Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,218 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos (2612 Views)

Buhari Is Investigating Feud Between AGF, Magu – Lai Mohammed / Hausa And Igbos Clash In Aba, 3 Dead (photos) / Hausa-Fulani And Igbos Clash In Aba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by OlivetBen(m): 12:26pm On Jul 31, 2016
I always ask myself this question "what is the feud between the west and the east all about(yorubas and the igbos)?
I believe that somebody who can read, write or type is learned. We the learned people shouldn't allow our lives to be influenced by an individual.
The individual might have gotten things wrong at the very first stage and he/she will drag others into it thereby creating hatred and animosity among his descendants and other people.
Take for instance when we were small(tender in age) there were some homes our parents would want us not to be friends with neither to play with their children just because the head of each families had misunderstanding in the past. And they'll end up causing generational hatred between the families.

In the case of Yoruba and Igbo, I don't think there is any difference between them. They school 2geda, they have religion in common(to an extent), they inter marry, they trade in common. As I am, I am an igbo person, I am schooling in the West(OAU to be precise) , my uncle married a yoruba woman(they have children together) and they've been living fine,in school 95 percents of my friends are yorubas, God's willing I am planing to marry a yoruba woman.

We are the current generation, let's allow the philosophies(especially those philosophies that breed hatred) of the past leaders to die with them since it has not brought the desired change that we want and develop a mindset that is positive and that can stand the test of time.
I read about the kind of friendship that transpired between Aguyi Ironsi and Fajuyi. The friendship that made Fajuyi to die with him(Ironsi) an easterner. The humility,honesty,hospitality,selflesness that was seen in Fajuyi brought out goose pimples out of my body. Can't we develop that kind of attitude and lifestyle? It baffles me each time i go online and read the kind abuse each group lay on each other, I will say ah! Ah! What is the matter?
Aguyi Ironsi's philosophies and actions have had little or no impact in the development of this country. Nnamdi Azikwe's philosophies might have solved the problem on ground during their time but that philosphies are now archaic let us change them.
Chief Obafemi Awolowo was in no doubt a hero with theoretical and practical philosophies that helped to remedy some situations on ground during their era but if I may ask, are those philosophies still working in this fast changing world?
If the northerners are proving difficult to develop, the Southerners can unanimously pull them through with their wealth of knowledge and technical know- how.
I would have loved to continue to highlight things but time will fail me. So my candid advice is that we the present generation should step up on our game and leave those past leaders who had served their generation to rest in peace and face our own generation and leave a legacy for the coming generation instead of casting aspersions on each other and I believe that country will be better.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by brize(m): 12:35pm On Jul 31, 2016
Like a witch rat they will keep biting and sucking you and at the same time blowing you some flesh breeze......... Like a snake they don't have a definite direction and so can betray you even before you start the journey...... All igbo don't totally hate yoruba but the thing is that in this struggle of ours, it's always good to have many enemies and few dedicated and loyal friends than having numerous treacherous friends who are ready to betray you sooner or later.......

For now let everyone keep his love until after this struggle.. ALUTA CONTINUA.

5 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by dialfa: 12:37pm On Jul 31, 2016
OlivetBen:

In the case of Yoruba and Igbo, I don't think there is any difference between them. They school 2geda, they have religion in common(to an extent), they inter marry, they trade in common. As I am, I am an igbo person, I am schooling in the West(OAU to be precise) , my uncle married a yoruba woman(they have children together) and they've been living fine,in school 95 percents of my friends are yorubas, God's willing I am planing to marry a yoruba woman.

Eiyaah! Soo sorry.

8 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by chriskosherbal(m): 12:39pm On Jul 31, 2016
Let's give peace a chance
Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by Pedropa: 12:45pm On Jul 31, 2016
The feud is. Yorubas want Nigeria, Igbos accepted that. Igbos want Biafra, Yorubas are kicking against it upanda.

Who is the trouble maker here ?

We accepted they can choose what they want in or out, but they won't bear hearing us mention Biafra.

14 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by Pedropa: 12:47pm On Jul 31, 2016
chriskosherbal:
Let's give peace a chance

No peace without justice and peace is not the absence of war.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by ihimiray(m): 12:48pm On Jul 31, 2016
Yea op I so much concur, let live in peace and be united as one

1 Like

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by MadamExcellency: 12:51pm On Jul 31, 2016
Have people of different ethnicities in Nigeria stop pulling down rivals based on tribal inclination?

