Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,045 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa (9094 Views)

Gunmen Walking Around With Their Weapons In Birnin-Gwari, Kaduna (Photos/Video) / Members Of Aye/blackaxe Cultists Arrested With Weapons In Delta(pics / Fulani Herdsmen Arrested With Weapons In Kaduna By Police (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by Nobody: 8:35am On Aug 03, 2016
buharisbae:
iPads and NDA are responsible and Fulani too grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by habebe1(m): 8:36am On Aug 03, 2016
MadCow1:
Lies..

70% is outrageous..

What about War torn nations like Mali and Sudan and co?

350 Million illegal weapons in a Nation of 160 Million people would be hard to hide. That means each person should have almost 2 guns each.

I don't believe this for one day.

Your stats make sense but Sudan no de West Africa na
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by Nobody: 8:39am On Aug 03, 2016
MadCow1:
Lies..

70% is outrageous..

What about War torn nations like Mali and Sudan and co?

350 Million illegal weapons in a Nation of 160 Million people would be hard to hide. That means each person should have almost 2 guns each.

Bruv this report is very accurate. There are lots of unlicensed weapons in this country. i know a friend who has two in the car and a shotgun in the house for security because of where he lives and a police officer sold all to him. saw my first glock at 12 years old belonged to a neighbors dad.

1 Like

Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by MadCow1: 8:43am On Aug 03, 2016
habebe1:

Your stats make sense but Sudan no de West Africa na

I swear I wasn't thinking of West Africa whilst typing that post.
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by beldad(f): 8:52am On Aug 03, 2016
seriously, what about war torned countries ehn, is it cutlass n hoe they use? abeg
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by Simply29ice(m): 8:57am On Aug 03, 2016
nwanna89:
Nigerians should be allowed to own small arms to protect ourselves since our security agencies are failing us
...e dey say u chop maize..,u want me to be robbing u everi day..tink tink tink..nwanna..dos who dnt experience d act of war says d war is swt,let der be..
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by xprezboy: 9:01am On Aug 03, 2016
MadCow1:
Lies..

70% is outrageous..

What about War torn nations like Mali, Sierra leone and Liberia and co?

madcow, remember we have one of the most porous borders in the world
remember that BH captures many battalions of NA
Remember oil bunkering is a serious maritime crime and biz
remember, every Nigerien, Malian, Chadian are all northerners.
putting dz fact in2 consideration, it will be hard to dispute the figures
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by sesaan(m): 9:01am On Aug 03, 2016
GlorifiedTunde:
Of the 70%

South West: 1%

North Central : 1%

North East: 42%

North West: 1.5%

South East: 4.5%

South South: 50%

I think the North east has more weapons than south south... haram boys have T 72 tanks, armoured personel carrier, na just AKs and dynamite Avengers n Co get, couple with some Anti aircraft guns

2 Likes

Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by MadCow1: 9:02am On Aug 03, 2016
lestat:

Bruv this report is very accurate. There are lots of unlicensed weapons in this country. i know a friend who has two in the car and a shotgun in the house for security because of where he lives and a police officer sold all to him. saw my first glock at 12 years old belonged to a neighbors dad.

Shotguns are legal and widely available in most rich and upper middle class homes.

Its the Glocks and full auto's that they are talking about and to say 350 Million of such are in circulation in this Country is quite outlandish a claim to make.

2 Likes

Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by focus7: 9:04am On Aug 03, 2016
Jonathan government witnessed the highest level of illicit arms due to inefficiency.

1 Like

Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by MadCow1: 9:05am On Aug 03, 2016
sesaan:

I think the North east has more weapons than south south... haram boys have T 72 tanks, armoured personel carrier, na just AKs and dynamite Avengers n Co get, couple with some Anti aircraft guns

Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by MadCow1: 9:06am On Aug 03, 2016
xprezboy:

madcow, remember we have one of the most porous borders in the world
remember that BH captures many battalions of NA
Remember oil bunkering is a serious maritime crime and biz
remember, every Nigerien, Malian, Chadian are all northerners.
putting dz fact in2 consideration, it will be hard to dispute the figures

350 Million ILLEGAL WEAPONS?! shocked shocked shocked

That is a gross exaggeration fam.
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by Ice007(m): 9:07am On Aug 03, 2016
Hmmm! About 350 million illicit firearms? And just of the small and lightweight categories? Which will be in the hands of just a few out of naija's 160m inhabitants. That's scary. I wonder what the figure will add up to considering the legit ones and other categories. May God help us.
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by sesaan(m): 9:12am On Aug 03, 2016
lestat:

and now you are 60 without having a kitchen knife... when E start I no go borrow anybody my 7 AK12 , 34 M16 and 14 RPGs
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by Pylony(m): 9:18am On Aug 03, 2016
ikbnice:
They are selling it to us and keeping record of it. No wonder there is unrest nearly everywhere.
You thought they are like we African's who can't keep a true population database or records?? As many African countries gaining independence from the white imperial slate masters, many were through the mouth of the gun while others such as Nigeria got it peacefully until we got stroked with hate that lead to the then ugly civil war. The first thing most early African leaders where busy buying in fashion right after independent were weaponry to suit their hunger for power. No wonder you see old Soviet weapons like the Ak47 still in circulation in the wrong hands in the third world countries. They already have a well kept records of arms manufactured, destination of sells to military and paramilitary institutions all across African countries from as far as the 1950's. We
Africans have being in slumber not using our heads to think it, we have fail to understand that they have use our continent as a weapon dumping site simply because our floppy tommy Generals and Politicians allow it to be so out of their greed for power were some of them have die on the seats of power with their gay rag butt stick to the chair.
They are selling it to us because we never love each other, nor love the colour of our pitch black or ebony skins.
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by ibolomo(m): 9:24am On Aug 03, 2016
But we account for 51% of the West African Population na,
Not justifying it tho, just saying
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by LGDON: 9:26am On Aug 03, 2016
Blame Obama and Hillary Clinton
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by adegeye38(m): 9:29am On Aug 03, 2016
Time to go get a gun
abeg who wan sell?
9mm preferred, slightly used, pm me make we talk price

Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by TomHagen: 9:30am On Aug 03, 2016
nwanna89:
Nigerians should be allowed to own small arms to protect ourselves since our security agencies are failing us
Very bad idea.

