Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,549 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

The Etymology Of The Name Oranmiyan. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Etymology Of The Name Oranmiyan. (716 Views)

Etymology Of The Word Fufu / Oranmiyan Officially Recognized As First Oba Of Benin. / Oranmiyan As The First Oba In Bini Kingdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Etymology Of The Name Oranmiyan. by lawani: 10:34am On Aug 09, 2016
Oranmiyan, the founder of both the Alaafin and the Omonoba dynasties in Oyo and Benin respectively was named after Oranfe. Oran means challenge or even calamity. When you say Oran re! It means this is a terrible challenge or calamity! Oranfe is the original name of the deity now more popularly known as Sango across the world.

Oranmiyan means essentially 'I want challenges, I do not want to leave a life of tranquility, give me challenges upon challenges!'. That would have been the reading at the Esentaiye ceremony of Oranmiyan as a child. He was probably born under the odu 'OKANRAN MEJI'. He founded both the Benin and Oyo dynasties, attempted to invade Mecca with an army, then later returned to Ile Ife where he died and the Opa Oranmiyan (Staff of Oranmiyan) is still there as a memorial to him. Gbajure!

Sango whose mother was Nupe that later became Alaafin of Oyo was one of his descendants. Oranmiyan could be said to be the first Oba of Benin and the first Alaafin Oyo. He retired to Ile Ife where he died and was buried.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Waoo.. Nice Art Work By A Little Boy (pix) / Obasanjo, Tinubu, Adenuga, Others To Honour Oluwo’s 50th Birthday On Saturday / Korean Film Festival Lagos 2017 Day 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.