Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:58 AM

The Investigator. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Investigator. (476 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Investigator. by bezzus(f): 6:57am On Aug 03, 2016
this is my second story. I haven't edited it but I hope someone enjoys it. it's more of a fiction full of imagination thanks
The investigator

Prologue.
in a big Catholic church, The Choir, men and women were standing and singing a Coronach from a white file. The atmosphere is gloomy it was easy to note the catafalque and the coffin from the interior angle everyone watched as the candle placed round the coffin burns out. The bereaved sat in the front roll three young ladies and a boy sitting in the middle. The fairly older woman sitting beside them continued to cry with convulsive catching her breath. Her life is gradually getting empty nearly two Weeks she lost her husband. It was a gory experience she never wished to tell the police who had been looking into the case. She brought out the third white handkerchief wiping out tears from her arching and itching eyes.
For twenty eight years, she had lived with her husband. His sudden death left a huge vacuum she feels terrible about. Every one listen in sobering as the priest continued with the cortege. The old man putting on a dim eye glass wasn't the only one that had been grasping at the gold plated coffin. Many sympathizers could not stop but admire Fred's coffin. Some had forgotten why they came to the pay their last respect. Oga Sunday, Fred's gate man kept his eyes fixed at the coffin. He debated the worth of the coffin, fighting the different amount that came sharply to his head. He had worked with Fed for twenty years. He knew he select the best item in the store. Two weeks ago he visited the shopping mall with Fred. That wasn't his first time but it shocked Oga Sunday to the bone and he flustered at the price of the Hold wrist watch Fred meant to surprise his wife on valatine’s day. Sunny had rated Fred on high esteem. Lots of people do. He was rich, famous and influential most especially in the two big cities in Nigeria, Abuja and Lagos. Now, Sunny sees Fred the same as he is even worst. He was no expectation. But he concluded his thought knowing not everyone would be buried in a ground style with a golden coffin.

The Requiem ended and benediction was called. All sympathizers stood on their feet while they watch as the undertaker carried the closed coffin while the Cross cross-bearer was followed by members of the clergy carrying lighted candles. Three Priests walked immediately after them and the family and then friends of the deceased and others walked behind them all. The final burial ended at the Church cemetery where the remains of the Mr. Fred was finally laid. A small luncheon was held at one of the expensive hall in town. All these were not planned by the immediate family but Fred’s younger brother who felt the need to appreciate those who honored their invitation.

Chapter one
The table alarm went off. Tamara Badmus moved on the bed. She felt sleepy like crawling back into bed. Flash from the sun peep through her cotton, she moved to the other side of her Mattress shielding her eyes from the sun. She closed and opened her eyes again and again feeling drowsy. She groaned as she sat up from her bed yawing widely as she scowled and hopped out of bed. Her work had been onerous lately, she was not willing quick. Working with NCI had been her dream since she was ten. Back then, when all her family lived in Montana, her Godfather was a top officer at the Crime Information Bureau; A sector that served as a link to FBI. Grey was involved in the Computer Crime Sector particularly cyber crimes and terrorist attack. Though he never discussed his work with his family yet he was most times on the news each time underground terrorist sect was discovered.
Lots of times, Grey had escaped death narrowly. Twice he escaped bomb explosion. He had been short three times on his left arm. At a time when Grey ascends the peak of his career, his only son was kidnapped. Lucky for him, the FBI were able to track down Spence, he was a though drug dealer at the same time stealing money from different accounts. Grey was able to get hold of him with the help of his teams. Spence was able to escape with other hard criminals from the prison. He came out of the prison, tracked down Grey’s family for months; He was smart enough for Andrew to believe the flux and hoax. He got him kidnapped but the FBI was smarter. Andrew narrowly escaped death and it became a family war, Grey's wife filed for a divorce after her son was rescued. She filed for a law suit, Its either Grey retires or she leaves. His job had constantly acted as threat to her life and that of her children. That’s her alibi for wanting to part ways. She got the support of the jury. Everyone expected Grey to be sober but he was more cheerful than ever. He told his colleague at work that he was tired of commitment to any woman and he could give his children support they needed without anyone watching his late night time. .Those gruesome signals did not scare Tamara off her dream. She insisted on been an undercover agent. Everyone including Tamara's mother warned that the job was demanding yet she persistently ignored all comments to discourage her dreams.

