Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,486 members, 7,816,150 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) (16562 Views)

Poll: Who Nicks This?

Man Utd: 53% (22 votes)
Man City: 36% (15 votes)
Draw: 9% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Tottenham Hotspur Vs Manchester City (4 - 1) On 26th September 2015 / Manchester United Vs Manchester City (4 - 2) On 12th April 2015 / Manchester United Vs Newcastle (4 - 3) On 26th December 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by BinghiNya(m): 3:18pm On Sep 22, 2009
ben foster will never be England's number one keeper. He will end up like the other thrash keepers that passed thru united a la taibi. He made man city come back into the game. A team like barca would have routed United in that first half after the equalizer.

Amos should be given a chance
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by Sauron1: 3:25pm On Sep 22, 2009
BinghiNya:

Amos should be given a chance

KitKat!!!!
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by Mervin: 8:41pm On Sep 22, 2009
not very impressed with man u & man city game. its as if the ref waited for that owen goal b4 he cud blow the whistle.as a liverpool fan i was disapointed but happy to c so much of weakness with utd. they are ordinary with a lot of luck. man city must pick themselves up and kno that they were hea to head with a top team but weere gallnat losers.
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by Arctic(m): 9:41pm On Sep 22, 2009
Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2009/09/ferguson_revels_in_classic_win.html

Sir Alex Ferguson - in an attempt to put the club he disregards as "noisy neighbours" in their place - claims he counts Manchester United's confrontation with Liverpool as the real local derby as opposed to the domestic squabble with Manchester City.

Ferguson's words were just one more swipe in a week liberally sprinkled with barbs slung from both sides of Manchester in the preamble to a 96-minute Old Trafford classic. And when horse racing fan Michael Owen won this particular derby the old streetfighter gave the game away.

Amid wild scenes of chaos, joy and despair, Ferguson turned the clock back to 10 April 1993 when a Steve Bruce goal against Sheffield Wednesday effectively won the Scot his first Premier League title.

As Owen's goal hit the back of the net and Manchester City manager Mark Hughes attempted to decipher the logic of a winner being scored six minutes into four minutes of stoppage time, Ferguson was almost lost in ecstasy.

Sir Alex Ferguson bounces with delight after seeing Michael Owen secure Manchester United's last-gasp victory

He charged around on the touchline, like a dancer who has taken to the floor without musical accompaniment, jigging with players and staff - while also considerately sparing a thought for the stricken City fans with an emphatic and defiant double-clenched fist salute in their direction.

So if this really is the game he rates below beating Liverpool, then he was either indulging in a very obvious wind-up or stand well clear next time United turn over Rafael Benitez's side. Appearances made it look like one of the sweetest victories of his career.

Despite apparently playing down the signficance of the fixture, this meant a lot to Ferguson. He wanted victory so badly to remind City where the power lies in Manchester and when he got it was happy to show his delight to the world.

It was tumultuous end to a derby - a real derby - that deserves every superlative that will be heaped upon it as well as maybe a few expletives from Ferguson and Hughes provoked by shambolic defending.

Ferguson's explosion of elation was a testimony to the fire that rages inside whenever he sees a threat to Manchester United's domination and also a tribute to Manchester City who, despite what he may say, he can definitely see in his rear view mirror.

Hughes kept his composure in the aftermath of a contentious conclusion but issued ominous words of warning to all, especially Ferguson, when he said: "We're not going away any time soon. We are around for a long time. I can assure everyone of that. We have got the means, resources and will to be better in the future and that is what we are going to do."

And you believed him. Every word.

Hughes' main bone of contention was how fourth official Alan Wiley's board went up for four minutes of stoppages and United struck well into the sixth. The explanation was the length of time City spent celebrating their third equaliser, plus a substitution - but it was not one that satisfied Hughes.

The timings have since proved to be borderline but remember four minutes was a "minimum" and it should not be ignored that the time was added on for City as well as United. Their respective priorities in those extra minutes, however, were different.

So often a game that has been preceded by hype and harsh words is followed by a damp squib. Not a bit of it here - this outstripped the hype by a distance and will never be forgotten by anyone lucky enough to witness it, for good and bad.

I was fortunate enough to cover Liverpool's 4-3 win against Newcastle United in April 1996 in a previous existence. It is a game offered up as a prime example of the best the Premier League has to offer. You can now put Old Trafford in September 2009 snugly alongside it.

Take the scenes after Owen's expertly taken finish. United's players and fans barely able to contain themselves, Gary Neville running down the touchline with more than an eye on City's supporters, City's players slumped in agony. Craig Bellamy appearing to cuff an idiotic pitch invader, Ferguson doing a brisk march to the tunnel after a brief handshake with Hughes and Hughes almost punching the face off his watch in fury at the amount of added time.