Where is the truth and reconciliation committee white paper after the civil war.

If you happened to be a victim of this half century generation rivalry when it has nothing to do with your character, intelligence, skills, competence and qualifications in a Nigerian Establishment then I bet your story will change if it even spared your life,

2 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by policy12: 12:56pm On Jul 31, 2016
Nice one at Op but I know soonest some ppu will fill this thread word of hatred...

The youths of this generations won't learn,just like the Op said if hatred has not help in time past why can't we try love and let peace reign.
This is the reason we have the types of leader in African different from other part of the world. This pics speak better..

1 Like

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jul 31, 2016
Azikwe wanted One Nigeria, Ojuku wanted Biafra. They celebrate Ojuku but hate Zik to the core. Ibo dont hate Yorubas but anyone that doesn't subscribe to their agenda. Well atleast they love Soyinka for agreeing with them on Biafra.

5 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by JBismarck(m): 12:59pm On Jul 31, 2016
Op the truth of the matter is that the real tribal bigots are few and far flung while those I categorise as career bigots are many. Career bigots are those paid to stoke ethnic tensions especially online. These are always online spewing trash, dishing out revisioned, doctored history to back up their jaundiced positions.

Meanwhile in real life, you won't see any Yoruba slapping any Igbo on the street likewise you won't see any Igbo yelling at any Yoruba because of his tribe.

My take? Most of those you see online are either sponsored, paid, misguided or all of the above pit in one. The pathetic side of it is that while they waste away their time to establish who the traitor, chest-beater etc is, their politicians have field day cornering our wealth.

I weep for this nation. I'm a Nigerian and a Nigerian I am. This is above any tribe.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 31, 2016
OlivetBen:
[s]I always ask myself this question "what is the feud between the west and the east all about(yorubas and the igbos)?
I believe that somebody who can read, write or type is learned. We the learned people shouldn't allow our lives to be influenced by an individual.
The individual might have gotten things wrong at the very first stage and he/she will drag others into it thereby creating hatred and animosity among his descendants and other people.
Take for instance when we were small(tender in age) there were some homes our parents would want us not to be friends with neither to play with their children just because the head of each families had misunderstanding in the past. And they'll end up causing generational hatred between the families.

We are the current generation, let's allow the philosophies(especially those philosophies that breed hatred) of the past leaders to die with them since it has not brought the desired change that we want and develop a mindset that is positive and that can stand the test of time.
I read about the kind of friendship that transpired between Aguyi Ironsi and Fajuyi. The friendship that made Fajuyi to die with him(Ironsi) an easterner. The humility,honesty,hospitality,selflesness that was seen in Fajuyi brought out goose pimples out of my body. Can't we develop that kind of attitude and lifestyle? It baffles me each time i go online and read the kind abuse each group lay on each other, I will say ah! Ah! What is the matter?
Aguyi Ironsi's philosophies and actions have had little or no impact in the development of this country. Nnamdi Azikwe's philosophies might have solved the problem on ground during their time but that philosphies are now archaic let us change them.
Chief Obafemi Awolowo was in no doubt a hero with theoretical and practical philosophies that helped to remedy some situations on ground during their era but if I may ask, are those philosophies still working in this fast changing world?
If the northerners are proving difficult to develop, the Southerners can unanimously pull them through with their wealth of knowledge and technical know- how.
I would have loved to continue to highlight things but time will fail me. So my candid advice is that we the present generation should step up on our game and leave those past leaders who had served their generation to rest in peace and face our own generation and leave a legacy for the coming generation instead of casting aspersions on each other and I believe that country will be better[/s].

Yoruba as expected. Stop opening threads asking all these useless questions. Get into your skull...SE AND SS don't want to be around you. What is difficult to understand? Gosh!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by domopps(m): 1:02pm On Jul 31, 2016
It's very simple the fight is all about superiority!

