Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Martwayne - What Makes Ankara "Ankara"?! Is It The Print Or The Fabric? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Martwayne - What Makes Ankara "Ankara"?! Is It The Print Or The Fabric? (578 Views)

10 Ankara Styles You Need About Just 1 Yard Of Ankara Fabric To Sew / Fabric Blinging or Stoning / We Deliver Tshirts In Print Or Monogramming At Your Own Convenience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Martwayne - What Makes Ankara "Ankara"?! Is It The Print Or The Fabric? by Martwayne01: 4:04pm On Aug 10, 2016
OH for the love of all things ankara! Ok this is just a random post from my random musings on a question I have been asking designers for years.

Yes we all love ankara! And it's not so difficult to understand why. The vibrant print! The versatility of the fabric - like seriously anything and everything can be and is made from ankara. And of course, it's the fabric of choice for many designers because it is readily available and easy to work with PLUS it is made from one of the most durable fabrics that can withstand the highest temperature from an iron without melting or leaving an obvious shine (well obviously because the print "outshines" the shine).

BUT the real question I have been asking for years is:

What makes ankara "Ankara"?! Is it the print or the fabric?

Many say the print. Ok fine - the print. So if the print is what makes ankara ankara, then why do people feel the need to touch the fabric to be sure it is ankara.

OR why do people argue when some fabrics are sold as ankara even if the print does not look like the typical ankara print? I bought these absolutely stunning fabrics from the Da Viva store last year and it definitely does not look like the typical ankara print but it was called and sold as ankara. In fact, I bet if you bought this same fabric from the market and not the DaViva store, you would argue that it was not ankara.

And if ankara is just about the print, why are ankara prints on chiffon, silk and polyester fabrics not considered ankara? Because we often see them labelled as "ankara silk", "ankara chiffon", which then suggests to me that ankara is so called because of the fabric and not the print.

I still don't have an answer to my question so maybe you can help me out. What do you think? What makes ankara "Ankara"?

Temitope Williams-Adewunmi
Founder, Martwayne | Power Through Fashion
Blog: www.fashionbeyondstitches.com
URL: www.martwayne.com

(1) (Reply)

Model Amber Rose Describes Her First Threes0m E Experienc E / Great And Affordable Quality Modern Sandals For Sale (photos) / s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.