Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

Changing Thermal Paste - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Changing Thermal Paste (2907 Views)

Gta V & FIFA 18 Unpacked,no Need To Install, Copy And Paste. Ipaja And Environs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Changing Thermal Paste by AKBliv010(m): 6:53pm On Aug 03, 2016
The method of changing thermal paste/thermal pads is the same whether it's on a CPU, graphic card or consoles. Thermal paste doesn't require changing often as these can last for many years, there is more heat build up due to dust/dirt that accumulates in the system than due to the degradation of the paste between heatsink and CPU/GPU.
Thermal paste should be changed anytime you remove the heatsink to make sure heat is transferred efficiently.

I usually replace mine every year partly as I maintain my gaming rig annually or if I'm bored as fvck! grin

What do yo need?
1. Thermal paste/pads (obviously lol)[ I've used Noctua Nt-H1 paste and Gelid 12mW/K pads]
2. 100% alcohol like Isopropanol (methylated spirit is fine which has 95% alcohol. Avoid nail varnish remover as that can leave residue having only upto 20% alcohol.... no use akpeteshie! your PC fit high!)
3. Cotton buds
4. Kitchen towels
5. Lint free material (cowboystudio?? Don't ask i bought them from China)

1 Share

Re: Changing Thermal Paste by AKBliv010(m): 7:04pm On Aug 03, 2016
Step 1: With kitchen towels remove the excess paste on the CPU/GPU core
Step 2 : As in the case of GPU's, use cotton buds to remove a bit more thermal paste you can't reach with kitchen towels.
Step 3: Wipe of remaining thermal paste with a cotton bud soaked in the cleaning agent, isopropanol in my case.
Step 4: With a lint-free materials remove any deris left over by the cotton buds, kind of a buff and shine.
Step 5: Reapply paste. I ten to use the X pattern, just a preference. Some people like to use a pea-size blob of paste but I find the spread of paste after using the X pattern works for me.
Step 6: Fit heatsink back on CPU/GPU.

I've also renewed the thermal pads on the VRM's. The thermal pads that come with any GPU can be reused if they haven't been damaged when removing the heatsink. Always have some spare available.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Changing Thermal Paste by ElMuizzi: 8:20am On Nov 19, 2016
Abeg bro is there anywhere to get thermal paste in Lagos?
Re: Changing Thermal Paste by henrydadon(m): 4:02pm On Nov 20, 2016
k
Re: Changing Thermal Paste by AKBliv010(m): 11:45pm On Nov 20, 2016
ElMuizzi:
Abeg bro is there anywhere to get thermal paste in Lagos?
I no dey Lagos o bro..sorry for the late reply.
Re: Changing Thermal Paste by Oothman(m): 3:17am On Apr 05, 2017
Bro, please where can i get thermal paste in Nigeria. I have an Acer 5739g Nvidia gt 240m cuda but i can't even play winning eleven on it.
Besides the cursor comes out through the other edge.
Re: Changing Thermal Paste by Tekaluku: 1:50pm On Jan 17, 2020
I have an Xbox one needing this thermal paste
service/replacement. How can you help?

(1) (Reply)

God Of War Ragnarok, Cod Modern Warfare 3, FC 24 +other Latest Games Ps5 & Ps4 / Is Psp 3004 Slim&lite Version 6.31 Hackable? / Analog Stick Vs D-pad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.