Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,323 members, 7,815,629 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

US Teenager Wins The First Gold Medal At The 2016 Rio Olympics (photo) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / US Teenager Wins The First Gold Medal At The 2016 Rio Olympics (photo) (508 Views)

Usain Bolt Stripped Off Olympic Gold Medal / Top 15 Blunders Of The 2016 Olympics with Pictures…#1 Is Horrific / Usain Bolt Retains His 100m Gold Medal At Rio Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Teenager Wins The First Gold Medal At The 2016 Rio Olympics (photo) by LifeDrama: 10:48am On Aug 07, 2016
Ginny Thrasher has won the first gold medal of the Rio games by edging out Chinese veterans Du Li and Yi Siling in Women’s 10m air rifle.

Virginia Thrasher, a 19-year-old West Virginia University sophomore, won the women's 10-meter air rifle event on Saturday morning at the Olympic Shooting Center in Rio's Deodoro neighborhood, edging out silver medalist Du Li of China.

Thrasher finished with a final score of 208, a full point ahead of Li. Yi Siling bowed out in third place at 185.4. This is the first time an American has medaled in the 10m air rifle event since Nancy Johnson won gold in the 2000 Olympics in Sydney.

In an interview with the Associated Press, Thrasher said, "This is beyond my wildest dreams. I knew it was a realistic expectation for me to get into the finals and once you get into the finals, anything can happen. For me, this year has been incredible."

The West Virginia native burst onto the competitive shooting scene in 2015 when she took home five medals at the USA Shooting National Championships.

As a freshman at West Virginia University, Thrasher led the Mountaineers to their 18th NCAA team rifle championship, and also won individual titles in smallbore and air rifle

Source: http://lifedrama.com.ng/us-teenager-wins-the-first-gold-medal-at-the-2016-rio-olympics-photo/

Re: US Teenager Wins The First Gold Medal At The 2016 Rio Olympics (photo) by favourmic(m): 11:05am On Aug 07, 2016
Hmmm
Re: US Teenager Wins The First Gold Medal At The 2016 Rio Olympics (photo) by malikombi(m): 11:12am On Aug 07, 2016
Crucify me if US did not cart away most of the gold medal in Rio.... ...better organized set of people.

BTW, may God bless Nigeria more nd in abundance
Re: US Teenager Wins The First Gold Medal At The 2016 Rio Olympics (photo) by Gmajor(m): 11:23am On Aug 07, 2016
Its not only our economy thats in dire need for diversification. We should learn other sports too

(1) (Reply)

Aruna Quadri Qualify For Round 4 Of T/tennis Singles In Rio / Bet Of The Day For 16th August 2016 / UEFA Champions League Group Stage Draw Unveiled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.