Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,627 members, 7,816,582 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

Abandoned Pregnant Women Die In Labour Rooms - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Abandoned Pregnant Women Die In Labour Rooms (886 Views)

Why Pregnant Women Should Not Drink Zobo / RSS Officers Rush Woman In Labour To Hospital In Ketu (photos) / Why Some Nigerian Women Die At Child Birth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abandoned Pregnant Women Die In Labour Rooms by annnikky(f): 4:05pm On Aug 12, 2016
Mrs. Mary Jane Iyama (not real name) 36, got married
in June 2015 at Asaba, the capital of Delta State.
Getting married at 36 for a lady is not actually the best
of time, although many factors are always at play. This
is so because her years of child bearing are gradually
tilting to the end at this particular age. Hence, the
annoyance that followed when Mary Jane lost her baby
at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Asaba, due to the
negligence of the doctors on duty as at the time of her
delivery.

A woman’s horrible experience in the labour room.

At times, some waiting mothers are aware of when the
labour pain is set to occur following their knowledge
having delivered babies for a period of time.
For her, she was actually not aware being that was the
first pregnancy she was having at the time in question.
The time was midnight and the labour pain began.
Thereafter, she was rushed to the hospital as it has
always been the case.

She told NAIJ.com that, “the nurses and doctors on duty
at that night were good and nice to her, having battled
throughout the night, in the morning, the nurses and
doctors that came were not as friendly as the ones that
handed over to them, but before they came in, there was
another lady still in labour lying close to me. If you see
hes, you will know she is like the wife of one of the
politicians in town. ”

Somehow, the doctors and nurses concentrated on the
other lady and abandoned her to her fate. As it
happened, she felt like pushing as the baby made way
inside the womb.

But. to avoid pushing against the wishes of the doctors,
she tapped one of the doctors that concentrated on the
other lady and she was shoved aside, “I was feeling like
pushing, I now tapped the doctor, and said I feel like
pushing, he pushed my hand away. I was even in the pre- labour ward, not yet in the labour room. He said can’t bear some pains?

“ I told him that I know when I feel like pushing, he just
insulted me and left me and continued attending to the
other woman. The lady was later carried to the theatre, one nurse followed the doctors, another remained. The one that remained was just drinking tea. I now called her and said I feel like pushing, she did not even answer me. After drinking her tea, she walked away and left me in the room.

So, nobody was with me again,” Mrs. Iyama narrated.
Death As the drama between her and the nurses was getting messier, she felt she must take action to save the life of her baby, lest the baby forces its way out and the unexpected could happen since no nurse nor doctor
was with her in the labour room.

“Again, I felt like pushing, then I told myself if I sit down
here waiting for these people, this baby might just come
and fall down because the bed is high. Then I saw my
husband just passed, I decided to go and call him to look for a nurse, while I did that, another pushing urge came again, but I resisted it.

“So, when I came down as I was walking from the bed, half way into the door, I started feeling like pushing again. The pushing urge was almost getting into my nerves, going beyond control. And due to the fact that I was now standing, it would be easy, you know if a child is coming.

“It pushes on its own, not only the woman, at least it’s a
living being. So, as I was trying to bear it, the baby just
pushed itself out and hit its head on the bear floor gbim, the cord cut and I started bleeding. It was then one of the doctors that was passing then held the child back and opened the door, saw blood everywhere, that was when they started doing emergency work on me.

According to her, she was later carried into the labour
ward because the placenta went back and got itself
attached. She said the doctor that threw away her hand
at the beginning became the most serious doctor who
wanted to carry out all activities to rescue her life and
that of the baby. She said the doctors almost strangled
life out of her so that she won’t say what transpired in
the labour room between her and the doctors and
nurses.

“Six hours after that incidence, the child died. And you can see the scolding this doctor gave me in the labour room, the insult from the nurses and the cleaners, they said you want to put us in trouble. But I said I told you I was feeling like pushing, you did not listen to me. Look even as a doctor, he is supposed to know that a woman does not just push, it comes on its own, it will get to a point the woman cannot bear it, the child will push itself, it’s not a dead object, it’s a living being, but now they were blaming me that I did not wait for them and that I forcefully pushed the child out on my own.”

Mrs. Iyama was not the only woman who experienced
this treatment from doctors of the Federal Medical
Centre in Asaba. Many other women have also been
subjected to greater level of inhuman treatment from
those who are supposed to be caregivers and show love
in the hospitals. Many women in the labour room,
beside their children dying, have also died, while some
die and their children survive.

https://www.naij.com/922876-special-report-fmc-abandons-pregnant-women-die-labour-rooms.html

Re: Abandoned Pregnant Women Die In Labour Rooms by youngest85(m): 4:10pm On Aug 12, 2016
when dem go deh open legs 4 anybody
Re: Abandoned Pregnant Women Die In Labour Rooms by annnikky(f): 4:21pm On Aug 12, 2016
youngest85:
when dem go deh open legs 4 anybody
Did u read d article at all undecided
Re: Abandoned Pregnant Women Die In Labour Rooms by Esdb3: 4:22pm On Aug 12, 2016
Emmy B
Re: Abandoned Pregnant Women Die In Labour Rooms by thorpido(m): 4:26pm On Aug 12, 2016
If indeed her story is true then she should make a formal report.She should petition the COMMAND of the hospital and also write the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.She should also get a lawyer.
That's too much negligence.
Re: Abandoned Pregnant Women Die In Labour Rooms by annnikky(f): 8:33pm On Aug 12, 2016
thorpido:
If indeed her story is true then she should make a formal report.She should petition the COMMAND of the hospital and also write the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.She should also get a lawyer.
That's too much negligence.
Get a lawyer for someone that is still alive or dead cry
Re: Abandoned Pregnant Women Die In Labour Rooms by thorpido(m): 10:14pm On Aug 12, 2016
annnikky:

Did you read your own article and understand?undecided
Mary jane Iyamma is alive according to your story.I'm talking about people who lose babies out of negligence. Even those who die have family members who can take up their cases.
Re: Abandoned Pregnant Women Die In Labour Rooms by GoMaxyWears: 10:28pm On Aug 12, 2016
The storyline does not tally with the heading....don't know what to make out of this
Re: Abandoned Pregnant Women Die In Labour Rooms by GoMaxyWears: 10:28pm On Aug 12, 2016
The storyline does not tally with the heading....don't know what to make out of this grin
Re: Abandoned Pregnant Women Die In Labour Rooms by naturalwaves: 8:24am On Aug 14, 2016
annnikky:

The woman survived and that was why she was narrating the story. The heading was just to create awareness about how women die during child birth at FMC Asaba.

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Am Loosing My Mind, And This Is The 3rd Time Of Posting This, Pls Help / ivf in russia surrogate mothers in russia 88health.ru / Apple Cider Vinegar For Lose Weight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.