Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,314 members, 7,836,362 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

3276reliance's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 3276reliance's Profile / 3276reliance's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (of 4 pages)

Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 12:59pm On Aug 01, 2016
Let's start by going through the four main components of a solar system.

The solar panel to generate power,

The charge controller to regulate the power going into the battery.

The battery to store power and

The inverter to provide ac for household use.

Taking a 100 watts for our setup. When you check the voltage rating as written at the back, you will see that its actually not 12 volts, there usually are two volt ratings, the first in the region of 18 volts. You will see another one which is 22V. (22 VOC). Don't bother yourself with the later for now, let's just focus on the 18V. (Vmp). The mp stand for maximum power. Apart from voltage you also see your amps rating. You need to multiply volts by amps to arrive at your 100 watts

You will be wondering why we are charging a 12v system with a panel rated at 18v. The truth about charging is that you need a higher voltage panel to charge the battery, even a fully charged battery is higher than 12V.
Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 12:36pm On Aug 01, 2016
This tutorial is going to be basic, we are going to try to set up a 12 volt solar system. Once you fully digest and understand this stage, the rest will come to you gradually, if you open your mind to it.
Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 12:00am On Aug 01, 2016
Some people's panels are even oversized, yet they still complain. Its always not about how many panels you have, what is most important is getting as much current as available into the battery or battery bank. I used the word 'critical', because that's what it is. That is where you can succeed or fail with your setup. If something is not right between module alignment to cable sizing to charge controller, that means battery will suffer from proper charging. For example, I saw an installation in Abeokuta with about 12 modules, the roof angle was followed instead of a simple improvisation, the question is, must you always install based on rooftop angle, come to think of it, who says the roof is ALWAYS the best place for solar panels. If you have space on your property, the roof is the last place I will recommend, more on that and rack later.
Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 11:53pm On Jul 31, 2016
If your setup is large, like schools, hospitals big offices or big houses, this is not for you, stick with your installer or get a better one if you're not pleased with the present one. As there are teribble people who call themselves installers, so there are VERY good ones even on nairaland. I have read comments by some of these, and i believe they know their stuff and very experienced. You can however come along on this thread to learn more. But if yours has between 100 and 1000 watts of panels, and you feel disappointed by the result you're getting, come on, let's help you get the best out of the sun. Or if you're just planning to invest, lucky you!
Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 11:39pm On Jul 31, 2016
From many expressed disappointments I have read on nairaland, I come to conclude that the dos and don'ts about batteries (which is critical to the success of a renewable energy) are not spelt out to users.

I read somewhere a supposedly experienced 'installer' confessed that he did not tell his client the truth because the cost will be high and he might lose the job. Funny isn't it.
Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 11:27pm On Jul 31, 2016
Another thing about this 'complete package' trick is pricing, most are way too expensive, plus they don't point out you can build your required solar need over time. What I mean is, if you require say 4 kWh per day at a cost of #400,000 (pls note that I'm not giving a quote, just an example), they don't tell you you can start with half or less of that money and build gradually until you reach your required kWh. They like to cash in all at once
Nairaland / General / Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 11:07pm On Jul 31, 2016
I have looked and searched for informations on companies and other outlets that offer solar components for sale. One thing is common with ALL of them, they want to sell you a 'complete package'. E.g 3kva inverter, charge controller, 4 batteries and 8 solar panels for a fixed amount.

There is nothing wrong in selling a package for those who have the money to buy everything at once, what is wrong is lack of information on each of the above listed components. Another thing I found out, is that they don't promote D.I.Y, no matter how small your application is, they want to send an installer which usually mean separate charges. The worst part is that most so-called installers, especially on nairaland know very little, solar installation goes beyond being able to identify positive from negative, yet so simple if you put your mind to it. Get the calculation right, I tell you a person with just 200 Watts panel can enjoy solar better that the person with double the capacity but with faulty calculation. This is where I want to help people interested in D.I.Y. ( Do It Yourself)

1 Like

Technology Market / Re: LiFePO4 Battery Packs and Cells With Chargers For Sale by 3276reliance: 9:43am On Jul 27, 2016
generalstingz:

Thanks for the question. Will list the answers according to your question sir.Here are the details:
1.40Ah 12V
2.480WH
3.12V ( @ 0.2C discharge )
4. Standard discharge current 20A ( 0.2C)
5. Maximum discharge current 40A ( @1.0C discharge )
Hope have been able to answer your questions Sir?

