Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:47 AM

Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls (963 Views)

2004 Lexis Rx330 For Sale / Hausa Translators Needed For Longterm (hausa Linguists Prefered) / Pls Matured Guys In The House,i Need Your Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by Optimist4life: 2:22pm On Jul 31, 2016
English Gurus and Grammarians in the house which of these phrases is correct :
I am a goal-getter, a result-oriented person who possesses the "I can" attitude towards anything I do. .
Or
I am a goal-getter, a result-oriented person who possess the "I can" attitude towards anything I do

Pls your opinion on this : is it possess or possesses
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by Qudbell(m): 2:26pm On Jul 31, 2016
use a singular verb - possesses
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by incrediboooh(m): 2:31pm On Jul 31, 2016
The 'I' is the subject to be considered..nd I is sortov a plural noun which qualifies POSSESS as d right ansa.....fankz cool
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by Missmossy(f): 2:34pm On Jul 31, 2016
Possess suits it better in this context.

2 Likes

Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by Hawx(m): 3:00pm On Jul 31, 2016
This is an ambiguous sentence. With the introduction of the noun 'person' and the relative pronoun 'who', the verb should be single i.e possesses' as it relates with the noun 'person' and not the the pronoun 'I'.
I stand to be corrected anyway.

3 Likes

Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by sheunfemix: 4:43pm On Jul 31, 2016
first it is 'Go-getter and secondly it is POSSESS. You can't say I Possesses since u are addressing ur self as singular present

2 Likes

Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by ucheheart(m): 5:10pm On Jul 31, 2016
Possess is the correct answer. If you are not an English teacher don't argue
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by guiddoti: 5:18pm On Jul 31, 2016
Possess is the right word.
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by HIlord: 6:12pm On Jul 31, 2016
Uhm, I think 'who' and not 'I' is the pronoun being qualified; that being true, I think it should be qualified like singular nouns (or pronouns) would : 'she possesses', 'he posseses' , 'who has', 'who possesses' etc.

Try saying 'I am the boy who have the ball', sounds incorrect right?
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by kingeze88(m): 6:16pm On Jul 31, 2016
Singular subject follows Singular verb, plural subject follows plural verb. Possesses is correct.
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by magnificientzaz(f): 6:27pm On Jul 31, 2016
kingeze88:
Singular subject follows Singular verb, plural subject follows plural verb. Possesses is correct.
Wrong!
Singular subject goes with plural verb
Plural subject goes with singular verb
Note: singular verb has d 's' suffix e.g cries
Plural verb has no 's' suffix e.g cry
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by zicoraads: 6:31pm On Jul 31, 2016
Possesses!
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 31, 2016
HIlord:
Uhm, I think 'who' and not 'I' is the pronoun being qualified; that being true, I think it should be qualified like singular nouns (or pronouns) would : 'she possesses', 'he posseses' , 'who has', 'who possesses' etc.

have the ball sounds beta than has the ball. I blv the "I" remains the subject and should go with a plural verb.
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jul 31, 2016
magnificientzaz:

Wrong!
Singular subject goes with plural verb
Plural subject goes with singular verb
Note: singular verb has d 's' suffix e.g cries
Plural verb has no 's' suffix e.g cry
I refuse to agree with you oooo. If from ur explanation singular subject goes with plural verb, den it's for example - "Chika have" as against the right one "Chika has". The rule is singular subject or noun goes with a singular verb and vice versa.
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by GeniusKel(m): 7:21pm On Jul 31, 2016
HIlord:

Shikena.
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by Money4passion: 7:54pm On Jul 31, 2016
'a result oriented person' is saying more about 'I' and in this case could be in bracket. Therefore I is treated as a plural entity and should go with a plural form of a verb.
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by abegii(f): 8:08pm On Jul 31, 2016
franciskaine:

I refuse to agree with you oooo. If from ur explanation singular subject goes with plural verb, den it's for example - "Chika have" as against the right one "Chika has". The rule is singular subject or noun goes with a singular verb and vice versa.
@magnificientzaz ur rule is totally wrong
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by success4love(m): 8:32pm On Jul 31, 2016
possesses.
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by tunisbaba(m): 9:49pm On Jul 31, 2016
Optimist4life:
English Gurus and Grammarians in the house which of these phrases is correct :
I am a goal-getter, a result-oriented person who possesses the "I can" attitude towards anything I do. .
Or
I am a goal-getter, a result-oriented person who possess the "I can" attitude towards anything I do

Pls your opinion on this : is it possess or possesses
Well I am not a linguist but I will advise you not use this sentence on your career objective or summary.
First, the sentence is unclear; second, this statement does not hold value again to HR. They have seen it million times.
So better find a more specific and convincing career objectives. I hope this helps.
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jul 31, 2016
abegii:
@magnificientzaz ur rule is totally wrong
exactly
Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by earthi(m): 11:28pm On Jul 31, 2016
Could we simplify a little bit. ..If we took away the 'go getter, result oriented' bit, we'd be left with 'I am a person who..... In my opinion 'posseses' is grammatically correct in this context

1 Like

Re: Grammarians And Linguists In The House Check Out This Lexis Pls by Maya4eva: 5:46pm On Aug 04, 2016
First of all, it is 'go-getter'. Secondly, for those of us claiming that the pronoun 'I' is a plural entity, I am shocked. If 'I' is plural, where's the need for the pronoun 'We'? Dear poster, your construction is simply one with multiple clauses and the correct form of the verb should be 'possess', not because 'I' is plural but because it begins the main clause and is the subject of the sentence. The second part of the sentence is your subordinate clause which still refers back to the subject of the main clause. I hope this helps.

(1) (Reply)

Worldbank/hallmark University Recruitment / Urgent Vacancy! / Vacancy For Immediate Engagement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.