Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? (1310 Views)

Checkout the Ultra-modern Science Laboratory Built by Chevron In Edo / Yorubas Are The Best In Science And Technology/ict. / Contribution Of Science And Technology In Agriculture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by Mizblinks(f): 5:30pm On Jul 28, 2016
Someone should help me identify the contributions of Christianity to the modern science and technology please... Thanks in advance.

Cc: johnydon22, ogaemma, blueAgent, mrphysics et el....
Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jul 28, 2016
Nothing much, really.

I guess some scientists and engineers are christians, but that doesn't have much of an effect on their science.

A few creationist scientists are against evolution. And they often come up with apologetic theories which promote healthy scientific discourse. Science can't progress without disagreement sometimes.
Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by Mizblinks(f): 6:08pm On Jul 28, 2016
I don't know how to put this but if there's a way I can get contributions of Christianity to modern science and technology I will appreciate.. Thanks...
Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by mrphysics(m): 7:07pm On Jul 28, 2016
Well I don't think there is any contribution, but one thing I know is that most things in Christianity has helped channel science Infact most scientists say that magic is where science has not reached.

They are in different course but religion must agree with science. Christianity deals with belief system whereas science deals with reality, things we can mass produce. For instance, it's not all Christians that can do miracle, like healing the sick, prophesy and so on. But when a phone is produced in china for instance, with same procedure, that same phone can be produced everywhere around the world.

science is helping us use our brain. Left for religion, we would still be in stone age but science help us think and fulfill the purpose of God. For a Christian, rain comes from heaven, but for a scientists like me, it comes from the cloud and nowhere beyond the troposphere but a handiwork of God.

All things science does is what nature has placed for us. Science help us understand and explore them more. Though science is trying to prove the non existence of God, but at the end, it will end up proving the existence of God

In conclusion, Christianity or religion has no impact of science, science only try to prove things people believe in religion. Thanks
Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by KingEbukaNaija: 10:00pm On Jul 28, 2016
mrphysics:
Well I don't think there is any contribution, but one thing I know is that most things in Christianity has helped channel science Infact most scientists say that magic is where science has not reached.

They are in different course but religion must agree with science. Christianity deals with belief system whereas science deals with reality, things we can mass produce. For instance, it's not all Christians that can do miracle, like healing the sick, prophesy and so on. But when a phone is produced in china for instance, with same procedure, that same phone can be produced everywhere around the world.

science is helping us use our brain. Left for religion, we would still be in stone age but science help us think and fulfill the purpose of God. For a Christian, rain comes from heaven, but for a scientists like me, it comes from the cloud and nowhere beyond the troposphere but a handiwork of God.

All things science does is what nature has placed for us. Science help us understand and explore them more. Though science is trying to prove the non existence of God, but at the end, it will end up proving the existence of God

In conclusion, Christianity or religion has no impact of science, science only try to prove things people believe in religion. Thanks

Ignorance then confusion
Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jul 28, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Ignorance then confusion
yours?
Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by johnydon22(m): 12:06am On Jul 29, 2016
Mizblinks:
Someone should help me identify the contributions of Christianity to the modern science and technology please... Thanks in advance.

There have been a lot of Notable very influential Christian scientists whose works influenced many of our modern works.

If you are asking how Christianity influenced modern science in term of renown individual scientists who were christians then very many of them like:

Rev Fr Georges Lamietre - A catholic priest who first propounded the Big bang theory.

Isaac Newton - you may hear about Caculus or laws of motion.

Christiaan Hygenes

Johanness Kepler - who once had gone to the protestant seminary, i cannot say for sure if he remained a Christian till death though.

Very many of them but if you are asking what Christianity as an organized institution has done for development of modern science then i'd say nothing much as a matter of fact early science got a whole lot of persecution from the Church.

Like any scientist who taught Heliocentric solar system and not the geocentric system the church taught was either imprisioned or burnt at the stake for heresy - Gelileo was almost certainly a victim.