Hello there, I have read through this and other thread, but I notice you've been asked twice here if the batteries are new, you have not responded.

1 Like

Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 7:35am On Jul 27, 2016
emmaeny:
Hello sir
I want to install this pump
Pls WhatsApp me on 08155555860

WhatsApp and call
Technology Market / Re: Exchange Rates Of International Currencies >>>Updates on First Page<<< by 3276reliance: 9:37am On Jul 25, 2016
macphilip:
Buy, sell Neteller, Perfect Money USD in Nigeria
Call 08144333114

At what rate do you sell neteller?.
Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 10:12am On Jul 24, 2016
Make preparations now if you're planning to use your water for dry season planting. I may not be as free then as I am now as I'm also planning on vegetable production after the rain. I hope someone will not later say I'm making 'yanga'.
Sports / Re: Does Anyone Know Where I Can Get This Locally by 3276reliance: 3:17pm On Jul 21, 2016
1acre:
iponri....shoppimg complex area.

Thanks so much, you're blessed.
Technology Market / Re: Does Anyone Know Where I Can Get This Locally? by 3276reliance: 1:46pm On Jul 21, 2016
bigtt76:
Are these not Cue Balls? used for Pool table games? If yes then you can get them at most game stores located within Malls here in Nigeria undecided

Yes, they are used for games but I don't know if they are called cue balls. They maybe looking bigger in the picture, so let me quickly describe their seizes. Between 14mm and 25mm or more. The large ones are just about a table tennis ball. They usually come in different beautiful colors. I hope its the one you are talking about, thank you so much.
Sports / Does Anyone Know Where I Can Get This Locally by 3276reliance: 1:32pm On Jul 21, 2016
I will appreciate if anyone can tell me where to get this stuff, its called glass marble, children often play with it but I need it for a project . Thank you

Gaming / Does Anyone Know Where I Can Get This Locally by 3276reliance: 1:00pm On Jul 21, 2016
I will appreciate if anyone can tell me where to get this stuff, its called glass marble, children often play with it but I need it for a project . Thank you

Technology Market / Does Anyone Know Where I Can Get This Locally? by 3276reliance: 12:31pm On Jul 21, 2016
I will appreciate if anyone can tell me where to get this stuff, its called glass marble, children often use it to play. I need it for a project, thank you.

Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 12:21pm On Jul 15, 2016
Use ram pump and homemade hand pumps to pump water from your stream or well for free. Let's help you get the right pump for your application

1 Like

Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 7:08am On Jul 11, 2016
Don't wait until the dry season set in, start planning now.
Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 3:26pm On Jul 08, 2016
So if you have a farmland on lease with water, make efforts to buy outright, if you own one, maximize the potentials.

I have to say this, I AM NOT A LAND AGENT. There are a lot of agents on nairaland. My primary reason here is to share as far as I can, how farmers can get the best out of the water resources they have. I'm not just going to be fixing things, I'm going to be teaching. DIY is the idea.

WhatsApp and call

2 Likes

Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 11:56am On Jul 08, 2016
Pls do not mix these two types of pumps with the ram pump I started with, THAT REQUIRES NOTHING TO RUN BY ITSELF AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A FLOWING STREAM.

I only bring up these other options because somebody suggested I should. Thanks for your understanding.

1 Like

Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 11:50am On Jul 08, 2016
The other thing I like to bring to notice is the fact that there are other pumps for non moving water like swamp or well. Can anyone remember the type of water politicians provided before borehole took over?. Where you push a handle up and down. Yorubas call it kangadero. With a few PVC pipe, that's done. If you like pumping to be automatic, running by itself, one solar panel, a gear DC motor is all we need to add.

As for a swamp, a pump that works like a treadle pump can be built. I think I saw a treadle pump being sold for 40k, but with just about 5k or less worth of material, a more durable all PVC can be built. If you want this to also run by itself, we apply the same as with well pump

2 Likes 1 Share

Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 11:47am On Jul 08, 2016
T
Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 12:53pm On Jul 07, 2016
Iranoladun:
Kudos to you Op!
You're on your way to become a big time water pump installer! Keep increasing your knowledge and zeal to help farmers. God bless you cool

GrammarNazi:
This has been a very informative thread so far.
Kudos to you OP; please keep up the good work. We're following keenly. I for one, would like something that wouldn't always require fuel or electricity to pump water in my farm. Would Hit you up on whatsapp.
Cheers!!!

