Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,640 members, 7,820,247 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

A Little About The Ditrict 9 Movie. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / A Little About The Ditrict 9 Movie. (709 Views)

Guy With The City Movie Review: "Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2" Falls A Little Flat / A Little Help Pleasesome / Some Of The Many Reasons Why I Don't Like The District 9 Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Little About The Ditrict 9 Movie. by kay29000(m): 2:57am On Sep 22, 2009
I wrote an article on the district 9 movie, and when i saw that there was a thread on nairaland discussing the matter, i decided to start a new topic on the same matter, and post my article and have people comment on it.

So, this is my article below:

I saw the movie, district 9 yesterday, and i was not one bit happy about it. I am a Nigerian, and the insults, and the negative jabs Nigerians were subjected to in the movie is very unwelcoming.
First off, the movie is about aliens that landed in a city in South Africa, and they are then accommodated,and then later they are re-located because they were being destructive. That is what the movie is about, but the director used this is to pass a massage of what he really wanted to talk about, Apartheid. I will get to that latter.
My priority for writing this is to attack the director, and producers of that movie on all the derogatory terms that Nigeria was associated with in the movie. First of all, If you look at the African map, Nigeria is no where close to South Africa, so why are there so many Nigerians in the movie. Africa is not a country. Africa is not just a small community as all the Europeans and Americans think. It is big, with different people and different cultures.
Why would you shoot a movie in South Africa and portray Nigerians as PROSTITUTES, SCAM-MIST, THIEVES, AND TERRORIST. I know a few Nigerians have done things in the past related to this, but you should not generalize, and then put it in a movie for millions to watch, that can have a psychological effect on the young Nigerian youths. All that is to much derogatory terms for just one country. I don't think that should be allowed to be aired. There should be a body to fight situations like this.
Going back to what the movie is all about, Apartheid in South Africa. The director of the movie was very smart about hiding what he really wanted to talk about, so there are times that he portrayed the aliens as white people and there were times he portrayed them as blacks. But the main purpose was to relate what happened during the 60's in South Africa, without being criticized. That's why the aliens were shown as being moved to slums, while the humans lived in the main heart of the city. This is actually what happened in South African Apartheid, when black people, in their own country were not allowed to gain access to some regions of the country.

There are times in the movie that the white dude that played the major character would relate with the aliens(which are meant to symbolize black people), and then his other workers would just get violent and De-humanize the aliens(which are meant to symbolize black people). And there was time he was forced to use an alien as target practice, and he was very bitter about it. The director was just trying to show the general public, inflictions that were actually carried out on black south Africans during apartheid.
I agree the movie is a very creative effort, but why the attack on Nigerians?
This is just my first write up on the matter, i am still going to keep writing through different portals till something is done. I will not stop till the issue is addressed
Re: A Little About The Ditrict 9 Movie. by AjaraEwuro: 3:56am On Sep 22, 2009
The director will be a dead man in one year- wait and see.
Re: A Little About The Ditrict 9 Movie. by Rosabelle(f): 8:42am On Sep 22, 2009
@Poster. Theres a 24page thread running on this same topic and its been raging strong for days now. lol
Re: A Little About The Ditrict 9 Movie. by AjaraEwuro: 11:31am On Sep 22, 2009
Rosabelle

You obviously didnt read his comment b4 posting, you are repeating what he already said.
Re: A Little About The Ditrict 9 Movie. by Rosabelle(f): 11:32am On Sep 22, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

Rosabelle
You obviously didnt read his comment b4 posting, you are repeating what he already said.
I read his post, and repeated what he said delibrately; hence the lol.
Re: A Little About The Ditrict 9 Movie. by kay29000(m): 5:53pm On Sep 22, 2009
Thanks for all the comments, but i want more comments on some of the points i stressed in my post.
Thanks.
Re: A Little About The Ditrict 9 Movie. by Rosabelle(f): 5:59pm On Sep 22, 2009
Thats what I was pointing out. Theres a (now 25page) thread running on the same topic, so I guess people are saturated smiley

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Spelling Foundation / Free Video / Hello People: !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.