Giordano Bruno a catholic priest was burnt at the stake for heresy by the church because he held a view that there are more planets and life existed on them.

The church strived to contain and control scientific studies and aggresively opposed any scientific idea that were in direct contradiction to what the church taught.

But in the 21st century; christiandom is stepping up, vatican has in collaboration with NASA a large telescope for astronomical studies named LUCIFER.

I think they are more so stepping slowly into scientific grounds having realizing that earth is evolving into a society that will soon neglect and chastise ideas consonant with scientific facts.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by Mizblinks(f): 6:53am On Jul 30, 2016
johnydon22:

There have been a lot of Notable very influential Christian scientists whose works influenced many of our modern works.

Thanks sire, this really helped.. Kindest regards..
Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by blueAgent(m): 1:55pm On Jul 30, 2016
Mizblinks:

You can google it.
Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by Mizblinks(f): 1:59pm On Jul 30, 2016
blueAgent:

You can google it.

I've tried that severally but can't come up with something tangible... Maybe you should help me with that... Thanks anyways.
Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by blueAgent(m): 2:00pm On Jul 30, 2016
johnydon22:

If you are asking how Christianity influenced modern science in term of renown individual scientists who were christians then very many of them like:

Rev Fr Georges Lamietre - A catholic priest who first propounded the Big bang theory.

Isaac Newton - you may hear about Caculus or laws of motion.

Christiaan Hygenes

Johanness Kepler - who once had gone to the protestant seminary, i cannot say for sure if he remained a Christian till death though.

Very many of them but if you are asking what Christianity as an organized institution has done for development of modern science then i'd say nothing much as a matter of fact early science got a whole lot of persecution from the Church.

Like any scientist who taught Heliocentric solar system and not the geocentric system the church taught was either imprisioned or burnt at the stake for heresy - Gelileo was almost certainly a victim.

Giordano Bruno a catholic priest was burnt at the stake for heresy by the church because he held a view that there are more planets and life existed on them.

The church strived to contain and control scientific studies and aggresively opposed any scientific idea that were in direct contradiction to what the church taught.

But in the 21st century; christiandom is stepping up, vatican has in collaboration with NASA a large telescope for astronomical studies named LUCIFER.

I think they are more so stepping slowly into scientific grounds having realizing that earth is evolving into a society that will soon neglect and chastise ideas consonant with scientific facts.

Vatican is not the representative of Christians. Vatican is the mysterious Babaylon the City on 7Hills prophcised by the Bible.
I know you are too Dumb to know this.
Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by johnydon22(m): 10:46pm On Jul 30, 2016
Mizblinks:

Thanks sire, this really helped.. Kindest regards..
Thank you dear one..

1 Like

Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by blueAgent(m): 3:30pm On Jul 31, 2016
Mizblinks:

I've tried that severally but can't come up with something tangible... Maybe you should help me with that... Thanks anyways.

You did not Search well.
Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by Nobody: 4:40am On Aug 01, 2016
blueAgent:

Vatican is not the representative of Christians. Vatican is the mysterious Babaylon the City on 7Hills prophcised by the Bible.
I know you are too Dumb to know this.
And intelligence is required to know this . . . how? are there any logical steps that can be carried out to reach this conclusion? undecided
Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by blueAgent(m): 5:22pm On Aug 02, 2016
Teempakguy:
And intelligence is required to know this . . . how? are there any logical steps that can be carried out to reach this conclusion? undecided

When you read your Bible often, you will be able to discern evil from truth.
Re: What's The Contributions Of Christianity To The Modern Science And Technology? by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 03, 2016
blueAgent:

When you read your Bible often, you will be able to discern evil from truth.
Yeah . . . no kidding. undecided

Don't derail the thread, offer the young woman much needed help, FFS.

(1) (Reply)

Reason Why Snake Will Soon Go On Extinction / Man Turns Keke Napep Into Helicopter In Warri - Trudigest.com / 25 Most Notorious Hacker To Ever Get Caught

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.