Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,300 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

Emergency At University Of Nigeria! Students Need Help! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Emergency At University Of Nigeria! Students Need Help! (602 Views)

Fire Outbreak At University Of Uyo Law Faculty Today (pics) / How Nigeria Students Do Their Own Budget Padding. / MTN Concert At University Of Ilorin; Few Students Show-up - See Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emergency At University Of Nigeria! Students Need Help! by Swizbank: 5:25am On Aug 04, 2016
This is to bring to the notice of the general
public, especially the federal govt. on the kind of
injustice that is being meted out on students of
University of Nigeria.

To cut the long story short. Last two months
students of Enugu campus of the university
embarked on a sit-at-home strike. They boycotted
lectures in protest of a total blackout and
unavailability of the school generator in the
campus. The school paid deaf ears to their
demands and the students were forced to do
rioting. In the bid, some school properties were
destroyed and the students were forced to vacate
the campus on 14th June, 2016, after spending
barely one month into the semester.
Now, the students have been recalled back to
school to start in 8th of August, but not with
some inhuman conditions.
The students have been billed by the school to
pay a compulsory reparation fee of 10,900 and
also get a sworn affidavit before Enugu high court
before they would allowed back to campus on 8th
of august.

As if that is not all, but the school went ahead to
cut short the learning time and face the students
with examinations immediately after resumption.
The students vacated the campus after just few
weeks into the semester and now they have been
mandated to resume on 8th August, and exam
starts on 15th august; just one week of lectures.
According to so many complaints coming here
and there, so many course have not been
introduced at all. And they are meant to write the
exam in a week time.

This is very inhuman from the administrative
block of the school. The reparation even though
its too exorbitant and the affidavit should be
enough. The students should be give a learning
time. Is it wrong for one to protest for his right?
Yes the students went violent, but that was after
one whole week of Peaceful approach, and
nothing was done to their demands. I want to ask
a question: If students should write exam for
what they were not taught, have the aim of
learning been achieved?
I know the aim of the whole thing is to fail the
students, that is outrightly wrong. Some will
definitely pass with shallow knowledge of the
subject. So how does that help the society?
Tomorrow the student will be blamed for not
knowing anything while they were not properly
coached.

I therefore call on higher authorities to kindly call
the admins of UNN to order and allow the
students a time to learn. The students have no mouth piece, the SUG has been suspended and even threatened with expulsion.

Cc: Ministry of education
Cc: NUC
Cc:Lalasticlala,Seun,Mynd44

http://www.unn.edu.ng/resumption-of-academic-activities-at-the-enugu-campus-of-the-university-of-nigeria/

Re: Emergency At University Of Nigeria! Students Need Help! by magabounce(m): 5:56am On Aug 04, 2016
This one is strong!!! Well, for every form of violent protest, there's always a price to pay. Especially if ure @ the mercy of the authorities.
Re: Emergency At University Of Nigeria! Students Need Help! by decode55(m): 6:08am On Aug 04, 2016
Keep quiet and face the consequences of your actions. Ever heard of "cause and effect"?

;-)
Re: Emergency At University Of Nigeria! Students Need Help! by Swizbank: 6:59am On Aug 04, 2016
decode55:
Keep quiet and face the consequences of your actions. Ever heard of "cause and effect"?

;-)
Hey! Common! Don't be too harsh. The story u heard was just summarised. If you get the full gist, you can't say that. The students went for their right.
The authorities have a larger portion of the blame. When i gott the news from my cousin, I was as you just reacted, but after getting the detail, I found out its never the fault of the students.

So if you don't have anybody there or not directly involved, keep quiet. Only he that wears the shoe, knows where it pinches most.
Re: Emergency At University Of Nigeria! Students Need Help! by Swizbank: 7:03am On Aug 04, 2016
magabounce:
This one is strong!!! Well, for every form of violent protest, there's always a price to pay. Especially if ure @ the mercy of the authorities.

They have paid reparation fee + affidavit. Isnt that enough price? Why deliberately failing the students?

I dont know why igbos keep being wicked to their own people. A Yoruba/hausa man won't act this, especially when his brothers are mostly involved.
Re: Emergency At University Of Nigeria! Students Need Help! by Swizbank: 8:25am On Aug 04, 2016
The admins of the forum I humbly plead that this post should be made more visible. Please. Let this students not suffer in silence.

(1) (Reply)

Bowen University Released 3rd Batch Admission List 2016/2017. / KADPOLY UTME/DE Admission Screening 2016/2017 Form Is Out. / Servicenow Professional Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.