Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,819 members, 7,820,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? (18294 Views)

What Are The Qualifications For Applying For ACCA Or ICAN / Which To Choose Between NIMN, NIM Or ICAN / ICAN release the result of Nov 2016 diet result (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Sezua(m): 7:19am On Aug 06, 2016

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Jackter101(m): 7:20am On Aug 06, 2016
My advice to you will deviate a little from the topic. I understand your quest to get further education in the UK, but my own suggestion is this; have you thought of other countries that give you a chance to work after your masters? Rather than put all your eggs in one basket, which is returning to Nigeria, why not seek admission in countries like Canada and Australia. These countries, though cold in winter, offer you a chance to work once you get an education in their country. I believe trying these countries is a better use of the scarce FX.

Back to your question, I am a Canadian qualified professional Accountant and I can only speak about opportunities in this part of the world. I will say CFA is one of the most respected designations in our accounting/Finance line, but it is better for those who want to be Financial analysts.

Finally, whatever you decide, I wish you best of luck.

3 Likes

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by HybridMan: 7:22am On Aug 06, 2016
Bro do you know what it means to be a Charter Holder?....A level 11 CFA candidate is hot cake in Nigeria..

My advice..

Finish your ICAN first,look for a small size Audit firm and garner practical industry experience...

With your First class degree,ACA and about 2years Audit experience..You are potential fit into any Accounting department in any sector...

CFA is like a field on it own...If you have passion for investment banking,portfolio management etc you can go into it..I will advice you start only when you get good financial backing..

I will advice you also get a mentor..check linkedIn and connect with top guys in the industry for advice...You can even send Jarus an email I'm sure he will be willing to respond..

nijanigga:
Dude get your ICAN since you plan on coming to Nigeria, CFA may not the be marketable in Nigeria and with internet available you can still write CFA when you get back home, but get all the study materials in U.K Hope this helps, doing all with M.Sc won't be that easy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Herapal(m): 7:29am On Aug 06, 2016
MrTeeo:

Am an engineer preparing for ACCA
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by enyi225(m): 7:31am On Aug 06, 2016
my bro is into the same field and 4rm Wat he tells me, ican is key here.✊
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by godpunishthedev(f): 7:32am On Aug 06, 2016
[quote author=sugarlady post=48231828][/quote]

Go for ICAN, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria. This is the most widely recommended institute as regards to professional accountants. Success to you.
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Nobody: 7:32am On Aug 06, 2016
There are many factors to look into here. Obviously you would save money if you shelve ICAN for the meantime (by your calculations N100K instead of £1000), and you can always finish up when you get back home. Go for the CFA, and finish your Masters. When you come back to Nigeria, you can polish off your ICAN exams in quick time (you should be able to pass all the subjects in one sitting, ICAN is not really as difficult as ACCA), and you are good to go. In my opinion, as long as you plan to remain in Nigeria, writing ACCA is not going to be useful once you are ICAN qualified. And remember, they all attract yearly subscription fees and will require MCPE attendance.
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by yemosquare: 7:35am On Aug 06, 2016
It all depends on what your future ambition is. if it is to have job prospects both in Nigeria and outside Nigeria, I will advise you go for Msc in UK and CFA.

If you have these two, you will offers to choose from. Nigeria labour market is already saturated. Having international certifications will give you an edge and advances your career faster.

ICAN is limited. Even Students who are yet to graduate have ICAN.

I love your level of reasoning. You are considerate and well informed.

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by praisedinho10(m): 7:35am On Aug 06, 2016
ICAN bro...
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by idu1(m): 7:49am On Aug 06, 2016
BarryJones:
Good morning Nairalanders,
I am a graduate of accounting. I completed my accountancy degree in 2014, finishing first class. I completed my NYSC last October. I have searched for jobs to no avail. I actually did test and interviews with some companies, but am yet to receive an offer letter from any of them. For one of the big banks especially, I got to their documentation stage and heard nothing from them again. I even learnt that my contact person was sacked when banks were sacking. Her official email is no longer receiving emails.

