Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,425 members, 7,836,696 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

3276reliance's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 3276reliance's Profile / 3276reliance's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (of 4 pages)

Technology Market / Re: Scuit: Shop & Ship From China, USA, Dubai & UK (Express, Cargo & Shipping) by 3276reliance: 10:05pm On Sep 10, 2016
Hello, pls how much will two (2) pieces of this item cost to get here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00835PCQ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472629672&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=brass%2Bswing%2Bcheck%2Bvalve&dpPl=1&dpID=513c3CQWTJL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1
Business / Re: Who Wants To Go Completely Offgrid? by 3276reliance: 5:06pm On Aug 30, 2016
I'm sorry to say this, please don't contact to ask if I'm SURE hydro electricity works. Let me assure you here once that it DOES work. The kanji dam is about water producing electricity, if that can work for Nigeria, the stream near you can also produce electricity. There are special hydro generator for personal use which are in the market just as solar panels are. I'm sure a lot would have said solar would not produce electricity before it was brought into the country.

I have come to also see that some people are looking for cheap information. If my knowledge is going to be tapped, I need to be aware!

Also, the best way to start is to know EXACTLY what you intend to power. The beauty about this setup is that you can do with less numbers of battery as you can generate electricity 24/7
Investment / Re: Who Wants To Go Completely Offgrid? by 3276reliance: 4:51pm On Aug 30, 2016
I'm sorry to say this, please don't contact to ask if I'm SURE hydro electricity works. Let me assure you here once that it DOES work. The kanji dam is about water producing electricity, if that can work for Nigeria, the stream near you can also produce electricity. There are special hydro generator for personal use which are in the market just as solar panels are. I'm sure a lot would have said solar would not produce electricity before it was brought into the country.

I have come to also see that some people are looking for cheap information. If my knowledge is going to be tapped, I need to be aware!

Also, the best way to start is to know EXACTLY what you intend to power. The beauty about this setup is that you can do with less numbers of battery as you can generate electricity 24/7
Properties / Re: Who Wants To Go Completely Offgrid? by 3276reliance: 4:35pm On Aug 30, 2016

Agriculture / Re: Who Wants To Go Completely Offgrid? by 3276reliance: 4:26pm On Aug 30, 2016
I'm sorry to say this, please don't contact to keep asking if I'm SURE hydro electricity works. Let me assure you here once that it DOES work. The kanji dam is about water producing electricity, if that can work for Nigeria, the stream near you can also produce electricity. There are special hydro generator for personal use which are in the market just as solar panels are. I'm sure a lot would have said solar would not produce electricity before it was brought into the country.

Also, the best way to start is to know EXACTLY what you intend to power. The beauty about this setup is that you can do with less numbers of batteries as you can generate electricity 24/7. Thank for looking in.

1 Like

Science/Technology / Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by 3276reliance: 5:05pm On Aug 20, 2016
We have to thank people who take their time to educate us. Yes, fence and ground should be first considered for PV mount, while keeping the cables out of direct sunlight, all these help keep the temperature at better level, which is the main culprit for solar inefficiency.

The PTC ( PVUSA Test Condition) rating is lower than the STC (Standard Test Conditions) rating, but shows PV output better, closer to real world solar climatic conditions.

I'm more of a practical person, but I don't ignore important issues like this, that's why I have been able to narrow the gap in my knowledge over the years

At the end, what is important is to be able to identify what is best for your location and situation.