Cheeeeers
Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by kettle84(m): 1:04pm On Jul 31, 2016
most of the e-fights are done by Nairaland teens

2 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by EmeeNaka: 1:06pm On Jul 31, 2016
The major cause of East and West feud is Biafra. From the alleged betrayal of East by the West in the Biafra war to the present firm opposition towards Biafran cause by same children of West. Whenever the West team up with the North against Eastern struggles, it's always like 2 against 1. So, the push from the East is aimed at neutralizing the West so that East can face the North squarely.
I advocate for peace. Nigerians can't continue like this. This struggle always divide the masses and that gives room to embezzlers to continue unabated. We need to come together and demand for our dividends of democracy.

5 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by Emyogalanya: 1:39pm On Jul 31, 2016
Simple answer hausas divide and rule is at work. And both are scared to face the common enemy .>hausa while he laughs at them from the sideline. But anyhow they don't kill themselves but hausas kill them with no mercy and they end up blaming themselves for the killing and applauding the hausas to kill more am from anambra state o
Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by sCun: 2:06pm On Jul 31, 2016
What do you mean by they have religion in common? 62.5% of Yorubas are Muslims.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by emerged01(m): 2:13pm On Jul 31, 2016
I can't stop laughing. Ignorance is truly a disease.
Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by kettle84(m): 2:29pm On Jul 31, 2016
Igbos are true nationalists .before and after the Nigerian civil war,Igbos have shown that they bore no hatred by accepting to invest in every part of Nigeria because they see Nigeria as their country. Rather than appreciate this,Yoruba's have continued to hate Igbos .while growing up I got worried about this and made research and discovered it is because of Igbos presence and obvious success in what they do that generates the hate.the question is why should a tribe be hated because they hustle hard to better themselves. then came the issue of Biafra, at the mention of it Hausa murmur 'ONE NAIJERIYA' and Yoruba's scream and abuse Igbos online and in their closet but become mute when they come face to face with an igbo.The issue is that Igbos want freedom, dignity and respect of everyone's view.

4 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by OlivetBen(m): 2:35pm On Jul 31, 2016
sCun:
I said to an extent
Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 31, 2016
Uduak2019:

Yoruba as expected. Stop opening threads asking all these useless questions. Get into your skull...SE AND SS don't want to be around you. What is difficult to understand? Gosh!

Ummmm... Dundee united, why are you and your wretched families invading their abode like rats invading a home if you don't wanna be around them?

1 Like

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 31, 2016
sCun:

Oh...is that so? Can you give us access to the data you collected to reach this asinine conclusion or is this another of your wild assumptions cooked up by a feverish mind?

2 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by Ngozi123(f): 2:47pm On Jul 31, 2016
Uduak2019:

I have to agree with you on this one. I don't know any Igbo person that likes Awolowo after what he did to us.

1 Like

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jul 31, 2016
kettle84:
Igbos are true nationalists .before and after the Nigerian civil war,Igbos have shown that they bore no hatred by accepting to invest in every part of Nigeria because they see Nigeria as their country. Rather than appreciate this,Yoruba's have continued to hate Igbos .while growing up I got worried about this and made research and discovered it is because of Igbos presence and obvious success in what they do that generates the hate.the question is why should a tribe be hated because they hustle hard to better themselves. then came the issue of Biafra, at the mention of it Hausa murmur 'ONE NAIJERIYA' and Yoruba's scream and abuse Igbos online and in their closet but become mute when they come face to face with an igbo.The issue is that Igbos want freedom, dignity and respect of everyone's view.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin you are really hilarious. Are you using Nairaland to practice for AYLive show or wetin.

These guys nor kill person abeg...

If Yorubas hate Igbos you think you won't be fishing the dead bodies of your family members out of the various rivers dotting the landscape of Yoruba land?

Besides, y'all know why you can't go home to build houses and those who build can't go back there to live. Cos they'll kidnap your sorry arse.

And I don't know your definition of success o. Selling Gala and fan yogo, or being a proud tenant of a corner shop doesn't qualify, thank you. Neither does smuggling drugs across international borders.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jul 31, 2016
Pedropa:
The feud is. Yorubas want Nigeria, Igbos accepted that. Igbos want Biafra, Yorubas are kicking against it upanda.

Who is the trouble maker here ?

We accepted they can choose what they want in or out, but they won't bear hearing us mention Biafra.

We've asked you to leave several times. You as an individual, how many Yoruba men have stopped you as you were packing your loads to head back for your village in the East?