Tamara got some strength into the bathroom, It's was almost the size of a Master bedroom. She quickly turned on the mixing valve from the shower. She had a cold shower with a bathing jell which filled the air with a prodigious fragrant. She was used to staying long in the bathroom but today was not like those usual days. It was past 7.am and she does not want to keep everyone standing for the proposed meeting. She took out a red fitted red T- Shirt from her wardrobe filled up with expensive shoes and clothes. She loved Armani but lately, she had changed into wearing Marc Jacobs. She dressed up wearing a light but attractive make up. Her brown blue pant matches well with the red Stilettos. She heard the sound of her stomach churned while searching for her ID card from her dressing table.
‘I am famished she grinned.’
She got sight of herself in a full length mirror preening if she had not missed any time out. Being a detective had not stopped her from being fashion freaked. She looked round to see that she left her room in perfect and tidy shape. She then descends from the stair into the dinner room to have her breakfast. Her mum and younger sister where already seating. above them is a Gold chandelier hung high up.

“Good morning mum…’’she flashed a smile wrapping her arms round her mum who
Gently sip coffee from a small mug.
Hello… she causally greeted her young sister Fara as she gave a wink. Fara waited hoping to hear her sister say something. She gawped at her as she took her seat

“I said it mum she always forgets. Fara grunted wiggling her eyebrows

‘‘What is it this time again?’’ Tamara scowled as she sat and the same time picked a piquant quiche on the stainless tray.
It’s there anything you remember aside from your work? You are such a freak

Tamara gawked at her sister ignoring her sullen expression; she took a bite of the quiche it taste great. I am resuming to my new office today… she whispered to break the silence.
‘‘I wish we don’t have to know about your ugly experience. Fara cut in sharply meaning to provoke augment. Their mum gave a warning look which made both of them called for silence.
She had barely nibbled the quiche when a miniature measure of nervousness ran through her spine wondering why Mr. Jide had suddenly called for a meeting on Thursday she gulped all the tea in the mug.

“Thanks mum... this breakfast taste good…but I am running late.” She stood up and bowed kissed her mum by the cheek. She then moved to her sister with a gently kiss on the forehead.
Fara watched as her sister exist the door. For months now, they haven’t been on easy terms. Tamara had issue with forgetting things more importantly important event about the people she cared about.
Two years back, when Fara graduated from college, the Tamara did not mark out the date on her calendar to make it down to New York. She also forgot to honor her first debut. It took much energy and late night practice for the show. 'WHOES GOT THE AMAZING VOICE". For so long Fara felt Tamara has been selfish noting there was no conviction that could make her accept Tamara attitude to forgetting things.
From aged three she attended Summer Music Camp, in California; A Cappella Academy. She also went to Manhattan School of Music in New York where she graduated with a 4.7 GPA. That didn’t count much as she had won two different awards with her group at the college. At the international Music Award, she did a duet with her Spanish boy friend Alex; they made it to the top final but where evicted. She had always made it to the final in all the shows yet the crown never fell on her. She was nominated for the Junior BET awards but never won the award. In all her sister’s shows from secondary to college, Tamara had never attended any of those shows and concert. Her job had always been on top priority. Fara and the rest of the family had accused her several times. The only one who couldn’t care less about all these was her father, Senator Badmus. He perfectly understood the task involved in Tamara’s job. He too is a very busy man with much social responsibilities.

As a cardiologist, in the hospital of Chicago, he thought one of his three children would have interest in medicine he was somewhat disappointed when none choose his path. He nevertheless imposed his will on his children. He had often appreciated their effort towards their studies. At least none came out with poor grade. Two years back the president offered him a ministerial post in Nigeria and he was working in the second tenure. He tried his best to make the medical sector favor the children and for his effort, the Nigeria Medical and Dental Association had benefited a lot. Olufemi Badmus made sure his three kids, Ife, Tamara and Fara had the best education any child could ever want. It's been three years his family moved back to stay with him in Nigeria yet Fara was the only one who abhor everything about her country.

She had little excuses to stay out of the country but lately she had been making contacts to start her music career in full length. She was good at playing piano and a good lyrics composer. Racial disparity had been a gap that poses challenges for her career in the US, though she had managed to create a good impression about herself. She composed songs for likes of Selena Gomez, Shawn Mendes; she featured with Maddies and Tae in their song “Why they’re Hot. She wanted more and the only way she believed she could do this is to get signed by a big record label
"I can’t... Believe Mara forgot my birthday mum... she is just too annoying

You… Know Tarmara have got lots she is thinking... Her mum tried to make excuse

“Are you trying to defend her seamy attitude? You know mum…Dad sent me message this morning and Ife too but you know Mara don’t love anyone but herself. She is just a selfish

“I know you are angry… but this is not the way to celebrate your day. Her mum ended with a smile and embraced her. Holding her palm tightly to hers she looked into Fara striking eyeball. Of course she knows her children well. Fara is usually a tough girl to please and for Tamara, she is a though lady to deal with. Most times she seems to get a clear excuse to escape her fault.