Now to my main question:
Due to the fact that I couldn't secure a job, my parents decided I go to study for a masters degree in Accounting in the UK, starting in September. I am currently in the final level of my ICAN examination, with 5 papers left, which I plan to take 2 in November and 3 in May 2017 (ICAN has an exam centre in London). The University I will be going to offers an optional CFA level 1 route along side M.Sc. Accounting. But on a personal note, I find this very expensive to fund with the current Naira to Pound exchange rate (I don't want to overburden my parents- they have other dependants), and since I will be depending on my parents for my every needs. I will need to pay about 1500 pounds for the CFA 1 lectures to the university aside the CFA registration and exam fees. I will spend about 1000 pounds (as against approximately 100k if i was to write in in Nigeria) on ICAN in UK as exam fee and travel expense, since I plan to do self study.

My daddy is now suggesting that I forget ICAN for now and concentrate on doing CFA, because he will want me to come back with internationally recognized certificates to increase my job prospects on my return. But my own thought is that by the time I will be returning from UK, I will both be ICAN Chartered and hold a UK Masters degree. I tried to explain to him that from my little knowledge of CFA, it is a rather limited certification (I believe its mainly for Investment bankers, though I will still apply to Investment Banks when I return) unlike ICAN which gives broader prospects. I am of the opinion that assuming I return to Nigeria in October 2017, I can quickly register as an ACCA student, to have the ACCA in view on my CV, then I will also register as a CFA student, to have the CFA in view, on my CV. I believe that this can increase my chances of also entering Investment Banking. Instead of paying 1500 pounds for CFA lectures to my university, I am thinking it will be cheaper for me to come back to Nigeria first and pay lecture fees here in Naira. I have a passion for setting up businesses, to be self employed and provide jobs for people later on, but I really love to practice Accounting in this my youthful age, and then save up to start my own business.

Please I will appreciate advice from knowledgeable and experienced professionals. Should I heed my dads call?
mail this to jarushub. com for straight forward advise and guidance.

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by staymore: 7:50am On Aug 06, 2016
Did you study Accounting or Accountancy? If you studied Accountancy I advice you go for ICAN. Accounting is the process of becoming an accountant not a course. Always try and differentiate the two.
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by charming4: 7:54am On Aug 06, 2016
I'll advice you try and complete the ICAN now since you are almost through. CFA goes up to level 3 and it will take you an average 2 years to complete (level 3 exam is conducted once in a year). I don't know how long you still intend to stay in the UK.

But judging by quality and recognizability of each cert, CFA is more internationally accepted, diverse and relevant. That's like the peak of financial analysis certification (not Accounting major) for now.

Besides you can write CFA while you are back in Nigeria, although you have to always travel to Ghana for exams (no exam centre in Nigeria).
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Remmy2011(m): 7:57am On Aug 06, 2016
Brother,You are already on the last lap of ICAN,finish it because it comes handy for everything job here accounting spraking.CFA and MSC can be added and when you come back you will be better placed for job search,Do Your ACCA also if you can,but be careful of over qualification that you will naturally place yourself above normal and good jobs.I have a friend that has Phd in accounting ,FCA,ACIT and complained about employers being intimidated and seeing him as over qualified ,specialization shd come in,this jack of all trade and master of non is a problem,My two cents is with your degree,finish your ICAN and do your Msc,if there is funds do the CFA and ACCA too and after all these you still come back to job hunt as a green horn work wise......that's a mouth full.Just finish your ICAN and with MSC,you are good to go. Distraction and certificate crazy is a problem with us Nigerians.Do you really need to waste all these monies when your passion is entrepreneurship? Thinking,carry the money and add some amount and start something ,if u get all these and planning to come back to look for work ,haba.....think ....