2 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by sCun: 3:08pm On Jul 31, 2016
OlivetBen:

I said to an extent
That is not true, they are majority muslims, we are almost 100% Christian

2 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by oyinkinola: 3:32pm On Jul 31, 2016
brize:
Like a witch rat they will keep biting and sucking you and at the same time blowing you some flesh breeze......... Like a snake they don't have a definite direction and so can betray you even before you start the journey...... All igbo don't totally hate yoruba but the thing is that in this struggle of ours, it's always good to have many enemies and few dedicated and loyal friends than having numerous treacherous friends who are ready to betray you sooner or later.......

For now let everyone keep his love until after this struggle.. ALUTA CONTINUA.
...op you see why now, read the first reaction to your opinion, is this helpful, that's why thing is breaking, yoruba is always in defensive, if igbo is ready to make things work, for we yoruba, why not?

1 Like

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by kettle84(m): 5:03pm On Jul 31, 2016
Ioannes:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin you are really hilarious. Are you using Nairaland to practice for AYLive show or wetin.

These guys nor kill person abeg...

If Yorubas hate Igbos you think you won't be fishing the dead bodies of your family members out of the various rivers dotting the landscape of Yoruba land?

Besides, y'all know why you can't go home to build houses and those who build can't go back there to live. Cos they'll kidnap your sorry arse.

And I don't know your definition of success o. Selling Gala and fan yogo, or being a proud tenant of a corner shop doesn't qualify, thank you. Neither does smuggling drugs across international borders.
I don't argue with teenagers.
Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by Stricker321: 5:24pm On Jul 31, 2016
The major issue here is that the hurt of the civil war has not been taken care of so that it can heal.

A lot of Igbos are particularly pained because of Awolowo's role in that war. One way or the other, he didn't get the Yorubas to seced after Ojukwu had gone ahead to declare the eastern region a free and sovereign state of Biafra.

I think Yorubas should apologise to Igbos on his behalf. To be honest Igbos don't hate Yorubas because if we do, we will not be marrying you people every Saturday.

I think the Igbos and Yorubas should form a truth and reconciliation committe.

1 Like

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by Fleshly: 6:23pm On Jul 31, 2016
Truth is that there is no feud between the Igbos and the Afonjas. We the Igbos don't even know the Afonjas exist. For us they are not worth our time.

I've been an Igbo man all true my life, and I've been talking with Igbos, hardly will you enter any Igbo family and hear them discuss the Afonjas. Why will the Igbos want to associate themselves with some bunch of lowlife cowards? Never, that is no the spirit of Nwafor!

What you see happening is just some bunch of Muslim Yorubas who always see igbo Giants in their dreams... Yorubas want to attach themselves to the Igbos for the fear of the north, but we clearly don't want anything to do with them and thankfully this unholy matrimony is gradually coming to an end!

4 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by Fleshly: 6:40pm On Jul 31, 2016
Stricker321:
The major issue here is that the hurt of the civil war has not been taken care of so that it can heal.

A lot of Igbos are particularly pained because of Awolowo's role in that war. One way or the other, he didn't get the Yorubas to seced after Ojukwu had gone ahead to declare the eastern region a free and sovereign state of Biafra.

I think Yorubas should apologise to Igbos on his behalf. To be honest Igbos don't hate Yorubas because if we do, we will not be marrying you people every Saturday.

I think the Igbos and Yorubas should form a truth and reconciliation committe.

Trash! I'm an Igbo and the truth is that we hate yorubas. Make no mistakes about that! If Igbos don't hate yorubas why are they not co-opting or at least reaching out to thbe yorubas for their biafran agenda.

Tell me one agreement or partnership Igbos have made with the Yorubas since independence. Please call a spade a spade and not a farming equipment.

4 Likes

Re: Why The Feud Between Yorubas And Igbos by ayzTIGER: 6:51pm On Jul 31, 2016
Ngozi123:

I have to agree with you on this one. I don't know any Igbo person that likes Awolowo after what he did to us.
the op na Yoruba man

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Again Rotimi Akeredolu Failed To Acknowledge Bola Tinubu In His Inaugural Speech / Ladies And Gentle Men , This Is The Table. Dangotes Daughters Wedding / Fulani Must Converge On Benue From November - Miyetti Allah.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.