Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,100 members, 7,818,287 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him (13588 Views)

You Can’t Probe How I Spent Bailout Funds, Fayose Tells Senate / Budget Padding: Dogara Begged For Forgiveness, Says Jibrin / Why We Can’t Probe Dogara, Others – House Ethics Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by mozel247: 10:56am On Aug 12, 2016
Make we vote ur papa ba.

I will start following ur activities here now to no if u r progressive or not..

mmmustapha:
let's change the change, Vote Malam ABUBAKAR MUSTAPHA As PDP National Secretary to slay the devils and bring back our lost glory.
Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by Izonpikin: 10:57am On Aug 12, 2016
ofcourse the oil shiny headed magu cant touch him....we all know...we all know.. cheesy cheesy
Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by onecent: 11:01am On Aug 12, 2016
Dogara the scumbag is emblematic of the sick value system in Nigeria, where a N1000 thief is stoned to death while 'scum' like Dogara is venerated. Sadly we as Nigerians brought (and continue to bring) this malais on ourselves. Why in the name of all that is good would a sane person do 'ranka dede' for a thief, which is what we do and which these pond-lives in the various assemblies (senate and house of reps at every level of the republic) have become accustomed to.

They fully expect some noise to be generated and then subsequently to die down for a number of reasons: one - they all are scum and therefore cannot truthfully challenge one another. two - they believe in their demonic powers to bring confusion and make the populace forget. three - they genuinely do not have a conscience (consider the list of abonimation they need to commit to make their alelgiance to the devil and you will understand). four - they have little intelligence and even less pride. five - they are fantastically arrogant.

Again, in case you are reading this....Dogara you and the rest of the assemblies are scum. Nigeria ought seriously to consider what purpose you serve when next it reviews its constitution.

TheFreeOne:

The Speaker of the House, Yakubu Dogara, on Thursday said those calling for his prosecution for his alleged involvement in the fraudulent manipulation of the 2016 budget were doing so out of sheer ignorance.

Mr. Dogara said the laws governing the National Assembly accorded all lawmakers a great degree of immunity from prosecution on the basis of exercising their legislative functions.

“It doesn’t even make sense and they have forgotten about Section 30 of the Legislative Houses (Powers and Privileges) Act, and others” which says “most of the things we do in the National Assembly are privileged,” Mr. Dogara said.

“They cannot be grounds for any investigation on the procedure or proceedings to commence against a member of parliament, either the Speaker or the President of the Senate, once they are done in the exercise of their proper functions.”

“The Constitution talks about the estimates of revenue and expenditure to be prepared and laid before the National Assembly. The constitution did not mention the word budget. And the reason is very simple. Budget is a law.

”Going by very pedestrian understanding of law which even a part one law student can tell is that the functions of government is such that the legislature makes the law, executive implements and the judiciary interprets the law,” Mr. Dogara said.

“The budget being a law, therefore, means it is only the parliament that can make it because it is a law. And I challenge all of us members the media and civil society organisations to look at our law and tell me where it is written that the president can make a budget,” Mr. Dogara said.

Mr. Dogara’s comments came while accounting for his one-year in office at a forum organised by Policy and Legal Advocacy Centre, a public policy think-tank, in Abuja.

Mr. Dogara, who has faced growing calls for him to resign from office following allegations of budget fraud, said ignorance of legislative duties on the part of some citizens was to blame for the outrage against lawmakers’ role in the 2016 budget.

He said that the National Assembly would now embark on a massive sensitisation of the public about the duties of the legislature in a constitutional republic.

“Recent efforts seeking to discredit the document are a consequence of inadequate knowledge of the legal framework governing appropriation in a presidential democracy.

“This has, nonetheless, opened a new vista of duty for us as a legislature to enhance both internal competences of Members as well as the sensitisation of the public on the role of the legislature in a presidential democracy,” Mr. Dogara said.

Mr. Dogara said the 2016 Appropriation Bill was not entirely perfect in the form it was forwarded to the legislature by the executive, saying lawmakers carried out extensive work on the document to make it acceptable.

“The 2016 budget was controversial from the onset but the House handled the controversy with maturity, employing the democratic tools of dialogue, compromise and consensus by which an implementable 2016 Budget was passed and assented to.”

