Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,699 members, 7,809,644 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:26 PM

Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a (1287 Views)

Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? / JAMB 2016: The States With The Highest And Lowest Applicants / Nairalanders, What Is Your Highest Educational Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a by MoeFx(m): 10:17am On Sep 24, 2009
Re: Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a by maedan(f): 10:30am On Sep 24, 2009

Narrow that down to "Nigerians have the highest educational attainment. . ." More, at least, than any other African group. It's also safe to say, we are the largest African immigrant population followed by Ghana.

Nyways, heard we've got the term "Nigerian-Americans" now grin. Looks like we're taking over - one city at a time cheesy.
Re: Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a by MoeFx(m): 10:58am On Sep 24, 2009
Nigeria Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_American
Re: Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a by candylips(m): 12:16pm On Sep 24, 2009
education that they are using to drive cabs and wash corpose right
Re: Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a by MoeFx(m): 8:18pm On Sep 24, 2009
your stupid, you downgrade your own people.
Re: Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a by SEFAGO(m): 11:38pm On Sep 24, 2009
He is actually telling the truth. Don't hate the messenger. We are good nurses too  grin grin grin.
Re: Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a by candylips(m): 9:23am On Sep 25, 2009
leave him we nigerians don't like hearing the truth.
Re: Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a by MoeFx(m): 1:28pm On Sep 25, 2009
sad to see nigerians in nigeria have no pride in themselves, what a pity
Re: Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a by maedan(f): 6:18pm On Sep 25, 2009

Some people are really foolish. They think everybody is like them. So Wikipedia don't know what they're saying, abi? Rubbish. Move among those on higher levels and you'll see what Nigerians are achieving in every location.
Re: Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a by SEFAGO(m): 6:48pm On Sep 25, 2009

Continue pitying

Some people are really foolish. They think everybody is like them. So Wikipedia don't know what they're saying, abi? Rubbish. Move among those on higher levels and you'll see what Nigerians are achieving in every location.

Agreed some of us are foolish  . But Wikipedia isn't always accurate, yes, but correct, no. Accurate in that it provides the exact information as it it from respected sources, but correct in that some of its claims might be unsubstantiated. However, it is true Africans have the highest educational attainment for immigrants (From the U.S census bureau), and it has even being profiled in lots of magazines/newspapers in the US since 2006. Agreed.

But I think candylips was thinking of what they do with the degrees, not how many they have. Nigerians abroad-US and UK-are successful no matter what they do, but the large majority are not and that is prolly where misconceptions come from. I see more nurses and cab driverrs in my areas than professionals, doesn't mean there aren't nigerian professionals, my perspective is skewed by my location. It is all about the numebrs.
Re: Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a by maedan(f): 3:17am On Sep 26, 2009

@SEFAGO,

maybe you should change your location grin - or perhaps, look harder to find the hard working Nigerians entrepeneurs and professionals around you wink.
Seriously though, I never really needed Wiki to tell me what I've already known and seen for myself: Nigerians in Ivy League universities studying or lecturing; Nigerians as top surgeons and businesspersons----not that I'm saying that nurses or taxi-drivers are not good -so long as it's an honest job, they should be commended. Bottom line is, people should not think every Nigerian in diaspora is a loser. You'll always be disappointed.
Re: Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a by SEFAGO(m): 3:40am On Sep 26, 2009
maybe you should change your location Grin - or perhaps, look harder to find the hard working Nigerians entrepeneurs and professionals around you Wink.
Seriously though, I never really needed Wiki to tell me what I've already known and seen for myself: Nigerians in Ivy League universities studying or lecturing; Nigerians as top surgeons and businesspersons----not that I'm saying that nurses or taxi-drivers are not good -so long as it's an honest job, they should be commended. Bottom line is, people should not think every Nigerian in diaspora is a loser. You'll always be disappointed.

Well I am ok where I am thnxs. You are correct nigerians overachieve though but i don't really feel like going into the dynamics of things. Definitely not every Nigerian is a loser, infact I understand the hurdles immigrants have to go through.

But even though Nigerians might have some of educational attainment they are not even close to the chinese/indians/korean immigrants- this I have seen and can provide significant proof. Just because you see 1 professor teaching, you will find a whole department full of the chinese. I am sometimes struggle to convince myself they have nothing innately intelligent about them and that we can do it.

The thread is correct we do have that? But how have we used it for a purpose? What was the quality of the doctorates?
Re: Africans Have The Highest Educational Attainment Of Any Immigrant Group In U.s.a by candylips(m): 8:54am On Sep 26, 2009
MoeFx:

compare the achievements of nigerian imigrants with chiness or indian imigrants and get back to me

(1) (Reply)

Chevron 2009/2010 National Scholarship Award Is Open For Application / Uniben Pg Admisiion List Is Out / Info About Ansu Direct Entry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.