Remi,Bsc.MBA.FCA

2 Likes

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by haibe(m): 7:57am On Aug 06, 2016
I feel u should finish ur ican or start Acca. CFA is good but for now finish ur ican and concentrate well. You can be a badass accountant with a very good knowledge of financial management and analysis if you do Acca.. cfa would only be important if u need to increase ur knowledge in financial analysis, which is different from accounting.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Nobody: 8:03am On Aug 06, 2016
You plan on heading into investment and financial analysis CFA is the way to go, I'll even prefer ACCA to ICAN
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by sweetilicious(f): 8:04am On Aug 06, 2016
NotNairalandi:
Ditto

Dear OP.
LETTER OF NOTIFICATION
We the members of board of trustee are not interested in what you want to do or what you dont want to do with ICAN and CFA certificate.

the question we want to ask you on behalf of our president NLDER.Seun Osewa is;

(1) did any of the company or bank you applied for a job told you that they only employe those with ICAN or international certificate?(we are not discouraging you anyway)

(2)etc.

Now on behalf of our Sec.Gen. NLDER.Lalasclala.we advise you to ;

(1)finish up with your ICAN program.

(2)follow your dreams one on a bit.dont try to put all your fingers inside your mouth at a go.

(3)draft your plan according to your scale of prefference for easy actualization of you goals.

(4)etc

Signed
Management
06/08/2016
Good. The final stage needs him to focus more. Op, you can set up a business with target for some months too. Just take it bit by bit. Am looking forward to my ICAN skills level exams too. But hey, you don't need to be idle.Find something doing that will give you much experience too.

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by goldtube(m): 8:04am On Aug 06, 2016
so now is 180 still the general cutoff mark for both uni and poly
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Emeka99(m): 8:07am On Aug 06, 2016
MrTeeo:

Am an engineer preparing for ACCA
How did u do it. pls I need information and guidance.currently a 300L student in one of Nigeria's Unis
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Nobody: 8:25am On Aug 06, 2016
Here is my advise, if you want to work in a Bank, in a finance house then CFA is your bit. if you want to do what other accountants do, then ICAN, but I can you from experience, most finance organisation would drop a thumbs up for you for CFA than ICAN.
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by AdexOmoby(f): 8:39am On Aug 06, 2016
BarryJones:
I am a graduate of accounting. I completed my accountancy degree in 2014, finishing first class. I completed my NYSC last October. I have searched for jobs to no avail. I actually did test and interviews with some companies, but am yet to receive an offer letter from any of them. For one of the big banks especially, I got to their documentation stage and heard nothing from them again. I even learnt that my contact person was sacked when banks were sacking. Her official email is no longer receiving emails.

Now to my main question:
Due to the fact that I couldn't secure a job, my parents decided I go to study for a masters degree in Accounting in the UK, starting in September. I am currently in the final level of my ICAN examination, with 5 papers left, which I plan to take 2 in November and 3 in May 2017 (ICAN has an exam centre in London). The University I will be going to offers an optional CFA level 1 route along side M.Sc. Accounting. But on a personal note, I find this very expensive to fund with the current Naira to Pound exchange rate (I don't want to overburden my parents- they have other dependants), and since I will be depending on my parents for my every needs. I will need to pay about 1500 pounds for the CFA 1 lectures to the university aside the CFA registration and exam fees. I will spend about 1000 pounds (as against approximately 100k if i was to write in in Nigeria) on ICAN in UK as exam fee and travel expense, since I plan to do self study.

My daddy is now suggesting that I forget ICAN for now and concentrate on doing CFA, because he will want me to come back with internationally recognized certificates to increase my job prospects on my return. But my own thought is that by the time I will be returning from UK, I will both be ICAN Chartered and hold a UK Masters degree. I tried to explain to him that from my little knowledge of CFA, it is a rather limited certification (I believe its mainly for Investment bankers, though I will still apply to Investment Banks when I return) unlike ICAN which gives broader prospects. I am of the opinion that assuming I return to Nigeria in October 2017, I can quickly register as an ACCA student, to have the ACCA in view on my CV, then I will also register as a CFA student, to have the CFA in view, on my CV. I believe that this can increase my chances of also entering Investment Banking. Instead of paying 1500 pounds for CFA lectures to my university, I am thinking it will be cheaper for me to come back to Nigeria first and pay lecture fees here in Naira. I have a passion for setting up businesses, to be self employed and provide jobs for people later on, but I really love to practice Accounting in this my youthful age, and then save up to start my own business.

