Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,546 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? (8208 Views)

Benue, Kogi, Plateau Pay Civil Servants High Despite Poor Revenue / FG Slashes Civil Servants' Salaries Weeks Before Christmas Pix / FG Slashes November Salaries, Civil Servants Cry Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by nochio(m): 6:41am On Aug 08, 2016
Be specific, don't assume all civil servants do that.
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Nobody: 6:48am On Aug 08, 2016
Work chop...nigeria as a whole needs restructuring
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by davit: 6:53am On Aug 08, 2016
NairaMaster1:
Because salary alone is not enough. But ask the civil servants close to your areas for clarification

I beg to disagree with you on this. If salary is not enough then they should look elsewhere for a better salary.

The ones I even hate most is that of the security guys at the gates. They want to you to settle them before they do their duties. What is this country becoming! This is seriously appalling OP. To make the matter worse, SERVICOM that should checkmate this is also part of the problem!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by egopersonified(f): 6:57am On Aug 08, 2016
I don't have an issue with civil servants like you do though I have to meet with staff of govt agencies and ministries regularly. My own problem is the private sector junior workers, someone always wants something from you.
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 08, 2016
I am as frustrated as you are. The situation is worse with SUBEB and local govt. officials. The irony is that those not taking kickbacks among them are happier and good looking, while the 'sharp' ones are sickly and without peace of mind. The consequences are with them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 08, 2016
Civil Service is the bedrock of corruption in Nigeria.

Working in the civil service, I can boldly tell you this: corruption at the grassroots far outweighs that at the top, it's like a pyramid or a foodchain. That's why when Buhari says he is fighting corruption simply by hounding top politicians, i just laugh. He hasn't even scratched the surface of corruption.
Fighting corruption has to do with systems and orientation. Somehow, GEJ was getting it right when he wanted to use scientific methods, though he also got many things wrong.
Corruption is here to stay.
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by DonBenny77(m): 7:00am On Aug 08, 2016
my friend go n b a civil servant n lets see how you fare?
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by nonjebose(m): 7:17am On Aug 08, 2016
Dabigbroda:

@OP, first of all don't generalise. You sound so frustrated, if you were not lucky to come in contact with the good ones stop using a blanket description. Some civil servants are corrupt, but stop making it look like good ones are not in the service...

I can bet the op that at a point in time he came in contact with the good civil servants, but because nothing was demanded from him he could not acknowledge that. Now that he will part with some cash it is now a national problem.....

The last time I checked, agencies like ICPC and public complains Commission are still working...
While I agree with you that generalization is totally wrong, I think it is incorrect to say the Op did not acknowledge the good ones just because nothing was demanded from him.
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by nonjebose(m): 7:19am On Aug 08, 2016
Dabigbroda:

@OP, first of all don't generalise. You sound so frustrated, if you were not lucky to come in contact with the good ones stop using a blanket description. Some civil servants are corrupt, but stop making it look like good ones are not in the service...

I can bet the op that at a point in time he came in contact with the good civil servants, but because nothing was demanded from him he could not acknowledge that. Now that he will part with some cash it is now a national problem.....

The last time I checked, agencies like ICPC and public complains Commission are still working...
While I agree with you that generalization is totally wrong, I think it is incorrect to say the Op did not acknowledge the good ones just because nothing was demanded from him. He has freely expressed social malaise that even ICPC and PCC can not handle

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by Ifebazz(m): 7:22am On Aug 08, 2016
Go to Delta state, you'll know the difference between kickbacks and bribes. They negotiate percentages of your money sef.
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by vickylala239: 7:22am On Aug 08, 2016
ItuExchange:
I’m tired of these so-called civil servants in all public offices: local, state and federal levels.

When they perform their normal duties, which they’re being paid for, and for which they’re employed, they still expect helpless citizens to give them tips, gifts, and kickbacks. Why?

If you got to tax office to perform your duty as a loyal Nigerian, the officials there would be looking forward to get something extra from you, for doing what’s normally required of them. The same is true of passport offices, driver’s license offices, marriage registries, plus other agencies. Some, like marriage registries, even standardize this illegal things to the extent that, you can’t get anything official done through them, unless they get what they want. Why?

You pay money for services from civil servants, and they expect you to give something on top of the payment. In most cases, what you give on top of the payment is more than the official fees?

