Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Rant: Nobody Owes Us Anything. Over entitlement is over bearing - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Rant: Nobody Owes Us Anything. Over entitlement is over bearing (609 Views)

6 Things The World Owes To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rant: Nobody Owes Us Anything. Over entitlement is over bearing by DivaFiva: 12:11pm On Aug 07, 2016
By "us", I mean "you".
Long read but probably it's worth it.

Believe it or not, I have noticed that as a people, we need to address our sense of entitlement.
Yes, I'm generalizing and of course not everyone is but it pays to be aware so you too can check yourself. I can boldly say that sense of entitlement is ingrained in our way of life but the truth is no one owes us anything.

On a personal level: Some of us, especially our ladies, feel overly entitled to another person's wealth...just because they sleep with them. If the person doesn't oblige, the story changes to "He used me". Please, what makes her and a prostitute any different? It's sad really.

The older we get, we typically expect younger people to "worship" our words or deed and in the same breathe expect to never be challenged as being wrong. Ever. It's in schools, family structure and even class structure. "Am I your mate?" has become a widely used phrase to intimidate and shut younger people who question our actions.

I saw a church poster on Linda's blog and the pastor clearly stated in his flyer about praying against evil forces that make " rich relatives" hold out on his "potential client". Imagine the impetus. I can't imagine anyone more narcissistic and riddled with entitlement complex than anyone who actually believe that rich relatives owe him or her a dime.

Most families, not all, encourage this by making it harder for our girls to leave home after graduating from university. They mostly leave when they get married thus making the poor guy pick off from where they left off.
Also, an overwhelming number of men and ladies in their mid to late twenties still depend on their parents and hardly are they socially discouraged.

Another aspect of our lives this entitlement is transferred to is our parents encouraging us to study Medicine, Law or (Petrolreum)Engineering as a means to get ahead in life. While this might work for a hand full of people, most of them us will probably not use the university education we get to survive because our government cannot give us all jobs! *gasps* I know, I'm shocked too. Especially when we think we all deserve to be "people in life". You'd be surprised how life as any of those professions mentioned can be frustrating without a true passion for it.

Believe me, I know our government na kpansh but most of us don't even know where taxes are paid but we raise our voices to demand being better taken care of by the government.

Did I also mention that "white men" also don't owe us (as a nation) anything. We need to do better to remand the respect we crave and not the respect we think we deserve as "Giant of Africa".

You too don't owe anyone anything. Not your parents, not your friends because think about it you get to live with the outcome of your decisions...so, don't live to please them.

lalasticlala
Re: Rant: Nobody Owes Us Anything. Over entitlement is over bearing by yomi007k(m): 12:41pm On Aug 07, 2016
Tru yarns

(1) (Reply)

Obi Of Onitsha Absolves Buhari From Economic Woes / A Seven Months Old Tiger Presented To The Oba Of Benin / Satan Does Not Exist, It Is Just An Error Of Interpretation Of Torah.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.