Please I will appreciate advice from knowledgeable and experienced professionals. Should I heed my dads call?

This is my own opinion. You're almost done with ICAN. I'd suggest you DON'T forget it. I undertook my Masters in England and I know that you can go for the January academic session. You don't have to choose a school that offers admission only for September 2016. Look for schools for January 2017...and make plans to start then.

If that's the case, undertake the remaining ICAN exams you've got in November. You have for examinations in May 2017 right? I think you can book a return ticket to write the second badge of exams in May 2017 (You may have to bear this cost though). I am suggesting this route because it's better to finish what you've started than starting a new thing altogether. Except you can run both.

About the CFA in England. That's great. Since your parents would be sponsoring you, take route that also. But remember that you'd not be able to finish the membership route while in UK. This is because you'd need to come back home after your visa expires. CFA is up to three levels or more. The UK embassy would not permit you to stay a day after your visa expires. Your University would alert the embassy that you're done who would thereafter specifically request to know when you're leaving. (except you get a job which is extremely difficult. The new rule says you must even return to your country and apply for a Teir 2 visa). Secondly, there are no more post study visas given to International students. Hence I don't advise you abandoning your ICAN because by the time you're back to Nigeria, you'll still need to continue your ICAN examinations which you should have completed a long time ago. My belief is that whatever you'd still do later, ensure you see it to the finish end.

If this works well, you'd be coming back with Your Msc, you're ICAN certification, your CFA in view and your ACCA in view.

And you're right: CFA is limited. If you'd be coming back to Nigeria, you need qualifications that align with the country of your work. There's no point having CFA since you're not be working in England and like you said it doesn't align with your career prospects. It okay tostart it though, but ensure you don't abandon your ICAN.

Finally, your dad wants the best for you. Rather than argue with him or trying to make him see your point which would mean disobeying his order or thinking him to be stupid, just book a return ticket to come back in May 2017 to write your last badge of ICAN examinations. Ensure you choose a school that offers admission for January 2017. My school did.

I wish you all the best bro. Should you decide you want us to discuss further, please send be a mail on omobyadex@yahoo.com.

Have a lovely weekend.

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by KhorePlus(m): 8:48am On Aug 06, 2016
[quote author=sugarlady post=48231828][/quote]
I rather advise you follow your heart and pursue it passionately. I am a Chartered Accountant and I must be sincere there're loads of Chartered Accountants outta there that ain't got good jobs and on this premise I'd rather advise that you specialize with the CFA certification it might give you an edge above others if eventually you're taking up paid job. Though, there's a premise that you're in your final stage of ICAN, and it is also as good as being passed with the way I read through you, even with part-qualification of ICAN, you can still get a very good job with the right connection and it's quite a pity that the rich also cry. But my dear, your future is as rightly projected 'Self Employment'
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Emeka71(m): 9:05am On Aug 06, 2016
BarryJones:

Now to my main question:

Finish your ICAN 1st.
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by missade(f): 9:18am On Aug 06, 2016
Since you are almost done with ICAN, I'd suggest you complete it. However, CFA is baba for accounting and it's extremely relevant. It is pricy and could take a couple of years to complete but totally worth it.
I believe it will certainly open doors for you as very few have it, even my boss is currently on it.

Remember its not cheap!
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by dotun365: 9:28am On Aug 06, 2016
If your parents are not complaining about the fees, a foreign degree is a huge plus trust me. The CFA is quite expensive but it is globally recognized and respected all over the world. My advice would be for you to go for the MSC and start the CFA then you can finish the Ican anytime you come back
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by ttmacoy: 10:04am On Aug 06, 2016
Firstly I wouldn't advice studying for a masters in accounting as it is quite restrictive and adds little value, if your aim is to work as an accountant then either ICAN or ACCA would add more value. My advice would be to study for a masters in finance or a mix of accounting and finance instead as this opens up more doors for you.