This was a game were sub-plots could be uncovered everywhere, even before kick-off.

There was Carlos Tevez's return to Old Trafford after being paraded as City's new poster boy in a very obvious challenge to United's domination. There was City's new wealth that allows them to rival, and even eclipse, United in the transfer market. There was City boss Hughes' very public declaration of his club's plan to knock United "off their perch" - an ironic echo of Ferguson's own stated intentions towards Liverpool at the start of his Old Trafford reign.

It was all there. We just needed the match - and we got it. "The best derby of all time" announced a euphoric Ferguson, forgetting momentarily that his real derby was meant to be against Liverpool.

As for the match itself - where do you start? A good place is with the simple truth that United fully deserved to win, despite a performance from City that once again suggested they will be a danger to the best this season.

Indeed, for a spell after Gareth Barry cancelled out Wayne Rooney's early strike, City were the more accomplished side and Tevez's dreadful miss when he hit the post in front of an open goal seconds before half-time was pivotal.

In the second half, City were penned in and pummelled by United, inspired by a magical performance from Ryan Giggs. The years fell like scales from Giggs as he was behind every United attack - creating three goals and almost scoring a couple himself.

If we were tempted to start writing the obituaries on a wonderful career, we can put the pen and paper away for a very long time on this compelling evidence. Giggs was the best player on the pitch.

Darren Fletcher and Bellamy exchanged goals of varying degrees of quality before Owen made the defining contribution with the sort of finish that might just open an old England argument if he maintains his fitness.

The pass from Giggs was perfect but Owen's first touch and clinical dispatch showed again that there is still ice in his veins when presented with a crucial chance, even amid the near hysteria that had descended on Old Trafford when he took the ball in his stride at the Stretford End.

Ferguson's description of Owen as "world class" took on greater resonance when his ruthless strike was set alongside Tevez's botch of an easier opportunity.

For Owen, it was a moment of sweet relief, a moment when Cristiano Ronaldo's one-time number seven shirt finally looked a comfortable fit. The hitherto fragile bond between Owen and the United fans who still picture him in the red of Liverpool was sealed.

United's victory must not blind Ferguson to genuine concerns for him and England coach Fabio Capello in a World Cup season.

It is almost the accepted wisdom that Ben Foster is a regular England goalkeeper of the future. He is not - or at least he should not be in his current condition.

Foster had already almost been caught in possession by the time he gifted possession to Tevez for Barry's goal. And his positioning when Bellamy scored City's third goal was miserable, allowing the striker to beat him with ease at his near post.

And then we come to Rio Ferdinand. Struggling for form and fitness - how grateful he should be for Owen's intervention after he was at fault, along with Foster, for that Bellamy goal.

Only he will know what possessed him when he attempted an arrogant (not to mention utterly hopeless) flick over Martin Petrov in the build-up. Ferguson was a picture on the touchline, throwing his hands to his head in a toxic mixture of utter disbelief and rage even before Bellamy then outpaced a labouring Ferdinand to complete the formalities.

You could almost see Ferguson's infamous 'hairdryer' pointing in Ferdinand's direction, especially as he had spent the previous 10 minutes stalking the technical area issuing the clear message not to throw away the three points he thought Fletcher's second goal had given United.

Owen bailed out Ferdinand - and in doing so reminded Hughes and City of work still to be done, especially in defence.

The £40m central defensive partnership of Joleon Lescott and Kolo Toure failed to cope with a second-half bombardment that brought the best out of Shay Given, while Hughes could have expected better than the late panic stations that constantly presented possession back to United.

City will point to absentees Robinho and Emmanuel Adebayor but the failings that pulled the rug from under them were at the other end of the field. City's ambitions will be thwarted until they are solved.

The flaws of both sides only added to the excitement of a thrilling spectacle, as is often the case. And it emphasises the resilience at the heart of United that they have seen off Tottenham and Manchester City, two clubs planning to barge into the top four, even while looking a weaker side than they were last season.

United certainly showed that it will take even more of the Abu Dhabi riches, and certainly more than the odd provocative poster and some well-chosen words, for City to knock them off their perch but they are capable of least giving them a good shove.