For three weeks running, Mr. Dogara had been locked in fierce political and media war with Abdulmumin Jibrin, a Kano lawmaker who was removed as chairman of House Committee on Appropriation.

Mr. Jibrin said the speaker masterminded the insertion of fictitious subjects into the budget, an allegation Mr. Dogara denied.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/208481-budget-padding-dogara-talks-tough-says-efcc-others-cant-probe.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by Georgeisco2007: 11:33am On Aug 12, 2016
sevenhundred:
religion kills!!! if you want to remove him now, they will complain, buhari want to islamized the nation, but hear a xtian defending corruption!!!

Pls leave religion out of this. Nobody cares to knw where he worships or the kind of religion he is into, wht the masses are after is; let justice be done. After all, all the ones he(Buhari) have been removing, are they not Christians? And the replacement have they not been muslims? Yet did it stop him from doing more and more? Dnt support evil when you don't know hw far the person has grounded himself into it. That's my own advice

1 Like

Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by deesdee: 11:38am On Aug 12, 2016
This is what happen when we close our eyes and vote for anybody that comes our way. cry sad sad I feel like crying for the masses. Hunger will kill them and no body will care among all this corrupt Legislators.

1 Like

Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by joe120120(m): 11:52am On Aug 12, 2016
TheFreeOne:

The Speaker of the House, Yakubu Dogara, on Thursday said those calling for his prosecution for his alleged involvement in the fraudulent manipulation of the 2016 budget were doing so out of sheer ignorance.

Mr. Dogara said the laws governing the National Assembly accorded all lawmakers a great degree of immunity from prosecution on the basis of exercising their legislative functions.

“It doesn’t even make sense and they have forgotten about Section 30 of the Legislative Houses (Powers and Privileges) Act, and others” which says “most of the things we do in the National Assembly are privileged,” Mr. Dogara said.

“They cannot be grounds for any investigation on the procedure or proceedings to commence against a member of parliament, either the Speaker or the President of the Senate, once they are done in the exercise of their proper functions.”

“The Constitution talks about the estimates of revenue and expenditure to be prepared and laid before the National Assembly. The constitution did not mention the word budget. And the reason is very simple. Budget is a law.

”Going by very pedestrian understanding of law which even a part one law student can tell is that the functions of government is such that the legislature makes the law, executive implements and the judiciary interprets the law,” Mr. Dogara said.

“The budget being a law, therefore, means it is only the parliament that can make it because it is a law. And I challenge all of us members the media and civil society organisations to look at our law and tell me where it is written that the president can make a budget,” Mr. Dogara said.

Mr. Dogara’s comments came while accounting for his one-year in office at a forum organised by Policy and Legal Advocacy Centre, a public policy think-tank, in Abuja.

Mr. Dogara, who has faced growing calls for him to resign from office following allegations of budget fraud, said ignorance of legislative duties on the part of some citizens was to blame for the outrage against lawmakers’ role in the 2016 budget.

He said that the National Assembly would now embark on a massive sensitisation of the public about the duties of the legislature in a constitutional republic.

“Recent efforts seeking to discredit the document are a consequence of inadequate knowledge of the legal framework governing appropriation in a presidential democracy.

“This has, nonetheless, opened a new vista of duty for us as a legislature to enhance both internal competences of Members as well as the sensitisation of the public on the role of the legislature in a presidential democracy,” Mr. Dogara said.

Mr. Dogara said the 2016 Appropriation Bill was not entirely perfect in the form it was forwarded to the legislature by the executive, saying lawmakers carried out extensive work on the document to make it acceptable.

“The 2016 budget was controversial from the onset but the House handled the controversy with maturity, employing the democratic tools of dialogue, compromise and consensus by which an implementable 2016 Budget was passed and assented to.”

For three weeks running, Mr. Dogara had been locked in fierce political and media war with Abdulmumin Jibrin, a Kano lawmaker who was removed as chairman of House Committee on Appropriation.