Re CFA or ICAN, they are two different qualifications with different career paths so you need to figure out what you want to do first. CFA is a qualification for those looking to go into asset management, portfolio management etc while ICAN is for those pursuing the career path of chartered accountancy. Two distinct career paths so you need to decide based on your end point.

If your father is keen about you having an international certificate, a better comparison would be ICAN v ACCA or CIMA not CFA.

BarryJones:

Now to my main question:

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by girl4rmspace(f): 10:07am On Aug 06, 2016
nmreports:
Even a day old chicken knows it's ICAN.

By extension, if your parents are not complaining, do it all in the UK. MSC, CFA, ACCA but focus in the ICAN certification because that's all what matters here in Nigeria.

tc, listen to this guy
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by iamyet: 10:17am On Aug 06, 2016
Two things....

1. Nothing like CFA in view, you either have it or you dnt!!!

2. Am worried about your exchange rate calculation, is 1pound = 100naira in ur village?

Extra: who is that ignoramus saying all you need is Internet to do CFA exam? Cant ppl just shut up when they dnt know what they are talking about?
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by jydeskill1(m): 10:43am On Aug 06, 2016
Bros go and face ur masters and CFA. U will get a better offer when u come back. Most ACA are still struggling to pass CFA here in Nigeria.
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 06, 2016
BarryJones:

Now to my main question:

Congratulations on your results .
My recommendation is that you should finish your ICAN, apply for Audit division of any of the big four (pWc, KPMg, Deloitte or E&Y). If you can prove your worth (not in terms of academic prowess but in term of creativity, coordination, intelligence and emotional / adaptability) you would surely get in.
They recruit yearly you can check them up.

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by philiemekanweme: 11:45am On Aug 06, 2016
It seems you are in UK at the moment schooling.If that is so please have my honest advice to complete your education, go for ACCA ,obtain it and the M.Sc attached therein, and then go for the CFA,which is a more internationally recognised professional qualification, and after all these , you acquire the Nigerian ICAN , to crown it all , so that you can be ready for local and international job offers. thi is the way to go. I wish you all the best.
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Nobody: 11:46am On Aug 06, 2016
Madam, finish ur ICAN, get the ICAN certificate, then ull need to just do like 4papers in ACCA and you get an ACCA certification also. How can u just shelve all ur ICAN exams uve passed & start ACCA (14 papers) from scratch? ACCA has a top-up process for ICAN certificate holders, so its better to go dt route. You can use ACCA in almost every country on earth, unlike ICAN. Its also more prestigious than the ICAN in getting accounting, finance or audit jobs in Nigeria.

Concerning CFA, dt is another story. CFA is NOT accounting, its financial analysis. It is very expensive & extremely hard. I know partners in audit firms abroad dt even fail the 1st exam & never passed it. My brother just got his CFA certification. Its just 3 exams (3 difficult exams). He works for an investment bank in the USA as a financial analyst. Hes basically a whiz kid with a 1st class & 2 masters, but even he failed the 2nd exam before eventually passing it. If ur pursuing a career in accounting & want to be a finance director - go through the ACCA or CIMA route. If u want to be a financial analyst and work in an investment bank, then do the CFA. And please if ur pursuing a CFA, hope ur not planning on working for a naija investment bank. You will be hot cake in a financial centre like new york, london or tokyo. You cant waste dt certification on a naija salary.

Also note that there are very few CFA certified analysts in the world - not up to 150,000. Compare that to millions of chattered accountants (ACCA/CIMA/ICAN/CPA holders). Chartered accountancy and chartered financial analysts are very different exams focused on different fields.

3 Likes

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by mostob(m): 12:07pm On Aug 06, 2016
nawa o all dis just to get an employment in nigeria.why not obtain ur ican cert. Here and look 4 job over dia.just my thought.even if you manage to get a job here,there is no guarantee of regu lar salary.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

May Day: Lecturers, Doctors, Others To Benefit From Pay Rise, Says FG / How To Easily Manipulate Your Way To The Top At Your Workplace:Johnspeak Uwangue / Oladayo Timothy, MD Ressortir Global Denies Gideon Okoli's Claims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.