And if this was a fight between newly arrived noisy neighbours and the long-time residents at the top end of Premier League territory, then this is an argument that could captivate us all for years to come.
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by presido1: 10:24pm On Sep 22, 2009
Mervin:

not very impressed with man u & man city game. its as if the ref waited for that owen goal b4 he cud blow the whistle.as a liverpool fan i was disapointed but happy to c so much of weakness with utd. they are ordinary with a lot of luck. man city must pick themselves up and kno that they were hea to head with a top team but weere gallnat losers.
Yeah they will pick themselves up to win Liverpool.
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by Meldrick(m): 8:28am On Sep 23, 2009
I have never been dissapointed the way I was on Sunday. I just had to agree that the EPL was full of cheating and fixing. Apart from the fact that the referee had to wait patiently for Man U to score even when the time was up, the goal was clearly an off side. The EPL is full of shit. Man United are a dissapointment.
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by MrTA(m): 8:32am On Sep 23, 2009
I have never been dissapointed the way I was on Sunday. I just had to agree that the EPL was full of cheating and fixing. Apart from the fact that the referee had to wait patiently for Man U to score even when the time was up, the goal was clearly an off side. The EPL is full of shit. Man United are a dissapointment.

Yes, yes. Feed me more of your tears. Your disappointment is sustaining me! Cry!
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by tkb417(m): 8:52am On Sep 23, 2009
Coming from someone whose team managed a scrappy win against Debrecen, conceded goals in torrents against Spurs and West Ham.
If UTD are weak, then Pool are shit
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by iykedare(m): 10:58am On Sep 23, 2009
so united still need d ref to help them win matches.
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by Nobody: 1:25pm On Sep 23, 2009
tk,
stop wasting your time,my bro.
the tons of ignoramuses that abound on NL is shocking.No matter how you respond to a dimwit,he/she remains one.
we've been talking about analysis on MOTD.some garrulous wimps come here to sound relevant.
Freedom of speech in some cases is an evil.this one is one of them.
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by ayobase(m): 3:57pm On Sep 23, 2009
#Eastbay

You do not need to react to what
is not of relevance to u.
just jump and move on.

Nigeria Is Blessed!
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by BABE3: 4:59pm On Sep 23, 2009
manU SCANNED, huslted did everthinG tongue 4 dat game, chai, they r jst sooo lucky.(jst lyk arsenal of those daiz) embarassed cry cry
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by kazman7(m): 5:49pm On Sep 23, 2009
Im sick of Man City fans complaining about the injury time, the referee was spot on, Bellamy excessive celebration was not added to the original 4 mins, therefore his celebration took 55 secs, and Man U's sub took 30 sec, therefore 5:25 was the injury time and Owen scored like 5:20 into injury time, so i commend the referee on getting it spot on. Also if it was man city who scored in the last min, u would be celebrating……, get over it, ur not as good as man u and never will. NOISY NEIGHBOURS.
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by kazman7(m): 6:33pm On Sep 23, 2009
Based on the streght of play last sunday between man-city and manchester united,who do you think really deserve to win the match
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by oseiwe(m): 7:01pm On Sep 23, 2009
The game na wa! How the ref take know say man-u go score? Na city defence f--k up.
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by BABE3: 8:58pm On Sep 23, 2009
kazman7:

Based on the streght of play last sunday between man-city and manchester united,who do you think really deserve to win the match
man city
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by Nobody: 11:01am On Sep 24, 2009
ayobase:

#Eastbay

You do not need to react to what
is not of relevance to u.
just jump and move on.

Nigeria Is Blessed!

thanks.I don't remember talking to you so I wonder how it's your business.
Oh,I forgot,you're one of the people i was refering to.Sorry for the lapse.Now i understand where you're coming from.
sorry o!
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by yjay(f): 4:46pm On Sep 24, 2009
kazman7:

UNITED OF COURSE!!!!!! i havent seen MANU press any team like that in a while! we deserved to win that match & we did! wink
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by scottN(m): 4:52pm On Sep 24, 2009
First it was Arsenal now Man City for how long will English FA keep suppor. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by kazman7(m): 4:56pm On Sep 24, 2009
yjay,what a lovely angel from the garden of EDEN,you are just spot ON,if not for that jelly fingered goalkeeper called Ben Foster,UNITED dominated man-city like there is no tommorrow & they had shay given to thank for not conceding up to 6 goals in the second half,but you and i know that haters will never admit this fact, GLORY,GLORY MAN-UNITED
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by yjay(f): 4:59pm On Sep 24, 2009
no mind them jare!!!!! MANUNITED FOR LIFE BABY!!!!!!!!!
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by kazman7(m): 5:06pm On Sep 24, 2009
whenever arsenal scores with the hand a la against standard liege in the champions league,there is no problem,If chelsea get 14 minutes against a lesser team there is no problem,when real madrid,juve or inter-milan gets dubious penalties,there is no problem,if man-city had been the team that scored in extra time,there would have been no issue,, grin HATTERS,UNA NO DEY TIRE cheesy make una cry more, i dey enjoy the cry grin grin.,, and these cry,cry babies no fit carry champions league oh,person wey dey carry,una dey hate am---in-short hate more so we can achieve more.UNITED RULES
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by GeorgeD1(m): 5:52pm On Sep 24, 2009
nobody complain for yesterday match with wolves now ooooo! wink
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by kazman7(m): 6:27pm On Sep 24, 2009
when u are successful among your mates,they become jelous,the english premiership is the most supported league in the world,as united rule the landscape,there are bound to be, jelous HATTERS tongue tongue tongue
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by destinysgu(m): 6:52pm On Sep 24, 2009
Meldrick:

did u even watch d match? or u were told by some1?, even Man city manager did'nt mention off talk-less of saying offside in his post-match interview.

