Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,295 members, 7,836,293 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria (who Do We Recall First) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria (who Do We Recall First) (862 Views)

Dino Melaye Awarded 'The Best Senator In Kogi State Since 1999' (Photos) / 10 Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria. / Dino Melaye Constituents Begin Process To Recall Him From The Senate (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria (who Do We Recall First) by PEPPERified: 4:12pm On Jul 29, 2016
With the recent occurrences in the Nigerian Legislature (particularly the senate), it is apt that we Nigerians are enlightened on the procedures for recalling a senator from the upper Chambers.

Section 69 of the 1999 Constitution provides 10 clear but tortuous steps on how a senator can be recalled from the Senate.
The steps are:

1 More than half of the registered voters in the Senator’s senatorial district write, sign and send a petition to the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC alleging their loss of confidence in the senatorial

2 The petition must be signed, and arranged according to polling units, wards, Local Government Areas, and constituency.

3 INEC notifies the Senator sought to be recalled, stating that it has received a petition for his or her recall, if the petition is valid

4 INEC issues a public notice or announcement stating the date, time and location of the verification of signatures to the petition

5 INEC verifies the signatures to the petition at the designation. The signatories must be individuals who appear on the voters’ register.

6 INEC conducts a referendum if more than one half (50% + 1) of the signatories are verified

7 INEC writes to the petitioners stating that the minimum requirements for a referendum were not met, if the number verified is less than one half of the registered voters in that constituency. The petition will therefore be dismissed.

8 INEC conducts a referendum within 90 days of receipt of the petition if the minimum requirements for a referendum are met. The referendum will be a simple yes or no vote on whether the Senator should be recalled, and will be decided by simple majority of the votes of the persons registered to vote in that Senator’s constituency.

9 If majority of the voters in the constituency vote ‘yes’ the Chairman of the INEC will send a Certificate of Recall to the Senate President to effect the recall.

10 The Senate President will show affected senator the way out of the Senate.
Re: Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria (who Do We Recall First) by HungerBAD: 4:15pm On Jul 29, 2016
This should be copied and sent to Kogi State.

I am sure they have been looking for something like this,on the way forward concerning Dino Maleye.

2 Likes

Re: Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria (who Do We Recall First) by TippyTop(m): 4:20pm On Jul 29, 2016
Hopefully Lagosians would see it fit to recall Remi Tinubu.
I don't know why Lagosians allowed Tinubu to fill parliament with his inlaws, brothers, wife etc.

1 Like

Re: Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria (who Do We Recall First) by PEPPERified: 4:22pm On Jul 29, 2016
HungerBAD:
This should be copied and sent to Kogi State.

I am sure they have been looking for something like this,on the way forward concerning Dino Maleye.

Dino Malaye done suffer! He has a lot of partners in crime..
a whole lot of redundant senators who only know how to sleep and padding our budget.

1 Like

Re: Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria (who Do We Recall First) by arushiuga(m): 4:22pm On Jul 29, 2016
Achoromu ka ha recall uwajumogu nke meriri election e mere na Thursday.

1 Like

Re: Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria (who Do We Recall First) by Wabros: 5:10pm On Jul 29, 2016
Thanks @Arushiuga

1 Like

Re: Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria (who Do We Recall First) by nakamora: 6:40pm On Jul 29, 2016
arushiuga:

Uwajumogu victory pain ipob youth enter bone. grin
arushiuga:

Uwajumogu victory pain ipob youth enter bone.
Re: Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria (who Do We Recall First) by Kayode1979: 7:35pm On Jul 29, 2016
DINO number one

Re: Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria (who Do We Recall First) by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jul 29, 2016
Too tedious. Who wants to go through all that? undecided

I guess they purposely made it so.
Re: Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria (who Do We Recall First) by PEPPERified: 7:58pm On Jul 29, 2016
Ioannes:
Too tedious. Who wants to go through all that? undecided

I guess they purposely made it so.

If it is not made "tedious" some kangaroo with money can just make a man lose his legitimate mandate with just cause
Re: Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria (who Do We Recall First) by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jul 29, 2016
PEPPERified:

If it is not made "tedious" some kangaroo with money can just make a man lose his legitimate mandate with just cause

I agree but still who wants to go through all that?

Collecting the signatures of half the constituents is enough work to last one till old age.
Re: Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria (who Do We Recall First) by johnmartus(m): 9:21pm On Jul 29, 2016
recall ko dethrone ni you never be frustrate before?

(1) (Reply)

Rev. Fr. Mbaka Sends Strong Warning To Buhari / Who Is The Best President Among Them : PHOTO / I Didn’t Know Corruption Was This Much Under Me- GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.