Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? (9812 Views)

Best Companies To Work For In Nigeria In 2018 - Jobberman / When You Work With Someone That Pilfers / Is Your Career Or Supervisor Holding Your Thesis Hostage? We Can Help You! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by cheekyleggy: 6:58am On Aug 04, 2016
If you have known poverty , your view would be different. If you know women who suffered in the hands of the men in their lives simply because they were not empowered, you would know why your mother made her choice. If you've seen women thrown out on the streets because their husbands died, you would understand that career choices can make a home.

Although a balance would need to be created so that the kids don't suffer. These things are not mutually exclusive.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by cutesimplycalm(f): 7:00am On Aug 04, 2016
I work for both however one must strike a balance btwn d two, one should nt be gaining more attention at d expense of d oda
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Genea(f): 7:03am On Aug 04, 2016
When you work for career, by the age of 65 when you retire that won't matter as much as wen u work for your family, at dah time all dah matters is you having a loving home and seeing your kids doing better than you and the love you share by going on vacations, them laughing a your silly Jokes and stories, giving u warm hugs and kisses and buying u all the nicest things from their heart... No money can buy that for u at dah age... Think wisely

2 Likes

Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by lonelydora: 7:05am On Aug 04, 2016
My wife works because I don't want her to stay at home not because of the money. I stopped her first job before we started having kids because the job almost turned her to a career lady. She was so deep with the job that our marriage was almost becoming a secondary thing. Thank God she realized and didn't make an issue out of it. Now, she works but puts marriage first. That's the real deal.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by GoldEnyong(m): 7:11am On Aug 04, 2016
...it's not even hard to choose. marriage can't come first only in Africa whose contribution to the world and to her own development is zero.
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Emeka71(m): 7:13am On Aug 04, 2016
The 2.
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Nobody: 7:19am On Aug 04, 2016
OP you are right about this being a deep issue because I always think about it. I know of people whose husbands' left them because they were too busy to care for their homes. To me both career and marriage are important.Sometimes, I feel like I have goals to reach in terms of my career but then I know that deep inside that marriage is more crucial. I don't mind making sacrifices to keep my home but I would expect my husband to be understanding. When I have kids,they would become the most important thing to me and I don't mind giving up the world for them. It takes times, patience and sacrifice to raise kids these days. I would try to have both but I think my home should be more important especially when children are involved. I am not saying I will become a full time house wife. What I am saying is that instead of working at a hospital, I will work at a school or part time instructor at a university

I also think it depends on the husband. If he is earning enough and isn't stingy towards his wife then it's easier to pick marriage over career.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by whitebeard(m): 7:22am On Aug 04, 2016
ask mr president if his career is more important than his marriage
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by theEYe21(f): 8:03am On Aug 04, 2016
Bisjosh:
Career

Because career will not wake up one day and say it's leaving u undecided lipsrsealed tongue
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 04, 2016
Marriage should be respected or it's better you don't get married when all you think as a woman is all about career leaving your duties as a wife and a mother, I've seen many homes broken due to inability to balance their career and marriage. It's an agreement that needs to be reached between the husband and wife if he wants her to work or betterstill take care of the home and he pays her monthly or weekly salary. Establish her with a shop where she can sell things while she watch over the kids and her home #mypoint

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 04, 2016
kfrosh:
I would say having a fulfilled life is all about learning how to create a balance between what the society want from you and what you really want for yourself. Ladies & Gents should create a balance between their career and family life. This might seem hard to achieve but that doesn't mean it's not achievable.

well said.
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 04, 2016
You are indeed a wife material madam, your view is so much appreciated by me. God make you a great woman in life. Amen
Contact17:
OP you are right about this being a deep issue because I always think about it. I know of people whose husbands' left them because they were too busy to care for their homes. To me both career and marriage are important.Sometimes, I feel like I have goals to reach in terms of my career but then I know that deep inside that marriage is more crucial. I don't mind making sacrifices to keep my home but I would expect my husband to be understanding. When I have kids,they would become the most important thing to me and I don't mind giving up the world for them. It takes times, patience and sacrifice to raise kids these days. I would try to have both but I think my home should be more important especially when children are involved. I am not saying I will become a full time house wife. What I am saying is that instead of working at a hospital, I will work at a school or part time instructor at a university

