Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Expertise Advise Urgently Needed - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Expertise Advise Urgently Needed (626 Views)

Please Kindly Advise This Young Lady / Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise / Please Kindly Advice..your Expertise Is Needed!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Expertise Advise Urgently Needed by Successbay: 1:03pm On Aug 13, 2016
Good Afternoon Nairalanders,

Please, I just bought a plot of land (60 by 120) around Atan area of Ogun State. The only proof of purchase I have is the family receipt given by the "Omo-Oniles"

Please, I intend building a duplex or 3 bedroom Bungalow with a visitor's room on it plus or minus apartments for tenants..
Please, how do I proceed?? Can I proceed with the building construction without the survey?
Or do I need to have the survey plan before I can construct the building of choice?
Apart from the fact that the land is cleared, no other work has begun on the land...
Please enlighten me, as am greener than green in this area..
As I intend to commence construction latest October ending,
Thanks.
Re: Expertise Advise Urgently Needed by Fadelex(m): 2:17pm On Aug 13, 2016
well, i will advise you to do the survey plan first, then get a building design.... you can start by fencing the plot though. you can drop your email for a design and cost.
Re: Expertise Advise Urgently Needed by Successbay: 10:04pm On Aug 13, 2016
Fadelex:
well, i will advise you to do the survey plan first, then get a building design.... you can start by fencing the plot though. you can drop your email for a design and cost.

Thanks Fadelex, my e-mail is successbay01@gmail.com, thanks chief.
Expecting a reply from you.
Re: Expertise Advise Urgently Needed by ipeg34yahooco: 5:28pm On Aug 14, 2016
Why don't you perfect the title to the land before commencing any form of construction because at best what you have is an equitable title and not a legal one.

Pls don't assume because you have a receipt,you are secured from any potential third party claims.Perfection of title at the land registry gives you peace of mind.

All the best.

www.summitsolicitors.com
Re: Expertise Advise Urgently Needed by Successbay: 6:58pm On Aug 15, 2016
ipeg34yahooco:
Why don't you perfect the title to the land before commencing any form of construction because at best what you have is an equitable title and not a legal one.
Pls don't assume because you have a receipt,you are secured from any potential third party claims.Perfection of title at the land registry gives you peace of mind.

All the best.

www.summitsolicitors.com

Thanks @ ipeg34@yahooco.
Will do as advised, any additional info will be beneficial, thanks.
Re: Expertise Advise Urgently Needed by ipeg34yahooco: 4:51pm On Aug 16, 2016
Hi,

Here is what I think you should do:
1. Get a surveyor to the land from the surveyor general's office to ensure you have not acquired a property under commited government acquisition.(This you should have done before making any form of payment at all)

2. Once you are sure it is free from committed goverment acquisition,then have a lawyer draft a deed of assignment which transfers ownership to you (although at this stage you only have an equitable title to the land)

3. Once the deed is signed,you can get a registered surveyor to draft your survey plan.

4. Then with the copies of the receipt,deed of assignment and survey plan,proceed to Land registry for an application for C of O.

The C of O transfers legal title to you and secures you from any possible third party claims.You can now sleep with your two eyes closed.

While the process is on at Land registry ,you can commence whatever you plan to construct on the land.Pls consult with a competent lawyer while you at it.

I hope this will help.
Cheers
Re: Expertise Advise Urgently Needed by Successbay: 1:15am On Aug 17, 2016
ipeg34yahooco:
Hi,

Here is what I think you should do:
1. Get a surveyor to the land from the surveyor general's office to ensure you have not acquired a property under commited government acquisition.(This you should have done before making any form of payment at all)

2. Once you are sure it is free from committed goverment acquisition,then have a lawyer draft a deed of assignment which transfers ownership to you (although at this stage you only have an equitable title to the land)

3. Once the deed is signed,you can get a registered surveyor to draft your survey plan.

4. Then with the copies of the receipt,deed of assignment and survey plan,proceed to Land registry for an application for C of O.

The C of O transfers legal title to you and secures you from any possible third party claims.You can now sleep with your two eyes closed.

While the process is on at Land registry ,you can commence whatever you plan to construct on the land.Pls consult with a competent lawyer while you at it.

I hope this will help.
Cheers

@ipeg34yahooco,
Your advice does help a great deal, Thanks a mil!
Re: Expertise Advise Urgently Needed by ipeg34yahooco: 11:07am On Aug 17, 2016
Successbay:

@ipeg34yahooco, Your advice does help a great deal, Thanks a mil!
You are welcome

(1) (Reply)

Available Lands In Ibeju-lekki, Ota, Warri And Owerri / Propertymart Real Estate Ltd Special Offer / 2bedrm Flat 4 Rent@ Oke Ira Nla Estate 4 N500k -08167559417

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.