Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,725 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? (2245 Views)

Does One Need To Have A Registered Business Before Selling On Online In Nigeria? / 7 Powerful Tools That One Need To Posses To Become A Successful Enterpreneur. / Send Ur Funds Tru Western Union/moneygram To China, Get Paid In Naira In 24hrs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? by Curiouscity(m): 2:47pm On Aug 12, 2016
Money was sent to my little brother for his final year project via moneygram. He went to the bank to cash it. His bank had network issues, he had to go to First Bank. He was told that there is no way to get the money without opening account with them. All pleadings fell on deaf ears.
I can recall that in recent past, I have received money transfers with just my ID card without the need for a bank account with that branch. Is this a new policy or just a banking strategy by the branch? Is this peculiar to First Bank or is it CBN directives?
Re: Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? by madridguy(m): 2:56pm On Aug 12, 2016
Yes you need to have an account with bank you're receiving MoneyGram/Western Union or you get an account holder of the bank to reference you.

Curiouscity:
Money was sent to my little brother for his final year project via moneygram. He went to the bank to cash it. His bank had network issues, he had to go to First Bank. He was told that there is no way to get the money without opening account with them. All pleadings fell on deaf ears.
I can recall that in recent past, I have received money transfers with just my ID card without the need for a bank account with that branch. Is this a new policy or just a banking strategy by the branch? Is this peculiar to First Bank or is it CBN directives?
Re: Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? by Curiouscity(m): 3:08pm On Aug 12, 2016
madridguy:
Yes you need to have an account with bank you're receiving MoneyGram/Western Union or you get an account holder of the bank to reference you.

Thank you.

What is the essence of such account? I thought the emphasis should be on proper identification. Is our International passport or driver's license not able to properly identify someone?
Why is it the cooperate headquarters of the bank denied such policy being in place?
Re: Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? by FreeWorld23: 3:20pm On Aug 12, 2016
madridguy:

that's not true, my mum receives WU In any bank with her ID card. Tho I dont know about MG because I dont use it.
Re: Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? by madridguy(m): 4:32pm On Aug 12, 2016
Well, I will not argue with you over minor issue cus I dont know where your mum resides. Here in Lagos, Nigeria, you cannot receive WESTERN UNION/ MONEY GRAM from bank you don't have an account with unless with a referee. Go to any bank and confirm that I dont argue without fact.

FreeWorld23:
that's not true, my mum receives WU In any bank with her ID card. Tho I dont know about MG because I dont use it.
Re: Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? by madridguy(m): 4:38pm On Aug 12, 2016
Well, the policy is not new though but I think its really help in fighting corruption in Western Union/MoneyGram. Most of bankers steal transaction at times since their belief is that almost everyone using the service is WRONGS guy so they will only tell you there is network and when you leave their counter they will pull down the money, and when you get to other bank you here " Picked up " or money received by the receiver. So, many of this bankers did this with the help of fake ID cards. With this policy, even if fake ID card is produced the owner of the account that referee will be held responsible.

And some cases if the money you're receiving is more than $500 they wont pay you directly, they will pay into your provided account.

Cc: FreeWorld23

Curiouscity:

Thank you.

What is the essence of such account? I thought the emphasis should be on proper identification. Is our International passport or driver's license not able to properly identify someone?
Why is it the cooperate headquarters of the bank denied such policy being in place?
Re: Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? by FreeWorld23: 4:43pm On Aug 12, 2016
madridguy:
Well, I will not argue with you over minor issue cus I dont know where your mum resides. Here in Lagos, Nigeria, you cannot receive WESTERN UNION/ MONEY GRAM from bank you don't have an account with unless with a referee. Go to any bank and confirm that I dont argue without fact.

she resides In Lagos too. Maybe it depends on area sha or new policy as u stated above.
Re: Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? by madridguy(m): 4:47pm On Aug 12, 2016
The policy is more than 2 years. Let her ask her banker when next she go for transaction.

FreeWorld23:
she resides In Lagos too. Maybe it depends on area sha or new policy as u stated above.
Re: Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? by fjlinks(m): 12:06pm On Feb 02, 2023

You only need a valid card to receive money

You can learn more about how MoneyGram Works here

Re: Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? by LogicallySXT(m): 12:14pm On Feb 02, 2023
madridguy:

Bro I have friends in Lagos that receives money through western union without any account there, just with ID card only.

Back then like a decade ago, ID was not even asked for when you have a referree there.
This is Nigeria.

I believe this is new policy.
Re: Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? by madridguy(m): 12:44pm On Feb 02, 2023
Do you check the year of the post? 2016, things are change now. Just BVN now is all you need to receive money.

LogicallySXT:

Bro I have friends in Lagos that receives money through western union without any account there, just with ID card only.

Back then like a decade ago, ID was not even asked for when you have a referree there.
This is Nigeria.

Re: Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? by LogicallySXT(m): 12:55pm On Feb 02, 2023
madridguy:
Do you check the year of the post? 2016, things are change now. Just BVN now is all you need to receive money.

True..
Re: Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? by HappyMangle: 10:35pm On Feb 03, 2023
LogicallySXT:

This is Nigeria.

Western Union has much higher fees but can be received everywhere.
Moneygram is cheaper, but you send it to a particular location (bank etc)
None of those require bank accounts. If you have some more questions, moneygram customer service is always here for you https://moneygram.pissedconsumer.com/customer-service.html. Good luck!
Re: Does One Need Bank Account To Collect Moneygram? by LogicallySXT(m): 1:21am On Feb 04, 2023
HappyMangle:

Western Union has much higher fees but can be received everywhere.
Moneygram is cheaper, but you send it to a particular location (bank etc)
None of those require bank accounts.

Exactly what I was trying to say.

(1) (Reply)

A Gas Cooker Attached To An Oven And Hotplate For Sale / Are You A Student With 50k And A Laptop? Then Come In Here. / IMPORTATION Business Training & Mentorship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.