Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,240 members, 7,846,134 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Will The Signing Of Kelvin Gameiro By Atletico Madrid Change La Liga Dynamics - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Will The Signing Of Kelvin Gameiro By Atletico Madrid Change La Liga Dynamics (465 Views)

See The Abakiliki Version Of Kelvin De Bryune / Diego Costa Unveiled By Atletico Madrid - See What He Said About Chelsea / Leicester City Complete The Signing Of Iheanacho From Man City(pics,video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Will The Signing Of Kelvin Gameiro By Atletico Madrid Change La Liga Dynamics by luciomoggi(m): 11:41am On Aug 02, 2016
By Ewah Chika.

"Griezman is a great French player like myself and I am sure we will make a lot of goals together.

I talked to Simeone on the phone and he told me he loved me and that we will have a great season. I like the Atletico team and mentality. I think I can do many things here this year," were the words of Kelvin Gameiro who recently signed a four year contract with Atletico from Sevilla on Saturday for €32 million.

Gameiro is joining Atletico after scoring 67 goals all competitions for Sevilla during his three years at the club. The forward is expected to make the starting eleven with Fernando Torres playing as back-up . Gameiro was so impressive last season scoring 29 goals in all competitions last season and also winning the Europa League under Unai Emery. Atletico on their part have allowed Argentine youngster Vietto move to Sevilla on loan after flopping in Madrid scoring one league goal after his €20 million from Villarreal in 2014. Simeone views Gameiro as the missing jigsaw in his team's attack after struggling to score goals since the exit of Diego Costa to Chelsea in 2014, with the likes of Mario Mandzukic, Jackson Martinez and Vietto all flattering to deceive. This is a departure from the great strikers that have played for Atletico like Sergio Aguero, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Christian Vieri, Diego Forlan and Radamal Falcao.

Gameiro will play upfront with the likes of Angel Correa and Antonie Griezman supporting him on the wings or slightly behind him. Gameiro might not boast the type of talent possessed by Pierre Emerick Aubameyang, Gonzalo Higuain , Robert Lewandowski and Karim Benzema but he is surely an upgrade on the likes of Vietto, Torres and Correa. Gameiro is highly experienced and will suit the philosophy of Diego Simeone having won the French Ligue 1 with PSG and the Europa League thrice in his three years in Sevilla. Gameiro's playing style is also compatible with that of Atletico as his aerial ability, mobility, pace, physicality and finishing is ideal to Diego Simeone's project at the club.

One big flaw with the signing is the high fee involved in his signing €32 million judging from his age (29). This might seem high when one considers that the striker might be approaching his decline . Another factor is Gameiro's record of flopping in his last time in a big club (PSG), where he scored only 19 goals in 59 Ligue 1 games playing second fiddle to Zlatan Ibrahimovic In his second season. Also to be considered is Gameiro's poor league form in Sevilla where he scored only 39 goals In 92 games, which shows that the striker is more of a cup/tournament player.

In a 4-2-3-1 formation with Oblak in goal, Felipe Luis, Diego Godin, Hernandez and Juanfran in defence, Augusto Fernandez and Gabi in defensive midfield, Antonine Griezman , Koke and Yannick Carrasco in attacking midfield , Kelvin Gameiro will have a field day in Madrid as he will be presented with many goalscoring chances considering the quality of Atletico Madrid's first team. For now , Kelvin Gameiro is the new star in the City of Madrid, though he isn't the finest striker, he is certainly ideal for Diego Simeone and should take them to the promised land next season .

Source

http://mailtelegraph..co.ke/2016/08/will-signing-of-kelvin-gameiro-by.html?m=1

(1) (Reply)

10+ Odd For This New Season With Testrunned Strategies And Analysis / Andy Murray Successfully Defends His Olympic Title / Stingy Arsene Wenger Don Come Again Ooo! ..TOP SPORT HEADLINE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.