1 Like

Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by Twoboys: 9:30am On Aug 03, 2016
Yet in the face of all these damning security threats, the DSS is busy with every allegation of crime involving politicians. While National security issues like this and many others suffer.
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by Originalsly: 9:33am On Aug 03, 2016
MadCow1:

Shotguns are legal and widely available in most rich and upper middle class homes.

Its the Glocks and full auto's that they are talking about and to say 350 Million of such are in circulation in this Country is quite outlandish a claim to make.
Bro... didn't you read the UN said so? Any claim the UN makes too many people would swallow... hook,line and sinker.... no time to think twice, reason nor use common sense. We are our worst enemies....the UN is tarnishing our image... and we are supporting them. Why waste time?...just chill and read comments...see how we think as a nation.
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by Pylony(m): 9:37am On Aug 03, 2016
Seriously, we should never pray for any catastrophic arms struggle in this country, because no shingle African country will contain 170million people at their boarders. A population which our useless thiefy Polititians should have use to our advantage to develop us into a strong self relying nation, instead they allow over 70million Jobless youths to roam the streets, a nation already seating on a keg of gun powder. The huge recruitment by Boko Haram should have open the blind eyes of the politicians, that boys are no longer smiling in this country enjoy by "a microscopic few" according to one old papa..lol.

2 Likes

Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by aisammy4: 9:57am On Aug 03, 2016
Descartes:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/un-nigeria-accounts-for-70-of-500m-illicit-weapons-in-west-africa/

This article is quiet interesting. We don't know what can happen next seconds in Nigeria. If such a huge number of arms is in circulation what is then remaining. Instead of finding a lasting solution to problems and crisis in the land, we continue to support evil acts. Some people want the country to be divided, some want war, some only know how to steal our money and destroy our resources, some alter negative comment about other ethnic group to cause conflict, ritual killings, strange diseases in land, orphans are rising by numbers everyday e.t.c.

What are discussing here now is GUN? Weapons to break Nigeria? South Sudan breakout from Sudan, but Everyone can see now that it was a very big mistake. We should not allow such a devastating incident to happen in Nigeria. South Sudan is going down by the day, do we want same to happen to Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by Nobody: 10:10am On Aug 03, 2016
MadCow1:

No its not, if you need a glock i know a police officer who can hook you up.

Trust me alot of guns are available, you just need to know who to ask

2 Likes

Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by Nobody: 10:11am On Aug 03, 2016
sesaan:

and now you are 60 without having a kitchen knife... when E start I no go borrow anybody my 7 AK12 , 34 M16 and 14 RPGs

Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by dillycool(f): 10:19am On Aug 03, 2016
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by Litmus: 11:28am On Aug 03, 2016
Folks are not studying the article and consequently are reacting as Nigerians always do,which is take all the responsibility for Africa's ills. The mere mention of one or two Nigerians suddenly makes Nigerians prostitutes of Europe;the Africans fleeing to Europe on boats; the Africans being killed by South Africans in xenophobic attacks; the African responsible for all the drugs flooding into Indonesia and Malaysia and so on and so forth, egwu!

The article is primarily in regards to the UN's concern about the proliferation of weapons from war-zones, which then spreads to other places creating more instability in the world, leading to increased poverty and undermining the UN's developmental goals. Nigeria as usual is the VICTIM! we are not the perpetrator. The article clearly points this out in the quote below:

“Nigerian is one of the countries that is experiencing some of the most devastating effects of the proliferation of SALW as a result of spillover effect of the recent crises in Libya, and Mali as well as unresolved internal conflicts in different parts of the country especially in the North East, Niger Delta and Southern regions.

the quotes in red is someone's mischief or the West's way of helping us to blame ourselves (take ownership of negativity)! The way Buhari took ownership of corruption from the rest of the world and centered it on our heads as Nigerians.
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by phobia2002: 12:03pm On Aug 03, 2016
Nigeria is 70% of west Africa, so what's the big deal
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by leofab(f): 12:07pm On Aug 03, 2016
Really ? They means every Nigerian home and abroad has atleast two illicit weapons? Make dem kwantinue...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by MIKOLOWISKA: 12:49pm On Aug 03, 2016
nwanna89:
Hian you're still waiting for permission to be robbed and raped.
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by MIKOLOWISKA: 12:50pm On Aug 03, 2016
dem de count cutlass ne cos e mean say we go each get 3 gun. beht I no see my own share o
Re: UN: Nigeria Accounts For 70% Of 500m Illicit Weapons In West Africa by Generalyemi(m): 1:06pm On Aug 03, 2016
Femich18:
Hmmmm... I Blame the SS and the SE for this, they promised to bring the economy to a Zero level as if Naxo e easy...Bunch of jobless youths fighting for their pockets...Boko boys are partly included, those ones are just group of brain-washed religious bigots.
May God help us in this country

for an AFONJAS to call a SE or SW youth,jobless n lazy...is "devilry"

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SARS/FSARS: Men Of The Nigerian Police Force, Why Do They Look So Scary(Photo) / Insecurity: Parents Remove Children From Kaduna, Niger Schools / Odd News: Father Sleeps With Daughter For Seven Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.