Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,300 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

The Victimization Of Southpaws (left Handers) In This Part Of The World - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Victimization Of Southpaws (left Handers) In This Part Of The World (626 Views)

It's August 13th, Happy Left Handers Day / It's August 13th, Happy Left Handers Day / What Is Wrong With Our Left Hand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Victimization Of Southpaws (left Handers) In This Part Of The World by vikosima(m): 1:01pm On Aug 13, 2016
Once upon a time, being left handed was linked with being evil, and left handers were discriminated against by social, educational and religious institutions. It still happens today though. Imagine someone will see you writing or eating and will be asking you questions like "are you a leftie?", "are you a leftist?"(my dear that word is associated with a political view in the US). On even went as far as saying "oh, are you a leftarner?" (like seriously, is that even an English word?).I remember while i was still in school, I was eating eba one day with my sister in the hostel and one of my roommates shouted at my sister. Her words were "why did you allow your brother use that hand to eat with you?". (If using the left hand is such a taboo, why not just cut it off? cos I know we need both hands to function properly).The continuous feeling of self consciousness while growing up and being left handed was real.So if you're a southpaw and your parents didn't succeed in making you right handed (cos mine tried & eventually won in the end after much coercion when if they were a bit patient with me, I might have honed d skill of being ambidextrous), congratulations, cos its not easy. Feeling awkward and out of sorts most of the time is almost a part of life and most people don't understand that it's not our fault. So when people try to put you down, and make you think less of yourself, remember that you share a uniqueness with legends like Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, Aristotle, Helen Keller, Henry Ford, Celine Dion, Oprah Winfrey, Angelina Jolie, Bill Gates and of course, Barack Obama, among so many others.
Today is august the 13th, and on this day 22years ago, the world left handers day was launched. The struggle still continues, since some of our elders don't realize that the world is changing and that being left handed is a gift only a few can handle.So to all my fellow southpaws out there.
HAPPY LEFT HANDERS DAY!

1 Like

Re: The Victimization Of Southpaws (left Handers) In This Part Of The World by DonOms(m): 9:03am On Aug 13, 2017
The struggle really is real. Happy Left Hander's Day to you!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is it Wrong/Ritualistic To Give Out A Gift With A Left Hand? / Gorgeous Women Parade At Caribbean Carnival, Canada (video) / Can You Buy Alcohol For Your Mum This Mothers Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.