Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,971 members, 7,863,457 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:11 PM

My First Farm Experience - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My First Farm Experience (437 Views)

My Noiler Farm Experience (hybrid Of Broiler + Cockerel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My First Farm Experience by GazecoSpurt: 5:20pm On Aug 11, 2016
I laugh at most youth then, i wouldn't say now because the government and economy has made the industry a prospective goldmine, so every youth wants to travel back home to reclaim what was willed to them by their late father, grandfather etc (plots of farmland). Its a good development i guess, but this might be a problem, 'EXPERIENCE'

I was 11 when my parent finally decided to take us (my siblings included) to the village, to spend Christmas and New year holidays. Finally i was going to see and know my people, especially that white shaft stuff that taste sour and brittle.... Yes garri, finally i am going to learn how it is made. It took us about 7-8 hours travelling from Abuja to Edo state, when we finally got to our destination, it was dusk so every woman was busy raising and hitting a long kind of stick into a wooden pot, later i knew its maiden name was 'OKO' the wooden Mortar. Wow everybody was happy and looked at us strangely. When we finally got to our family compound, behold the place was filled with happy people, some set where busy swallowing lumps of pounded yam, few where pounding the yam, some made the soup, while the elderly.... Well i can't possibly state everything here, as it will not serve the purpose of this post.

Two weeks later, somehow somehow i broke my mums rule and went with my uncle to the farm (though i paid darely, but it was worth it) my maternal grandfather's cocoa farm, was as big as half of the whole village, it is cited some distance away from the main village. When i got to the farm, i was baffled to see how big a cocoa farm could be, i asked my uncle several questions, and he was always happy to provide answers, but there was a particular question, he couldn't answer, as i can remember, i asked him 'Why would papa have such a big farm and several others and yet, he doesn't have a car, a big house in the city? Well till date i still don't have that answer. Well at the farm, it was late in the morning, so i was asked to sit in a farm house and wait, i watched every activity though i didn't understand what they were actually doing, but my love for agriculture began right from my elementary days, whenever i went for Agricultural science, i would seriously want to carefully listen to my teacher has she teaches, we would learn about cultivation, plants, soil and crops, my favourite then was the practical aspect, we would bring loamy or clay soil into a tin, then plant our bean seed or corn, imagine how i would keep close watch, i would wait patiently for 5 to 7 days, immediately i see the sprout, eh eh eh its like winning a lottery. So while i waited patiently in the farm, i remembered how the labourers would keep bringing the cocoa pods on large baskets and empty the basket, beside the farm house. In amusement, i would stare at the pods, touching them and i finally i broke one, with my heart beating fast, i made to taste the cocoa, wow its sweeeeet, but i was toooooo scared to take more. My uncle came back after awhile and told me everything i needed to know at that time about cocoa. Wow so cocoa is used to produce chocolate? I'ld say to myself all day. When we finally got back to the city, i told my friends and classmates with every sense of pride that i would one day be a FARMER. Even though my first time wasn't the last, i did own a farm here in Abuja, 7 years later.... Though it was substantially small, i love it very much when i visit my farm.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

15 Hectares Of Cassava Land / 60,000 Eggs P/m Fish Hatchery / Nigeria Has Gain From The €13.1bn Honeybee Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.