Mr. Jibrin said the speaker masterminded the insertion of fictitious subjects into the budget, an allegation Mr. Dogara denied.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/208481-budget-padding-dogara-talks-tough-says-efcc-others-cant-probe.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

Dogara is a mad speaker let him of the fmr speaker TORONTO
Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by paxonel(m): 11:55am On Aug 12, 2016
On budget padding:
Dogara: excuse me for a moment, Jubril.
Jubril: what is it? You sacked me, what next do you want?
Dogara: i want us to strike a deal, you know the economic recession is biting hard on Nigerians and people are forgetting that we do exist, let's make ourselves popular, let's act a movie to attract attention.
Jubril: How are we going to achieve that?
Dogara: what is that your term you normally use again?
Jubril: emm! Budget padding
Dogara: Yes, budget padding! You be the antagonist, i will be the protagonist. Your role is accuse the protagonist for budget padding.
Jubril: hmmm! Sir, what will i stand to benefit? You know my reputation is at stake here?
Dogara: Don't talk like that, we are in this APC together. You know I'm a lawyer, i can assure you that you will be protected.
Jubril: alright, since this will make us popular, can i kiss my wife to make the movie romantic?
Dogara: that is a very good idea
Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 12, 2016
Sure! Oya go ahead & declare corruption a legal venture, shameless criminal backed by a clueless c in c!
Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by Kiakia(m): 2:55pm On Aug 12, 2016
Oh well, in Nigeria, anything goes. Dogara has quoted Section 30 of the Legislative Act to suit his purpose. But he should be reminded that legislative privilege does not extend to budget padding which is a crime. Dogara has by words and actions overwhemingly confirmed that he indeed padded the 2016 national budget for his own selfish interest. EFCC should do the needful. Privilege does not cover stealing and fraud. Dogara cannot and should not be encouraged to become or turn to pen robber overnight. He is not an Accountant. I read somewhere that he is a lawyer.
Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by President99: 3:57pm On Aug 12, 2016
Sai Dogara! Jibrin should go n hug transformer
Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by lohresloco: 5:56pm On Aug 12, 2016
Apparently he is right, he might be wrong morally but if he can get the constitution to back up he's claim and he's not found wanting, guess what, he is a free man. Don't forget that a rapist that proves in court that there was no rape, is set free even though he is guilty of the crime in the eyes of the populace. Justice is never fair.
Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by Bigboss111(m): 6:30pm On Aug 12, 2016
Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by Bigboss111(m): 6:33pm On Aug 12, 2016
Bigboss111:
Sweet statements that seems right but WRONG . May God help 9ja!
Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by Mylove55(f): 6:47pm On Aug 12, 2016
Businessideas:
What insolence and obscene arrogance.
With this statement from Dogara, the die is cast and it's just a matter of time before he goes down. President Buhari made a grave blunder by allowing the politics of the national assembly in the hands of corrupt and arrogant elements like Dogara.
u must be a kid, to think it was pmb that allow dogara and saraki
Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by Mylove55(f): 7:23pm On Aug 12, 2016
Bigboss111:
dogara is so stupid, so becos executive does not make law, they cannot also prepare a budget, that is why he help d executive to prepare d budget

1 Like

Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by mikolo80: 2:58am On Aug 13, 2016
teeboila:
process of calling this yam eaters back through their constituents just too cumbersome otherwise.......
that's your problem right there
You don't want to do anything cumbersome
Yet you wonder why those who did are billionaires and you're not
Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by mikolo80: 2:59am On Aug 13, 2016
policy12:

In National Assembly is more about:
Their pockets not the people,
Apc men stealing without impunity, the painful thing is that the case will died like all those naija issue.

In Gej voice...
no be una vote them
Re: Budget Padding: Dogara Talks Tough, Says EFCC, Others Can’t Probe Him by mikolo80: 3:01am On Aug 13, 2016
DirtyGold:
With idiotz like these at the helm of affairs, I dont see this country getting any better soon. So much needs to be changed!

What's tha business?
they aren't the idiots. They're billionaires
The 170 million that voted them however.... Another story entirely

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Orders Massive Importation Of Kerosene, Say Marketers / Shiites Protest: Presidency commends Police Force for exercising Restraint / 12 Reasons Maduka Is The Choice For Ndi Anambra As Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.