Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab (1339 Views)

Hilarious Faces Of Divers At The Rio 2016 Olympics In Brazil / Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics / Rio 2016: Egyptians Wear Hijab While Playing Volleyball With Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by Spicycat(f): 11:17pm On Aug 08, 2016
The Muslim-American woman who is set to become the first U.S. Olympian to wear a hijab while competing this summer was asked to take it off while posing for an identification photo at SXSW.
World champion fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad tweeted Saturday in Austin, Texas that she was asked to take off the religious head covering as she registered for the popular tech festival.
'I was just asked to remove my hijab at SXSW Registration for my ID badge.. I can't make this stuff up #SXSW2016', the 30-year-old fencing powerhouse wrote on Twitter.
'Even after I explained it was for religious reasons, he insisted I had to remove my hijab for the photo to receive my badge She added that the person then proceeded to give her the wrong I.D. that belonged to a Time Warner employee named Tamir Muhammad.
'Thennnnn (sic) I was given the wrong ID! From now on my name is Tamir & I work for Time Warner Inc #SXSW2016', she tweeted alongside a photo of the I.D. badge.
She was at the festival as a speaker for SXSports programming during 'The New Church: Sport as Currency of American Life' panel discussion.
The person who asked the Duke University graduate to remove her hijab was a volunteer and has been removed from SXSW, a spokesman for the festival said.
'It is not our policy that a hijab or any religious head covering be removed in order to pick up a SXSW badge,' festival organizers said in a statement to the Chicago Tribune.
'This was one volunteer who made an insensitive request and that person has been removed for the duration of the event.
'We are embarrassed by this and have apologized to Ibtihaj in person, and sincerely regret this incident.'
This summer she will be competing with the U.S. women's Olympic fencing team in Rio de Janeiro for the Olympics and is expected to become the first Muslim to represent America in international competition while wearing the religious head covering.
Muhammad, who has become a Muslim-American icon, has launched her own fashion line, Louella, for Muslim women.
She has also been very vocal against Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's proposed ban on Muslim immigration.
'I feel like I owe it to people who look like me to speak out,' Muhammad said Wednesday. ''We're going to send Muslims back to their countries,' I say 'Well, I'm American. Where am I going to go?''
A champion sabre fencer, Muhammad's trajectory in her sport since age 13 was shaped in part by her religion, and partly by a fierce sense of competitiveness.
One of five siblings, she remembers growing up in an athletic family but feeling out of place in some sports because she chose to dress more modestly than other girls.
With fencing, where competitors don protective suits and facemasks, that wasn't an issue.
'I was self serving,' Muhammad said. 'I wanted to find a sport where I could be covered and I didn't have to look different from everyone else.'
Muhammad didn't immediately fall in love with swordplay, finding fencing tedious at first. But the New Jersey resident stuck with it for another reason: the promise of a college athletic scholarship.
She had done her research, discovering that almost all of the top U.S. universities had fencing programs. Muhammad graduated from Duke, where she was an All-American athlete.
After fencing, Muhammad says she may consider a career in U.S. diplomacy. She recently had a chance to voice her concerns to President Barack Obama during a roundtable he held at his first visit to a U.S. mosque.
Obama told her he was counting on her winning a medal in Rio.

Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by Spicycat(f): 11:18pm On Aug 08, 2016
More pics

Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by Spicycat(f): 11:19pm On Aug 08, 2016
Isn't she lovely, i really love how she embraces herself in a manner which portrays how Bold, Talented and beautiful she is in both her religious and sport life. Wishing you success girl go get em !!!!

2 Likes

Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by falcon01: 11:19pm On Aug 08, 2016
ok
Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by jstbeinhonest(m): 11:23pm On Aug 08, 2016
I wonder what Trump makes of this.

Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by MrOlai: 11:34pm On Aug 08, 2016
Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Osun State Chapter:

This is Islamisation of Olympics! We'll tell our athletes to put on their church garments and robes! grin grin grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by MDsambo: 11:37pm On Aug 08, 2016
MrOlai:

This is Islamisation of Olympics! We'll tell our athletes to put on their church garments and robes! grin grin grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by LordZero(m): 11:46pm On Aug 08, 2016
MrOlai:

4 Likes

Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by blessedvisky(m): 12:05am On Aug 09, 2016
I smell Fp. Muslims reading this be like

Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by MrOlai: 12:08am On Aug 09, 2016
Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by MrOlai: 11:40am On Aug 11, 2016
MrOlai:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by dmltoyin(m): 3:19pm On Aug 12, 2016
MrOlai:

oh that's just funny cheesy
Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by CaptEColeJnr: 5:50pm On Aug 12, 2016
Spicycat:
Isn't she lovely, i really love how she embraces herself in a manner which portrays how Bold, Talented and beautiful she is in both her religious and sport life. Wishing you success girl go get em !!!!
Oh just shut up!!!
Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by KevinDein: 7:13pm On Aug 12, 2016
I dare say that my fellow Nigerian Christians could probably be the most bigoted Christians in the world. Just visit the Egypt-Germany thread where the Egyptian ladies played the game in hijap and you will likely agree with me. So much fuss over someone wearing what they are comfortable in. Very intolerant hateful lot, Nigerian Christians.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by Bsmartt(m): 10:03pm On Aug 12, 2016
I hope we all learn how to tolerate other people's religion. #oneworld
Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by 4watever: 8:58am On Aug 13, 2016
So why ain't you wearing a hijab?

I dont understand what the fuss is all about.

Does covering yourself up make you a better person than the swimmers who have to swim in bikinis/swimsuits to avoid drag?

Sportswear is about convinience and streamlining to offer the lowest possible air/water resistance.

If she were a naturally gifted sprinter, would she have any hope of winning any race whilst competing in a hijab ? She'd probably stumble.

But then, you wouldn't know much about sports, would you eh spicykitten ?

Just do you whatever helps you achieve your noble goals.

Some bigoted vultures are already gathering to feast here.
Re: Rio 2016: The First Muslim-american Woman In Olympic To Wear A Hijab by 4watever: 9:18am On Aug 13, 2016
Spicycat:

Well she's got nice eyes (probably contacts tho)

(1) (Reply)

#WengerOut In Igbo Language : Funny Video / The 20 Best Players Ranked By Most Key Passes In Ligue 1 (season 2016/17) / Watch Highlights Of AC Milan 6vs 0SHKENDIJA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.