam, yam flower, beans cake, etc in dictionary? so far u know can interpret the words then u r good to go....
lastly, we have Britain English, America English, even south Africa English, so these are Nigeria English. take it or leave it...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by Adesiji77: 7:01pm On Jul 26, 2016
hardbody:
Those words are used for fun, it's not like anyone claims that they are queen's English. Abeg free we.

cheesy
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by bentlywills(m): 7:19pm On Jul 26, 2016
Trafficate is right biko

Definition of Trafficate. To indicate with your Trafficator which direction you intend to go.
Definition of Trafficate | New Word Suggestion | Collins Dictionary
www​.collinsdictionary.com/.../Trafficate

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by Large32(m): 7:46pm On Jul 26, 2016
Opsss gud one yhu got dia. Buh we still luv Nija English

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by Aremu01(m): 7:51pm On Jul 26, 2016
Wow Nice
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by danduchi(m): 7:51pm On Jul 26, 2016
Thanks OP for the knowledge... Surprised with Disvirgin, Cunny, and opportuned. Thanks again

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by Uyi168: 8:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
Bristish:shorts American:knicker Nigerian:short knicker

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by Feanah(f): 8:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
Thank you,we need these kind of posts

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by Uyi168: 8:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
Bristish:shorts American:knicker Nigerian:short knicker

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by patwhizkid(f): 8:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
Thanks OP... I will reward you installmentally wink

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by veekid(m): 8:32pm On Jul 26, 2016
OP what's the correct word for flashing?
Re: 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist by OgaSirAde(m): 8:33pm On Jul 26, 2016
Interesting...just that in Nigeria everything goes. Even in essays and letters wrong words are mostly used. God help us

(1) (2)

Tukur Buratai: Ebonyi State University Names Institute After General / LASU VC, MOCPED Provost Locked Out As Unions Begin Strike In Lagos / How I Broke Family Tradition With First-class Degree – Toyinbo Hezekiah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.