Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:08 AM

Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? (6821 Views)

5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand / Pls Advise On Which Bank Is Best For Online Banking / 16 moments those depositing money in the bank can Relate To. (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emmyk(m): 12:08pm On Aug 11, 2016
I opened a US domiciliary account with Gtbank recently. Took a foreign check there to be cleared this morning. I was told they stopped accepting Foreign checks.

I contacted some Banks, same story.

So, is this check useless now?

Epp me, before I get frustrated and shred it. grin
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by stingermania(m): 2:19pm On Aug 11, 2016
Maybe thats the new policy
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emmyk(m): 11:14pm On Aug 11, 2016
stingermania:
Maybe thats the new policy
Bad policy. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by orisa37: 1:36pm On Aug 12, 2016
Deposit Money Banks(DMBs).
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emmyk(m): 6:19pm On Aug 12, 2016
orisa37:
Deposit Money Banks(DMBs).
Thank you for your input. But can you expatiate a little more?

Are DMBs different from Commercial Banks?

Which one in particular still accepts foreign checks?
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emmyk(m): 7:08pm On Aug 12, 2016
Update: Some Banks still do, I believe. I contacted UBA...

2 Likes

Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emmyk(m): 7:20pm On Aug 12, 2016
The eyes have it. Case closed. grin
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Aug 12, 2016
Emmyk:
Update: Some Banks still do, I believe. I contacted UBA...
Banks that are regulated under CBN or foreign bank?

Op, you 'r suppose to make enquiry before accepting the foreign check

4 Likes

Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emmyk(m): 10:32pm On Aug 12, 2016
fados4sure:

Banks that are regulated under CBN or foreign bank?

Op, you 'r suppose to make enquiry before accepting the foreign check
Yeah. True.
Foreign Banks.
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by orisa37: 2:58am On Aug 13, 2016
Please don't be offended. Your questions are good and very relevant. In the interest of Peace and Progress of this Country, your questions are better and best answered by any of 1,The Governor of CBN, 2, W.D. Gotring, Director, Trade and Exchange and 3, The Minister of Finance. You see, I tried unsuccessfully twice or thrice to pay ordinary Dividend Warrants of a major Shareholder of a Limited Liability Company to the Company's Account. I failed to pay in simply because the Accountant in the Bank didn't believe that the shareholder, whose dividend I was lodging, was a signatory to the Account. I asked to see The Manager, but the Accountant refused. How now can I ever trust the Banking system or any system for this fact?
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by arbitrage: 5:46am On Aug 13, 2016
Emmyk:
The eyes have it. Case closed. grin

You mean UBA was able to help?
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emmyk(m): 8:52am On Aug 13, 2016
arbitrage:

You mean UBA was able to help?
I contacted some Multi-national Banks on Twitter (see screenshots in my earlier post for their responses).
UBA called and explained that they can clear the funds once I open a domiciliary account with them. I was told I don't necessarily have to have an account (Savings/Current etc).
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by teemy(m): 9:01am On Aug 13, 2016
you can try citibank nigeria's website call number. their parent bank is in the us.
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by lordkay10(m): 9:38am On Aug 13, 2016
Emmyk:

I contacted some Multi-national Banks on Twitter (see screenshots in my earlier post for their responses).
UBA called and explained that they can clear the funds once I open a domiciliary account with them. I was told I don't necessarily have to have an account (Savings/Current etc).
What about Stanbic, what was their response?
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emmyk(m): 10:02am On Aug 13, 2016
lordkay10:

What about Stanbic, what was their response?
They accept foreign checks too.

4 Likes

Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by stingermania(m): 11:47am On Aug 13, 2016
Emmyk:

Bad policy. embarassed
Tell the company to always pay you via paypal.
We need to discuss also.
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emmyk(m): 4:21pm On Aug 13, 2016
stingermania:

Tell the company to always pay you via paypal.
We need to discuss also.
I use PayPal now.
Is that your WhatsApp number on your siggy?
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by stingermania(m): 6:41pm On Aug 13, 2016
Emmyk:

I use PayPal now.
Yes
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emmyk(m): 6:37pm On Oct 10, 2016
Very useless Banks. I went to deposit the check into my UBA Dom account today, but they said check has to be $500, nothing less.

Even Eco Bank aren't clearing foreign checks again.
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by lordkay10(m): 8:12pm On Oct 10, 2016
Emmyk:
Very useless Banks. I went to deposit the check into my UBA Dom account today, but they said check has to be $500, nothing less.

Even Eco Bank aren't clearing foreign checks again.

You mean UBA accepts foreign check deposit provided it's not less than $500?
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emmyk(m): 8:15pm On Oct 10, 2016
lordkay10:

You mean UBA accepts foreign check deposit provided it's not less than $500?
Yes, exactly.

1 Like

Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by stingermania(m): 12:03pm On Dec 16, 2016
Yes
Emmyk:

I use PayPal now.
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emioga: 2:05pm On Dec 16, 2016
Emmyk how did you now cash the cheque cos I have 4 with me now and each one is not up to 500 dollars. How did you go about it. Am getting frustrated too. Help me before I tear it grin
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emmyk(m): 6:35pm On Dec 17, 2016
Emioga:
Emmyk how did you now cash the cheque cos I have 4 with me now and each one is not up to 500 dollars. How did you go about it. Am getting frustrated too. Help me before I tear it grin
I didn't do anything about it. I simply let it expire. It expired 2 days ago.
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emioga: 11:49am On Dec 18, 2016
Emmyk:

I didn't do anything about it. I simply let it expire. It expired 2 days ago.
ha! Na gobe be this o
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emmyk(m): 12:25am On Dec 19, 2016
Emioga:
ha! Na gobe be this o
Lol. That's how bad things are.
If you can contact those that issued the check to you, explain things to them, they might use another method, like PayPal or Wire Transfer....
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emioga: 8:13am On Dec 19, 2016
Emmyk:

Lol. That's how bad things are.
If you can contact those that issued the check to you, explain things to them, they might use another method, like PayPal or Wire Transfer....
well it's the US treasury and I don't know if they will use those means you suggested but I will try. Thanks
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by kowade: 1:03am On Dec 18, 2017
Hi house please I will like to know which bank of present can clear a us check in Nigeria.
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emmyk(m): 4:21pm On Jul 09, 2019
Emioga:
well it's the US treasury and I don't know if they will use those means you suggested but I will try. Thanks

How did it go? Did you cash or tear? cheesy
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emioga: 10:40pm On Jul 09, 2019
Emmyk:

How did it go? Did you cash or tear? cheesy
had to open a savings account and filled a direct deposit form from the US Treasury. Now I receive the money directly into my account. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Ayotundesh: 9:47am On Dec 19, 2020
Emioga:
had to open a savings account and filled a direct deposit form from the US Treasury. Now I receive the money directly into my account. Thanks

Please where or which bank did you open the savings account?
I’d it a direct deposit into your Dom or Naira account?

Thanks for sharing.
Re: Which Bank Can Foreign Checks Be Cleared? by Emioga: 12:21pm On Dec 19, 2020
Ayotundesh:

Please where or which bank did you open the savings account?
I’d it a direct deposit into your Dom or Naira account?

Thanks for sharing.
I opened with gtb and it was into my naira account

(1) (2) (Reply)

Proven Ways To Make Money Blogging / Gtbank Profit Before Tax Hits N215.6bn In 2018 / Lagos To Support 3,000 Agricpreneurs In Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.