We can only try grin

1 Like

Science/Technology / Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by 3276reliance: 12:13pm On Aug 18, 2016
darocha1:

Hi bro, its a forum. different people with their own understanding but pls easy with your words.
thanks man

Can you highlight the exact word you mean sir, waiting to apologize.
Science/Technology / Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by 3276reliance: 12:06pm On Aug 18, 2016
Depending on the load I guess 50% of the PV power is used directly and 50% is stored?!
[/quote]

That's on the assumption that he drains down his batteries and needs them fully recharged daily. If he has a 50% draw, then yes the batteries would get charged faster and would be happier on days with lower sunlight.
I think its a perfect match. I'll leave the experts to talk. [/quote]

Let me tell you who I am not, I AM NOT WHAT YOU CALL GURU. But I know what I know. I will NEVER advise anyone to push their batteries below 50%. So if you wake up with half the capacity of these 2 batteries, pls tell me why you need 1000 watts panels to push 2400 watts back into the batteries considering all these inefficiencies..

I have read several posts here and elsewhere from many of you like Chris81964 and co where you have recommended panels for batteries. I'm not here to argue, I believe we learn everyday, but my stand remains there is a waste in this setup, unless of course its meant to be generated and used during the day for business, for which it would not matter if the panels are up to 2000 watts!
Science/Technology / Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by 3276reliance: 11:18am On Aug 18, 2016
chris81964:

How did you reach that conclusion? Do you know how he intends to use the power generated from his PV?

I like your question sir, he did not ask the guy either HOW he intend to use the generated power, which I highlighted in my first observation.
Science/Technology / Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by 3276reliance: 4:21pm On Aug 17, 2016
Lanjonath:
I assumed the batteries were 200ah, four 250W solar panels will adequately charge it, 3 would work but i'd rather go with 4.

I don't like dragging issues, but I have to say 1000 watts panels to 2* 12v 200Ah is a waste
Science/Technology / Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by 3276reliance: 12:07pm On Aug 16, 2016
DMerciful:
Alternative power sources like inverter/batteries and solar are for powering light load esp for convenience. They cannot economically replace public power supply when the load becomes large. For 3 bedroom flats , 5 energy bulbs is enuf at any particular time, 1 freezer is enuf to run for 5hours per day, 1 led TV and prob 2 rechargeable fans(they are more energy efficient). A 300w* 4 solar panels, 40a epsolar charge controller, 1.5kva sulkam inverter, 4*200AH batteries and you're good. If you need specifics...hala me

You make my day bro with this, I particularly like the word 'convenience' , reasonable convenience. Because solar is referred to as free doesn't mean it can power everything in your life, unless you REALLY have the money to throw around. A lot of so called engineers don't say the truth because of money , in no time owners become frustrated because they can't see what they were promised before they part with their money. Solar does work, I'm in support of DIY, even if an engineer come to install for you (always good for first timers). Pls don't hesitate to ask question, get to know how each of the components work, always demand that a meter be install if your controller doesn't have one. Ask about how to use your system to get the best out of it and last. Ask questions, solar is good and can give convenience but can not power your walk or your sleep, stop the dream and do the needful. Follow every detail and instructions given to you by your installer.

1 Like

Science/Technology / Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by 3276reliance: 11:33am On Aug 16, 2016
Lanjonath:
You'll need 4 250W Solar Panels
1 40A mppt charge controller
Solar Panel Mounting Rails
1 Lightening protector

the described system should fully charge your batteries with 6 hours of god sunlight.

and that's about it. feel free to email me: Lanjonath@hotmail.com

4*250 =1000 watts to charge 2 batteries? You did not even bother to ask about his batteries Ah rating. O ga o
Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 10:37am On Aug 09, 2016
MaryWest:
i used a sony z3 once and seeing the price of the camon c9 ...seriously i wil go for it

I only used z3 to illustrate a point, thank you for not derailing this thread.

1 Like

Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 9:43am On Aug 09, 2016
Because you do not know does not mean it is not possible or workable. Good morning everyone.
Agriculture / Re: Introducing A Water Pump That Works 24/7 Without Electricity Or Fuel. by 3276reliance: 9:40am On Aug 09, 2016
Because you do not know does not mean it is not possible or workable. Good morning everyone.
Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 2:46pm On Aug 06, 2016
When you go through solar related forum on nairaland, you see different people preferring different battery type. They are not something you produce in your backyard overnight and sell in the morning, a lot is put into the production. So its more of how you use and take care of your battery rather than which one to buy. The well known, very expensive American and German batteries can die on you in months when badly used, while the less expensive local ones can give you years of good service with the right approach. More on battery usage later.