If you don’t do this, your case/matter gets buried or you’re frustrated with “Come tomorrow, and come tomorrow again.”

If their salary can’t sustain them, why can’t they resign? What’s their job, and why are they employed in the first place? Are they doing favor to the public by performing their required responsibilities?

And these are the people that point accusing fingers at politicians.

Why are we so warped in mind in Nigeria? What’s wrong with us?

- Contributed

Op I think their pay is too small...

Some of them have kids..

Some of the remit this to their boss....

Op I think Wat you u shuld cry over is to increase their pay...

Op if u were not asked to tip them you Wuldnt Hv cum here to condemn them....if u were asked to pay ur usual free, u probably wuldnt Hv open a thread and praise them...

Life is funny,does who don't ask for tips are not appreciated.....

I once went to one of this govt agency to do my wrk, I usually tip and go my way....this particular day I met a man shouting and arguing..... that is not going to pay a kobo to bribe anyone..do you knw @ that point Ppl ignore him and face other Ppl n wrk for them,the man stood There for hours... eventually agreed to pay the tips,wen he discovered that Evn the boss Jst ignore and pass him by...

He ended up paying more than the tips......

To me ohh,you can Jst tip and go ur way,someone Lik me I Dnt Lik delay.....even wen I was in skool I culd see queue of clearance,I will Jst go tip do my tin and go....
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by maasoap(m): 7:24am On Aug 08, 2016
Even in the hospital, they request for it, not the doctors though.
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by vickylala239: 7:30am On Aug 08, 2016
klap4gbens:
I am as frustrated as you are. The situation is worse with SUBEB and local govt. officials. The irony is that those not taking kickbacks among them are happier and good looking, while the 'sharp' ones are sickly and without peace of mind. The consequences are with them.

I think you wrong....

Kickbacks are sometime given to their boss... to you, you feel the do not,but they do....

If You c a thief and you Dnt discourage him or ha,or you Dnt do anything abt it then you are a thief...

I heard some of them are paid 10k a month,if this is true I support the kickback....

Hv u Eva ask yourself,is d boss not aware of this,or is d boss not corrupt too.....

Sometimes d boss my not demand anything from u,if ur wrong is 10naria work,your appearance too.....if u appear to cheap d boss will not, xcept d small salary earners....
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by vickylala239: 7:32am On Aug 08, 2016
maasoap:
Even in the hospital, they request for it, not the doctors though.

That is because doctors are well paid,then the under paid need your tips
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by DeRay98(m): 7:34am On Aug 08, 2016
NairaMaster1:
Because salary alone is not enough. But ask the civil servants close to your areas for clarification

Lame excuse, if the salary is not enough resign, go and do business and make millions. angry
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by nonjebose(m): 7:35am On Aug 08, 2016
vickylala239:

Some of them have kids..

Op if u were not asked to tip them you Wuldnt Hv cum here to condemn them....if u were asked to pay ur usual free, u probably wuldnt Hv open a thread and praise them...

I once went to one of this govt agency to do my wrk, I usually tip and go my way....this particular day I met a man shouting and arguing..... that is not going to pay a kobo to bribe anyone..do you knw @ that point Ppl ignore him and face other Ppl n wrk for them,the man stood There for hours... eventually agreed to pay the tips,wen he discovered that Evn the boss Jst ignore and pass him by...

To me ohh,you can Jst tip and go ur way,someone Lik me I Dnt Lik delay.....even wen I was in skool I culd see queue of clearance,I will Jst go tip do my tin and go....

I like your honest confession. I guess you abhor queues even in banking halls and elsewhere. So tipping comes naturally. It gets the job done unfortunately. The less priviledged bear the brunt
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by maasoap(m): 7:37am On Aug 08, 2016
vickylala239:

Some of them have kids..