“Well…But I know what might cheer you up. Her mum managed to force out a smile from her angry face. She watched as her mum lifted up a small sized white envelop from the table. She stretched and handed the white envelop over to her.
What's in it? She asked curiously
Well... When you open it… she responded still holding up the smiling face.

Fara softly unsealed the envelop, the title of the letter head first infused a smile out of her already disturbed mind. She began to scan her eyes through the bold letterings letter. Mr. Lara Badmus noticed a palpable sense of happiness flowing through her daughter. For quiet sometimes now, she has been on happy. What she wanted was not just to be a famous musician she wanted to make a niche in the world. To impact and change the world through the power of lyrics and voice.

Oh…My God… You must be kidding me… She jumped over her mum almost knocking her to the ground.
I can believe this mum…You did this for me mum. Thanks so much mum.

I can believe it. I thought my singing career was going to end up being a pipe dream. I was a total jerk to the judge at that talent show in Atlanta… I thought no one will want to sign me in.

Never… are you great to be ignored… well… I sent three of your demos with your resume and they loved it.

‘Thanks mum… I love you. This is the best birthday gift ever… ever … she kissed her mum after which she ran into her room. Mr. Badamus love to see her children happy… she had always supported her children in the choice of their career.

Tamara drove through the streets buzzing with life and the passing cars. Within twenty minute she came into NCI compound. There were about five buildings in the massive compound. She checked up her make up from the front mirror gluing her lips together correcting her stained lips. She was right in time. 7:53. the meeting had been scheduled for 8.PM. She got down from her car, locked up the doors and step into the entrance door. She responded to the greeting from the hefty security man by the door. It has never happened in her four years working with the NCI; the elevator suddenly took a break from function. She had to use the stairs, by the time she reached the sixth floor, she was gasping for breath. She came into the large office used by the typist and the secretary. She was surprised with the welcoming smiles and clap. The large crowd comprising the entire Unit gave a big surprise. Two days back, she received a wonderful promotion for a job well done in napping a suspected cyber criminal who had existed for eleven years. Four friends who had made it in defrauding and blackmailing married women where eventual brought to book. Tamara never gave any of her colleagues her clue. She has her special way in getting to the root of any crime. Even the toughest trained at university of South Florida; she was the top of her class.
It was difficult getting into the FBI, when she return to Nigeria for a one year service, the Police offered her employment. She did not see herself manifesting with them. The opportunity to work with the NCI; National Crime Investigation came she hoped returning to America was the best choice. Lots of crime and the desire to get to the roots of it came. Though, few of those cases had been sweep under the carpet. Tamara had the desire to expose political crimes even if the corrupt government will used their power to overrule it.
"Congratulation’ ’ the crowd cheered into the air with a warm welcoming smile.

Oh... My God... She chortled; she wasn’t expecting any surprise of such. Everyone loved her at the office. Aside hard working, Tamara has a knack for making friends. Her team sprite made everyone at the office to find their way to mingle with her though she was the linchpin in getting hold of the toughest criminals in the country. The NCI had worked with the Police and the EFCC but their part of the government force had undercover. Their name is usually not mentioned to the public. Everyone just attribute credit to mostly the EFCC. The NCI are well equipped and funded by the American government and the country. They had successful hid most of their tricks in catching the notorious offenders from the police and the EFCC
...I can believe this... Thanks so much… this won’t have happened without my term members; Kizito, Grace, Tobe and Kemi. Pointing to them all

“…Well you deserve it…” Tobe mentioned and signed with a flashing smile. She hugged her term mates one by one also appreciating everyone. After few wine and dine every one returned to their offices to start the day’s work.
Tamara got a call from Mr Jide call last night. He called for important meeting and this morning. It was not only to surprise Tamara with a minor feast. For three months, the Police had been investigating Fred’s murder all effort had proved abortive. The case has now been handed over to the NCI for proper investigation. Fred’s wanted more and the Police wanted to prove their worth. They have sort a pact with the NCI to get the root of the bizarre

…..To be continued.

(1) (Reply)

The Greatest Story. / The Widow's Plight / Vengeance Is A Red Sea By Mr Possible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.