1 Like

Properties / Who Wants To Go Completely Offgrid? by 3276reliance: 8:00pm On Aug 05, 2016
This is a new concept to help anyone with water resources near their farm or property to go completely off the grid with a 3 in 1 installation of solar power, hydro power and water pump for farm and household use. Schools, hospitals, hotels and small factories which are slightly in the outskirt of town with a stream running by can also take this advantage. This is the breakdown.

Solar installation to give you power during the day.

Hydro system to continue to supply electricity as soon as the sun goes down, and 24hrs on rainy days.

A standalone pump that works without taking any power from the one you're making from solar and hydro setup, yet doesn't require fuel to run.

For enquiries
3276reliance@gmail.com
WhatsApp 070-54-28-80-48
Investment / Who Wants To Go Completely Offgrid? by 3276reliance: 7:33pm On Aug 05, 2016
This is a new concept to help anyone with water resources near their farm or property to go completely off the grid with a 3 in 1 installation of solar power, hydro power and water pump for farm and household use. Schools, hospitals, hotels and small factories which are slightly in the outskirt of town with a stream running by can also take this advantage. This is the breakdown.

Hydro system to continue to supply electricity as soon as the sun goes down, and 24hrs on rainy days.

A standalone pump that works without taking any power from the one you're making from solar and hydro setup, yet doesn't require fuel to run.

For enquiries
3276reliance@gmail.com
WhatsApp 070-54-28-80-48
Business / Who Wants To Go Completely Offgrid? by 3276reliance: 7:21pm On Aug 05, 2016

For enquiries
3276reliance@gmail.com
WhatsApp 070-54-28-80-48
Agriculture / Who Wants To Go Completely Offgrid? by 3276reliance: 6:53pm On Aug 05, 2016

Hydro system to continue to supply electricity as soon as the sun goes down, and 24hrs on rainy days. This is not to say solar can not generate electricity on such days with the use of right equipment, hydro power can add up should the power generation for days like that are too low

For enquiries
3276reliance@gmail.com
WhatsApp 070-54-28-80-48

1 Like

Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 5:19pm On Aug 05, 2016
Since this thread is about basic DIY, I will advice you go for inverters with familiar names in Nigeria, I have used a few of them and haven't got a reason to regret. This site is about the only one that spread out the prices of their products without offering the 'complete package' gimmick. www.buylan.com.ng
Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 2:53pm On Aug 05, 2016
As for panels, just look around for best deals that will suit your application. I do not have a particular brand in mind, if a panel puts out its rated capacity, its ok. they all do the job.

There are also plenty to chose from cc, there are big players like outback, morningstar which are far beyond the budget of many. But at the end, the difference, as far as I'm concern is going to be like one person buys Tecno C8 for 40k, another buys a Sony Z3 for about 120k, surely the Sony will look better with superior materials, camera etc, but ultimately, both phones have the same operating system in them, ANDROID.

2 Likes

Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 1:47pm On Aug 05, 2016
I really don't want to discuss prices and brands of solar components. The reason being that, as it is with other electronics, a large percentage of what we use today are either from China or other Asian countries. I have bought items (for other off grid projects) from US stores, only to find out they are made in China and Indonesia. I'm 100% OK with their products, just saying this so you are not tricked into buying something made in China as EUROPE or US made.
Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 6:57am On Aug 03, 2016
If you have any question from what we have learnt so far, let's have it.
Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 10:48am On Aug 02, 2016
Let's say you start charging with your battery at exactly 12v, it means the battery is 50% full. If you remember, I said your 100 watts panel will be around 18v. If it 18v, your amps should be 5.5. 18x5.5 is roughly 100. If the panel is 18.9v, your amps will be about 5.29 which still give you the same 100 watts. Now read the next paragraph very well.