Your comment is a absolute crap, you didn't make any sense. When people demand money from you before doing their job, is that what you called tips? That ain't tips, that's extortion, corruption. Don't get yourself confused.
You even said that it has to do with their poor salary and op should go on the streets canvassing increment in their salary as if that will do the magic. I don't know why you guys like making excuses for the ills of our society.
The man you talked about, the one that refused to bribe, the one that refused to be extorted, is the kind of people we need to make this country have some sense of sanity, not people like you who thrives on bribe taking, forced extortion. Like you didn't know the salary scale before you took up the job.
Has it ever occurred to you that most of the people you and your likes extort don't even have jobs at all? I bet it, you never thought about that.
The bolded part actually revealed your orientation about life! What if everyone you met on the queue decided to tip and jump the queue? Your type would never be allowed to jump the queue wherever I'm on such queue, you want die? I've seen policemen, civil defence corps, even soldier joined the queue before the cashiers would call them to come forward.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by bawz012(m): 7:39am On Aug 08, 2016
Dabigbroda:

fine

we don hear.

whether the good ones are few or bla bla bla

Did OP lie?

Is it not true?

Even the good ones cannot epp you when u r stuck on the bad ones..

abeg leave tory.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by martineverest(m): 7:41am On Aug 08, 2016
NairaMaster1:
thats not an excuse.if salary isnt enough,then,then should get another job....most civil servants are well paid.its just greed and lack of contention

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by nonjebose(m): 7:42am On Aug 08, 2016
vickylala239:

That is because doctors are well paid,then the under paid need your tips
But I think they should not be so abrasive about it. The nurses are something else. I went for treatment recently, and was placed on injection. The nurse demanded for tip after I have payed heavily for the treatment. I had to agree seeing her with the menacing needle aimed at my innocent bum. I no fit shout
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by vickylala239: 7:43am On Aug 08, 2016
maasoap:

Your comment is a absolute crap, you didn't make any sense. When people demand money from you before doing their job, is that what you called tips? That ain't tips, that's extortion, corruption. Don't get yourself confused.
You even said that it has to do with their poor salary and op should on the streets canvassing increment in their salary as if that will do the magic. I don't know why you guys like making excuses for the ills of our society.
The man you talked about, the one that refused to bribe, that one that refused to be extorted, is the kind of people we need to make this country have some sense of sanity, not people like you who thrives on bribe taking, forced extortion. Like you didn't know the salary scale before you took up the job.
Has it ever occurred to you that most of the people you and your likes extort don't even have jobs at all?

Bros we are not fighting....

The true is this.....corruption has cum to stay and we are only xpressing our view....

This are things u cnt stop.....Jst as u cnt stop police bribe.....

You claim that's d Ppl you need,Evn in govt skool that is free,children are still asked to pay...

Mayb wen u enter hospital with critical condition person,you will knw life is precious than tips...

Some of us shouting corruption, paid for expo but in jamb,wasc and uni... here we are today shouting bribe......

God help us....
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by seunakin231(m): 7:45am On Aug 08, 2016
Ezechinwa:
because PlayStation 4 is the father of Microsoft and is wace headmaster, mosquito and spiderman are licking my milk and bonvita.. Osogbo weed mixed with groundnut oil is very nice on kickass badoo.. Nairaland password is Snake
Hmmmmmmm I suspect Oshogbo weed....
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by martineverest(m): 7:47am On Aug 08, 2016
egopersonified:
I don't have an issue with civil servants like you do though I have to meet with staff of govt agencies and ministries regularly. My own problem is the private sector junior workers, someone always wants something from you.
thats another serious issue,especially in the bank
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by delishpot: 7:48am On Aug 08, 2016
Because the government allows it. They are not monitored and properly dealth with. It is seen as hussling and dividend of democracy . This trend is a national disease which even goes on in our airports
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by armadeo(m): 7:48am On Aug 08, 2016
Dude any office you go to its expected from the gateman to the Secretary

1 Like

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by eagleeye2: 7:49am On Aug 08, 2016
Na untop minimum wage and fuel at 145 you want make them survive
On top Buhari economy and budget padding you want to get honest services from civil service
Next time no give kickback, and follow due process, but no come complain of how slow things are done in the civil service.

I am not endorsing corruption, but rather facing the reality.
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by vickylala239: 7:52am On Aug 08, 2016
nonjebose:
I like your honest confession. I guess you abhor queues even in banking halls and elsewhere. So tipping comes naturally. It gets the job done unfortunately. The less priviledged bear the brunt

Evn the less privilege as you say....to me I feel There is how you talk to someone and u do want you wanna do n go....

Bt if you stand There and start asking, 200naria for Wat. Hv I not paid all d dues...you will get burnt....

