Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,308 members, 7,836,340 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

If Dogs Were As Large As Horses Would We Be Able To Ride Them? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / If Dogs Were As Large As Horses Would We Be Able To Ride Them? (550 Views)

Little Girls Laugh As They Ride On The Back Of Deadly Giant Python [Live Video] / You Scratch My Back And I'll Scratch Yours-funny Horses Compilation (video) / See What These Dogs Were Caught Doing(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

If Dogs Were As Large As Horses Would We Be Able To Ride Them? by BizLifeE: 8:22am On Aug 03, 2016
No.

A horse is only ridable to an extent. Early horses we only used to pull chariots because they had backs too fragile for a human to be on, and horses only slowly grew strong enough to carry a rider. Please note how the back generally stays straight while it’s running; it’s strong and can take a lot of pressure.

They’re still not adapted well to this; despite their strong bone structure befitting a huge animal that leads to a not that flexible spine more emphasizing shock absorbers for impacts through the hooves, we have a point of failure that can’t be looked over.

The hooves are adapted fused fingernails from one toe, and they have feeling in these. A horse can feel rough terrain or soft ground through its hooves, and navigate very well through odd spots this way. If you place extra pressure on its back, suddenly it’s being shoved down harder onto the ground. Rocks dig into the soft parts of the hoof that ordinarily NEVER touch the ground, or never do so with a lot of pressure. The hoof can crack. This is why we shoe them, which takes away feeling and therefore some of their natural adeptness at handling and intuiting odd terrain. We still have to alter a horse in order to ride it.

EDIT: please view the comment to my answer by Radigan Lander; I have misinformation here. I’ll leave this as is, since I believe the answer of ‘no’ is still correct.. but with far less of a gap than I’d previously thought.

A dog’s run is a series of leaps that require the spine to fluctuate a lot more. It has a weaker back by far than a horse does, because the vertebrae have to be more flexible. If you ride a dog you will break its back. Any problems with its sensitive feet and added pressure will never come into play; you’ll end up dealing with the fact a dog’s back will sag under the weight of a rider and it cannot do what a dog needs to do. The same goes for why we don’t ride lions.

We have dogs that can pull things in long teams, but we don’t use pack dogs. This is why. A dog’s back is a fragile thing because it needs this added flexibility to hunt and make quick turns, or twist around to take something down..22222

Source: https://www.quora.com/If-dogs-were-as-large-as-horses-would-we-be-able-to-ride-them

Neteller here: www..com.ng

(1) (Reply)

Man Who Named Pet Dog 'buhari' Names His Newly Born Daughter 'aisha'- Photo / You Scratch My Back And I'll Scratch Yours-funny Horses Compilation (video) / Cheap Lhasa Apso???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.