I also think it depends on the husband. If he is earning enough and isn't stingy towards his wife then it's easier to pick marriage over career.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by chiboy441(m): 8:28am On Aug 04, 2016
all of the above ... smiley
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Nobody: 8:31am On Aug 04, 2016
Contact17:

I see no reason why a man should be stingy....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by PresVA: 8:37am On Aug 04, 2016
steffans:
Marriage... Use 5 years giving birth to kids and go back to ur career...

It all depends on the couples arrangements..
So after the kids are born, they'll train themselves? You don't know real work begins after kids come?
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by KINGSZY: 8:47am On Aug 04, 2016
It at some point varies as per who is under consideration,for a young lady I think if you have the luck of finding a suitor on time you go for it have your 2-3 kids within a space of 5years depending on your choice and age though, but for the guys I have always known that the ideal age for marriage for the guys should be 30 and above I think by then you should have put your career in shape..
It is different strokes for different folks though
We all gots be very sceptical making those choices because it defines how happy we will be ever after.
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Nobody: 9:14am On Aug 04, 2016
Ferraricash:
Marriage should be respected or it's better you don't get married when all you think as a woman is all about career leaving your duties as a wife and a mother, I've seen many homes broken due to inability to balance their career and marriage. It's an agreement that needs to be reached between the husband and wife[b] if he wants her to work or betterstill take care of the home and he pays her monthly or weekly salary. Establish her with a shop where she can sell things while she watch over the kids and her home[/b] #mypoint

Strongly agree especially @ bolded!!

1 Like

Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by amokeme(f): 9:15am On Aug 04, 2016
For a woman,
You work towards the two... in my opinion, I don't see marriage as an obstacle to achieve anything you want. The problem is most people have tied starting a career/business to "after I graduate from the University" which is a very wrong mentality. Start something early and build it.. you don't have to wait till you graduate. The main point of having a career/business is to have money which should be the goal of every woman, at least be financially stable to a point (you don't necessarily need to have all the money in the world).
Before your husband finds you, what are you doing while waiting? The waiting period should be used productively to build your little empire.
Imagine a senario where a lady graduates at the age of 26, if she has the "ill finish sch before I start something mindset" that means she will be 27 before she start to "think" of the line to follow, and not forgetting the Nigerian factor, she will definitely have marriage on her mind (and unfortunately some will forget career and look for a man to marry them)
Now, imagine if she had started something when she was 22 or earlier, there is no way she will not be financially better.
In my own dictionary sef, If a woman or a man has nothing doing, then they both have no business thinking about marriage atall. Let's plan, plan and plan.
God gave ADAM a JOB before a WIFE...
And when BOAZ saw RUTH SHE WAS WORKING..
So what am I trying to say? As a man, have a career before getting a wife, and as a woman, have something doing and your husband will come and get you!

1 Like

Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by blackbeau1(f): 9:30am On Aug 04, 2016
It all depends on your goals in life. If what you want is a career, then that's more important to you. There's no right or wrong answer here
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by hyeeshat(f): 10:09am On Aug 04, 2016
Jainine:
Keeping a balance is all that is needed.

If you can't then you choose the one that matters most to you. You take career and pursue fully or take marriage commit fully.