Your battery is at 12 volts, the sun is bright and shinning and your panel is putting out its full capacity of 18v x 5.5amps but the controller will not give you all 18v, it's going to match your battery voltage and deliver 12v x 5.5 amps which translates to 66 watts from your 100 watts capacity. So as battery gets fuller, the voltage will continue to rise up till 13.5 when the cc cuts off charge. Even at 13.5 x 5.5 amps, you are still short of tens of watts. This is why the mppt controller is superior to the pwm, but very expensive, but remains my favorite even for small applications.
Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 10:40am On Aug 02, 2016
I said a fully charged battery does not read exactly 12v if you check with a meter. It will give you 12.7v (this is when it's not under a charging process). But when it's under charge, the voltage will go up between 13.5v and 14.5v. This is when the cc puts a stop to charging, but will automatically resumes as soon as there is slightest drop in the battery voltage. I don't want to confuse you with so much details here, just giving you a hint so you can understand why you can not get the full 100 watts.
Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 10:24am On Aug 02, 2016
Your 100 watts panel is charging your battery but sadly you're not getting all 100 watts you paid for, no matter how bright the sun is, and this is one of the areas I find faults with some of our installers. THIS IS NOT THERE FAULT, but they don't pass important informations to the users. Let me tell you why this is so.
Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 7:28am On Aug 02, 2016
Make sure you always connect the cc FIRST with a positive and negative cable to the corresponding terminals on the battery before you connect the panel to the cc. this is important pls. It doesn't matter if you have a load or not to the last ports. Once the battery and panel are property attached, that's all there is to protecting your battery.

1 Like

Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 7:49pm On Aug 01, 2016
If you recollect, coming from the panel are 2 wires, positive and negative, the battery also has 2 terminals of a positive and negative, it means DC components have the + and - for connections. looking at the cc, you can see it's self explanatory. From the left you have a panel drawing showing the + and -, the panel cable will go through there, then you have the battery, the third drawing is of a bulb. What this mean is that you can run anything that is DC powered, like DC fan, DC light directly without having to go through battery or inverter. The reason I particularly like this feature is that, as long as the sun is still shinning, whatever power you consume through this port is being drawn directly from the panel outside and not your battery. Some cc also have USB ports where you can charge you phone.

1 Like

Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 6:12pm On Aug 01, 2016
The cc as far as I know also has 2 types in the market. Namely PWM and MPPT. if you recollect, I said we are setting up a basic 12v system for beginners. So we are choosing the basic simpler of the two, the pwm.

So let's look the cc over and see how to connect it to our battery and panel. Connecting the cc is no harder than connecting your DVD player to your TV set. This little gadget is plug and play.

Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 4:47pm On Aug 01, 2016
I should mention that there are 2 types of panels in the market, monocrystalline and polycrystalline. Don't bother too much about which is better. The mono type is slightly more expensive and efficient than poly. Interestingly, according to report, there are more poly in use worldwide than mono. So just buy according to your pocket.

Back to the controller, call it a mediator, moderator or regulator and you will still be right. It simply make sure the battery doesn't get overcharged. It puts a brake to the power going into the battery once its full and burn away the excess.
Nairaland / General / Re: Let's Go D.I.Y On Solar by 3276reliance: 1:34pm On Aug 01, 2016
There is a little black box at the back of the panel with 2 wires hanging out. One is labeled + for positive and - for negative. If you attach the + cable of panel to the + terminal of your battery, - of panel to - of battery, ( red sign on some battery stand for +, while black is -) then expose the panel to sunlight, you've started charging the battery, its as simple as that

But we are not going to leave the 2 connected indefinitely, because the battery stand being overcharged, which will damage it. That is why we need the charge controller.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (of 4 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.