Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,159 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:59 AM

How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls (4479 Views)

You Can Make Calls Without Buying Airtime. / 5 Mistakes You Make While Charging Your Phone / LATEST: Get Up To N10,000 Airtime To Make Calls To Any Network On Your Mtn Line! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by webgenius234(m): 3:52am On Aug 08, 2016
This is otherwise known as spoofing and it is found to be surprisingly easier to do than how it sounds.

In the past, phone hackers trying to mask a phone number behind someone else's used fairly complex hardware called "orange boxes," but now anyone can use simple solutions like Spoofcard, which allows users to purchase credits towards call time used in a simple smartphone app.

With Spoofcard, users input the number they want to call, and what number they want displayed on the other end — initiating an untraceable call that leaves the other person only seeing the spoofed caller ID.

For a hacker trying to gain access to someone's online accounts, spoofing the call number is just step one in a social engineering play to convince a customer service representative they are legitimate.
Surprisingly, spoofing phone numbers isn't necessarily illegal — though the test example from Clark certainly would be. The FCC only prohibits someone from using a misleading caller ID number if their intent is to defraud, cause harm, or obtain anything of value. That means someone who wants to maintain their privacy or prank call a friend would be in the clear.

But there is plenty of misuse in the world of spoofing. The tactic has been used in the past by "swatters" who call police to report hostage crisis hoaxes, so armed police respond at an unsuspecting victim's door. It's even been used to break into people's voicemail boxes, which often do not require a password if called from the phone number associated with it.

While Spoofcard may be easy to use, the service told The Wall Street Journal in 2010 it frowned upon illegal usage and often complied with law enforcement requests, including subpoenas from the NSA. The company told Tech Insider that in cases where it's being used for illegal activity, "we can close accounts if they are found to be in violation of our terms of service."

It is however advised to be used at users' discretion and legitimately.

http://www.naijaict.com/2016/08/how-to-display-different-number-when.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by mannobi(m): 4:59am On Aug 08, 2016
Ọmọ this one na another food for naijas scammars o
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by ekefre4(m): 6:06am On Aug 08, 2016
Following
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by danaiks(m): 6:16am On Aug 08, 2016
Looks interesting. I have to try it out!!
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by SPG4U(m): 6:49am On Aug 08, 2016
And how we fit get the spoofcard
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by Heryorh: 7:01am On Aug 08, 2016
following
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by blessedvisky(m): 7:19am On Aug 08, 2016
Cool. Gimme Seun number. Don't ask me why grin
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by eunisam: 8:21am On Aug 08, 2016
not useful at the moment!
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by Stuntkid172(m): 9:03am On Aug 08, 2016
where is my laptop.

biz Don start ooo
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by Nobody: 9:07am On Aug 08, 2016
What a nice way to confront cheating partners. Lol
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by constance500: 9:30am On Aug 08, 2016
AnonyNymous:
What a nice way to confront cheating partners. Lol

See where your brain first lead you to. Smh
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by iamkingzlee(m): 11:12am On Aug 08, 2016
Interesting!!
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by citiwatchng: 11:18am On Aug 08, 2016
I CANNOT RETURN TO PDP OR POLITICS – OBASANJO
Obasanjo:“PDP is gasping for breath,” Ex-President dismisses return

The ex-Chairman, Board of Trustee (BoT) of PDP referred to the members of PDP, who came to greet him during his meeting as ‘invaders and gate-crashers’.

Ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo has dismissed claims that he attended a meeting with the members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) ahead of the party’s convention.
http://www.citiwatchng.com/2016/08/07/i-cannot-return-to-pdp-or-politics-obasanjo/
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by rattlesnake(m): 12:38pm On Aug 08, 2016
EP.....Enemy offffffffffffffff
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by Wizpa(m): 1:36pm On Aug 08, 2016
Good afternoon fam...

Any PayWithCapture user in the house...

Please I need opinions concerning the app...

All comments relating to the app are welcome...

Thanks.
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by Stormyweather(m): 6:48am On Aug 10, 2016
Wizpa:
Good afternoon fam...
Thanks.
I use it but not as frequent as every month
Re: How To Display A Different Number When You Make Calls by Voice234: 6:32am On Aug 29, 2016
Wizpa:
Good afternoon fam...

Thanks.
This is a very unreliable app everyone, putting your money here, is you playing with your money and business if you. Are a business man. Sent money and for four days the beneficiary is yet to get credited and when I called after three days, they said they don't know how long it will take, that I should just hold on...... that I will be contacted when it's resolved. Access bank has really captured my money. PaywithCAPTURE

(1) (Reply)

Next Android Version After 8.0 Oreo To Be Released In Coming Weeks / Latest Oppo Phones in Nigeria and their specifications - 2020 / "Tecno L5, Move Out Of The Way" || Oukitel K10000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.