Although I find the attitude of most African men towards a career woman very disgusting. A man wants to pursue his career fully and expect his wife to sacrifice. I believe It should be a combined effort. We are in the 21st century and we should act like enlightened people.
exactly just strike a balance btw both.
I can't leave any for any..
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Lordkylie(f): 10:09am On Aug 04, 2016
i'll pick my career first.To me career is not just my job,it's my vision,my life's and it's who i am.
It's important to find a balance tho if you can.
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by fpeter(f): 10:19am On Aug 04, 2016
Ultimately marriage is more important than career
However we can balance both, times have changed
Every couple or intending couples must realize this
You must work out plans for the future and how to manage
the home front especially when the kids start coming along
To sit at home as a full time wife is old fashioned. You can be
successful in your career and also very successful in your home
These days we have gadgets and technology to make things easier
One area shouldn't suffer for the other. The key word is Balance....
use the support of relatives and friends, employ a nanny if needed
save to buy important home appliances to assist you in daily chores etc
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Gerrard59(m): 10:28am On Aug 04, 2016
Ferraricash:
he pays her monthly or weekly salary. [/b]Establish her with a shop where she can sell things while she watch over the kids and her home[b] #mypoint

Say a lady with a very good degree in Law should resort to opening of "shop" so as to stay with her kids (when she isn't the only parent)?
Why do you think it's every lady out there that can be an entrepreneur talk less of opening of shop to sell things? How sustainable is it in today's economy where both parties have to be working to ensure a considerable standard of living? Where a standard private school fees is above 250K (depending on your location) a term. I hope you'd not come complaining about how you're overwhelmed with responsibilities when the going gets tough? Only if you're a Dangote or some investment banker.

A man is allowed to pursue his career, but a woman isn't. Nigerian women have suffered.
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Nobody: 10:49am On Aug 04, 2016
Your career won’t take care of you when you are sick, your family will.
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Aitee1: 10:51am On Aug 04, 2016
ChappyChase:
I go for carrie....
If matter bad too much, I go become baby Daddy!

I pray no woman agree to be a babymama for you, Amen!
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by chocodaviva(f): 10:56am On Aug 04, 2016
lielbree:
I love being married. If I lose my job I'll be hurt but if I lose my marriage I'll be devastated.

For me marriage comes first
u killed it dear
marriage is forever while career comes and goes cos even if u r d best right now in a chosen career, smbdy from nowhere at any time can beat ur record, swipe u off ur feet or get laid off without explanation.
work is always der and pple will 4ever work but marriage? #sighs# once it hits d rock dats all
besides marriage cnt wait for anything (its either u make it work or u leave it)
am nt saying don't work but u can choose a less career oriented job jus to support d family #myhomefirst#happiness##teamhappilymaried#bestkids#marriageovercareer#mythoughtmylife#

1 Like

Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by papiwyte(m): 11:06am On Aug 04, 2016
Career joor ....me and my career b like....

Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Ugosample(m): 11:07am On Aug 04, 2016
In my opinion, I think both can be achieved, maybe not at the same time, but it can be achieved.

But for this to be achieved, one needs the full support of the partner in working things out, and to cover any vacuum you may leave while you are out there pursuing what you are pursuing.

And besides, I think Family should come before career, as there is nothing to balance; Career has expiry date, but your family lasts even after you are gone.

But that does not mean that one (be it a man or a woman) cannot have a good career, and a stable family to be proud of.

#justsaying
Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Ugosample(m): 11:08am On Aug 04, 2016
cheekyleggy:
If you have known poverty , your view would be different. If you know women who suffered in the hands of the men in their lives simply because they were not empowered, you would know why your mother made her choice. If you've seen women thrown out on the streets because their husbands died, you would understand that career choices can make a home.

Although a balance would need to be created so that the kids don't suffer. These things are not mutually exclusive.

That's another angle to it, the psychology.....

You are right

1 Like

Re: Career Or Marriage, Which One Do You Work For? by Demmzy15(m): 12:00pm On Aug 04, 2016
lexiconkabir:

I see no reason why a man should be stingy....
Abi o, many don't know that whatever you do for your family is charity.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Nairalife Of A Struggling Creative Who Is Racing Against Time / Setting Up Law Firm In Nigeria / Tension In Michael Okpara Varsity As Prof Otunta Set To Sack More Than 400 Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.