is it by force to comment? is beta not to comment than to comment rubbish, unreasonable angry
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by Nobody: 7:57am On Sep 25, 2009
destinysgu:

did u even watch d match? or u were told by some1?, even Man city manager did'nt mention off talk-less of saying offside in his post-match interview.

is it by force to comment? is beta not to comment than to comment rubbish, unreasonable angry

My bros,I tire oh!
Maybe the guy watched it with a black and white tv with a faulty vertial hold.that's where his own offside came from.

Every jackass comes with more and more silly theories.Now offside is it.
kazman7:

whenever arsenal scores with the hand a la against standard liege in the champions league,there is no problem,If chelsea get 14 minutes against a lesser team there is no problem,when real madrid,juve or inter-milan gets dubious penalties,there is no problem,if man-city had been the team that scored in extra time,there would have been no issue,, grin HATTERS,UNA NO DEY TIRE cheesy make una cry more, i dey enjoy the cry grin grin.,, and these cry,cry babies no fit carry champions league oh,person wey dey carry,una dey hate am---in-short hate more so we can achieve more.UNITED RULES
spot on,bro.
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by tkb417(m): 9:57am On Sep 25, 2009
whenever arsenal scores with the hand a la against standard liege in the champions league,there is no problem,If chelsea get 14 minutes against a lesser team there is no problem,when real madrid,juve or inter-milan gets dubious penalties,there is no problem,if man-city had been the team that scored in extra time,there would have been no issue,,   HATTERS,UNA NO DEY TIRE   make una cry more, i dey enjoy the cry  .,, and these cry,cry babies no fit carry champions league oh,person wey dey carry,una dey hate am---in-short hate more so we can achieve more.UNITED RULES

Kazman
try and be posting on our thread
Manchester United has a thread

that was a good post from you. The twats will not see anythn when other teams get stuffs, its only when it happens to UTD yawa go gas
nice one bro

@Yjay
we have a manchester UTD thread na, how come we dont see you people
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by yjay(f): 10:24am On Sep 25, 2009
np, will check it out! anything for my team wink
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by kazman7(m): 10:36am On Sep 25, 2009
thank you brother,i am going to search for the thread NOW.ONE UNITED,ONE LOVE

Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by destinysgu(m): 11:18am On Sep 25, 2009
Eastbay:

My bros,I tire oh!
Maybe the guy watched it with a black and white tv with a faulty vertial hold.that's where his own offside came from.

Every jackass comes with more and more silly theories.Now offside is it.spot on,bro.

i think so too grin
but let think of it, even wit dat, can't he use his common sense.

Real madrid Vs Villareal match, had it been it Man United match nw, HATERS will start crying all over again! O MAN UNITED DON DO PDP AGAIN OO, DEM DON GO BRIBE THE REF OO! FA IS FULL OF SHIT, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

dont knw when all dis f****kin' words will stop frm our haters.I KNEW IT"S JST JEALOUSY.
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by tkb417(m): 11:45am On Sep 25, 2009
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-319383.448.html

vjay and kazman and other UTD faithfuls,
thts the link to our thread
Re: Manchester United Vs Man City: 4-3 (20 September, 2009) by Nobody: 12:04pm On Sep 25, 2009
destinysgu:

i think so too grin
but let think of it, even wit dat, can't he use his common sense.

Real madrid Vs Villareal match, had it been it Man United match nw, HATERS will start crying all over again! O MAN UNITED DON DO PDP AGAIN OO, DEM DON GO BRIBE THE REF OO! FA IS FULL OF SHIT, BLAH BLAH BLAH.

dont knw when all dis f****kin' words will stop frm our haters.I KNEW IT"S JST JEALOUSY.

Bros,u get energy to dissipate on these clowns.
Actully you should be used to this cr*p by now.
Funny enough,some people we think are knowledgeable enough in the game are the ones spearheading this nonsense.
I laugh in (which language)?

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Manchester United vs Brentford (2 - 1) On 7th October 2023 / Arsenal Vs Huddersfield (5 - 0) On 29th November 2017 / Manchester United Vs Ipswich: Capital One Cup (3 - 0) On 23rd September 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.