Thank you for your kind words, I'm always available on WhatsApp.
Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 12:06pm On Jul 07, 2016
If you are familiar with how a pump works and can't see how a selection of rigid plumbing material would pump water, I'd say you are right because there can't be water pumping without some mechanical movements. What does the magic with the speed of incoming water and gravity is one of the one way brass valve. Its also called a flapper valve or swing check valve. When you are buying, just call it a non return valve, they don't know it with other names here.

When you get one, look inside, you will see a flapper that opens or shots depending on how you hold it. That is the heart of the whole setup. The little thing will continue to pound away for days, weeks and months, in fact for as long as your stream keep running
Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 11:14am On Jul 07, 2016
Happy Sallah to everyone.

Let's start by listing the parts for the ram pump. It will amaze you its 100% plumbing material.

1. T (2) pieces
2. 90 degree elbow female/male (1) piece
3. Short nip-ple (4) pieces
4. Brass non return valve (2) pieces
5. Reducing bushing (1) piece.
6. Union (1) piece
7. 3" 2.5mm or 3mm PVC pipe. (2 to 3 foot long)
8. 3" PVC cap (1) piece
9. PVC coupler (1)
10. PVC reducer from 3" pipe to the size you choose for the main body. (1)
11. Shot off valve. (2) one would be half the size of the other

For nos 1,2,3,5 and 6, you can use PVC, but I prefer galvanized steel.
Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 12:26pm On Jul 06, 2016
I wrote 'pump or move water' because sometimes we waste money on pumping water we could easily have moved without a pump.

Let me give you an example, I saw a fish farm that is on a gentle slope down to a valley. Earth digging is the pond type. They use pump to put in water which is fine, but they still use the same pump to release the water which is wrong. A simple syphon effect is what they need to get the water out since there is a slope far lower than the level of the pond. When you put a 50 liters of petrol on top of your car and use a hose to draw the fuel into the tank, that is a syphon. The difference is that you will be dealing with bigger pipes which you will not be able to prime with your mouth. All you need is a shot off valve at one end and a one way valve at the other with a T in between to prime. The water will move out the same way fuel move from the container into your car

3 Likes

Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 10:48am On Jul 06, 2016
I will be assisting anyone who needs assistance not only about building and installing this pump, but also about other DIY ways of pumping or moving water without the use of electricity or fuel powered pump.

1 Like

Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 7:33am On May 03, 2016
I thank everyone who have shown interest through calls and WhatsApp. As much as I agree its not a very good time to introduce the pump, (raining season), any farmer who wishes to take advantage of water resources around them can start planning now. I wish everyone a good harvest.

1 Like

Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 10:58am On Apr 25, 2016
Praktikals:

My phone memory is faulty, I would have love to share some videos with you.

Thanks man, do you have one in your farm?. The first time I learned about this pump I was amazed. I met an Australian in Ghana last year, we got talking after I helped him out with a simple networking solution. He told me about his farm back home and this pump. Because I had always wanted to go into farming, I took great interest and asked a lot of questions. I googled "nairaland ram pump" to see the level of awareness but I all I could see was PC and phone ram threads. ( A lot of thanks to Mr Seun and crew for this beautiful forum). As you will agree, I needed to familiarize myself with numbers, calculations and ways to get the best out of the pump before I could come out with it. Just like you get free electricity from sun, you get free water from this pump. Its all physics and nature.
Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 7:23am On Apr 25, 2016
ifeomagodwin75:
Please send the video to my WhatsApp, 08037249282

It not going through WhatsApp, don't know why. Thanks for the interest.
Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 6:51pm On Apr 24, 2016
Praktikals:
Yea boss, its called a ram pump

Good that someone knows it, a lot won't believe it does work
Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 12:46pm On Apr 24, 2016
I don't know why the video is not going through WhatsApp, click this link to see it via YouTube. Pls let me know if you can view it. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DEK6Y4uiAc&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DEK6Y4uiAc

I hope one of the links work, I'm doing YouTube upload for the first.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (of 4 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.