Bt let's be honest to yourself,will you see someone who is willing to pay 2k for a work and den u den go n wrk for someone who wnt it free.....

I Dnt knw weda to call myself corrupt,Bt Lik in bank wat I do is if am to withdraw after withdraw I culd tip 200naria or mre.....with Dat anytym I enter my wrk is done while I sit n wait.....

Am not saying Cuz I Hv too much money,am only consider some tips, compared to wasting tym...Cuz if u compared tym wasted and Wat u shuld Hv gotten during d tym ,s mre Dan d tips.....
Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by maasoap(m): 7:54am On Aug 08, 2016
vickylala239:

Bros we are not fighting....

The true is this.....corruption has cum to stay and we are only xpressing our view....

This are things u cnt stop.....Jst as u cnt stop police bribe.....

You claim that's d Ppl you need,Evn in govt skool that is free,children are still asked to pay...

Mayb wen u enter hospital with critical condition person,you will knw life is precious than tips...

Some of us shouting corruption, paid for expo but in jamb,wasc and uni... here we are today shouting bribe......

God help us....
Some of you might have resigned to fate, accept the defeat and embrace corruption with open hands, not my headache. But when you said that people shouldn't complain or they too should see themselves as helpless and comply, then I can pick fight with you. What if you don't have extra money and you know these have no compassion at all.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by DeRay98(m): 7:54am On Aug 08, 2016
echelons:
Not just civil servants. All institutions that have lose monitoring and control.
There's this conoil filling station at Area 1 Round About in Abuja, anytime you want buy fuel in kegs for generator, the attendants always insists that you'll give them additional money from N150 if not they won't sell to you. They will even tell you to go and meet their manager.
It's sad because that's how businesses die without the owners knowing it. Employees killing business because of greed.

its not necessarily all, but its very broad, a huge majority are into it. Whenever there is a new oga at the top, things appear to improve. if you go to such offices, at such times, they do the right thing but once they new Oga has settled down their old habits creeps back into action.
Civil service is the bedrock of the Corruption in Nigeria, they influence new ministers and other govt appointees on how to exploit the system and they share the loot. At the lowest level, they treat as if they are doing you a favour and you MUST " appreciate" them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by DonMekino(m): 7:56am On Aug 08, 2016
tips should be optional...smth of appreciation for a job well done...but wat op means is dis forced extortion. I think many of us Nigerians hv finally accepted such as normal and dats y sm ppl are even supporting it.
let me say dis...sm civil servants are even wealthier dan d ppl they extort from...so poor salary isn't d issue...its just pure greed and not been satisfied with wat u hv. I knw its hard to stop but let's acknowledge dat it is wrong and has no basis for supporting such unwholesome act

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by maasoap(m): 7:57am On Aug 08, 2016
vickylala239:

Evn the less privilege as you say....to me I feel There is how you talk to someone and u do want you wanna do n go....

Bt if you stand There and start asking, 200naria for Wat. Hv I not paid all d dues...you will get burnt....

Bt let's be honest to yourself,will you see someone who is willing to pay 2k for a work and den u den go n wrk for someone who wnt it free.....

I Dnt knw weda to call myself corrupt,Bt Lik in bank wat I do is if am to withdraw after withdraw I culd tip 200naria or mre.....with Dat anytym I enter my wrk is done while I sit n wait.....

Am not saying Cuz I Hv too much money,am only consider some tips, compared to wasting tym...Cuz if u compared tym wasted and Wat u shuld Hv gotten during d tym ,s mre Dan d tips.....
Will you stop this crap, pls?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Civil Servants Expect Kickbacks For Doing Their Normal Jobs? by eagleeye2: 8:03am On Aug 08, 2016
How can different state Government owe workers 3,4,5,6 months salary and you expect the civil servant not to find a way to survive?
on NL we laud Buhari and APC, clap for Fayose and PDP, but we never stop to ask if their fighting and policies are for the common man
Men I use to believe in not asking for bribe and kickbacks, but now if you give me I will collect.
The most annoying thing about people like the OP, is that they will never want to follow the due process.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case / Is It Advisable For A Fresh Graduate To Take A Job Of 5000 Naira Per Month? / Beneficiaries Of 2014 Nigerian Civil Defense Promotion Still Receiving Old Pay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.